• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Ill try the B as sheild. But would X or Y be the same? Or maybe Ill add A as sheild.

Ill probably stick with my own configuration though.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why do so many Yoshi players use weird as **** button configurations? Even in Brawl.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The indirect nerf is the loss of being unable to slide of ledges/platform edges using a special move.
Many times yoshi players would purposely throw out an aerial like fair or bair only to UpB to slide off and not get punished to grab the ledge or simply slide underneath a platform and throw an egg where the enemy is trying to punish you at previous location.

It's a nerf.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yeah Yoshis complex when it comes to controls. He has very unique stuff.

You guys have any suggestions on what other song i could use in my combo video? Somthing epic or montage viable?

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Why do so many Yoshi players use weird as **** button configurations? Even in Brawl.
Back in brawl it was just he way the Yoshi meta kind of developed. Our character sucked so we had to find literally every possible advantage.
First we realized that egging offstage was really important for recovery but it was a hassle to do it without blowing our jump. So we turned tap jump off. Then Scatz found out about Y B C controller setup to make DR easier to do. Since you needed to set Y and B to jump, you had to move special over to X. In the process of relearning how to play the game on this janky ass controlsetup you realize that having your thumb on special attack and jump at the same time makes all of Yoshi's techs easier to do. So at that point even the Yoshi's who didn't care about DR adopted it.

There were other smaller innovations inbetween like setting one of the shoulder buttons to jump to make eggtoss sliding easier and some other things I can't remember.

TLDR Yoshi was such a janky character in brawl that we were forced to try new things to make him efficient. In the process everyone ended up finding controls they were more comfortable with.

In smash 4 we can be pretty much just as successful with a regular setup as long as tap is off.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I though my configuration was the weirdest in the world, but then I saw Regralht's controller

Last edited:

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
I want my c stick as tilts. I can do alot of perfect pivots and combos with it but I cant adapt to it..
Sorry if I've forgotten, what do you have it set to right now?

IMHO, Unless you have a particular reason to leave it as is, just do it, lose for a couple months and get used to it by fire.

The only other thing I can see us setting it to is special for easier wave bouncing and related techs.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yeah i always wanted to change to specail but i just cant adapt after over like 600 hours of inbattle gameplay with yoshi...

Scatz

Smash Champion
That's because you have to grind out the practice in training mode like how it is when breaking any other habit.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
That's because you have to grind out the practice in training mode like how it is when breaking any other habit.
this
Back in brawl i made drills for myself and practiced them in training mode on and off. Just make the switch practice in training mode, and when you want some more practical practice go into for fun or for glory mode and play around with it there.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There used to be times I practiced wavebounces and platform canceling for hours, even play friendlies with someone in my city that loved doing platform cancels on SV all day.
Now the most time I put into practicing anything for smash 4 is 1 hour.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
(Completely unrelated to Smash Bros. but........)
Who here saw Jurassic World? I did and it was awesome! Not as good as the originals but still pretty good. :)

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Well the thing is ill do just as good as i normally do. Im the aggressive Yoshi and I use very little eggs during battle(reason why I always loose yoshi dittos). I dont think change the controlls would help me much but I love perfect pivots.

Anyways alot of Yoshi users lately don't think the rosalina MU is even or maybe in yoshis favor. Its a bit ridiculous to. Yoshi can knock out luma so quick and egg pressure rosalina so hard.
The only MU im having trouble with is really good olimars. I have to play at my max to beat olimar. I know the MU is even or in yoshis favor but its one of those MUs you really need to try in. Other then that I dont have any trouble with any other MU.

ividal

Smash Cadet
my hard MU are characters you dont really see people use, in my case, :4tlink:,:4bowser:(rare ocasions),:4metaknight:,:4gaw:,and :4wario: are probably my worst MU in this game

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Well the matchup is braindead on her side because her options in neutral are better. But see the thing with that is her mixups are functionally the same in the matchup so there isn't much extra she can contribute. So it's like once someone has a personal understanding and control of the matchup i can see it being in our favor. Just need to see results first.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Well the matchup is braindead on her side because her options in neutral are better. But see the thing with that is her mixups are functionally the same in the matchup so there isn't much extra she can contribute. So it's like once someone has a personal understanding and control of the matchup i can see it being in our favor. Just need to see results first.
yeah but luma can get knocked out like the fastest. And she has no combos against yoshi.

But im not talking about everyones MU im just talking about personal MUs.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Whenever I lurk through the brawl yoshi boards or the archives it feels like I'm digging up old fossils.

I still don't understand what took me a year and a half to finally join smashboards after brawl's release, but then remember it's cause Rel's forum tho

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Would you pay 10$ to get project M type of yoshi double jump cancel where you could cancel it with tap jump/x and y and where you could not cancel it with the normal jump button?

Just a fun question lol.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey everyone. I've been playing as Yoshi now for the better part of two months. I've become pretty good with him; to the point where I can definitely say he is my main. I'll probably be swinging by every now and then to see what tips and tricks I can learn to help me out and share whatever experiences I have.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Welcome to the ded boreds.
We don't have much activity along with laziness striking the ones that do try to make it somewhat active due to nobody else showing much interest but if you have a question on something check the sticky or skim through useful non-sticky threads like Yoshi Labs or anything that has a promising title.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Thanks. Mostly I'm here because I've been bodied twice on For Glory due to advanced Fox players using that stupid jab combo I knew nothing about until last week... Fortunately I skimmed through the Fox board and discovered, surprisingly, that Yoshi is one of three characters that can actually escape it at any time.

ividal

Smash Cadet
Thanks. Mostly I'm here because I've been bodied twice on For Glory due to advanced Fox players using that stupid jab combo I knew nothing about until last week... Fortunately I skimmed through the Fox board and discovered, surprisingly, that Yoshi is one of three characters that can actually escape it at any time.
indeed, just smash that a button until you"re free, its a good thing about yoshi and one of the things many people hate about him XD

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Welcome to the ded boreds.
We don't have much activity along with laziness striking the ones that do try to make it somewhat active due to nobody else showing much interest but if you have a question on something check the sticky or skim through useful non-sticky threads like Yoshi Labs or anything that has a promising title.
These boards are kind of dead as far as self-sustained discussion go, but I'd say our Q&A/MU threads get some pretty timely replies whenever people are asking questions.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
On a Regional level (all yoshi has going for him after 10 months of this game), Red Green and Dark Blue is more successful in tournament.

Least successful is Purple and Yellow, Light blue Pink and Black is neutral.

Don't agree? Fite me
not in yoshi ditto tho

Top Bottom