• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Oh yeah I was doing something on platforms. If you want I can post what I already have laying around and you guys can talk about it/add input and then from there I can use that Input while I'm finalizing the actual post.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I reminded just in case lol

NOW AS OWNER OF THE MU CHART I DECLARE DIDDY AND SHEIK A -4 FOR US UNTIL THE PATCH :^)
Diddy's airborne splits and potassium game too strong
Sheik's Sushi shop is booming as our Egg Drop Soup stand pales in comparison.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
First time I see the "There are more posts" warning in the Yoshi boards.

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
@DragN For simplicity, here's the info from the Ditto thread.

1. FC: 1934-0989-6824
  2. 3DS ID: Neturn
Actually, this is slightly out of date. The 3DS ID changed recently when I set up club Nintendo. It's now RedN. FC should be the same.

Thanks for looking it up!

@DragN . I've just added you. Sorry it took so long, things kinda fell apart for me and I'm trying to recover. It's probably going to be busy for awhile and will have some trouble saying exactly when I'll be open, but if we are ever online at the same time, I owe you a round or two.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This is it
I found the problem
All the answers is clear

Reason Jab to DownB doesn't work anymore is because people can DI away from it if the first hit of downb hits whether high or low %.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y_puESR3BQ#t=2m2s

Oh and don't forget to start doing airdodge to nair from shorthop, it ****ing works for some damn reason.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I've been messing around with jab cancels for all my characters recently and I'm liking Jab to f-smash on Yoshi alot. Jab to U-smash seems to be the more popular setup, but I'm finding f-smash to be more reliable with its range and power. Jab to U-smash is still pretty good though, especially since running U-smash usually works at higher percents and is better to use when facing away from the ledge and maybe at center stage as well. I also like Jab to U-tilt for low percent combos.

I have a feeling that you all already know this though :/ It's difficult when you get Smash 2-3 months after the release date.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
If this isn't Yoshi's voice in the next game, I'll get angry :mad:
It would be the perfect way to guilt trip people for beating up the poor lil' guy.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
If this isn't Yoshi's voice in the next game, I'll get angry :mad:
It would be the perfect way to guilt trip people for beating up the poor lil' guy.
OH GOODNESS NO THAT'S TOO ADORABLEEEE

Holy egg toss I've never heard anything more amazingly cute in my life

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Personally I think his MKWii/sports voice is ideal, his voice is a lot more rounded and not quite so high pitched and, well...'kiddy', but still extremely cute. Although he's always cute anyways. :)

Thiiiis though:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Swaying from the voice thing real quick, btw MKW/8 voice > MSC sadly. MKW/8 is just an upgraded version of the MSC

Yoshi unchanged, Sheik buffed mostly but no nerfs to her main problems making her gud, Diddy destroyed, Sonic slightly nerfed, rosalina unchanged Fox Falcon etc. nothing yet.
We can go home, now to see what happens in terms of tournaments.

Cause just like league, even the tiniest of nerfs or buffs to either meta or any random characters makes the rise of somebody happen. So maybe more Sheik's and Yoshi mains.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The buffs are about as small as the nerfs, but just bouncing fish and vanish killing like 2-6% earlier
wow

It's nothing, just like the nerfs. I mean I guess bair isn't reliable to kill anymore but it sets up into bouncing fish like half her kit already.
No fair needle or flailing whale nerf like we needed.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Swaying from the voice thing real quick, btw MKW/8 voice > MSC sadly. MKW/8 is just an upgraded version of the MSC

Yoshi unchanged, Sheik buffed mostly but no nerfs to her main problems making her gud, Diddy destroyed, Sonic slightly nerfed, rosalina unchanged Fox Falcon etc. nothing yet.
We can go home, now to see what happens in terms of tournaments.

Cause just like league, even the tiniest of nerfs or buffs to either meta or any random characters makes the rise of somebody happen. So maybe more Sheik's and Yoshi mains.
Since Hoo-Hah isn't broken anymore, then does this mean we'll go back to seeing a thousand Little Macs instead of Diddys?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It means more people playing Sheik Fox and Falcon.
Barely anything was changed with Sheik in terms of nerfs+buffs so the number 2 is number 1 again whereas Diddy prolly gonna drop to like top 5 or 10.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
The problem with balancing Sheik is there doesn't seem to really be a good way to do it. Her damage output is pitiful without her strings, and killing before 150%+ is a miracle. If they take away her safety, she has nothing. Fast but weak is her whole schtick. She has to play really really well, or else any lead she gets can get torn away from her because of the huge kill% differences and damage output. Assuming there's no gimps, she has to do pretty much double the damage of her opponent to win, with moves that do less damage.

Lag on fair will break her most reliable way to rack up damage and make spacing very difficult due to lacking heavily in the range department on pretty much everything but bair. Her speed is the only reason she can get away with her short reach. A better solution would be to give it a tight autocancel window to limit where she can fair. Needles could stand with a simple horizontal range decrease, as that won't **** up how she works. But bouncing fish basically IS Sheik. Tampering with it too much will ruin her. It ruins her recovery, it ruins her (lack of) kill power, it ruins her edge guarding, and it ruins her combos. And it's not like she can just spam it and only it all day. She needs the rest of her moves to ever land it, except maybe for edge guarding, where the unique wall bounce aspect brings a whole new dimension to it. The only thing I can think of to fairly nerf it is make it not bounce on shield, so she can be punished for throwing it out stupidly.

Don't get me wrong, Sheik is ridiculously good, and if there was a good way to bring her down a bit, I'd say she really needs it. The problem is I just don't see how. She doesn't have any standout bull**** that can easily be tweaked. The way everything she has works together is what makes her good. They'd basically have to either make a completely new character by balancing the damage and kill power with her safety by changing how almost every move works, or make her absolute garbage by making her unsafe. And with how integral bouncing fish is to everything she does, tampering with it will completely change every aspect of how she works. Lowering it's knockback in the first patch was a reasonable thing, because that didn't ruin how she worked, but doing that again will make killing 10x the nightmare it already is.

Considering I play her, I'm fine with the minimal changes. It means I don't have to drop her. Yet. I fully expect her to get nerfed eventually, and I expect her to drop to low tier when it happens. She's not like Diddy with obvious things that can be toned down and still have him work. I see Diddy as easily contending in the top tiers still, especially with those hitboxes. He's just not bull**** anymore.

tl;dr
Sheik needs nerfs, but I don't see a good way to do it.

On the bright side, Sheik is a million times more interesting to watch or fight than Diddy.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I feel like... Pivot grab as a little less ending lag, still terrible though.

Can anyone confirm this?

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Tested every single Yoshi move on 2 frame perfect synched WiiU's.
There are no changes on Yoshi, except for the ledge getup attack buff (way less ending lag).

A good day for us.

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Tested every single Yoshi move on 2 frame perfect synched WiiU's.
There are no changes on Yoshi, except for the ledge getup attack buff (way less ending lag).

A good day for us.
Let's make a toast everyone, to our character.:4yoshi:
Now, with :4diddy:out of the way, I see a brighter future for us. The sky is clear, the air is fresher, and the path to a higher tier is open. Hopefully we will be able to walk through it soon.
To our health! *drinks grape juice*

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Shh, let the kiddies have their apple juice. They have no need to know the horrors of war.
They must experience themselves before they can start drinking the blood of their enemies after their hard fought battles as the spoils of war.
Just as the Blood God has done before us.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Yes a more viable getup attack! Don't know if I'll still use it though :p Diddy nerfs went swell, but sheik is gonna be a problem even with her nerfed bair.

Does anyone know if the point blank Fsmash miss thing was fixed?

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Yes a more viable getup attack! Don't know if I'll still use it though :p Diddy nerfs went swell, but sheik is gonna be a problem even with her nerfed bair.

I haven't checked, but I've heard it was for DK, so there is a chance.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
They fixed a bunch of Smashes like multihits for Zelda Greninja etc. from missing half the time, so maybe they fixed Fsmash missing point blank too.

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I think the game devs see it as part of the game. I've seen some other characters with similar issues (I've gotten too close to ZSS's jab, for example) and I just had it happen online (which, admittedly, might just be online being online). Finger's crossed I'm wrong.

Shh, let the kiddies have their apple juice. They have no need to know the horrors of war.
They must experience themselves before they can start drinking the blood of their enemies after their hard fought battles as the spoils of war.
Just as the Blood God has done before us.
Every time I hit this board, I somehow get reminded why Yoshi boards >>>>> all other boards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom