• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. I am not digging these roster lineups that like

Marth
Ike
Roy
Chrom
Lucina

So boring. :( While I can't count on them to see the vision I have of Anna, I know Robin is a concept much simpler to understand, so I think she is a more reasonable expectation.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
How my cast hopes currently are for me:

Chrom
A Pair Up team consisting of Chrom/Lucina or Chrom/Robin
Marth
Robin
Roy OR Ike
Anna OR Tiki

Well, having all those characters at once certainly wouldn't be for the good of the other series we have pushing for space. XD

Do you think Sakurai realizes the reception of the Fire Emblem pairs for the past two games by now and will implement a character with a fresh moveset? He really emphasizes his fighter criteria and has done some interesting revisions with things such as Bowser.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Tactician is already a recurring role, but not yet a continuing class. FE7 has a tactician after all. I think it's likely to continue, given the success of Fire Emblem: Awakening coming probably from in part that role. I don't think it will always be a main character akin to Robin, but I definitely see a avatar unit continuing in the future. It was also in FE12, so that's two entries in a row.

If I was to pick four characters for FE, it would be
Marth
Ike
Lucina (preferable) or Lucina and Chrom pair up
The Tactician (Female)

I think the Tactician's chance are highly underrated.
Do you think Sakurai realizes the reception of the Fire Emblem pairs for the past two games by now and will implement a character with a fresh moveset? He really emphasizes his fighter criteria and has done some interesting revisions with things such as Bowser.
I doubt that. Sakurai's own choices seem to be not very responsive to what the fans want. Not to mention I don't think Ike was terribly received. His moveset was very unique and he's a popular choice, if that's what you mean. I think the only problem FE might face is overall sword fatigue within Smash, given possible newcomers like Shulk and Isaac. But I don't think he will go back to a GBA lord just to get another weapon.

I think Micaiah has a good shot if Sakurai really takes to heart diversity and FE were somehow to get four reps, because I don't see her getting in before an Awakening rep.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be surprised if we just get Marth and Chrom with no one else in the mesh this time around, but that would disappoint me. Yeah, Ike uses his sword in his own way and why should Chrom be limited between them? If lances/spears are incorporated as a move either by default or custom that introduces more to him.

Shulk, Isaac, and even Saki might have their own contentions with each other as do the Lords. Isaac may also outprioritize Robin because of his archetype and Japanese name. The latter could get around.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I wouldn't be surprised if we just get Marth and Chrom with no one else in the mesh this time around, but that would disappoint me. Yeah, Ike uses his sword in his own way and why should Chrom be limited between them? If lances/spears are incorporated as a move either by default or custom that introduces more to him.

Shulk, Isaac, and even Saki might have their own contentions with each other as do the Lords. Isaac may also outprioritize Robin because of his archetype and Japanese name. The latter could get around.
The whole Chrom as a middle stat character is something the Smash community has just decided upon, and I think it should be just dispelled completely. In Smash, the character's strategies have more to do than just stats. If Chrom just fights differently (with a different rhythm and playstyle) than Ike and Marth, the stat distribution won't really matter. It's more about how he plays that will differentiates him from Marth and Ike.

Robin's name in Japanese isn't Robin, so I don't think there will be any clash for that reason.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
If Chrom gets in and uses spears exclusively, it will be a good thing indeed.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'm sure Chrom already has a few movesets made by others, but I made one myself. Not exactly sure what Sakurai based his inspirational material on, but his Neutral B is actually used as an animation. Unless I'm missing something, were Marth and Ike shown using each of their moves in some way during cutscenes, gameplay, etc.? I'm sure it doesn't matter in the end.

B: Leaping Slash
(Chrom bends slightly and holds out his Falchion before jumping in a forward arc and slashing in front of him. Arc increases with charge. At full charge, Chrom leaps high and far enough to dodge large, linear projectiles.)
Side B: Hurricane Spin (Chrom spins him and his Falchion forward. You can sweetspot the attack for up to two successive strikes.)
Up B: Spear Carousel > Throw (Chrom takes a spear and spins it above him so fast that it carries him up in the air. After this, Chrom has the option to toss the spear below, left, or right.)
Down B: Counter
(Self-explanatory. Although the arc in which he attacks would be different from Marth/Roy/Ike.)

