• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
I am down for either pair. There is a lot of appeal in having two Falchions in play and I think Chrom or Lucina could certainly do to stand out better, while Robin could have more than enough flavour on her own.

In any case, I think it is one of the most interesting things the series has to offer. Trying to implement an Awakening character, I think that would be the thing that stands out most. I think for the most part whether or not we get it depends on whether they want to make it work on the technical front. It is easy to implement in Fire Emblem: Awakening since combat is so isolated, only two areas are graphically intensive (CH10 and the final, both resulted in loss of frame-rate), and player input is largely inconsequential. To translate it into Smash Bros as an active fighter is a nightmare, and I am afraid the 3DS in particular would have a fit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Still think the dual system would be a reasonable outcome for a new FE character.

Though after experiencing what it's about for myself during SmashBoard's downtime (by playing the demo), my initial thought of having it be a Chrom and Lucina pair doesn't seem that great. Instead, it'd be better with Chrom and Avatar.

(And yes, I see why Frederick is awesome now)

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
My most wanted Fire Emblem Character is Lyon. Think it would be cool with a necromancy based fighter in Smash.

Hong

The Strongest
Ike didn't even ****ing need no Jeigan.

Feed him one chapter and he will be all set to solo the rest of the game. If you are playing on the Maniac difficulty on the Japanese PoR, you might want to let Titania helpout a bit for the first two chapters, but after that he is all set.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ike is too powerful and hence, awesome in PoR. In my first playthrough, he was One-hit killing enemies even before I reached that Laguz kingdom, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike is equally powerful in FE10 though. Only a little less capable than Caineghis and Tibarn perhaps, but those two guys are insane.

Hong

The Strongest
Ike is too powerful and hence, awesome in PoR. In my first playthrough, he was One-hit killing enemies even before I reached that Laguz kingdom, whose name escapes me at the moment.
Gallia, if you mean the beast tribe. And yeah, he is pretty absurd. Even lances would hit him for like 0-2 damage unless it was in the hands of a Knight. The only thing that stops him from being too ridiculous is his lack of accessible indirect attacks for the sake of countering everyone he engages. And then Ragnell happens.

I think Celica is another overlooked powerhouse that didn't need a Jeigan, mostly because her game is both obscure and kind of ridiculous. She is a super agile and strong sword-user who automatically counters indirect attacks with magic. Sure magic used HP in that game, but she learns Resire/Nosferatu within the earliest chapters. Then again I don't think people usually count Gaiden. That game had mages on the front-line.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Gallia, if you mean the beast tribe. And yeah, he is pretty absurd. Even lances would hit him for like 0-2 damage unless it was in the hands of a Knight. The only thing that stops him from being too ridiculous is his lack of accessible indirect attacks for the sake of countering everyone he engages. And then Ragnell happens.

I think Celica is another overlooked powerhouse that didn't need a Jeigan, mostly because her game is both obscure and kind of ridiculous. She is a super agile and strong sword-user who automatically counters indirect attacks with magic. Sure magic used HP in that game, but she learns Resire/Nosferatu within the earliest chapters. Then again I don't think people usually count Gaiden. That game had mages on the front-line.
Didn't bows have, like, 4 range in Gaiden?

Hong

The Strongest
Ike is equally powerful in FE10 though. Only a little less capable than Caineghis and Tibarn perhaps, but those two guys are insane.
Ike is indeed just as powerful in this game. The thing is Radiant Dawn is all about giving you units you don't want to use, or in this case giving you units when you need them least. He comes with the Greil Mercenaries, a group of units with some of the best stats in the game for their respective classes.

Imagine if Ike had been with the Dawn Brigade. Any difficulty that game had would immediately evaporate.
Didn't bows have, like, 4 range in Gaiden?
Yes, and sometimes in the hands of classes who wouldn't take damage from most enemies in a direct engagement, anyway. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
God, even Rolf in the Dawn Brigade would make that Part so much easier. Radiant Dawn Hard runs are a ***** only cause of the Dawn Brigade honestly. :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Edward is good, Nolan is good to, sometimes. Leonardo only grows in Skill and Luck. Micaiah gets doubled and killed by everyone.

Jill should've joined with a higher base level, especially with higher HP and Strenght. That would save a lot of trouble early on.

Hong

The Strongest
I think someone like Gatrie would have rounded off the Dawn Brigade perfectly.

Nolan is your tankiest character with the most availability. With a lot of attention from healers and early feeding so he doesn't get doubled, he can make do, though he gets a bit overworked. I think they intended players to use Meg but :[.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
FE1/FE11 Caeda
FE2 Don't know any of them
F3/FE12 Tiki yay loopholes
FE4 Ira
FE5 Dagda
FE6 Dieck
FE7 Serra
FE8 Dozla
FE9 Devdan
FE10 Laura
FE13 Anna
I see you have Devdan. Wouldn't you prefer Dandev? He's a much better character in my opinion.

Aran is too slow. The problem with Dawn Brigade is that you don't get enough time with them. With the Greil Mercenaries you essentially get the for two games. You get the dawn brigade for only a fourth.

I don't use Jeigans, so I don't care much for Frederick unless I marry him to someone.

