• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I play defensive against characters that **** us.
Sheik and Sonic.
Worked against a really patient sheik player in Houston and I 2-0'd him from our previous set at my cities monthly where he beat me. While Sonic I almost won but then he just played more aggressive Set 2 in Loser's and ****ed me.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Any character can be defensive if they can run away and not get hit.

Don't say that on Yoshi boards.
I didn't mean it in a negative way. :/ I was just saying it in playful way. What I meant was, I couldn't see myself camping or being a defensive Yoshi, I love to be on the offensive side... :)

ividal

Smash Cadet
has anyone had any trouble with G&W? theres someone in my area that is a beast with him, and i must say it is pretty annoying having to fight him, doesnt help that in the air i feel he has a lot of attacks that have a huge hitbox, whats your opinion on this guys?

Depster

Smash Champion
I ran a small 2-stock doubles tournament on campus last weekend and ended up with one stock against 4 in one match. Passive-Aggressive Yoshi nearly won it for me, got their last guy to like 140%, but he was fatty Dedede and I was playing this game for like the 10th time lol

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
How does :4yoshi: deal with custom :4dk:? I'm thinking of picking up :4yoshi: now. I love that he has a command grab, which I know would beat out kong cyclone. I also like his Nair and heavy armor jump to be safe.

:018:

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Yoshi can nair DK's Cyclone once the super armor wears off, or like any character airdodge (which isn't a win but 3% is better than 15%). It can also lose to sheild > punish or projectiles of you're at a distance. I'm not sure if the command grab would be helpful because it'd require really good spacing if it's really disjointed and DK can move around.

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
Well I mean I survived multiple strong hits I would've died on any other stage except maybe wuhu (cause recently someone been stating that wuhu vertical and horizontal bigger than a lot of stages, Kongo included) but out of the 4/5 times the stage saved me from death, the one time it saved him honestly was last stock.

So I think it was a good CP, just unfortunate the entire match it was on my side until the end.
Wuhu is NOT the biggest no. Look at the stage heights and knockout % compilation

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I'm having so much trouble with Yoshi. I'm fully convinced he's Overpowered.

Plz Yoshi mains. Help me change my mind.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The frame data is not that ridiculous. Yoshi's moves either come out fast but take forever to end, or have considerable start up. Sheild is a godsend against Yoshi -- most of his moves are punishable on block, and the ones that aren't can be reacted to with some OoS option.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Where do people get this whole "yoshi's frame data is broken" when the likes of Sheik and Diddy exist.
I was told that. Of course my Placebo effect got the best of me.

The frame data is not that ridiculous. Yoshi's moves either come out fast but take forever to end, or have considerable start up. Sheild is a godsend against Yoshi -- most of his moves are punishable on block, and the ones that aren't can be reacted to with some OoS option.
Ok. Thank for the advice. :)

Arlight. I am now convinced that Yoshi isn't OP. Thank you fellow Yoshi's!

(Plz don't hurt me)

Last edited:

DustinxD

Smash Rookie
So, I was in a local tournament last night and we were on stream! It was Smash 4 Doubles and I had teamed up with SpecV and we actually got second in the tournament! We managed to beat some of the best players in the city, both who used Diddy and Mii Brawler (extremely broken, the Brawler managed to get a 0% to 63% kill earlier with a spark on me off the side and I had seen a kill spark off the top hitting a DK at like 36%, fortunately they didn't die; Brawler y u so broken) in the tournament, customs were allowed but I only used Egg Launch. We had lost the first game but we came back and won 3 games in a row after that. We didn't do so hot at the against the team at the end unfortunately. xD

Here's the link: http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity/b/655210921

It starts at 05:10:40, I'm the blue Yoshi with the "EGGS!~" tag of course. Not too bad considering I barely played Smash (maybe once a year?) until Smash 4 released. The custom up B the commentator is referring to is the Dong-kopter (the whirlwind super-armour one), many people were beaten by it and in singles that same guy who used that move placed second in Smash 4 singles.

In terms of commentary it's quiet for a while but someone new commentates in the later sets.

Last edited:

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
Good job my yoshi friend

First thing i notice is that you down b way too much. It is very punishable and unless you use it to ledge snap, not our best option to get down. A better option would be fast fall->fair/nair. or simply protect your fall with eggs.

Another thing i notice is that you don't seem to be spacing your attacks properly. I see you use you attacks early quite often.

You also seem to get flustered sometimes and it looks like you feel like you HAVE to do something. Sometimes it leads to an egg throw onto your friend. Remember that a neutral game where NOTHING happens is better than a rushed decition.

Other than that i think you did really well.

Last edited:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Well, I can understand him though, as I clearly broke a rule.
But damn I didn't expect it to escalate like this...

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
ok. I am super tired now^^ Finally got this done after 7 hours of programming, stat checking and forum managing.
I hope you guys have fun with the stats, and if someone has time to check out knockout percentages of up air(against mario in training) id love to run it trough the program and add it to the list.

DustinxD

Smash Rookie
Good job my yoshi friend

First thing i notice is that you down b way too much. It is very punishable and unless you use it to ledge snap, not our best option to get down. A better option would be fast fall->fair/nair. or simply protect your fall with eggs.

Another thing i notice is that you don't seem to be spacing your attacks properly. I see you use you attacks early quite often.

You also seem to get flustered sometimes and it looks like you feel like you HAVE to do something. Sometimes it leads to an egg throw onto your friend. Remember that a neutral game where NOTHING happens is better than a rushed decition.

Other than that i think you did really well.
Yea, I had noticed I was using down B a lot, I don't usually use it; my main game is using B-reversals to land and sometimes I down B to grab the ledge but it's a bit more difficult if you have two people jumping up in an attempt to up air you lol. When I do use down B it's mainly for punishes when I block an attack and they're right in front or behind me (I just B-reverse the down B, works like a charm).

I do need to work on spacing for sure and I'd like to figure out how to crawl back after I use fairs to slide back and avoid a punish. I have the crawl slide down when I'm just simply jumping but I can't seem to get it to work after an aerial. I'll keep that in mind about not having to do something all the time, I'm usually doing something because I'm used to it I suppose. I mainly play Singles but apparently I played kinda trashy in Singles on Friday but we did well in Doubles.

Thanks for the input. :)

Last edited:

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
Yea, I had noticed I was using ...
No problem. Even if i can't git good myself, i can at least try to help you guys improve. I do many of the same mistakes, and without anyone to practice with(locally) i am stuck fighting bots and learning their habits of input reading and ****.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
SOMEONE HELP ME TEST THIS.
I am about 100% sure that Jab down b is a real combo still, just not on everyone. I was playing a fox and he was shielding the down b. Consistently. But once he got to higher percents and I was still doing it, he wasn't shielding it anymore and I feel like he couldnt' actually do anything to get out of it.

So if anyone has someone they can use to help them test this out i would love the help. We've been using it as a "Mixup" but It might still be real, and that could be big.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Hitstun/Fast fallers (fox) might be why it worked at the higherish %. Prolly not so good at low %'s but if we wanna do this, what we need is like a 2nd person with us testing every single % up to like 70%-110% maybe.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Gonna try hitting the lab a bit with Yoshi. Our resident robot has been awol so I gotta pick up for Grampz lol.

I can't test DI for obvious reasons, but I tested it by holding shield with fox after the first jab and then spamming down b. I did this with 2 controllers on FD in a regular game, not training mode. Tests under the cut.

Okay now did a lot of tests and could control enough variables to say that on Fox, Jab followups are guaranteed, but are percent based.
That said with or without DI, after getting jabbed, fox cannot act in the air. With a fresh jab at over 200% if he didn't DI, fox couldn't jump after getting jabbed until he landed on the ground. With maximum 200% rage on Yoshi, fox could start jumping our of a jab at around 170%

Those percents will never happen in a real game because one of us will be long dead. But tell us that the fastest thing that fox can ever do after a jab is shield, so whenever shield stops working, it is a combo because he can't jump out. That in mind made fox really easy to test because we didn't have to worry about nair combo breaking it, him being able to jump our or some foolishness like that.

Testing with a 0% Yoshi with fresh moves, Fox could no longer shield a down b at 70%~. At 130%~ he was at an awkward distance and the down b would not connect. With stale moves however, fox could no longer shield a down b at around 80~. When stale, the jab down b still worked until 145~

Sort of tested for other followups, but not that hard. Dtilt starts working around the same time downb does. Stops working significantly after down b stops working. Jab to walk up nair worked at least once, but that was probably at a pretty high percentage. I couldn't test dash grab properly without being able to effectively time foxes jab, but that is probably a true combo later on too.

You can skip all that. The basic results say that Jab to down b works on Fox from around 70 - 145~ assuming no DI, but from the basic DI testing I did I don't think it would get him out of the first hit of down b anyway. Also it looks like there is potential for other followups on fox at the very least that I couldn't really test by myself.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
What's insane is my first two numbers I typed up was 140% and 130%
Albeit the 130% is mostly cause it's the max peak for rage and 70% not only a decent threshold for % stuph but also the 2nd time rage it's another stage.

Either way, cool to know 70% might be the focal point for a lot of characters that jab downb works.

Scatz

Smash Champion
You know I still watch you guys talk in here. >_>

Someone needs to step up on the frame data stuff. I don't have a WiiU, so I don't have a means of testing.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
What's insane is my first two numbers I typed up was 140% and 130%
Albeit the 130% is mostly cause it's the max peak for rage and 70% not only a decent threshold for % stuph but also the 2nd time rage it's another stage.

Either way, cool to know 70% might be the focal point for a lot of characters that jab downb works.
Honestly, that might have just been fox and people who fall at around his speed. The dude literally couldn't jump out no matter what, but some characters can jump out at 0. Though maaaaybe theres potential for upsmash on the characters who can jump out.
Shrug idk Someone else has to help me test this stuff. Theres like 50 characters in this game lol.

You know I still watch you guys talk in here. >_>

Someone needs to step up on the frame data stuff. I don't have a WiiU, so I don't have a means of testing.
lmfao I know man I was just kiddin'. buuuut honestly without you around not much labbing gets done :p Felt like i should at least try to contribute.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Lmao. I'm kind of done testing, but If you guys want to help me out, I'm thinking we should tackle the faster fallers. I tested ZSS and I think she has potential for followups, so everyone above her in fastfall speed should at least be looked at. According to the wiki we're talking these guys.

Fox
King Dedede
Greninja
Captain Falcon
Falco
Little Mac
Mega Man
Sheik
Diddy Kong
Zero Suit Samus

Some pretty decent characters tbh. See what you guys can find.

Scatz

Smash Champion
lmfao I know man I was just kiddin'. buuuut honestly without you around not much labbing gets done :p Felt like i should at least try to contribute.
Kidding? I don't know that emotion. It's tedious work. Either you enjoy doing the research, or you constantly get like 20% done when you start testing.

The robots processors are old too. He doesn't see yika and I's thread with frame data or moveset data.
I haven't checked Smash 4 frame data because I don't play singles in tournaments. It'll kill my enjoyment of the game in probably one month at best (teams are an exception). Also, I got an upgrade on my processor years ago! :mad:

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
Hitstun/Fast fallers (fox) might be why it worked at the higherish %. Prolly not so good at low %'s but if we wanna do this, what we need is like a 2nd person with us testing every single % up to like 70%-110% maybe.
The effective way of testing is NOT testing every % but doing what i call a binary three. This is how you do it:
  1. start at a % that sounds reasonable(for example 70%). Test it there.
  2. If it Works at the initial percentage, go lower, i usually decrease it by 20%. If it didn't work, increase it by the same amount.
  3. Once you have found 1 value where it works(high one) and 1 value where it doesn't work(low one) Take the middle of those two and test it there.
  4. If it does work, then you have a new high value. if it doesn't work you have a new low. Repeat step 3 until you have 1 percentage which is the tipping point.
I did this when i was testing knockout percentages and it speeds stuff up tremendously

also @ CelestialMarauder~ CelestialMarauder~ feel free to add me on NNID, id be happy to help out testing some, although you might have to send me a message here or on skype first.

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Is there a thread specifically for connecting with other Yoshi players on the board (for online or in person play)? I didn't see one.

I started using Yoshi, but I have a lot of work to do, and I have a lot of problems in the mirror match (among other things).

Top Bottom