Final Smash ideas?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
More like lazily inspired Lord fatigue within Smash.
I suppose so. I rescind my earlier statement of 'Chrom getting in using lances only would be a fine thing'. He is blaorindg in personality as well. Still, Chrom using only lances is the best form he's got.

Hong

The Strongest
I think a fair way to see how Sakurai-san comes up with new characters is he literally breezes over everything Nintendo has released and asks if a certain character has any potential for something fun, and then asks if it is worthwhile. Worthwhile as in, will it be worth the time it takes to plan, design, draw, code, balance a character, and if it is worth the fun experiences they will bring. Of course staple characters like Link or Mario happen because they need to happen, and I am sure internally there are certain suggestions such as Ike, but beyond that, this would be a fair way of assuming how he functions. If you don't think that is a fair assumption, then correct me. It would fall nicely with what he has stated before, and more recently.

It would make a whole lot of sense for characters such as the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and Wii Fit Trainer. They are not really popular characters, and only Game & Watch could be considered vaguely pivotal, but if you were to sample their respective games, only Ice Climber would take much imagination to make into a fighter. Even someone like Captain Falcon is actually surprisingly simple in delivery: combining the high speed of his games with elements of super sentai, to reflect his name and image. While people are often upset because the series does not have such and such popular character or enough female fighters, i am sure it is more about the fact nothing really jumped out enough to design it, more so than the director having any sort of vendetta.

So going forward with this, I think trying to make the pairing system work in Smash Bros is a very natural evolution, since the characters and the way they interact with each other on the battlefield jumps out about Awakening more than anything. It could make for such a cool fighting style that is different from everything else. That said, it would require a massive workload far exceeding most of if not all the cast, and that's not even getting into technical issues. I am sure he would love to work in a new Fire Emblem character to fulfill fanservice,and would get advice from the creators to do so. I think IS, as well as the Pokemon Company, actually have a fair amount of say in what characters appear. Even if the three lords from Awakening don't seem interesting to Sakurai-san, I am sure that with how largely inconsequential the choice of Fire Emblem character is in terms of how they fight, he would make them work as he did with Ike.

When I see someone like Tiki or Anna happening, it is specifically because he has some crazy idea that we would normally not expect, but I doubt it. Ultimately, at the end of the day, I hate when people make up stupid rules for which characters can or cannot showup. Be it they are just a supporting character, not a fighter to begin with or whatever. All of this has been tossed aside before, and will continue to be discarded in necessitation of what is the most fun. if you were to ask me who I think is the most likely Fire Emblem newcomer, I would say "Chrom", though I acknowledge that they could have an idea for something that could make for a more fun game overall.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
More like lazily inspired Lord fatigue within Smash.
nah, that's just you.

Marth and Ike are popular characters within Smash. Ike is the most played character in Brawl and Marth is probably among the most played in Melee.

People can't have lord fatigue based on characters that have yet to make a playable appearance in Smash (Chrom, Lucina, Lyn etc). I don't get how anyone could get so worked up about characters who have yet to even be confirmed. Because ultimately, character popularity in a video game comes to how a character plays.

Hong

The Strongest
Anyone find the whole "Danved will fight like ten men" thing to be false advertising?

What kind of men are we talking about here? I guess if you fielded him against nine unarmed civilians he might come out on top, though I am pretty sure if he went up against any more than a single armed and trained soldier of either gender he would die.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Who is the most useful member of Dawn Brigade and the later Daein Liberation Army? I would say it's Nolan.

In usefulness I would rank them depending on which part of the game we're talking about. Sothe is very useful in part 1 but he is handicapped by his late promotion and not very good offense or defense for part 3 and 4. I'd say Jill and Nolan are the most useful members of Daein's Liberation army.

Nolan is available longer has good defense and Tarvos, Jill is one of the best classes and has workable bases. Edward can be very good too but his defense can either get in the way or not be as good as Nolan's or Jill's. Sothe would be the best if he weren't promoted so late.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Most useful overall? Sothe, hands down. Best potential character to grow: Edward. Though Nolan has a shot to.

@ Danved fighting like 10 men: Yes, he would fight like 10 men. In fact, he'd probably do much better!

If he was with the Dawn Brigade.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At least 10 Nolans when he starts out.

I once took Devdan with me to End Game btw. :cool:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
At least 10 Nolans when he starts out.

I once took Devdan with me to End Game btw. :cool:
That's not possible. Devdan is only in PoR.

I would say Nolan is the most reliable member of the Dawn Brigade. I found Micaiah lack of defense really hurting her as a main character. Once it become the Daein Liberation Army, Jill takes it for best unit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I meant Danved then I suppose. :laugh:

Devdan I actually never trained. Nephenee was just too good at that point always. At least Danved gets time to shine without her being around a little. Then again, Nephenee ended up much better anyway in RD to... Kinda weird how they completely filled around Devdan and Danved's growths though. Devdan was good with Strenght, bad with Skill and Speed, Danved is the complete opposite.

Hong

The Strongest
Ah, the inevitable downside of being a new Wii U owner:

No GCN memory card slot. Need to boot up RD on the original Wii if I want to get dem transfer bonuses.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If I get a Wii U, I think I'll keep my Wii to indeed. Probably to run Project M (never played it yet), and play PoR and RD on.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If I get a Wii U, I think I'll keep my Wii to indeed. Probably to run Project M (never played it yet), and play PoR and RD on.
I haven't played Project M either, I'm mostly waiting for 3.0, or at least 2.7 if Roy tempts me.

I actually never used the data transfer in RD, is their a significant difference in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No not significant, but bonusses are nice to have for some characters. Ike starts with like, 27 Strenght and near maxed Skill and Speed when you transfer stats for example. Not that he needs it (he's gonna get it anyway) but for some characters as Jill, Boyd, Marcia, Geoffrey and Oscar it's a nice thing I suppose.

Luigi160

Smash Cadet
Getting A supports in PoR will add some additional conversations between those characters in RD as well.

Hong

The Strongest
Aside from the supports (IkexSoren HNNGK), the stat transfer bonuses kind of make or break Jill, in my opinion.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I always have transferred over stats, so admittedly I don't know what any characters are without the transfer.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
That doesn't even make an ounce of sense in the slightest.
If Chrom or whoever is added plays well, it doesn't matter how bland you think they are. There will be people that will pick that character as their favorite.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
FalKoopa, you're such a troll.

Also, I don't care what you think about the Dawn Brigade, but I managed to promote all of the Dawn Brigade units before the end of Part 1. Yes, that included Meg, Aran, Laura and Fiona.

Aran was one hell of a tank and Meg doubled almost all enemies and Fiona was plain awesome when I got to play as the DB again in Part 3.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Someone at SF also pointed out that Miss Fit did have her English voice already though...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Someone at SF also pointed out that Miss Fit did have her English voice already though...
That was me IIRC. however, it's possible that they just used clips from Wii Fit for the English trailer. Note that all the gameplay we've seen of her has her speaking in Japanese.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Did you Boss Abuse?
Alongside Priest abuse. In the mission where you recruit Tormod, Muarim and Vika, the boss has life regeneration and it's a good opportunity to train some of your weaker units. It might be boring, but makes the DB's hardest missions a cakewalk.

Another thing I did was to never use Sothe and Tauroneo to fight. Instead, I unequipped their weapons and used them to distract the enemies. Sothe dodged everything while Tauroneo always took no damage from the enemy attacks.

When you recruit Meg, give her a Wind Edge and use Nolan or Edward to give most damage to the enemies and have Meg to finish them off at a distance. Given the enemies in that level are Laguz, that means a crapload of experience for her and she quickly gains enough speed to double the tigers and wreak havoc. Once again, unequip Sothe's weapon and have him distract the enemies since they can't hit him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom