• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So, I'm kinda interested in qualifying how bad Diddy is for us if he's "the worst". Most matches I watch of good Yoshis vs. Good Diddys never seem to be blow outs. The killing issues never seem to rear their ugly heads, and both players tend to chain each other with strong punishes.

Is Diddy really the worst we have to deal with? Or are these matches just not indicative of what should be happening?

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
As someone who mains Diddy Kong, I'm kind of baffled how a lot of matchups went to hell after he got double nerfed, yet the Diddy Kong matchup still seems really bad for Yoshi. The fact Diddy Kong has so many kill confirms (down tilt to up smash and banana to smash attack), while Yoshi has to commit way more for his kills puts him at a huge disadvantage in the matchup. Then there's Diddy's excellent neutral game where Yoshi frequently has to rely on trade to get hits in because his fair and bair have way more startup compared to Diddy Kong's amazing fair, all while also struggling to deal with Diddy Kong in situations where he's playing neutral campy and safe. If they never nerfed Yoshi's frame data in the first patch, he probably would be able to deal with Diddy Kong way better but alas, Sakurai over nerfed a lot of characters in the first patch. If customs were legal, I imagine Egg Launch would be really useful in the matchup considering how the move is faster and Diddy Kong is the weakest off stage.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
i dunno if i've mentioned it here before, but i had a much easier time against diddies before he got nerfed. they always went for grabs and focused little on doing other things, so as long as i could evade their attempts at grabbing me, i did fine.

i think the reason why i have more trouble against them now is because they're making use of the other things they have - not just kill confirms like bananas and tilts, but increased use of fair, which shuts down a lot of yoshi's stuff, especially in the air. they've also become more defensive, i.e. whereas a diddy would try to capitalize as much as possible off of a dthrow prepatch, now they just get an aerial in, back off, and make use of the stage control they've netted. no commitment.

diddy can't afford to be as reckless as before, so he's become more conservative, which just happens to hurt yoshi.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The matchup is considering better than it used to be back in 1.0.4 and 1.0.6. The only big difference is that the Diddy Kongs who stuck with the character are forced to play less reckless if they want to remain competitive.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I love how three Yoshi players are in my Genesis 3 fantasy roster. G3's gonna be hype!

On Diddy, I wouldn't be surprised if he were Yoshi's worst matchup. Neutral's hell against him and he's one of the few characters that can really pressure Yoshi thanks to mobility, bananas and safe, quick attacks. I think that the only other character who can give Yoshi as hard of a time is probably Sheik and the matchup feels a bit better against her to me. I used to think Rosa was really bad too, but now I see that Yoshi can also give her a hard time. I've never fought a Cloud with Yoshi before or seen a Yoshi fight Cloud, so that could be something worse or not worse.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
How many Yoshis are going to Genesis anyway? I'm going, and I saw that Raptor and The Wall are going, but there must be others.
You and those two are the ones I have on my fantasy roster xD. Sky Williams is also going.
Would you kindly refresh my memory on what Genesis is?
Huge tournament in California that's taking place this weekend.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
I tried fellas. Genesis was a good experience and I'm glad it was my first big tournament to go to. Now it's time to start making waves.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Yeah, I lost to Chibo. Whoops. I have a lot of work to do. >.>

Serious question, is Chibo good? Who does he play? I particularly hate him for the shafting I got at MLG but that's beside the point.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
He won games 2 and 3 with ROB. He also tried Mii Gunner game 1, but that didn't work. His ROB was solid, but he didn't really do anything I haven't seen before from one of my local ROBs. I got impatient after getting caught by a weird stagespike and didn't play it that well. :/

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I think its about time to post some of the Yoshi things Ive found and shared on skype months ago like Perfect Pivot Jab Strings, Footstool Combos, Yoshis Down Air jab reset string, Anti Air release, ext. I want to try and update that Double Jump Armor Tolerance thread and Air release/Platform release thread.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have thoughts on Corrin? It looks like it's going to be a tough matchup with that range and autocancel fair. I guess we won't know for sure until the DLC comes out though.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
i'm not worried about corrin in the slightest. because i'm picking him up 8)

honestly though, the thing i'm most worried about is his stun gun. it seems better than ZSS', even.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Anyone have thoughts on Corrin? It looks like it's going to be a tough matchup with that range and autocancel fair. I guess we won't know for sure until the DLC comes out though.
I just hope Corrin and Bayonetta don't make me dump Yoshi as one of my mains over time.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Thoughts on our tier list spots? Ignoring the obvious fact that a new patch and 2 characters are getting dropped by the end of the day and that the list will change, how do you feel about it?

TBH I think it's pretty solid. Aside from Bowser Jr. and Cloud I don't think anyone is in the wrong category.The rows in each tier could use a bit of improvement tho. Like at the very least Luigi should be in the same row as Yoshi, I also think Peach and DK could probably go to that row.

Now I'm not gonna say that I think Yoshi can't be high tier, but I'm just gonna say that I haven't seen any proof.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I just find it interesting how Cloud and Ness are rated. Cloud seems like a hype-child right now and I expect him to start getting beat, hard, when people learn his stuff. Ness is still...just Ness. He has Fair I guess.

I dunno much about Ryu, but...wow. I still maintain, as I always will, that Pika isn't that good and people just have no idea what the rat actually does so they lose.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Unless Yoshi gets a lil nudge tomorrow I really don't think Yoshi's gonna be high tier. I'm honestly satisfied with top of mid tier/scratching at High tier.
Which is basically the top 15/20 I've been saying since month 2 of Smash wii u's release date lol

But honestly again a tierlist so early when a patch was happening this month, regardless if it was coming in two days at the time of the tierlist being posted or 4 weeks later they really should've waited till mayo/corn had even a couple weeks of play. Hell Cloud having not even 1 month and he was already in many peoples top 10/15. (most japanese throwing him in top 5 tho)

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
But honestly again a tierlist so early when a patch was happening this month
Honestly I I think getting the ball rolling on this just makes sense. Having a skeleton ready before the patch makes it easier to judge where everyone moves post patch.

So, uh, this is a thing Yoshi can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OToAvxvUP1k&feature=youtu.be&t=140

Any way this can be used tactically to benefit us on Halberd? Also, any way we can get on this aside from dair so we dont have all that landing lag? Who knows. Might be something cool to experiment with.
Lmfao, wow. Well if you get it down and you have a lead you could stall it out for a bit i guess. Like you'll be in a nonpunishable state if you can duck while there since you can shield if they come for you offstage. And possibly even just straight up punish them with an fsmash since it'll move your hurtbox even further in stage lmfao.

Stage transformations or hazzards will make it so you can't do it forever though.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
From what I could tell just messing around last night, both of the characters were kind of awkward to use at first but they have potential. Corrin has some interesting tools, it seems like short hopped bair and fair have very little lag, if not autocancelling? Side-b is really good for poking people off stage, but I was having more trouble following up after Neutral b than I expected. I was struggling to set up combos with bayonetta but side b seems to lead into many things. Witch time also seems insanely good if it lands, that stun lasts for sooo long.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
R.I.P Yoshi...

Yoshi does not have super armor on his double jump anymore. From what I can tell from messing around, it still armors weak moves, but not stronger ones. I do not know the exact percentages where the armor breaks. It is really awful. Should I still main Yoshi? Yoshi always has been my main and I thought that he always would be... :cry:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
R.I.P Yoshi...

Yoshi does not have super armor on his double jump anymore. From what I can tell from messing around, it still armors weak moves, but not stronger ones. I do not know the exact percentages where the armor breaks. It is really awful. Should I still main Yoshi? Yoshi always has been my main and I thought that he always would be... :cry:
Our DJ Armor is just about exactly the same.
Now about the new characters, Corrin doesn't seem like they will be too bad, but Bayonetta might be a problem since we don't have a kill throw. Getting witch timed at anywhere from like 70 is probably a kill for her. If you do have her conditioned to witch time, Dair being our only rapid multi hit move might beat it out.

Both of them feel like really solid and fun characters though. I barely even wanted Corrin cause i was kinda tired of Fire Emblem characters but yo they're so fun lmfao.

Top Bottom