• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Yeah I saw them. I had a feeling we'd have some grab releases back. Anyone want to test them with me at some point? Ill make a list of some potential stuff

ALSO I found my use for Bair. Egglay punish on floaty people

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Back them, when I started playing brawl, I felt like Yoshi was a really hard character to play and I delayed 1 year to finally decide do TRY training him. In that time I was already with a decent Ness, Lucas and Kirby.

And I think I only started to fell I was doing well with him after like 2 or 3 months of practice, so I don't think he's a easy character to master.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Actually, I think that Yoshi is better on the ground and that this was changed from Brawl where he was good in the air. I think that he is hard to truly master, mostly because of his aerial game. What i have learned from vids is that Yoshi's best combo starters come forom tilts or throws, and stays on the ground unless a combo is open. His down special has gud priority in some cases and is good for cases against Little Mac where you can read his timing on an up-smash...I have seen good recovery options where he comes from sides using dair or bair. His egg roll and egg lay are more useful in this game as I have discovered. I used to hate Yoshi in Brawl but now I think he has a perfect combination of power, speed, and weight.

Woods

Smash Rookie
NNID
WoodyN
3DS FC
5112-4110-2215
Actually, I think that Yoshi is better on the ground and that this was changed from Brawl where he was good in the air. I think that he is hard to truly master, mostly because of his aerial game. What i have learned from vids is that Yoshi's best combo starters come forom tilts or throws, and stays on the ground unless a combo is open. His down special has gud priority in some cases and is good for cases against Little Mac where you can read his timing on an up-smash...I have seen good recovery options where he comes from sides using dair or bair. His egg roll and egg lay are more useful in this game as I have discovered. I used to hate Yoshi in Brawl but now I think he has a perfect combination of power, speed, and weight.
Also his shield now comes up as fast or close to everyone's shield which at times bugged me in brawl, I just love how some people get surprised when I win with yoshi. I went to the smash tournament Nintendo hosted in the 15 game stops I won the first round but then the second to last round i lost but came in 2. Someone who works at Nintendo was like YOSHI?!? YOSHI?! WON?! WATTTTT! It was really fun and hopefully I go to more.:joyful:

Last edited:

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
Never underestimate Yoshi in the Smash Bros. games. Ever. He was very easy for me control back in the Melee and Brawl days, and in time, he became the killing machine he is now.

AirJay

Smash Amatuer
NNID
jordaniscold
3DS FC
0877-0255-3596
Ignore this post

Last edited:

~Rainbow Mika

Smash Cadet
NNID
rigobfd64
3DS FC
0361-6812-0263
heh, it makes me feel good that people agree with me about Yoshi being like "the character that looks cute & useless, but secretly, he's a goddamn beast" :)
Makes me feel proud about using him.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
New sig after all these years featuring my 2 mains. Hope y'all like :D

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Just placed 5th in a 256 man tourney.

Yoshi really is back and we gonna' **** 'em now guys!!!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
New sig after all these years featuring my 2 mains. Hope y'all like :D
Did you draw that yourself? I really like the style a lot. Shall have to remember to watch you later ;)

Just placed 5th in a 256 man tourney.

Yoshi really is back and we gonna' **** 'em now guys!!!
Good job man, you don't disappoint. That's a lot of entrants...I take it it was a major and not a local? :p Either that or you have a huge scene and I'm really envious :<

---
We're gonna need a tournament results thread and a matchup discussion thread going soon, the thread creators would have to be able to be around all the time to update said threads however, and know how they're run. I can do it myself but I want to make sure no one else wants to first.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
It was an online tourney in Austria/Germany, sponsored by Nintendo. (!)
Pretty much everyone from our german speaking scene attended (1st cyve, 2nd Luigi_player, 3rd Light, 4th Eddy,...)
The price was a copy of Smash 4 WiiU. :C

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I've had some trouble with the Link matchup. Any tips? My current strategy is "switch to Zelda". >.>
His projectiles are linear, while you can throw diagonally down. Doublejump will super armor the boomerang. Try to hit with a faster normal if he's on the ground, otherwise I think Yoshi's nair beats Link's Nair.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This art talk reminds me, has anyone actively searched for a decent artist to commission stuph to put on blank colored shirts. (mostly whoever was mentioned in scatz thing on fb)

I honestly haven't seen a single Link yet. lol
Cause people realize despite the decent buffs Link got he's still Link, and while I hate to even mention it, P:M will have the best Link out of the mods/games.

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
Cause people realize despite the decent buffs Link got he's still Link, and while I hate to even mention it, P:M will have the best Link out of the mods/games.
Well yeah, PM Link is pretty ridiculous. Brawl- Link might give him a run for his money, although both of those mods are pretty similar in terms of brokenness. Smash 4 Link is legit good though, I think. He's not unreasonably slow anymore. Brawl Link wasn't that bad outside of his extreme gimpability, and Smash 4 gives him a much better recovery along with plenty of other improvements. Watching Keitaro at KTAR X really gave me faith that Link could do well in Smash 4.

Saturnity

Smash Rookie
A good thing to do is to mash X and upB for sliding egg toss. You'll find yourself punished less when you can slide around on the ground every once in a while.

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068
So how about the ditto? How do we deal with something as broken as Yoshi? :p

I've placed 3rd at the two ~20 man locals I've been to by the way. Working on getting 1st!

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Honestly, Link could possibly be a problem matchup. Recovery is deceptively good, and he kills pretty early. I 2 stocked every link i played on for glory with Yoshi, but I feel like he can avoid being juggled pretty well and actually has good keep away. I need to play good links, still haven't found them.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Link is usually one of those kinda-rough-but-very-winnable-if-you're-on-point matchups.

Link getting a speed boost and some more direct control over Gale Boomerang help a bit. Bombs are less good, which makes recovering easier. Arrows are MUCH better, though, which makes stage control harder and riskier when you can't put non-egg things between you and Link.

Link's neutral air doesn't have the knee anymore on it (at least, I can't make it knee anymore) but I think it's still really good for him in this matchup. Buffed forward tilt and dash attack are really good for him here as well. Dash attack, in particular, is interesting because the jump arc and distance mean we can't stop it or outpoke it--you just legitimately have to block or get out of the way to deal with this move as opposed to old Link dash attacks.

Maybe the biggest deals are the improved down air and the ledge mechanics helping his down tilt. Link just seems to have more options than usual in terms of edgeguarding and he can even choose to style if he wants to with well timed Gale Boomerang pulls to invalidate our lesser Egg Toss recovery in this game.

Link's shield buff is pretty cool, but I don't think it helps much against eggs, considering the angles as well as the explosions on contact. Shieldgrab seems a bit slower to start up for Link despite the better recovery at the end. Most everything else is standard.

This matchup is typically hard for Yoshi across Smash games because Link mostly didn't need speed to compete with Yoshi because he could put so many things on the screen while still moving forward or retreating that Yoshi had to play several mini-games just to get an offense started. Upon closing distance, Link just has great tools for keeping Yoshi's offense at bay with forward tilt, up tilt and jab. After his range buff and up smash buff in Brawl, he's kept those in the transition to this game with even more improvements, so it's a bit harder to win consistently (which is bad), but mostly for the same reasons (which is good--I guess?).

With reduced movement options as time as gone on, the matchup has been getting a bit tougher for Yoshi overall since Yoshi's ground game has traditionally been faster and longer-reaching than his air game. Reduced movement options generally means fewer opportunities to really tap into Yoshi's ground game. New out-of-shield options will probably help out a good bit, though! Rolling is better than ever and Yoshi's jabs, his mainstay in this matchup, are still really good. The flow of this matchup will probably experience momentum shifts more often than in previous games, but the results I feel will largely be the same with Link winning slightly more than Yoshi situation-by-situation.

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
I was having trouble with that but i am also wondering what type of situations it is best used in.

I'm gonna hit up training right now.
I find it more useful for keeping recovering opponents at bay or for setting up combos (I once did a double egg toss > dash attack > uair ko combo).
I wish I could help with aiming, but it's something you cant teach. You dont even know how good you become at it until you begin hitting all eggs.
Wish you luck with your training!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I used to have trouble vs her, there's a thread for this MU discussion where we may be better off going into so information isn't lost. Post about what you're having trouble with there and check the OP in case.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Haven't played any good Shieks yet so I cannot contribute to that discussion.

Hi, Dep. :D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sheik is only hard if she hits you.

Solution: Don't get hit.

You're welcome.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Sheik is only hard if she hits you.

Solution: Don't get hit.

You're welcome.
Thanks Isai
I'm in some finals if anyone wants to watch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaizmo/
Watching was hard cause 1. It's both amazing and upsetting how sheik can make people look good, kinda like MK but not as strong as him of course. 2. You were having so much trouble with sheik you almost got reverse three stocked and 3. You DownB and tried grabbing sheik a bunch when she was nowhere near/under you.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I can't say how much I hate facing Sheik on Battlefield, it's absolutely awful. Johns, I was definitely under performing and there was quite a bit of input lag, but it doesn't excuse my nonsense down Bs or missed grabs. My brain just decided to go to sleep as soon as I was having Battlefield approaching problems instead of playing smart. It's ok if you don't believe me though.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Once upon a time, I used to hang out at the Brawl Yoshi board. A lot's changed since then, but... it's great to be back. =)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Once upon a time, I used to hang out at the Brawl Yoshi board. A lot's changed since then, but... it's great to be back. =)
This is the world's cutest signature.
Mak that number 34!
Done. Thank you. =)

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
This is the first time in 15 years that I've had a steady and single main character in any SSB. It's always shifting around or is a group of characters, but these last couple weeks I've just fell too much in love with Yoshi.

Eggs are so fun. I used to play TF2 competitively as soldier in 6v6 and they feel like his rockets.

so hi :4yoshi:

Top Bottom