• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Luigi is better than Ness.

Also @ YoHeKing YoHeKing I use SHAD -> Uair a lot, it does combo into a Utilt that also combos into other stuff, and it's also safer than Nair on shield if you just use your air speed to continue going foward after hitting the shield with Uair

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Lukinhasss said:
Luigi is better than Ness.

Also @ YoHeKing YoHeKing I use SHAD -> Uair a lot, it does combo into a Utilt that also combos into other stuff, and it's also safer than Nair on shield if you just use your air speed to continue going foward after hitting the shield with Uair
Yeah I know that. Its pretty cool we can get double or triple up air combos. But try to do shad> up air> footstool> nair or down b. 24+%

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
SHAD up air is not more safe on shield than SHAD nair or just landing nair. It has more landing lag and you have less time to drift away.

edit: hold up, footstool > nair works???

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Nair has better reward than uair at that random moment were your opponent is at 50% and is close to the ledge and Nair -> fair is a true combo, but other than that yeah.

Also I'm still not convinced about this hype train about using SHAD -> something so often. Of course it's a good option but I don't think it's so unpunishable as people say

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Actually up air has more sheild pressure. Its makes people slide more and the landing lag makes yoshi small. I use it for stuff like short hop fast fall up air that seriously is alot more safe then people think if used correctly.

Also footstool to nair has always been a thing.

Edit: on my way home

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I'm noit randoml sure who is saying SHAD is unpunishable but it's definitely not. Overall just a good mixup.

@ YoHeKing YoHeKing I just tried footstool > nair and couldn't get it to work.
I dont use shad myself. Its just not tricky enough for me but I do use like unwillingly rarely.

But yeah depending on who you footstool to nair the timing is diffrent. Simply just footstool then nair like 10frames later. It should work on more then half the crew. And it works flawlessly in dittos.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Nair has better reward than uair at that random moment were your opponent is at 50% and is close to the edge and Nair -> fair is a true combo, but other than that yeah.

Also I'm still not convinced about this hype train about using SHAD -> something so often. Of course it's a good option but I don't think it's so unpunishable as people say
The thing about SHAD with Yoshi is that it's super punishable. Like it is brainlessly easy to punish lmfao. But just assuming that you were playing well, Yoshi's tools make it mentally hard to punish.

First off it beats out the usual way you go about punishing yoshi for approaching you by air which is just swatting him out with a fast aerial. It also is slightly harder to beat out with a quick anti air because you actually have to time it so that it's before the aerial, but after the invulnerable frames. If you just charge a lingering hitbox you can beat it out, but Yoshi has enough mobility to plausibly weave back and avoid that, and depending on how laggy your punish option was he can punish you still.

So long story short as long as you have the timing down on the window to punish, you can punish it every single time, but if you're off you get punished instead. Strong Mixup, but a weak option overall.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
The thing aifout SHAD with Yoshi is that it's super punishable. Like it is brainlessly easy to punish lmfao. But just assuming that you were playing well, Yoshi's tools make it mentally hard to punish.

First off it beats out the usual way you go about punishing yoshi for approaching you by air which is just swatting him out with a fast aerial. It also is slightly harder to beat out with a quick anti air because you actually have to time it so that it's before the aerial, but after the invulnerable frames. If you just charge a lingering hitbox you can beat it out, but Yoshi has enough mobility to plausibly weave back and avoid that, and depending on how laggy your punish option was he can punish you still.

So long story short as long as you have the timing down on the window to punish, you can punish it every single time, but if you're off you get punished instead. Strong Mixup, but a weak option overall.
Hes probably most likely talking about cetain MUs and characters. Like If I used it about 2 times per set I doubt it could be punished very badly. Its a good way to get in projectile walls to I guess.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Hes probably most likely talking about cetain MUs and characters. Like If I used it about 2 times per set I doubt it could be punished very badly. Its a good way to get in projectile walls to I guess.
I know I was just explaining the overhype lol. The fact they have to punish it in like directly the opposite way you usually punish yoshi means Yoshis get away with that when nothing else would have worked. If someone let you do this to them more than twice in a row they're probably bad.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
edit: hold up, footstool > nair works???
This was a thing that worked in brawl, not too sure where that data I had is hiding in the Yoshi brawl boards, but it's there. If worked on a portion of characters but not all of em.

Specifics down to like "Need to face left for X character" or right when I did that random bit of data.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
This was a thing that worked in brawl, not too sure where that data I had is hiding in the Yoshi brawl boards, but it's there. If worked on a portion of characters but not all of em.

Specifics down to like "Need to face left for X character" or right when I did that random bit of data.
Oh that old thing? lmfao. I remember sitting around for like a day figuring out everyone it worked on, but real talk its kinda useless. It's super specific and in most cases if you could have footstooled you might as well have just naired.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
No idea. This is the brawl list I got from the old thread I made on it a while back

We have a Guaranteed Aerial Footstool to Nair on these Characters.
  • :zerosuitsamus:ZSS
  • :samus2:Samus
  • :popo: Ice Climbers
  • :squirtle:Squirtle
  • :charizard:Charizard
  • :dk2:DK
  • :bowser2:Bowser
  • :rob:ROB
  • :mario2:Mario
  • :luigi2:Luigi
  • :yoshi2:Yoshi
  • :toonlink:Toonlink
  • :olimar:Olimar
  • :fox:Fox
  • :falco:Falco
  • :wolf:Wolf
  • :lucario:Lucario
  • :ness2:Ness
  • :lucas:Lucas
  • :gw:GnW
  • :sonic:Sonic

We have a Grounded Footstool to Nair on these characters
  • :mario2: Mario
  • :link2: Link
  • :fox: Fox
  • :marth: Marth
  • :gw: Game&Watch
  • :luigi2:Luigi
  • :yoshi2:Yoshi
  • :sheik:Sheik
  • :popo:Ice Climbers
  • :sonic:Sonic
  • :toonlink:Toonlink
  • :wario:Wario
  • :dedede:D3
Edit: oops hit enter, but this is what it was in brawl so it might be worth checking these guys first if you want to try it out.

I've personally never even tried in Smash 4

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
SKype groups can go back as far as possible if you're still in them. I dont remember which group this was though. THere were like 50.
Doesn't matter that much anymore though lol

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
If we're hitting them with an aerial footstool, why not just do Footstool > Down B at that point?
They can possibly move left or right during the startup where nair can't have that issue. It would be character dependent maybe?

edit: tried it on Samus and ROB, and it doesn't come close to working. Maybe footstools changed, or am I missing something?

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
It should work on everyone actually. Im not sure about kirby tho..

Also its good for doing retreating nairs and for good gimping. Because you have your second jump left so you can still do a follow up.

Footstools to nair must of changed for samus. I rrmember before 1.0.6 the buffer for footstool to nair with yoshi changed.

Edit:I just found out some weird buffering mechanic. I cant find it anywhere on the internet.

Also theres a crouch forward crawl momentum changer with yoshi. I cant figure the exact inputs but I think it has to do with auto canceling.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
They can possibly move left or right during the startup where nair can't have that issue. It would be character dependent maybe?

edit: tried it on Samus and ROB, and it doesn't come close to working. Maybe footstools changed, or am I missing something?
I was just making an assumption, I guess the drift is better than I hoped. Perhaps on characters with crap air speed?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Honestly I think you're on to something, down b is a kill move from the air now. A lot of characters have pretty bad air speed.
It actually works on not alot of characters. Some1 should make a thread on footstool combos sence even side b can combo from a footstool. And the characters it works and does not work.

I already know a list of footstool combos off the top of my head if anyone needs it.

Up air footstool down air is probably the easiest and best. 28+% which is amazing.

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I'm talking like 09 Deltacod timeout campy lol.
But how's it been working out for you? I don't do it anymore because in smash4 people tend to rage at you if you play brawl level campy

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I literally play Sm4sh Yoshi exactly like I do Brawl Yoshi only with MUCH less pivot grab and bair and with MUCH more aerial egg toss and fair.

Just space egg lays and egg toss and run away a lot. Only go in with max range fair or nair and stay at mid/long range.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I'm talking like 09 Deltacod timeout campy lol.
But how's it been working out for you? I don't do it anymore because in smash4 people tend to rage at you if you play brawl level campy
I'm talking like sit on Duck Hunt tree for 5 min. Poor Kirby... (it was his CP too) I remember starting a match against Sonic, hit him with 1 egg and jumped to the tree. Great match should have recorded it.

No one has been super mad from it yet and I don't camp THAAT frequently. Usually just against Luigi or when Duck Hunt is chosen.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I'm talking like sit on Duck Hunt tree for 5 min. Poor Kirby... (it was his CP too) I remember starting a match against Sonic, hit him with 1 egg and jumped to the tree. Great match should have recorded it.

No one has been super mad from it yet and I don't camp THAAT frequently. Usually just against Luigi or when Duck Hunt is chosen.
Good idea. Duck hunt is one of my easiest stages and somtimes i have to camp in certain MUs.
I like to run away when I have a stock lead on ness alot.

I got rektd by a god fox today... Im not sure if I was rusty or not but he beat me with 32% left and got insane reads....

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

I have found my successor.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
What a god. So does it work out pretty well in this game?
Characters who can't keep up with us in the air and don't have good sharking pressure are very disadvantaged. Your goal is to bait them to get on the tree, take stage positioning by getting underneath them, and then never engage outside of advantage situations. We can also jump between the 2 sides easily making pseudo circle camp situation. When you have a strong lead you can play more runaway. I could make a list of potential characters if you'd like.

Top Bottom