• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Can somebody tell me, how is it that there are SO MANY wacky/cool things and combos pretty much everyone and their mother are doing? Like, this kind of stuff was super rare in the Brawl days, so how come we see it a ton on Youtube and gif thingies?
I'm assuming that it's just because Smash 4 is a bit more friendly to that sort of playstyle than Brawl was.

D

Deleted member 189823

.."a bit"?

ALSO THE PINK YOSHI IS FREAKING CUTE, MAY I STEAL IT.

Last edited by a moderator:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Probably because combos where made to link better and you can run.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Mario maker for ssb4 is going to be amazing.

I made a long post about Yoshi VS Sheik in the sheik boards and I think I did pretty well lol.

Edit:Oops I didn't realize I had a post posted already.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
probably going to my first local tomorrow, in which I will be repping the light blue Yoshi to hopefully some degree of success. (I did go to Apex, but at that point I mained Diddy) wish me luck!

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I need to study matchups more. I lost the first match in the tournament to a Wario who was pretty good, then I beat a Megaman/Toon Link in Losers and lost to a Falcon. He was punishing my rolls really good with Falcon Kicks, but if I wasn't doing stupid stuff (and suffering a bit of input lag bc ****ty gcn adapters) I probably could have won. Oh well. At least I got to spend a decent amount of time commentating! twitch.tv/tamadrummer1337 is the stream btw.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I need to study matchups more. I lost the first match in the tournament to a Wario who was pretty good, then I beat a Megaman/Toon Link in Losers and lost to a Falcon. He was punishing my rolls really good with Falcon Kicks, but if I wasn't doing stupid stuff (and suffering a bit of input lag bc ****ty gcn adapters) I probably could have won. Oh well. At least I got to spend a decent amount of time commentating! twitch.tv/tamadrummer1337 is the stream btw.
Controller johns make It worse for you to improve no matter how bad it is(of course unless like 20 frames of input lag lol). What I normally do is never get salty and think its a good game no matter how hard you choked or anything. Then watch the replays and think about what you could have done and look at every time you hit him like was it luck or was it legit? I wouldnt rematch the guy untill a week or more.

Normally what I do is I try to find the best options and think positive about it. For example look at what you coulda done to avoid a situation first before anything. Once you got that drilled in you head then try to find some options that would have made your punishes more safe and just as effective. Its alright to loose again but as long as your showing improvement its all good.

.I use to hate sheiks back then but now I truely think its even clearly out of the mixups and trades yoshi can do unlike any other MU.

I think im ready to fight one of the best marths in the world again(i think he was top marth in evo) and Ive been studying even harder even though I knew the MU before. Even though I choked the 2nd game I brought it back and didn't say stuff like "If I didn't choke I would have won" lol.

Edit: this was so poorly writen.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Controller johns make It worse for you to improve no matter how bad it is(of course unless like 20 frames of input lag lol). What I normally do is never get salty and think its a good game no matter how hard you choked or anything. Then watch the replays and think about what you could have done and look at every time you hit him like was it luck or was it legit? I wouldnt rematch the guy untill a week or more.

Normally what I do is I try to find the best options and think positive about it. For example look at what you coulda done to avoid a situation first before anything. Once you got that drilled in you head then try to find some options that would have made your punishes more safe and just as effective. Its alright to loose again but as long as your showing improvement its all good.

.I use to hate sheiks back then but now I truely think its even clearly out of the mixups and trades yoshi can do unlike any other MU.

I think im ready to fight one of the best marths in the world again(i think he was top marth in evo) and Ive been studying even harder even though I knew the MU before. Even though I choked the 2nd game I brought it back and didn't say stuff like "If I didn't choke I would have won" lol.

Edit: this was so poorly writen.
No no no dude you're right, I really shouldn't John. Unfortunently I wasn't on stream so there was no replay for me to watch. I just wasn't playing too well.

By the way, have you ever experienced the weird feeling you get when you watch your own commentary on Stream? Good god the folks watching must have hated me.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
No no no dude you're right, I really shouldn't John. Unfortunently I wasn't on stream so there was no replay for me to watch. I just wasn't playing too well.

By the way, have you ever experienced the weird feeling you get when you watch your own commentary on Stream? Good god the folks watching must have hated me.
Mango and Scar. Worst commentators ever when they pair up but there pretty funny.

TBH I think the best way to commentate is to talk about cool things the watchers might have not seen on stream. Like for example when D1 commentates he often says stuff he KNOWS are true and just happened that most players wouldn't have noticed when theres nothing hype going on. Point out reads, techs, punishes and sick combos too!

I aint no experienced commentator though. I WANT to commentate one day though. Just dont do dumb things like eat a slim jim during a important match.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Mango and Scar. Worst commentators ever when they pair up but there pretty funny.

TBH I think the best way to commentate is to talk about cool things the watchers might have not seen on stream. Like for example when D1 commentates he often says stuff he KNOWS are true and just happened that most players wouldn't have noticed when theres nothing hype going on. Point out reads, techs, punishes and sick combos too!

I aint no experienced commentator though. I WANT to commentate one day though. Just dont do dumb things like eat a slim jim during a important match.
I was doing some cool things (referring to the Ding-Dong combo by name, talking about customs, even bringing up the fact that Ganon and Falco have spikes that you can't tech if you're hit with them while standing on stage which actually impressed my co-commentator) and asking questions about stuff I didn't know about, but I often froze up in the play-by-play. It was fun, though, and I want to do it more.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Ganons down air is techable I thought unless angled right. Falcos down air isnt a spike on stage. Thats probably what you meant anyways.
Ryus down air combos into alot and even can combo into shoruken at kill percent. Ryu has the best down air in the game IMO. It can spike off stage. It actually sends opponents at like a diagonal angle.

Also does anyone know about this triple up air kill combo that can kill around 50% on FD? I can't believe I haven't known about it till recently. Is it a true combo also no matterwhat the DI is?

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Ganons down air is techable I thought unless angled right. Falcos down air isnt a spike on stage. Thats probably what you meant anyways.
Ryus down air combos into alot and even can combo into shoruken at kill percent. Ryu has the best down air in the game IMO. It can spike off stage. It actually sends opponents at like a diagonal angle.

Also does anyone know about this triple up air kill combo that can kill around 50% on FD? I can't believe I haven't known about it till recently. Is it a true combo also no matterwhat the DI is?
Ganon's is not techable. If Falco's isn't a spike on stage (though the hit kinda acts like one) then that explains a lot and Ganon is actually unique in that regard. Heh.

I too am interested in this upair string of which you speak

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
So Ive been playing with air releases a lot and they set up a lot of 50/50 situations. Some characters like mario kinda have to jump to be safe from the air release which kinda sets up easy catchings.
Ganon's is not techable. If Falco's isn't a spike on stage (though the hit kinda acts like one) then that explains a lot and Ganon is actually unique in that regard. Heh.

I too am interested in this upair string of which you speak
Ill do a short little video of Yoshi doing it on a few characters with mixed DI if I have time. I don't really know how to explain it all the way.

Edit. http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Yoshi theres alot of stuff missing, new stuff added and different numbers from the one here... SO whos telling the truth? I did find some stuff wrong on kuroganehammer anyways.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
DI does matter when it comes to Up-air strings with Yoshi, though if they're at the proper percents it really shouldn't be hard to link. My personal favorite is the fair stage spike, if they miss the tech and buffer an air dodge ooooo so much fun to be had.

Fuzzio

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3995-6678-6272
Gaur Plain and Mario Galaxy are the only omegas where I'm more inclined to the stages themselves over FD. Otherwise, I just wish we could replace music on other stages (specifically the songs on Town and City and Smashville).

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
DI does matter when it comes to Up-air strings with Yoshi, though if they're at the proper percents it really shouldn't be hard to link. My personal favorite is the fair stage spike, if they miss the tech and buffer an air dodge ooooo so much fun to be had.
Its actually not a string most of the time.

Sometimes if a marth, ike, mario(kinda. Marios up b never fully stage spikes you anyways), ect bans duck hunt and halberd I will counter pick to omega wiifit or omega duck hunt. You can gimp without the worry of a stage spike.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I need to brush up on my Yoshi to try and cope with Ganon's terrible matchups (Pikachu, Sheik, Rosalina). Anyone want to teach me how to play this character again?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Pick up luigi for pika. Takes about 5 battles to learn him lol.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Its actually not a string most of the time.

Sometimes if a marth, ike, mario(kinda. Marios up b never fully stage spikes you anyways), ect bans duck hunt and halberd I will counter pick to omega wiifit or omega duck hunt. You can gimp without the worry of a stage spike.
I would say it is a string, like I said based on the % you start it at. I have stream footage of me stringing people with 3-4 up airs in a row. They DI them left and right and it still doesn't really matter at those percents. At higher percents though I have seen some people prevent death through DI'ing to the side. That's really the only difference.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Theres a thing called reacting to DI. Its not that hard with up airs and yoshi can follow up on it. And it does combo into itself gaureteed so why call it string.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Not really a reason to be so nitpicky about the wording if you're saying they're the same thing. Combo'ing multiple up airs or ending it with a nair or a back air read for instance would be a string. Starting the combo with up tilt into those up airs is a string.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Pretty sure it's called yarn not string.

That joke aside, Utilt into uair is a combo. Reading DI or possible airdodges is more of a string of reads for more Uair or a nair.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
You actually can get It no matter what the DI though... the second you hit the up air Its very easy to tell where they DI'd. So it has to be a true combo since you cant get out of it no matter what you do.

Does string mean true combo with the samemoves or what. I was always told differently.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Zero made a video on Yoshi today if you all hadn't seen. Says he is solo main viable.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thank goodness he said that. I've already had lots of people telling me I need to pick up a secondary/another main to win when I've said it's not even slightly an option to me. Maybe since just about everyone listens to Zero they'll get off my back about it now...I've already made it clear enough to people that I'm strickly solo maining Yoshi and how that won't budge. :/

Edit: Yay for 1,000th post :p

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I agree with most of that video. You all know what I will disagree with though.
*cough*The MU part*cough*

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The only thing I hate about Zero is the fact he thinks his word is final in everything and since the guy has to live and eat, he makes videos for the masses when they're not really informative or right.
Take everything he says with a very small grain of salt.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Hey everyone I've been picking up yoshi lately. (Purple is bae) I normally play pika but yoshi is alot easier and they are pretty similar characters so switching isn't weird. Anyway just wanted to say hello lol.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yeah, both irl and online (not going to give out any names), it's pretty silly but because people don't see Yoshi winning enough tournaments or seeing enough use people seem to be thoroughly convinced that he's highly overrated. Tiers and opinions can't affect our play or character though so we'll just have to ignore it like Yoshi mains have always done through the Brawl years and just press on.

Also Hi Volty, thanks for coming on by. :)

D

Deleted member 189823

Went my first FULL YOSHI tournament (if you don't count that crappy single-elimination one like three weeks ago), and I feel I learned a lot, from my advantages and from my weaknesses. I have some bad replays, but I also won a $50 MM and only went Bowser so I could win 3-2 towards the end. ( :

I feel a lot more confident in my Yoshi now. I always knew I was one. :yoshimelee:

Top Bottom