• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
So, liek, I jumped like 10 levels ever since our little tournament last week. I gave The Best over here a bit of a hard time. He says that I'm terrible and that I just happen to "throw attacks into thin air". That's...actually sort of accurate- THE LATTER, I mean. I just told him that I just have to play to my advantages, and going fearless mode is where I've shined.

(:
I throw out attacks and stay in the air 24/7 if i know i can beat them like that. Its kinda funny how people call you brain dead afterwards when their the ones falling for the same tricks lol.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Something I haven't really noticed but our shield goes under diddys sh fair, sh uair, and sh back air(not 100% about this one). So if they were to ever try to space us we could shield into up air or nair. I always dash into shield against diddy and I was wondering why it worked so well.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Something I haven't really noticed but our shield goes under diddys sh fair, sh uair, and sh back air(not 100% about this one). So if they were to ever try to space us we could shield into up air or nair. I always dash into shield against diddy and I was wondering why it worked so well.
What do you mean by "going under diddys ....."? Does our shield shrink our hurtbox such that these moves don't connect with the shield?

D

Deleted member 189823

@Oz Oh geez. The platform coverage he had on BF was pretty supreme. @_@
Yeah, he's actually a great player. Very smart, patient and fast at adapting. NOBODY has taken him down after, like, 40 tournaments won ever since Brawl starting March of 2012 (he mained Snake and Peach).

I throw out attacks and stay in the air 24/7 if i know i can beat them like that. Its kinda funny how people call you brain dead afterwards when their the ones falling for the same tricks lol.
That was my mistake, actually. I stayed in the air...far too long. I used to approach with Up-B a lot (the right way, obviously), but I couldn't get much other than an OKAY neutral game (that Up-B arc is super good). I needed to capitalize on my ground game, which is what I've been doing, ever since I started putting on gear, on my Yoshi. You have no idea how godly our U-Tilt to U-Air combos out. I also realized (super late) that our U-Smash is insanely good. From spotting airdodges, to stuffing aerial approaches and/or landings, we got it. It has great range, it's moderately fast and we kill really well with it.

Overall, I started working a lot more on everything Yoshi has to offer. I used to approach with F-Air. All.The.Time. It got boring.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
I'll be heading out to MLG New Orleans this weekend. Is anyone else attending? I would love meeting some other Yoshi mains.

With that being said, any help critiquing my most recent sets I posted in the Video thread before MLG would be great!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Sadly I'm not going and I don't think other Yoshi mains in TX are going. Only people from TX I know of is whoever is in Xyro's carpool. Megafox being one of those people.
Either way, good luck at MLG.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
...I thought the deadline for smash shorts was the 17th, but it was the 13th and I missed my chance to submit my clip. Oh well, I'll do it next week. ...assuming it's still smash 4 submissions next week

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
I'll be there at MLG, looks like Pool 16 as of right now unless Chibo changes it. You'll be able to spot me in a green jacket with Yoshi's Island on the front of it.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Hey guys! I just got Yoshi's Woolly World, and when I try to scan my Amiibos, three of them aren't working right. They did scan, but every time it just came up as Amiibo Yoshi. Is anyone else having this problem?

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Hey guys! I just got Yoshi's Woolly World, and when I try to scan my Amiibos, three of them aren't working right. They did scan, but every time it just came up as Amiibo Yoshi. Is anyone else having this problem?
The pokemon amiibos are incompatible with Woolly World sadly.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Welp, today's the day for the U.S. release of WooLAY-- *Cue this voice clip: <T.T. the Clock> "WhooPAY! 8D"* World, and I'll tell you right now, I will MAIN this outfit, despite the promise of an upcoming Orange Yoshi & potential other designs that MIGHT sway me from repping DHY (The Bowser Jr Amiibo's design is a STRONG candidate for co-maining, for one), just like how I mained Bandanna Dee since DAY 1 of Kirby's Return to Dreamland! 8>

The Duck's integration at the back & tail is a creatively seamless fusion! 83

<Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin!Brauner> A WEAVING of the SOUL! 8O THIS IS ART! 8D

My sentiments exactly, sir. :3
YARN ART TECHNIQUE!
: (My appearance on him, along with your reaction to it, is getting me hype!)
: "Hey, what about MY outfit?"
: "And mine too."

*Skips ahead to the 03:23 mark*

: "I stand in awe."

: "Same here."

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
The pokemon amiibos are incompatible with Woolly World sadly.
The Pokemon Company is so touchy with how any of their properties are used that they're even adverse to Nintendo using them. In Mario Maker, they get sprites, but no custom music bits like every other amiibo does for powerup/death/win, etc.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
The YWW amiibo costumes look sick! I'm content with my pink yarn yoshi amiibo for now, must resist urge to buy the game..

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Wait so YWW is a good game? Is it challanging like Yoshi Island DS?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
but Yoshi's Island DS isn't that hard

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
but Yoshi's Island DS isn't that hard
I know/ I still speed ran it but the bonus levels at the end man. Yoshi island DS and gameboy were alot harder then the others im pretty sure.

It's a little challenging in one way or another, but it's a lot of fun.
As long as its fun really. I may buy it.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
If any Yoshi main wants to play me in WiFi (in about 5-6 hours) send me a PM. Be Good. Trying to explore the matchup.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
In terms of raw difficulty, from hardest to easiest, IMO:
  1. YIDS (100%-ing every stage, especially since you can't pop any +20 Star Packs... Oh, and all those piles of 1-Ups you get during the 1st 3 Worlds? Come World 4 and beyond, especially the Bonus Stages, even in the 1st 3 Worlds, they'll be DEMANDED of you....)
  2. SMA3 (It's those GBA Exclusive stages that elevate it...)
  3. SNES YI
  4. YWW during Classic Mode (so far, as of the end of World 4, but after its Secret Stage. The start of World 4 IS where its difficulty finally starts picking up enough to start competing with YI, but still below YIDS. There IS a possibility of rising up further in difficulty, depending on what's to come. Whether or not its going to be able to compete with YIDS in terms of raw difficulty, I'm not sure. At least I can definitely say that Kirby's Epic Yarn, in terms of raw difficulty, this is NOT, which pleases me greatly. The masochist in me is really hoping that the raw difficulty for YWW will not only exceed YIDS, but even make me think of a legit hard game like anything in the Ghosts 'n Goblins series. Whether or not a stage as hard as Kirby Mass (Mo~e) Attack's Stage 4-9 when trying to Gold Star it (as in, not getting hit AT ALL) will show up here remains to be seen...)
  5. Yoshi's Story during an All/Only Melons run
  6. YWW during Mellow Mode (Again, so far, as of the end of World 4, but after its Secret Stage. I myself am not running this, nor is my 2nd youngest brother (I'm the youngest of 4 brothers, btw) & his wife, both of whom I'm 2 Player co-op-ing with in Classic Mode, but my oldest brother's 6 year old daughter is. As far as I can tell, you & your partner have permanent wings that allow you to hang out in the air for a seemingly infinite length of time, both start with full HP, ? airbags that carry hearts will drop more of them... Not sure about anything else.)
  7. YS outside of the All/Only Melons run

I've not played Universal Gravitation or more shockingly, New Island--
*GASPS!*

... So I'm not sure where those would fit in. I've at least heard that New Island would be above SMA3, but below YIDS??

As I may have stated earlier, WooLAY World has simultaneous 2 player CO-OP that allows for 2 separate Amiibo outfits to be worn at the same time! 8D

... Though the capability to inadvertently KO your partner can be even greater than in the NSMB series & possibly even 3D World when eggs, tongues, Hammer Slams (YWW's version of :yoshi:) get used in the vicinity of your partner, as well as NES Contra styled vertical screen scroll-offs and NSMB's horizontal screen hugging....
This aspect COULD help drive its difficulty up to perhaps above SMA3. I'm still not sure if it will propel it enough to beat YIDS...

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
It's unlikely that I'll attend also because of skool, but I will definitely be cheering you on Nikes Nikes if you make it, I think you'll be representing the Yoshis well considering the beating you gave me back during the ditto tourney! :3

Arbitation

Smash Rookie

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
good luck
Cheers, I probably got a bit too excited there though haha. Interstaters are coming to this left right and center now so it's going to be interesting...

Also shoutouts to your undertale avatar, that game's soundtrack has me hooked. (but flowey is creepy as creepy gets. ._.)

Top Bottom