For Awakening pairs I would prefer either Lucina and Chrom or A female avatar and Chrom. I'm sick of all customizable characters being preset to male. If you could change the avatar's gender at the select screen, that would be ok as well. I just don't want a purely default male avatar.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Aran is good too, at least from what I've heard.
No not really. He's got Defence yeah. But will not double attack ever, unless extremely lucky. And he's not exactly strong either in most cases. He CAN potentially be a good unit. But I'd still replace him for Nephenee when the oppertunity arises.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Edward is good, Nolan is good to, sometimes. Leonardo only grows in Skill and Luck. Micaiah gets doubled and killed by everyone.

Jill should've joined with a higher base level, especially with higher HP and Strenght. That would save a lot of trouble early on.
Aran is good too, at least from what I've heard.
All of these things.

The Dawn Brigade sucks because you don't really get a lot of time to train them and they start at the lowest levels possible. I mean, for half of the game you don't get to play as them. And when you do all your enemies have the stats of ****ing 3rd tier units.

Sothe, while being one of my favorite units, sucks. Only useful in the early game and then becomes ****ty toward the latter half. Which is annoying. They should have made his third tier class better. (didn't it have lower maximum luck? what the **** even).

Nolan, Edward, Micaiah and Aran have enormous potential.

Sadly, Edward, Micaiah and, to a lesser extend, Aran are pretty fragile early on.
Edward can grow into the most well-rounded Trueblades in the game if given proper attention, but sadly his defensive growths are weak up until his Third Tier class.

Aran has pretty solid growths overall, but suffers from poor killing ability due to his lack of speed. He becomes a pretty capable tank if you take the time to train him, but sadly getting easy kills with him is difficult due to his (almost) complete inability to double attack. Training him cam be a pain for this reason, but if you do he is very capable.

Micaiah, obviously, is very fragile. She's a mage. It's their thing. But she is very capable of destroying enemies at range. She useful if used as mage should be.

Nolan, is one of the best Dawn Brigade Members - capable of dealing large amounts of damage, tanking and (more often than not) doubling. He starts out on a slightly higher level than the rest of the Dawn Brigade and has pretty good growths. He suffers from poor hit percentage, but that;s too be expected from anyone of his class. He also has access to a very large amount of powerful axes.

Meg has incredible growths, but is an incredible pain to train. She comes in low level, is very slow and has poor accuracy, despite that her defense is high which makes her okay to train. She can become very powerful. It is really annoying to do, though.

Jill seems to have been nerfed considerably from the previous game, and now falls waaaaay behind Haar in everything possible. In Path of Radiance she was almost as capable as he was.

Leonardo isn't useless. But he sure isn't very useful, either. His growths aren't really worth the time to develop. Especially with so many ranged swords and axes coming into play later on in the game. Training him for the first section of the game is alright.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, it's really funny actually how much better Haar is in RD than PoR. It's like, he and Jill decided to switch between who was the stronger one just for the heck of it. It makes sence though. Same with Rolf and Shinon. Even though Rolf can become a cool Marksman to, he lacks Shinon's speed.

Nolan can be good, but I always prefer Boyd above him, despite his nerf (that base Speed :urg:). His usability is extremely reliant on his Speed though, and even THEN I ended up with bad Strenght Nolans a couple of time. So yeah, Boyd does the job much better to me.

Leonardo, Aran, Jill and Nolan are wayyyy too growth-dependant to be of great use. It takes luck more than anything. *sigh* Wish Sothe and Zihark gained a little more Exp in Part 1. I'd just use them alone probably, with Micaiah.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The only problem I had with Radiant Dawn was having to deal with Part 1 for multiple playthroughs, I wish they could of made it like FE7, where you can skip the begining part of the game, after completing the story once.

Edit:Actually wasn't the only problem, but the one I seem to face, recently

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I see you have Devdan. Wouldn't you prefer Dandev? He's a much better character in my opinion.

Aran is too slow. The problem with Dawn Brigade is that you don't get enough time with them. With the Greil Mercenaries you essentially get the for two games. You get the dawn brigade for only a fourth.

I don't use Jeigans, so I don't care much for Frederick unless I marry him to someone.

For Awakening pairs I would prefer either Lucina and Chrom or A female avatar and Chrom. I'm sick of all customizable characters being preset to male. If you could change the avatar's gender at the select screen, that would be ok as well. I just don't want a purely default male avatar.

I would put Danved but that would affect my loophole to put Laura :troll:. I really like Laura's cute short hair I like how it blends really well with her outfit. If Radiant Dawn's new characters had more personality I would have liked to see more of Laura. The little screentime she did get I thought she was funny and likable, same for Heather. The problem with Radiant Dawn was the way it treated the cast outside of Greil's mercenaries. The new characters don't have as much opportunity as Ike's team, and the returning characters could get transfers the new ones couldn't. That and most of the new characters had absolutely not enough available chapters compared to the Greil mercenaries. Compare Fiona to Oscar, she loses out not just because of base stats but because her availability is simply way too low and the type of maps she is put in do not help her situation.

