• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No, I'd prefer Lyn over Roy maybe, as she'd have a far more unique style of fighting. Yet am only listing what I feel is the most likely to happen. Doesn't mean I don't want Lyn or anything.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
With Lucina we'd get our female sword fighter

Still is blue haired though
Eh. I'd like to see her as a Marth alt, but (and I feel like this is flamebait, but I'm sure someone will be amused by it) I have the feeling the less intelligent in the audience won't be able to see the difference.

Constructive: The only character I see in the running for FE rep is Chrom, really. Nothing's changed for Lyn since Brawl, except that Ike is no longer an option. Micaiah, the Black Knight, etc. are in similar boats (except maybe Micaiah, as I think Brawl developement started in 2005, which was 2 years before her game was released. So, she could be exempt from this. Again, maybe. Doesn't mean I expect her by any stretch of the imagination, though, as I think Chrom is still more likely simply due to being new and still popular).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With Lucina we'd get our female sword fighter

Still is blue haired though
Could also be possible, and maybe I'd prefer that but like Roy she would at best be a half clone of Marth.

Wonder what special skills she'd have in Awakening, haven't seen much of her yet but would like to see someone write about what she could do.

I also think it depends on how Marth plays most I think? If he stays mostly untouched from Marth, with a mix of his Melee self, Lucina could have a couple of moves unique from Marth. She holds her blade similar to Ike's stance, but with two hands, and a lighter blade. She could be fighting with some aerial moves from Awakening, and a few moves of how Swordmasters and Trueblades fight in Radiant Dawn?

Marth himself even borrowed some moves from FE4 and FE5 with Dancing Blade as show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6GK8sj71rQ . It's funny how much he also takes from his FE1 self. Maybe dancing blade could now be called Astra though? As I read he learns that in FE13. Just saying, Marth in Brawl and Melee borrowed moves from FE4 and FE5 that where not his perse, so in a way those games where still looked at for inspiration.

Which is also why I want Ike to stay, as he really takes a lot after his FE9 playstyle, which could be revamped a little with his FE10 self. If they'd be looking at Radiant Dawn for ideas for moveset, why not keep Ike? Radiant Dawn and Awakening still have the most lively combat animations. Hopefully this'll make Ike use axes as well somewhere in his moves. Maybe for his Smashes only? Or a new neutral B attack? Eruption (hopefully a blue flame like in Project M) could be his Down B then.

Anyway, have hopes that we'll at least get Marth, Ike and Chrom. Which could already represent all recent Fire Emblem releases nicely. Marth from the DS era, with inspirations from Shadow for tilts and Astra for Side B. Ike with some axe attacks, Radiant Dawn attacks for titls (possibly a rather slow, but double sword hit attack like Link's F Smash?) and his appearance could be like his Radiant Dawn style. Also, he could be even stronger and heavier this time! Which I hope, cause it would give a nice contrast to Chrom, and make him stand out. Chrom would be inspired by his Awakening fighting style, which would probably be moves he uses in cutscenes and his battle animations. Awakening seems animation-heavy, so no doubt they'd find a style for him. Also, I hear he can use Lances.

Lucina and Roy are my biggest bets for a 4th character. But am leaning to Roy now a little untill I learn about Lucina more. Roy has the Sword of Seals that could give him a few moves appart from Marth. But he'd, like Chrom, at best be a mix between Marth and Ike, but Chrom fits this role much better. Hence I also think he's not really needed. And Lyn would offer more for example.

But really... Micaiah would also be a wicked addition as a mage character though, and she'd be even better with Sothe paired up with her. A revamped Zelda / Sheik idea even. Or perhaps spiritual replacement. Anyway, they'd be based on their fighting styles in Radiant Dawn, but in a duo pair similar to double battles in Awakening. You'd rather think Chrom / Lucina would be more logical, but that'd be like pairing Diddy and Dixie Kong togheter. A shame. Sothe is Micaiah's protector, and he could perhaps be controlled by tilts, while Micaiah does specials? You'd interswitch with Down B, but they're both rather frail, so caution is needed. Micaiah could use a healing staff for Sothe, and Sothe could use Side B as Guard to automatically guard Micaiah, taking damage for her. It's a strecht but possiblity. They tried it before with Diddy and Dixie, so this idea would be similar to them. Sothe also had a thropy in Brawl, which is saying something. :rolleyes:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If there were four Fire Emblem characters, we would definitely get Roy. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If any other character were:
- Playable in Melee
- Popular in Melee
- Planned for Brawl (and almost made it in)
- One of the most wanted characters in Japan.
- One of the Top 10 most wanted characters in the West.
- The most wanted character for his series.

They would be hailing him/her/it as a likely shoe-in for Smash 4. Really, Roy is very underrated in terms of his chances.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
@ Chronobound how do you see Chrom and Roy compared to one another right now as far as chances? After seeing Chrom in the demo and videos on youtube, I really like him, but I happen to like Roy too.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing both of them.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@ Chronobound how do you see Chrom and Roy compared to one another right now as far as chances? After seeing Chrom in the demo and videos on youtube, I really like him, but I happen to like Roy too.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing both of them.
I think the two most likely scenarios are:

Marth
Chrom

or

Marth
Roy
Ike

If Chrom gets in, I see him being a luigi-fied version of Ike (though he won't have Eruption and probably not Great Aether).

I think four characters is possible though because the Fire Emblem characters are usually the most popular newcomers for Smash Bros., and Roy would be relatively easy and popular character to re-include (Sakurai likely already has his Luigi-fication ideas for Roy already mapped out from Brawl's development).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So if there are 4 characters, do you expect Chrom and Roy? Or Roy and someone else?

I don't know what it is about Chrom, but I REALLY like the guy. Enough to buy Awakening when it comes out and actually play my first Fire Emblem game lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom could always be a 3DS exclusive I think. But yeah, if we'd get 4 characters, Roy would definitely make it I feel. Popular in demand, and easier to include due to being playable in Melee.

Roy is a far easier to make character than most, and a reminder Fire Emblem has mostly Japanese fans. We Westerns would have Ike, and possibly Chrom if he's received well, so Marth and Roy could be targeted for the Japanese audience. Lucas still got in Brawl anyway, and if Takamaru will be added, Roy's inclusion is less of a problem as well I'd think. He would clearly be Luigified though, if the Eruption of Ike gave some indications. He could be the 'Wolf / Toon Link of SSB4', though more to the Wolf-side I hope. I don't think we're fully done with clone or half-clone (Lucas, Ganondorf, Wolf ect.) characters in Smash anyway, and there's no reason to think they're bad. In Roy's case, I wouldn't mind it actually.

However I hope he'll also have a projectile based on the Sword of Seals, as that would especially make him stand out to other Fire Emblem characters. Sorry, but a flame blade is still kinda impressive if incorperated to his moveset well. :roymelee: His regular and Smash moves could have a fiery effect for example, possibily buffing it's strenght a few %s. If Roy keeps his sweetspot in the center of the blade, he'll need every bit of extra strenght he can get.

And if Marth has a Luigified clone, maybe that'd make Chrom easier to design as a Ike Luigified clone as well? Generally speaking, I like characters most who'd be unique additions. But if some GOOD exceptions can be made, I'd like to include them to buff the roster. Think: Dixie Kong (Wolf-like to Diddy, different specials, similar A moves) , Impa (shares some moves with Sheik, or is spiritual replacement of Sheik, different specials and fighting style is also very possible though- but based on Sheik's style of play or maybe even Lucas and Lucario if they'd ever get cut?), , Bowser Jr. (Toad first, but prefer him over Dr.Mario, Luigified clone of Bowser, unique specials, but othewise a couple of moves shared with Bowser, like Brawl Falco-Fox) Pichu & Raichu (evolutions of Pikachu opening a different playstyle).

All depends on how many characters would be added though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Eenope.

Chrono hit the nail on the head as far as the four rep situation.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If Fire Emblem gets 4 reps, then I would be deeply satisfied with their representation in the roster. I'm not the biggest fan either. Not so much that I don't like the series, but more of the fact that I've never played it. The popularity of the series has grown, and as such, so should their representation.

I'd be more interested in Chrom, but i'll be absolutely honest, I'd like to see both Chrom and Roy getting in. I think Micaiah would be a unique character, but her popularity pales in comparison to Roy and Chrom, which is a pretty big thing considering the series we're talking about here.

D

Deleted member

No one wants to comment on my idea of making a Chrom/Lucina tag-team for the best of both worlds? I'm sure there's a way to make them not just like the Ice Climbers.

If Fire Emblem gets 4 reps, then I would be deeply satisfied with their representation in the roster. I'm not the biggest fan either. Not so much that I don't like the series, but more of the fact that I've never played it. The popularity of the series has grown, and as such, so should their representation.

I'd be more interested in Chrom, but i'll be absolutely honest, I'd like to see both Chrom and Roy getting in. I think Micaiah would be a unique character, but her popularity pales in comparison to Roy and Chrom, which is a pretty big thing considering the series we're talking about here.
But why add Roy? Just because people want him? Because he was supposed to stay? To just toss him back in there? To make all the "fans super happy"?

Really? Is that all?

If Chrom is there and Ike/Marth stay, it would just be four sword users from Fire Emblem. That is just plain boring and playing it safe. At least diversify the roster, Micaiah would be one of those possible choices for that. Fire Emblem is not just about swords. There are many other classes, at least try to rep those.

Micaiah is one of the more relevant and recent characters in the Fire Emblem games, alongside Marth, RD Ike, Chrom, and Lucina.

The roster should rep characters like that, actually making it SSB4 (note the FOUR), instead of going back and making it like Melee and Brawl.

Someone like a Roy, or Lyn, would be best served as DLC. They are popular enough to warrant that so people would buy them while the recent/relevant ones (last four games, Radiant Dawn to Awakening) get in the actual roster to keep it up to date and repping the Wii, DS, and 3DS.

People like Frederick, Lizz, Sheeda, Soren, etc can be ATs.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have only heard of 3 of your wanted newcomers

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
No one wants to comment on my idea of making a Chrom/Lucina tag-team for the best of both worlds? I'm sure there's a way to make them not just like the Ice Climbers.
I could actually see this. Think of it this way: Sakurai says he wanted to make a trainer based moveset for Melee, we got one in Brawl. What if he wants to revisit the Diddy/Dixie tag team? A. We know they wouldn't simply be another set of ICs because of their unique abilities, and B. Diddy is his own character, so it wouldn't exactly be all that nice to take him away and give him an entirely new playstyle. And, since dual battles are one the big features of Awakening, it's perfectly possible. It also kills two birds with one stone. Or, character slot as it were.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But why add Roy? Just because people want him? Because he was supposed to stay? To just toss him back in there? To make all the "fans super happy"?

Really? Is that all?
Yep.

And it's far more than can be said for folks like Micaiah. He's popular, he's already been in Smash, and he was supposed to be in Brawl. It's a win-win. It helps that he and Mewtwo are the Top 2 Most Wanted in Japan and that they're definitely in the Top 10 in the U.S., which cannot be said for other Fire Emblem reps.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd prefer Sothe paired with Micaiah honestly for a duo character. Makes much more sence.

Roy isn't all that boring though. He'd make for a nice Luigified Marth half clone, and he'd be easier to implement than Micaiah. If done right, he can have a rather unique style with his Sword of Seals. Micaiah is just very lacking in the physical department. And the 'swords only is boring' argument can be helped if Chrom uses lances in some moves, and Ike would use axes.

:phone:

Airrider

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see a mage. I mean, we got two sword guys already. I'd like to see Soren or Michaia. Maybe somebody already said this but: Michaia can't heal herself unless she uses an item because she sacrifices her own energy in order to save othets (correct me if i'm wrong). Although she could use vulnerary :)

Yep.

And it's far more than can be said for folks like Micaiah. He's popular, he's already been in Smash, and he was supposed to be in Brawl. It's a win-win. It helps that he and Mewtwo are the Top 2 Most Wanted in Japan and that they're definitely in the Top 10 in the U.S., which cannot be said for other Fire Emblem reps.
But those are not real reasons. He has done nothing for the series since his game.

On the other hand, Mewtwo has been in Smash, is still popular, and is still significant to his series.

If anyone returns, it is Mewtwo, not Roy. Best I could see for him is an alt character for Marth, as his Awakening self.

Thus saving the Fire Emblem roster to Marth, Micaiah, Chrom, and RD Ike.

I'd prefer Sothe paired with Micaiah honestly for a duo character. Makes much more sence.

Roy isn't all that boring though. He'd make for a nice Luigified Marth half clone, and he'd be easier to implement than Micaiah. If done right, he can have a rather unique style with his Sword of Seals. Micaiah is just very lacking in the physical department. And the 'swords only is boring' argument can be helped if Chrom uses lances in some moves, and Ike would use axes.

But even so, all four would still have a sword (regardless of what else they have).

If at least Micaiah (w/ or w/o Sothe) is there, we cut it down by one. Helping diversify even more.

I think a Sword, Sword/Axe, Sword/Lance, and Light Magic/Dagger is more interesting that just 4 swords where only two of them are lucky to do something else.

Also if I wanted a Luigified clone of Marth, I would rather see Lucina. At least she is relevant and recent. I liked playing as Roy in Melee but I don't care for his return. I want a Fire Emblem Smash roster to represent where Fire Emblem is NOW, not where it was 10 years ago.

Also if Micaiah was in without Sothe, she could still work. Not every character needs to be up close and attacking. She would be the distance fighter with a few up close attacks (that would do little damage). You would have to master distance fighting to play well as her, making her unique and different.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, Sothe and Micaiah would be far more unique. But as said before, we'd be lucky to already have 4 characters in the first place. If we'd get a PoR / RD remake later, sure it'd be all for it, but right now, we'd even be lucky to keep Ike. If we could have another, I think it'd be Roy, after Ike. Given his massive popularity, and easy implementation, I'd say he's by far the most likely FE 4th character.

Yeah, Sothe and Micaiah would be far more unique. But as said before, we'd be lucky to already have 4 characters in the first place. If we'd get a PoR / RD remake later, sure it'd be all for it, but right now, we'd even be lucky to keep Ike. If we could have another, I think it'd be Roy, after Ike. Given his massive popularity, and easy implementation, I'd say he's by far the most likely FE 4th character.

I see him more as an alt character for Marth or as DLC.

Then the rosters could actually rep the 4 last games (mainly the three from last gen, 1 character for the recent one).

We don't need a remake of Radiant Dawn to keep Ike or get Micaiah, it is still one of the most recent games (from the gen they will mainly be looking at). And let us not forget, it is the latest CONSOLE game as well.

A roster of Marth, Micaiah, RD Ike, and Chrom would rep all 4 of those games. Micaiah and Ike are co-main characters in Radiant Dawn. Really Marth is the only character from his series that could easily get in and rep all of it (Sheeda is another, but her class type would just be hard to implement). Then Chrom is there by himself since his game is just the newest one (and since Lucina is like Roy, the Marth "clone").

At least with these four we have diversity and they are the latest games (in which people may have actually played). A lot of the people asking for Roy have never even played his game and only know of him from Smash. Why just toss him back in the game (at least on the main roster) to get him back in there and so his "fans" can stop crying?

I already see 3 (Marth, Micaiah, and Chrom) anyways. A 4th could be DLC, maybe even 5th one as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not an alternative to Marth, that wouldn't make much sence given how they where in Melee. Point of both the characters was to get their sweetspot right. And Roy would have fiery effects on his sword, plus the way Marth swings how blade in Brawl really makes it impossible for Roy to be a full clone.

Good Marth alternatives would be:

Cecil / Seliph :rolleyes: as his blade Tryfing is pretty much indentical to Marth's Falchion plus they look very a like. Different clothes, longer hair and good to go.
Leaf / Leif: Marth's white costume is based on him. And that one rumour which told he'd be the first choice for a Marth clone in Melee.
Lucina: Impersonates Marth in FE13, and they have the same battle animations. Also use the Falchion.

Roy's style with the Sword of Seals stands out from them. If you would've played FE6, you'd understand.

Not an alternative to Marth, that wouldn't make much sence given how they where in Melee. Point of both the characters was to get their sweetspot right. And Roy would have fiery effects on his sword, plus the way Marth swings how blade in Brawl really makes it impossible for Roy to be a full clone.

Good Marth alternatives would be:

Cecil / Seliph :rolleyes: as his blade Tryfing is pretty much indentical to Marth's Falchion plus they look very a like. Different clothes, longer hair and good to go.
Leaf / Leif: Marth's white costume is based on him. And that one rumour which told he'd be the first choice for a Marth clone in Melee.
Lucina: Impersonates Marth in FE13, and they have the same battle animations. Also use the Falchion.

Roy's style with the Sword of Seals stands out from them. If you would've played FE6, you'd understand.

If we got the game, sure, but we didn't. Which still leads me to know that most people asking for him would answer the exact same thing and that they just want him to bring him back.

His style may have differences but just how much of a difference. I know they are different characters that do fight somewhat differently but they are both light sword users. How unique could each be when they are practically the same size and use similar sized swords?

But that is not the main reason I don't see him. It is that all he has going for him is "popularity". His last game was GBA and he is no where in the newer ones outside of his Awakening DLC self (which would be his version if he got in, so the haters of it can cry all they want (I like that version more anyways)).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But those are not real reasons. He has done nothing for the series since his game.
Sakurai seems to think so. These were his guidelines for character inclusion:

1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

2. The character must be unique.

3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

4. They must contribute to the game balance
Point 4 is up to the development team, Rule 3 is covered as he was already in Melee, Rule 1 is covered as people really want him, as noted by popularity (which isn't something Micaiah has), and Rule 2 can also be true from the development standpoint by just going off of the Fire Sword thing.

:smirk:

D

Deleted member

That sounds nifty. Tell me more, sir.
Well, the two are near the same in skill set, they both use the same sword, and both are usually promoted together, even on the box art for the game.
It also helps that the two are the two most popular characters in the game according to Japanese polling.

Them working as a tag-team can also represent the new feature introduced in Awakening, where two units can attack at once.

This would also help keep Chrom from being a simple Ike 2.0, as this offers something unique for him, and leaving him less of a threat to Ike.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roy's blade is not really light though. His Melee moveset might suggest that, but it's a two handed sword, like Ike's. Except Roy actually uses two hands to wield it. In truth, he should be a little slower than Marth, yet slightly faster than Chrom.

Sothe and Micaiah duo > Chrom and Lucina duo.

Roy's blade is not really light though. His Melee moveset might suggest that, but it's a two handed sword, like Ike's. Except Roy actually uses two hands to wield it. In truth, he should be a little slower than Marth, yet slightly faster than Chrom.

Sothe and Micaiah duo > Chrom and Lucina duo.

This is true and should happen

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, the two are near the same in skill set, they both use the same sword, and both are usually promoted together, even on the box art for the game.
It also helps that the two are the two most popular characters in the game according to Japanese polling.

Them working as a tag-team can also represent the new feature introduced in Awakening, where two units can attack at once.

This would also help keep Chrom from being a simple Ike 2.0, as this offers something unique for him, and leaving him less of a threat to Ike.
Hm...I'll take it! I'll take twelve!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sothe and Micaiah make far more sence. As Micaiah actually needs Sothe's protection, and she could heal him with staffs or Sacrifice.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Sothe and Micaiah make far more sence. As Micaiah actually needs Sothe's protection, and she could heal him with staffs or Sacrifice.
Thing is, though, Chrom is more likely than Micaiah. If the choice is Micaiah/Sothe or Chrom/Lucina, then it's going to be Chrom/Lucina.

Either one would be interesting though. I'm just saying, Chrom is more likely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom is more likely. But both Chrom AND Lucina have similarities to Ike and Marth, so why would they be a double team? It makes no sence at all. At least Sothe and Micaiah make sence.

Also wanted to share an amazing Roy hack moveset in Brawl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWX2eDMyRBw . It gives a good idea of how I envision him being in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Did it ever occur to you that people that are different from each other are difficult to incorporate as a team?
Or did you think Dixie would be the SAME as Diddy? :troll:

EDIT: Aside from that, no one really cares about Sothe.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Unlike with Diddy and Dixie, there's still two characters rather similar to Chrom and Lucina on the roster. It just doesn't work.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Micaiah/Sothe might make more sense as a double team, but it's pretty moot, as we won't be seeing a FE double team.

Yeah, other than bringing his series to a market exponentially larger, re-igniting interest in Fire Emblem in his native region, and remaining one of the most popular lords of his series, Roy sure hasn't done anything for his series since his game, unlike Micaiah, who has done so much. :rolleyes:
(sarcasm)

On the other hand, Mewtwo has been in Smash, is still popular, and is still significant to his series.

If anyone returns, it is Mewtwo, not Roy. Best I could see for him is an alt character for Marth, as his Awakening self.
Yeah, Mewtwo has a better chance than Roy does, but that 1) doesn't mean Roy has a bad chance, and 2) doesn't mean Micaiah has a better chance than Roy.

Thus saving the Fire Emblem roster to Marth, Micaiah, Chrom, and RD Ike.
It's pretty hilarious that you want Micaiah to represent a game that you specifically mention Ike will also represent. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

But even so, all four would still have a sword (regardless of what else they have).

If at least Micaiah (w/ or w/o Sothe) is there, we cut it down by one. Helping diversify even more.
I agree that Micaiah would be more diverse than four swordsmen, but just because they all wield a sword doesn't mean they would all be clones or semi-clones of each other.

I think a Sword, Sword/Axe, Sword/Lance, and Light Magic/Dagger is more interesting that just 4 swords where only two of them are lucky to do something else.
I agree, but diversity potential doesn't increase chances. If anything, it lowers chances, as characters that play similarly are easier to implement. And lets face it, if hypothetically Micaiah was under consideration (which she isn't), she would hardly be top priority.

Also if I wanted a Luigified clone of Marth, I would rather see Lucina. At least she is relevant and recent. I liked playing as Roy in Melee but I don't care for his return. I want a Fire Emblem Smash roster to represent where Fire Emblem is NOW, not where it was 10 years ago.
Great, I didn't know that your singular wants directly affected the roster and outweighed the multitude of people who would rather see Roy over Lucina. Plus, if Sakurai wanted to represent Fire Emblem as it was THEN instead of ten years ago, he wouldn't have picked Marth to be the first FE character in Smash. Relevancy isn't his top priority.

Also if Micaiah was in without Sothe, she could still work. Not every character needs to be up close and attacking. She would be the distance fighter with a few up close attacks (that would do little damage). You would have to master distance fighting to play well as her, making her unique and different.
I agree, I'd rather see her without Sothe as well.

Then the rosters could actually rep the 4 last games (mainly the three from last gen, 1 character for the recent one).
This isn't Sakurai's priority. If he wanted to represent the last few games, Roy wouldn't have been planned for Brawl over Lyn, Ephraim, etc. When he wants a relevant character, he clearly (CLEARLY) goes for the most recent/upcoming protagonist, not a character four games back. You're looking for a pattern which has never existed. Sakurai doesn't go back more than one game (with the obvious and self-explanatory exception of Marth).

We don't need a remake of Radiant Dawn to keep Ike or get Micaiah, it is still one of the most recent games (from the gen they will mainly be looking at). And let us not forget, it is the latest CONSOLE game as well.
In a series that gets a new game every couple of years, and has had three games since, Radiant Dawn is no longer relevant. I'd really suggest you stop grasping at straws, if you sincerely expect Micaiah to be included, I guarantee you will be disappointed.

And console means nothing. In fact, lately console FE games have been doing much worse than portables, if anything Sakurai would want the majority of the content to come from a game that has found a larger audience and more overall popularity.

A roster of Marth, Micaiah, RD Ike, and Chrom would rep all 4 of those games. Micaiah and Ike are co-main characters in Radiant Dawn. Really Marth is the only character from his series that could easily get in and rep all of it (Sheeda is another, but her class type would just be hard to implement). Then Chrom is there by himself since his game is just the newest one (and since Lucina is like Roy, the Marth "clone").
If the goal was to represent the four games since Brawl's development (which isn't Sakurai's goal -- he'd probably care about the most recent game and the series in general), there is absolutely no point in having both Ike (who would represent RD and PoR no matter what his appearance was - though you've clearly specified he'd be in his RD incarnation, which only emphasizes the point. Marth represented both his games in Melee and Brawl even though he didn't get his very manly pants-less appearance from the first game :awesome::p) and Micaiah. As Ike would obviously get in before Micaiah, you really need to throw out the whole "representation" point you have, as it's only hurting your argument.

At least with these four we have diversity and they are the latest games (in which people may have actually played). A lot of the people asking for Roy have never even played his game and only know of him from Smash. Why just toss him back in the game (at least on the main roster) to get him back in there and so his "fans" can stop crying?
Keep in mind FE characters are added with the Japanese market in mind first and foremost. In Japan, Roy's game outsold Micaiah's roughly two-to-one, so even disregarding his Smash appearance, more people would be familiar with Roy, even taking into account the ones who are no longer gamers. Radiant Dawn didn't do so hot outside Japan either, it's possible that the two games have roughly the same amount of sales in general, which is quite impressive considering Roy's was only released in one comparatively small region. Either way, Micaiah is no longer the token "relevant" FE rep, so her inclusion would be solely based on her popularity now as well (aka her crying "fans"), in which she simply pales in comparison to Roy.

Also, popularity (the fans) does have an effect on who makes it into the roster. I know you seem to base your roster choices solely on relevancy, which is... frankly... incorrect.

His style may have differences but just how much of a difference. I know they are different characters that do fight somewhat differently but they are both light sword users. How unique could each be when they are practically the same size and use similar sized swords?
At the very least, Roy and Marth would be as different as the semi-clones in Brawl, who were different enough to have different playstyles, different tactics, different match-ups, different tier positions, and just different properties in general. They would be a lot more different than they were in Melee, that much is for sure. The days of direct clones are gone (even in Melee they had a few noticeable differences).

Being aesthetically similar to another character is a terrible reason to be completely dismissed and relegated to definite "clone" status. Also, if you played FE6, you would know how different Marth and Roy's swords actually are and can be.

But that is not the main reason I don't see him. It is that all he has going for him is "popularity". His last game was GBA and he is no where in the newer ones outside of his Awakening DLC self (which would be his version if he got in, so the haters of it can cry all they want (I like that version more anyways)).
In addition to being planned twice for Smash, which does in fact mean something. Sakurai revisits old ideas constantly. Aside from that, all Micaiah has is popularity as well, except proportionately minimal when compared to Roy's. Believe it or not, popularity does play a factor in roster decisions. Sure, it's not the only factor, and it's not the single deciding factor, but it is a factor. I've said it before, and it seems I'm saying it again, but (assuming Ike also returns) if Sakurai wants the popular pick, he'll go with Roy, if he wants the relevant pick, he'll go with Chrom. Unlikely, but if there are two additions, it will be both Roy and Chrom.

You claim Micaiah to be relevant. In reality, she is not. In her series, she plays no more role than any other typical-one-game-lord. In fact, her role as titular character is pretty much shifted to Ike during the game. Roy, (not counting his cameo in FE7), has also only had a single (non-DLC, canon) appearance, however, in addition to his popularity (which is the highest of any non-existing playable FE character) he has also had a large overall impact on his series, even if not directly through his series. You could perhaps call Micaiah recent, at this point that's kinda subjective as well, though she is more recent than Roy. However, she isn't as recent as Chrom, so... once again, her recentness really means very little.

Look at it this way, in Brawl (other than Marth), who was planned for FE? First Ike, the most recent FE character. This time around, his equivalent is Chrom (not that Chrom will necessarily be included over Ike). Though one game off, in a way the Brawl-time equivalent to Micaiah could be Lyn. She had decent popularity (though Lyn's was higher than Micaiah's ever was -- for Smash at least), and she was more recent than Roy. But who ended up being planned for inclusion? Roy. Sakurai didn't look to the two games more recent than FE6, he only looked at the most recent game, even though Lyn was popular, with her katana she could've been unique, and she was female (which means nothing, but is a parallel to Micaiah). Micaiah would be lucky to be an AT this time around.

The whole Micaiah thing is getting pretty old now, DragonSniperNintendo. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It really doesn't help much that Micaiah isn't all that popular even in her own game, and that Ike pretty much takes control of the whole story from the moment he shows his face. Sure, argue they are both important, but Ike is really all that's really needed for FE9 / FE10 representation. But yeah, at this point FE is lucky to get 4 characters. Sure, I'd be down to discuss Micaiah if it came to movesets, but there's very little chance she'll make it over Roy. And even less chance that IF they add a second character from a game it'll be from Radiant Dawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom