• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Goldenstein64

Smash Cadet
NNID
goldenstein64
3DS FC
3411-1021-7210
*Everybody mained Cloud, therefore NO forum activity for years xD*

But seriously; is everybody done with Yoshi or something?

Goldenstein64

Smash Cadet
NNID
goldenstein64
3DS FC
3411-1021-7210
*when you're just not checking Smashboards correctly anymore*

*sigh*

:|

Thanks btw!

Edit1: Can't find Discord thread :T Plz link

Last edited:

Slip33

Smash Cadet
This might be weird, but I find Yoshi neutral B attack to be kinda hot. Strange I know.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I got no Yoshi stuff for the holidays -- just some nice clothes and undergarments. As it turns out, socks are friggen' awesome presents when you're older.

How are people feeling about the Switch so far?

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Mario hat throwing adventure looks great, I'm glad they're trying out the open-world style mario again. RIP all the special edition/master edition preorders for zelda though... :/

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Maybe we can still have a last bit of hope for him in the inevitable Smash 4 port for Switch, we never know.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I find it hard to believe they would leave a console that seems to be more promising than even the Wii without a Smash game.

A Smash 4 port would be the quickest way to do it, so that's my bet.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I find it hard to believe they would leave a console that seems to be more promising than even the Wii without a Smash game.

A Smash 4 port would be the quickest way to do it, so that's my bet.
might be the quickest, but
1) smash has been on every single console, so there'll likely be a smash 5 for the switch
2) working on a smash 4 port wouldnt make sense if they also have to work on smash 5
3) smash 4 sold well so there'd be no reason for making a port for it

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
1-) How do we know it's a necessary rule for every console to have a different smash game?

2-) Of course it would not make sense, but there's no warranty that they're planning Smash 5 right now

3-) Wouldn't that mean the exact opposite? That since sm4sh sold so well in such a bad console as the wiiu it would do incredible well in a huge console like the Switch? Just add some extra content and new characters to justify it and it'll sell like water

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
1-) How do we know it's a necessary rule for every console to have a different smash game?

2-) Of course it would not make sense, but there's no warranty that they're planning Smash 5 right now
the fact that there's been 4.5 smash games already makes it extremely likely
what reason would they have to break the pattern now?

3-) Wouldn't that mean the exact opposite? That since sm4sh sold so well in such a bad console as the wiiu it would do incredible well in a huge console like the Switch? Just add some extra content and new characters to justify it and it'll sell like water
it just... doesn't make sense
- you already agreed in #2 that it wouldnt make sense to make a smash 4 and a smash 5, so it'll be one or the other
- if they only release a smash 4 port, that would be wasting the switch's potential since it's still basically the same game, and the lifetime won't be significantly increased
- on the other hand, if they just release smash 5, that's a whole new game on a popular console, which will have a longer lifetime and more sales (would you be more motivated to buy smash 4 deluxe or smash 5, especially when you already have smash 4?)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Mario kart was also in every console but got a port for switch anyway. The game is also still very alive as far as i know. Why it would be different with smash 4?

Fun fact: i don't actually even own a wiiu. I used one a friend lent me for some time and that's it. Even though i did enjoy some games, i don't think it would be worth it buying the console.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Mario kart was also in every console but got a port for switch anyway. The game is also still very alive as far as i know. Why it would be different with smash 4?
ok i actually cant figure that one out
i still won't say smash 4 port is inevitable but i guess its possible

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
It's not that I think it's totally impossible for Smash 5 to come to switch instead of a Smash 4 port, I mean, 2018 is coming and there's no sign of anything at all. As times passes, the probability of a Smash 4 port becomes smaller and a Smash 5 becomes more likely to be the case. Let's just wait and see what happens.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
If not even 4 years is all it takes for people to want the next smash so quickly, you guys would've never survived the hell that was melee to brawl then leading up to brawl with checking the site everyday only to get item or assist trophy updates.
ahhhh

Pixel_

Smash Ace
personally i can wait until the next smash
there's a toooon of great games to keep me busy until then

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If not even 4 years is all it takes for people to want the next smash so quickly, you guys would've never survived the hell that was melee to brawl then leading up to brawl with checking the site everyday only to get item or assist trophy updates.
ahhhh
And to top it all off, the Disc Read Error to cause an extra week or two of wait after hyping yourself up.

I learned a lot from Brawl Hype Backlash.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I was just playing Brawl- and Smash4 casually at my dorm (with some Melee sprinkled in), I've only gone to one Smash4 event during like, the first winter of its release or something. I don't have the time nor money to get seriously involved in the scene again. Nor do I really want to in its current state.

No.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
I was just playing Brawl- and Smash4 casually at my dorm (with some Melee sprinkled in), I've only gone to one Smash4 event during like, the first winter of its release or something. I don't have the time nor money to get seriously involved in the scene again. Nor do I really want to in its current state.

No.
So are you resigning as moderator?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Hm, I see that my statement may give off the wrong impression.

I don't have the time nor money to get involved in travelling to compete again, nor do I really feel the drive to go compete as I get older and more distant from new-generation Smasher culture. However, I am fond of the Yoshi community (apart from being on holiday vacation I did check in here every single day despite the complete lack of activity for months) and I don't think Smash 4 is so complex a game that an old fogey is incapable of providing insights.

The main problem is that, for Smash 4, all discussions and projects just kind of die and nobody really wants to be on board with long term analysis that happens on the boards. I just took a peek at the character boards -- tons are dead. Even those for top characters like Bayo/Sheik/MK/Ryu/ZSS have no real activity. This problem isn't limited to lower tiered, unviable characters -- it's everywhere. It wasn't like this at the beginning of Brawl's lifespan, and I'm really wondering what caused all the shift away from message boards. I think it has something to do with the rise of social media/Esports and the glorification of a subset of players (thus nobody else's opinion matters), but whatever the cause it's left the larger community in a sad place (in my opinion).

Maybe it's just nostalgia though.

As far as the mod position goes, I see no reason to resign unless I've become incapable of doing my job properly which, as far as I know, I'm not incapable yet. It helps that there's no activity to really monitor though -- if these boards were super busy I likely would have resigned a long time ago as the demands of my life away from Smash increased.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The main problem is that, for Smash 4, all discussions and projects just kind of die and nobody really wants to be on board with long term analysis that happens on the boards. I just took a peek at the character boards -- tons are dead. Even those for top characters like Bayo/Sheik/MK/Ryu/ZSS have no real activity. This problem isn't limited to lower tiered, unviable characters -- it's everywhere. It wasn't like this at the beginning of Brawl's lifespan, and I'm really wondering what caused all the shift away from message boards. I think it has something to do with the rise of social media/Esports and the glorification of a subset of players (thus nobody else's opinion matters), but whatever the cause it's left the larger community in a sad place (in my opinion).
It's the social media craze. Heated arguments or big important decisions made for the smash community happens on platforms that wasn't designed to deal with walls of text, Twitter and Facebook.

The fact most of the smash4 players are around 13-16 just like brawl age when some of us were younger but most of the older gen (melee) players still stuck with brawl and projects got done thanks to (for Yoshi example) Shiri bwett scatz etc. All the while for smash 4 most of the players from that generation quit or barely play while the new kiddos aren't capable of holding onto a project despite them having numerous ideas swimming in their noggins.

Even just recently as a good example, the TX scene just started up a meme/serious thing (for some people) of making Character groups on FB (actual groups or messenger chats) once I brought up possibly using SB/discord instead for archiving and better managing of stuff with separate channels almost all the people were against it cause "they don't like discord" and legitimately felt "FB messenger is better."
Only me and a resident Bayo/Yoshi player in my city that was on board with discord usage were sitting there like ??? after the declining of using Discord.

People would rather post on FB and twitter now for important things while for discord any players that actually manages to use the platform are mostly mid/low level players that possibly don't even main or secondary the character for said Discord server, because all the links for getting to the main server is open to the public ala Smashcords so most or all servers have over 500-2k members (most likely 85% inactives) and only a select few discords actually get a lot of stuff done like the Shulk Ganon or Megaman discords.
Meanwhile most or all the top players of a character of course stays on fb/twitter only cause ESPORTS revolves around social media and fans, so the main thing they need to use for attention and the hot retweets is twitter.

It really is such a shame forums had to die out, specifically Smashboards. Some forums on the net obviously are still active like SRK but for the smash community they've all just moved onto twitter/fb cause ESPORTS is definitely the cause.

As a side note I just want mod cause I want access to the area mods hang out. Unmodded people still have access to it so that's why I'd wanna steal yours delta :^)
(I also submitted a form to be mod for yoshi boards back when yink/omni were chosen as mod then eventually you, I was sad)

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
legitimately felt "FB messenger is better."
FB messenger is the second most barely functional tool for conversation I use, losing out only to my most recent experiences with Skype. I'm in shock. It's basically impossible to go back and read messages because it scrolls down to most recent each time you reload the next batch of 10 messages. Not to mention the lack of quoting and message formatting.

Blegh, Esports.

As a side note I just want mod cause I want access to the area mods hang out.
I feel bad for not utilizing this space now. D=

Top Bottom