I use Jeigans sometimes but I mainly use Frederick as Lissa's support character, I just love how they look together. Her carrying a huge axe backed up by the Great Knight with a huge axe. :laugh: Isn't the Avatar canonly female? Morgan is supposed to be Mark from Fire Emblem 7 and Mark's preset gender is Male, so that would mean Robin is female? If Robin were to be a newcomer for smash bros I think they should give the option to the player to select the gender. After all the main point of the character is to be the gender the player wants them to be.

If Anna was a lord in the next game, I would totally buy.

If that happens I will buy 10 copies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hard Mode Radiant Dawn is like playing the game on reverse, it gets wayyy easier every time you progress but the first part DAYUM...

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I turtle part 1 a lot so by the time I get to part 3 they're all equal or greater to the Greil mercenaries. Since Micaiah and Laura can heal spam they don't get many kills in Part 1.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So any comments on Roy being in Project M?

They did a really good job with both the moveset and design. He actually looks and performs like how he would have been had he made it for Brawl.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

They did a really good job with both the moveset and design. He actually looks and performs like how he would have been had he made it for Brawl.

I think they could of changed his moves a little more but other than that I like this Roy, he can live up to his role of being a "beatdown" character now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I guess yeah. But with Marth having his Melee Neutral B in PM, I wish they would've changed Roy's. To be ranged or something. Now Marth, Roy and Ike have more or less the same B attack in a sence. Seeing these 3 togheter like this isn't much different than Marth, Ike and Chrom could be in the main game. Chrom would potentially be more unique than PM's Roy.

But I guess I shouldn't compare it to that. PM has a different crowd anyway, but seeing Roy like this makes me less against clones in general. Roy looks real flashy, despite just being one move away from a full Marth clone. They really did a good job overall. Model especially looks real good! They could've gone for one of the plenty already good looking, but they went and made their own? That's dedication, and makes the game look really professional.

If Roy would be like this in Smash 4, I wouldn't mind him. In fact, I think clones in general aren't even such a bad idea. As long as their playstyle is different enough. So Dr.Mario still doesn't do for me for example. But Chrom as a clone of Ike would, provided they're as different as Marth and Roy.

Hong

The Strongest
I started a discussion about Roy in Project M a few pages ago, ChronoBound.
The only problem I had with Radiant Dawn was having to deal with Part 1 for multiple playthroughs, I wish they could of made it like FE7, where you can skip the begining part of the game, after completing the story once.
I have a number of other problems with Radiant Dawn.

Most of it boils down to some poorly designed chapters later on in the game. I blame the entirety of this to the fact the game was rushed late in development, so it would make sense they didn't have enough time to refine things towards the end. Some nitpicks would also be lack of Wii pointer control (a combination of the fact it began development as a GCN title, and the aforementioned development constraints) and issues with localization. Aside from a few things being changed for no reason, the voice work could have been better ("THE QUEEN'S MEN ARE ATTACKING!"). Thankful Nintendo has drastically improved their cast selection, as evident as what we got with Awakening.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

It would be a tossup between Ike and Roy if this was his brawl design. It would be a battle between FE Nostalgia and Melee Nostalgie.
I use Jeigans sometimes but I mainly use Frederick as Lissa's support character, I just love how they look together. Her carrying a huge axe backed up by the Great Knight with a huge axe. :laugh: Isn't the Avatar canonly female? Morgan is supposed to be Mark from Fire Emblem 7 and Mark's preset gender is Male, so that would mean Robin is female? If Robin were to be a newcomer for smash bros I think they should give the option to the player to select the gender. After all the main point of the character is to be the gender the player wants them to be.
\
Frederick usually gets paired up with Sumia for me if she isn't married to Chrom. I put him just about every where else. Frederick and Lissa is fun because they are on the cover of the game together.

Don't think the Avatar is canonly femalely? The size and shape of him/her in art and in the intro suggests Robin is male to me.

I don't think Mark is supposed Morgan. They just reused the design/name in Japan. However, it's pretty awesome that DLC Lyn asks you if you're the tactician that she met. If you say yes, she will be glad you have been reunited. Which is awesome in a meta way if you played FE7/

Completely agree on the gender thing. The female Robin would just allow me to headcanon Chrom x Robin.

Who is the most useful member of Dawn Brigade and the later Daein Liberation Army? I would say it's Nolan.

Hong

The Strongest
I would say Micaiah.

She receives a lot of bashing for being a slow and squishy lord that can't take direct engagements. Well, it is true. She is not a general combat unit. On the other hand, she is a pivotal supporter after she has access to staves (having Laura around only enhances her, in a way), and Thani can outright one-shot anything susceptible to its armour-crushing properties. She might not be thrown bodies left and right, but Micaiah is always busy holding the Dawn Brigade together. I like Nolan as well since he provides you with some much needed meat.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am slightly warming up for the Tactican to become playable. Only if they somehow make a Tactican class a standard in the Fire Emblem series from now on. But that's a big but if.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Even more so that he/she would bring unique moveset potential and new setups for competitive play. I'm vying for someone who isn't a straight-up Lord to accompany them now. Chrom & Robin would also be cool depending on how the Pair Up system is implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom