• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The timing is ridiculous though, especially on the forward smash.

At any rate, we should go back to the matchups at hand.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Although the fair thing is a great bonus, I don't think it makes the matchup unbelievably in Yoshi's favor, since Squirtle's pretty good at not getting grabbed. I'd say maybe 8:2, although 7.5:2.5 is more likely.

For Ivysaur, the only thing I can't stress enough is that you CAN'T end up just above Ivysaur. In that position, she'll either usmash you or bullet seed you, both of which hurt a lot. She also has a bit of trouble approaching you, just because she's pretty sluggish and Razor Leaf has limited range.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Although the fair thing is a great bonus, I don't think it makes the matchup unbelievably in Yoshi's favor, since Squirtle's pretty good at not getting grabbed. I'd say maybe 8:2, although 7.5:2.5 is more likely.
Well Squirtle's primary approaches are from low horizontal airs, which can be pivot grabbed easily. Squirtle has to change his entire game just to even stand a shot against Yoshi, but even then he's running a huge risk. He can't play defensively either because he lacks a Projectile. It's just not worth it, and I can tell you right now that every single Trainer Main will agree with me that it would be better just to exclude Squirtle altogether and just use 2 Charizard's, or 2 Ivysaur's

Chaco

Never Logs In
So....anyone care to help me with Olimar? Especially the über spammy sort.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
So....anyone care to help me with Olimar? Especially the über spammy sort.
I play P~S at tournamets and he likes to throw and grab so then I back air A LOT it kills pikamen and he can't grab you when you do the back air. Thats my only real advice I have pretty much try to be a lot more aerial then grounded.

Tip: don't do a SH Dair I think you know what I mean.;)

Tip#2: when hes off the stage either grab the edge or Bair multiple times kinda like a wall of pain

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
So what's PT's match-up looking like so far? I see a major disadvantage for Squirtle already...

Chaco

Never Logs In
But here's the thing he cancelled my bairs when I used them.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
I see. I kinda want to play a Yoshi with my PT, but god knows WiFi can be unforgiving...

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i have only fought one really good yoshi, and that was months ago. so i'd totally be up for some matches. i don't know what this chaingrab thing is that ***** squirtle but i'd like to see it in action...and then try to avoid it.

i'd also think that charizard's grab range (which i don't THINK has been mentioned) can grab yoshi out of anything except maybe bair. zard also outranges yoshi. ftilt and dtilt are both good spacers, most zards save dtilt to kill, just in case.

someone made the point about dsmash, and yeah it's a very good roll punisher, ESPECIALLY against yoshi.

dair is a very strong spike, i would think it'd hit yoshi out of his dj armor.

rock smash. rock smash. ROCK SMASH. both a very good approach and pretty good defensive maneuver (anticipate and use as yoshi nears or jump backward and use). and zard can land it if he's above yoshi.

flamethrower is also a pretty nice approach, no idea what yoshi might do to counter it. egg toss probably.

ivysaur outranges yoshi and i think outcamps as well...dunno how razor leaf v egg toss goes. bair wall will frustrate yoshi's as it beats yoshi's own almighty bair. on the ground yoshi and ivy have similar games, i think. not sure who wins there but maybe ivy due to dtilt and jabs being disjointed.

make one mistake, or ivy anticipates and dodges an attack, and yoshi will probably eat 30% bullet seed damage.

squirtle is pretty bad i guess. iduno i keep hearing about this grab release or something.

ivysaur is pretty good. neutral to slight advantage maybe. same for charizard. at least one of them likely has the advantage.

as such, squirtle's matchup can be almost completely negated by a good pt and smart switches.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Well sure, I'll go for it. Now works?

3909-7338-8171

If I lag, it's because someone gets on the computer. I apologize ahead of that if that happens.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Huh, really good Yoshi. I was clueless for those first few fights, if you didn't notice.

I suppose that I agree with the general match-ups overall... well, maybe 7:3 when it comes to Squirtle. I just wish I didn't look like an idiot with Charizard.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yeah, most people are. Yoshi

Hmm... Yeah, the Fair Spike isn't work as well as I was hoping it would. Seems to have troubles Sweetspoting. I got it to work twice, but 2 out of 5 isn't that great. It messes him up, but he can recover from a failed sweetspot. And I expected something with your Charizard, I usually get owned by them.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Heh, well to be honest, I've only been playing PT against other people for about two weeks now, so I've still gotta practice with him. I couldn't approach you with Charizard to save my life, and I felt helpless, lol.

Nevertheless, I learned a lot today.

Scala

Smash Ace
BEHOLD THE POWER OF T3H YOSH

I think 'zard looks like he's way better than yoshi on paper, but those stats don't translate very well to real matches. Also, squirtle pretty much has no chance against yoshi, especially since a grab = death at 30%

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Eh... I wouldn't say "no chance." I think I held against Mmac's Yoshi better with Squirtle than I did with Charizard, though that probably just reinforces the fact that my Charizard is laughable. I almost KO'd his Yoshi with Squirtle... *almost.*

Mmac

Smash Lord
BEHOLD THE POWER OF T3H YOSH

I think 'zard looks like he's way better than yoshi on paper, but those stats don't translate very well to real matches. Also, squirtle pretty much has no chance against yoshi, especially since a grab = death at 30%
I still think Charizard is pretty tough. He can block eggs with his Fair!

And it's actually 10%. I only got a 20% Success rate so far though (Stupid Sweetspot, why couldn't Sakurai just leave it alone ;_ ; ). I'm going to have to play some more Squirtles, and a better Charizard

Eh... I wouldn't say "no chance." I think I held against Mmac's Yoshi better with Squirtle than I did with Charizard, though that probably just reinforces the fact that my Charizard is laughable. I almost KO'd his Yoshi with Squirtle... *almost.*
Yeah, but if that Fair connected that time you almost KO'ed me, then I would have only have about 14% on your Ivysaur. Again, I gotta play alot more Squirtles

Mmac

Smash Lord
Olimar help...?

/is ignored*
What type of spammer?

Wait, actually just Bair all 3. Try to attack at a 45* Angle. If he throws tons of Pikmin, use SideB. It kills them all.

Also if you can land a Neutral B, then it will leave the pikmin open to attack.

And running grab can beat out his grabs

D

Deleted member

Ok, just approach with bairs, if he jumps, egg roll and hes gone. Now u can just uair, egg and egg roll ur way to victory until he can get back on solid ground, then he can give more problems. Offstage olimar is a joke, thats all.
I gotz tourny olimar exp and ive never lost to any of them so thats my basic gameplan. XD

Scala

Smash Ace
seriously, egg roll is so ****. I'm learning to love this move, not just in the olimar vs yoshi matchup. if you roll past someone while they're dropping, you can get a free attack at their shield since they'll be facing the wrong direction by rolling back. I'm starting to learn that a major part of yoshi's game is his shield poke game. Once you wear down their shield enough that bair will hit no matter what, it's game over for them because they will just get comboed to infinity

Mmac

Smash Lord
we reached a Conclusion from the MetaKnight Thread.

On the Flat Stages, Yoshi has a 6:4 Advantage

On the other stages, Yoshi is at 5:5 Neutral.

So it should be about 5.5:4.5

SOVAman

Smash Hero
we reached a Conclusion from the MetaKnight Thread.

On the Flat Stages, Yoshi has a 6:4 Advantage

On the other stages, Yoshi is at 5:5 Neutral.

So it should be about 5.5:4.5
Do you mean FD for the flat stage because thats the only stage we are neutral on other whys its a disadvantage. Trust me MK does not have disadvantages. The CG or the release does not mean we have an advantage MK is just to good.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I have to agree with Lil' B for the most part.

As far as stages go, I think Yoshi has a few under his belt for that matchup besides Final Destination, but the matchup is, at best, 4:6. I really wish it were neutral or even in our favor, but I just don't see it. First off, he wins on paper hands down: best character in the game, best moves in the game, fastest moves in the game, most unpunishable moves in the game. In the fray, the only Meta Knights anybody will really have an advantage on are bad ones. Even the baddies that spam Up+B and Tornado will beat decent players simply because the moves are so good.

Yoshi can space, yes, but all of his spacing options quickly get dash grabbed out of shield and neutral air is just a bear of a combo breaker/utility move/edgeguarder/whatever the **** you want it to be since it's Meta Knight. I could go on and on (especially since I am still unsure about Yoshi actually CGing Meta Knight), but the fact remains that the character on its own makes the matchup automatically neutral at best, and when you figure in the actual strengths and weaknesses of the two, the matchup tips to Meta Knight.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I hate to agree to this but I'm going to have to, the only truly flat stages without alot of interference are FD and SV. Let alone that is only two stages. We may have the advantage there but when it comes to all the other stages MK wins.

D

Deleted member

We dont have the advantage on any stage. Period. Imo, MK can kill yoshi just as well. Again, just because you beat MKs, doesnt mean the matchup is neutral, just means u have alot more Mk experience than they do yoshi. After a few matches, a good MK wont be falling into pivot grabs very often,.

4.5-5.5 at best, id go with 4-6, not worse not better. Actually, probably even on FD, sv is kinda small, which isnt good imo against MK(some exceptions).

Hmm what do we CP against MK.

bigman40

Smash Master
We dont have the advantage on any stage. Period. IMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMO, MK can kill yoshi just as well. Again, just because you beat MKs, doesnt mean the matchup is neutral, just means u have alot more Mk experience than they do yoshi. After a few matches, a good MK wont be falling into pivot grabs very often,.

4.5-5.5 at best, id go with 4-6, not worse not better. Actually, probably even on FD, sv is kinda small, which isnt good IMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMOIMO against MK(some exceptions).

Hmm what do we CP against MK.
GOD I hate that word!

D

Deleted member

Hmmm im being beat at my own game...darn post editing. Fine IMOIMOIMOIMO works.

But seriously, what do u counterpick? What do u mean u dont counter pick. uhhh hmmm...maybe...pictochat if its allowed, good camping there.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Hmmm im being beat at my own game...darn post editing. Fine IMOIMOIMOIMO works.

But seriously, what do u counterpick? What do u mean u dont counter pick. uhhh hmmm...maybe...pictochat if its allowed, good camping there.
I mean it won't make a difference if you counter pick you might as well let the MK counter pick cuz what ever you chose won't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom