• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Meta Knight

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922

Anyways, Sockz is right in saying that the Tornado should be used as a punishing move, but I don't think that it is the gamebreaker here. If used improperly, we can always punish it.

Actually, I have more trouble with his Shuttle Loop. No, not the aerial one (while it is a problem getting knocked out of our heavy armor at 0%, we should rarely get hit by it). I'm talking about his grounded one, the one with invincibility frames to it. Honestly, I cannot find a way to reliably punish that move other than prediction. Even if you shield it, you can't do anything to punish the pre-glide lag (unlike literally every other character in the game...). That move has stupid range, too. I get killed by that move more times than his d-smash, actually (they both kill around the same percentage, but d-smash is easier to predict and punish).

Still, even with a stupid move such as that, Meta Knight wouldn't be using it too much because a) it's a move that is used to punish approaches, which you should NOT be doing in this match-up; and b) there are better moves used to punish, but if you are in killing range (about 150-160%) then it becomes a real threat.

:069:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'm actually very certain you can sliding upsmash the grounded DP.

Even if you're late, it will clank with the glide attack and push Meta Knight behind you.

But I'm very very very certain you can sliding upsmash it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I can only ever manage to do that if I spot-dodge the grounded hit. =/

Although, when I actually do manage to do that I'm able to hit behind his glide-attack and hit him. If you shield it and then somehow manage to up-smash him you'd only clank because of the shield push-back.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Are you dropping shield while the pushback happens?

If you drop shield during the shield stun and pushback, you can buffer in a run and do upsmash, which actually looks like it's coming out earlier than it should be, but remember that Yoshi jumps as well as tossing his head in an arc, making the connection possible.

Not to downplay your questioning, but I have a feeling your dash may be coming out late.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Still, clashing with a move is not exactly a great way of punishing it. =/

OK, so let's say Meta Knight ends up behind us. What can we do then?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You can run.

I mean, I'm not saying the clanking happens all the time. I'm saying if you upsmash late, that's what happens. When you -do- clank, the clank reset you get (I don't believe Meta Knight gets a reset since he's in the air, but I forget) gives you a sort of faux pas frame advantage, so you can move if you don't like where you are.

I'm basically saying it's a "win-nolose" situation.

D

Deleted member

Anyways, Sockz is right in saying that the Tornado should be used as a punishing move, but I don't think that it is the gamebreaker here. If used improperly, we can always punish it.

Polt hit the nail on the head. If used improperly, nado is very punishable, which is why your poor redhalberd keeps losing to you (among other reasons). When used properly, it is a gamebreaker.

Grounded shuttle loop is obviously an amazing move in pretty much every matchup, and its not really different here. Yoshi does have the tools to punish a whiffed one, depending on his position, as shiri was saying.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Polt hit the nail on the head. If used improperly, nado is very punishable, which is why your poor redhalberd keeps losing to you (among other reasons). When used properly, it is a gamebreaker.
I dont think mk really has a 'gamebreaker' move in this mu. Yoshi has a something that can deal with everything in mk's arsenal, the problem is predicting which option mk will use in time to counter it with our own attack, not to mention that mk just has so many options.

D

Deleted member

I already wrote a post about why tornado is so awful for yoshi. >.>
My version of gamebreaking is prolly different than yours

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
So can we get a lil' discussion going on how to actually get around some of this crippling bull that MK does to us? I mean we have an option for everything so At least knowing what counters what would be a good start. (even if the match still ends up a guessing game)

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I tried shield poking yoshi with metaknights u-tilt and other various moves on battlefield. Wasn't able to shield poke him. Musta been some weird glitch or something. Anywho were one the only characters that can shield a full nado, and punish it even if the nado was on the ground. Just like...throwing that out there. :V

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The moves that give me problems are dair and dsmash. The other ones can be troublesome, but those ones are the most difficult for sure

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
With d-air, you just want to run away and egg MK. If he (stupidly) does a d-air towards the ground, then it's a free up-smash/grab because that move has a TON of landing lag.

For d-smash, it'll be pretty obvious to see when MK will use this. You can't react to it, but you should be able to easily predict it and punish accordingly (I like to Yoshi Bomb or pivot-grab; d-smash works well, too). Also, unless it's the back hit, you shouldn't die from this move until you're at about 160% (fresh). Since MK will be using this move often it's usually diminished quite a bit.

Of course, once you are in the 160% range you'd need to watch out for up-B, too. Make sure you space yourself so that you don't get hit by it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's not easy. Despite our strategies to use against MK, he's still the better character than us. I'm just talking about the stuff we can do in certain situations.

Obviously, no player is perfect.
If they were, MK would be winning every match lol.

Top Bottom