• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Mains: What Are Your Secondaries and Why?

Metatitan

Smash Master
So I was a tad curious about this subject so I decided to make a thread on it. Shocking I know. Anyways Just list down what character you main (if it's not yoshi then you are obviously secondaring yoshi) and your secondaries and give a reason for why you use each character. And for a show of good sport, I'll go first.

Main: Yoshi
Reason: I've been a huge fan of Yoshi ever since I was three. I didn't use him in melee (I didn't play melee competitively but even if I did I doubt I would have used him) but I loved his competitive style in brawl (once i got into competitive smash).

Secondaries:

Jigglypuff
Reason: This one is actually funny. I remember with my friend who pretty much spams the C stick and thinks he should win, we would always pick random and just play (he would make me reset if I got yoshi :p). And about half the matches, I got jigglypuff and I actually had fun with her and did surprisingly well. And thus I had a secondary xD. I decided to get serious with jiggylpuff because I knew she was underrated (not too underrated mind you, she still sucks ***) and because there is nothing more satisfying then when you rest someone's *** off stage :D

Peach
Reason: Oh boy peach. Well when I didn't play competitively, I mained peach in melee (I use her as a secondary in melee now cuz shes fun there too) because I pretty much just spammed down smash LOL. Well I was initially turned off by brawl peach because they nerfed her down smash. Since the start of brawl, I had been on again off again with peach and have dropped her about 6 times *shot by Edrees*. However, after talking at first on AIM to Edrees about yoshi, he inspired me to try and pick up peach again. So I did and I ended up getting a pretty nice peach (or so I have been told). So now she is here to stay :D

Samus
Reason: Lmao when i first used samus all I did was zair and missiles. No I really mean ALL I DID WAS ZAIR AND MISSILES. I pretty much just ****ed around with her until I saw footage of xyro and tudor's combo video and decided to try her out seriously. I absolutely loved her weird *** playstyle and thus decided to second her.

Kirby
Reason: When I decided to try to get into competitive melee (I am still trying but melee locals aren't that common anymore) I decided to use kirby as a secondary since he was so bad. Well I pretty much took my melee kirby and applied it to brawl kirby and it worked. I adjusted my playstyle until I had a legitimate brawl kirby. Not many people have seen him so I'd have to see he's just decent atm, I'll get him good eventually :D

Zamus
Reason: I just picked her up yesterday and I love her. She is so unique and so difficult to play as. She is as hard or harder to play as than yoshi. My reasons for using her was simply that I had gone through the entire roster and found the characters I had fun playing as, but I had forgotten about zamus. So I tried her and she was fun, really fun. She is still really new but I plan to get better with her, especially since WC has like, no zamus users anymore (why claw, why :().

Well those are my summaries on why I use the characters I use, please list yours now :D

Also I hear a lot about peach users only being able to use girl characters, YOSHI AND KIRBY ARE BOYS SO HA :p. That and the gender of the characters didn't matter to me, it was who I have fun with :D

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

Reason: I was just playing through the single player modes when Yoshi was the next on my list to beat Classic as. I played with him through it and I loved playing as him, and eventually realized he was my best character. I'd changed my best around quite a bit but I'm sticking with the dinosaur.

Secondaries: Nobody, really. I'm not as good with anyone else as I'd like. I can really only play Yoshi decently. =[

And MEea, good to see I'm not the only one here who's new to competitive smash. =]

Chaco

Never Logs In
Main Yoshi:

DarkLeviathan taught me to play Yoshi, and the day I started to learn him DR was just found. So as bad as it was, my first skill with Yoshi was DR. From there it's been a love-hate relationship with him.

Secondaries:

I really don't have a solid secondary. I **** around with GW, Wario, and whoever else I feel like it. I use Olimar on Meta for the lulz. I used to mess with ZSS, D3, and so on.

D

Deleted member

ive used him since SSB64, when i played competative melee i used yoshi, and i still use yoshi. Hes a silly character and i wuvs him.

Co-Main: Senior Game and Watch
G&W is good, hes fun, he punishes super hard, and his mixups are amazingly cool. Landing early kill moves by being tricky is really satisfying. Hes just fun and i like playing someone who is better than yoshi, but still takes a lotttt of work.

Secondaries:
Link:
Hes cool, he camps, hurray

Meta knight:
Hes cool, he camps, hurray. Running out the clock makes me smile :)
Luigi:
I dont really play him much anymore, but my luigi is sorta good.
Wario:
He is fun

Airborne

Smash Lord
Back in september, i played a friendly with my old sparring partner, and decided to choose yoshi since i always had so much fun with him. after realizing that yoshi's bair and tilts were so much fun, i took him into more consideration and ended up where i am today. =D

Secondary:
Falco
Been using him since scrub melee and on, he's the reason why i named myself airborne in the first place. however, i have not been able to find a common ground between getting good with him and yoshi at the same time, as to where i can perform well wih both in the same time frame. =\ i'm on and off with one or the other. =( but i love yoshi more so =P

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922

At first, I thought he completely sucked. Then one day I decided to play as him as a joke and I actually did extremely well with him. Since then he's been my main. He's also extremely fun to play as, too. ^_^

Secondary #1: Zelda

Zelda was my main before I found Yoshi. I just love her smashes (especially d-smash) and Lightning Kicks (which I'm very proficient at landing now). Her d-taunt is so perfect for her. And Nayru's Love owns.

Still working on incorporating Sheik, though...

Secondary #2: Toon Link

I always seconded Link in the previous two games, but in this game I realized early on that he completely sucks (at least in 64 he had some merit...). So, I went for Toon Link instead because I like how everything about him is like Link but better. XP

Secondary #3: Luigi

Because he's Luigi. Duh. Also, I tried maining him in this game like I did in 64 and Melee, but something about him didn't seem right to me and I can't completely adjust to his play-style, so he's just a secondary now.

Secondary #4: Ness

My Ness is not really tournament viable, but he's still OK. Like Link, I always seconded Ness in the previous two Smash games. I just like how he is so good in the air and how unique his play-style is.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Main:

Yoshi: The reason I started using him was back in Melee, when I decided I should start focusing on one or two characters instead of using random characters all the time. I decided to try Yoshi, because he's one of my favorite characters and I use him in every other game in which he's a playable character. So I figured, why not Smash as well? I started getting better with him, and I'd always beat my friends with him, and since he's such a strange character, I got a great sense of satisfaction whenever I win with this underestimated character. I used Yoshi and Falco in Melee, but when Brawl came out, only Yoshi made the transition. I kept maining him, eventually discovering the competitive scene and entering my first tournament and catching a few people off guard. So, here I am. ^.^

Secondary:

Ike: When the Dojo revealed him as a playable character in Brawl, I had recently became a fan of Path of Radiance (Ike's first video game appearence, for those that don't know), and I decided that, if nothing else, he was the first new character I was going to try when I got my hands on the game. When I first started, I was startled at how slow his playstyle was, but discovered how satisfying almost all of his attacks were when they landed. I kept using him, and found ways to get around his lack of speed; now, Yoshi and Ike together cover opposite ends of the Smash spectrum for me. Yoshi is my speedy character who enjoys stringing attacks together, complete with projectile and great grab game. Ike, on the other hand, is brimming with power and made almost entirely of KO moves.

Other characters have come and gone: Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Marth...the list goes on. They're fun for a little while, but I eventually get bored with them.
:005:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Main: Yoshi.

What can I say? He's my character of choice in any game he's in. He's like an old, loyal, and true friend to me, even if his performance in Melee and Brawl has been lackluster.

Other Main: Snake

The Metal Gear Series is my second favorite series of all time. The first being Yoshi's Island, of course. The first game I played was Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence 2 months before he was confirmed for Brawl and was really amazed at how excellent the game is. I eventually hunted down enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, MGS: The Twin Snakes, and Metal Gear Solid 4. It's an awesome alternative to the fantasy RPGs I usually play and is a breath of fresh air to me.
I like his movset in Brawl and the amount of projectiles he has control of in the game.
He can basically control the stage with his nades and stuff, and his tilts are very deadly.
Also, Snake covers almost all of Yoshi's bad matchups.

I'm not consistent on secondaries. I'm trying to find an anti-D3 character for one so I recently picked up Kirby.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
the first time that he was my main, had been in mario kart on the SNES
there´s no character which has more style than this green dragon^^
In smash he had been my main since the good old 64 times

Second: Sonic
i´m a sonic fan, that´s all^^

i don´t use yoshi and sonic because i can play them well, or because they are strong
i play them because i just like the characters themself^^

bigman40

Smash Master
Main: You know who it is :)

Started to truly main him after I got into competitive smash at about Aug 08. I had watched melee Yoshi vids and they interested me into trying to play Yoshi at a sick level. So since then, I've put in the work to get my Yoshi looking the best (not being selfish wise, just a dream). Feeling that dedication and hard work pay off makes me feel really good about myself (and it's sometimes not money-wise).

Secondaries: Raichu

I've been playing Raichu secretly since about December. I've mainly piked him to be my second because of the fact his style is somewhat like Yoshi's, and since he zones in nearly the same places Yoshi does. Although having less range and a little worse jab hurts me :( I still enjoy him alot.

bigman40

Smash Master
I don't mean from an aerial/grounded perspective. I mean from a close-range/mid-range/far-range perspective. It's very much of the same. Also, it's not exact zoning. I made that statement in my post.

Depster

Smash Champion
I mained Yoshi in Mario Kart 64 because he was my favorite character, and he just kind of stuck XD Somehow though, his metagame just goes perfectly with me. No clue why, but I just kinda fit with him.

I don't have any tourney viable seconds, but I like to use a lot of the higher tiers randomly, with the exception of Olimar since he's stupid.

Gindler

Smash Champion

I've mained him since 64 (back when I was like 6 and a dinosaur fan), and now I love his style and sounds he makes.

Secondary: Wario

Picked him up when my permadoublespartner wanted me to get a character with kill moves, and I wanted an aerial character like yoshi. Bam, wario.

Thirdary: Wolf

Best taunts in the game (if you add all 3 up from every character), sexy Bair, good air speed (right there with wario just not nearly as mobile) and a Dsmash of DOOM!

Forthary: Ness

His Fair, Spike and PKT2 mostly. Oh yeah and his amazing Bthrow.

Bwett

Smash Ace

One day, back when the game was super new and I mained Ike, I was 2 stocking a friend with him. I eventually got bored and started beating him with every other character. Eventually, I said, "I'll even beat you with Yoshi!" Then I saw how much fun he was lol.

Secondary: DDD

Probably one of the best secondaries for Yoshi, he takes care of Wolf and Marth, the hardest matchups for Yoshi

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hah! I knew Wolf was one of the hardest match-ups for Yoshi! =D

Yeah, whenever I can't beat Wolf in the first match I just go Zelda or Luigi. >.>

Gindler

Smash Champion
No wonder wolf's give me trouble. I thought it was just me. I usually go wolf on wolf (I like dittos as long as it isn't my main participating in them)

D

Deleted member

Green ace is 1-1 with the best wolf in the US.

Just saying.
Also, marth is easy sheet.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
I'm like a dual main, use Yoshi and Sheik
usually start w/ yoshi though

i think they complement each other alright, Sheik has ftiltlock against space animals and Yoshi is less susceptible to chain grabs

auroreon

Smash Ace
Main: YOSHI!
Reason: I posted this over on AiB a while ago 'for the lulz'...
Twas a cold december morn' when my total dedication to that adorable little dragon began, I was warm in my blanket with a hot drink and a SNES pad in my hand.
I'd been playing Super Mario World for many an hour, for I had taken it upon myself to clear all 96 exits in one sitting, with no guide. I was around 30 exits into the game when I began my search for the secret exit on Cheese Bridge Area.
I had mouted my trusty, noble steed whom I aquired from an egg i found small floating box marked with a question mark on the third level. We had been through much together, from flying turtles to giant bullets thats traveled slower than my run speed. And now as we daringly lept from psychotic saw to psychotic saw our bond was stronger than ever and our goal was clear.
But... as we made the final jump to the safety of a floating wooden platform, having searched high and low... we were no closer to the discovering the location of the elusive secret exit, and looming infront of us were the familiar goal posts signifying the end of the level.
It many a second before I slowly came to the realisation of the task set before us by the cruel, sick level designers...
for the location of the ever so secret exit was devilishly placed... BEHIND THE REGULAR EXIT! (Dun Dun DUUUUUUN!!)
I frantically searched my brain for an alternate method of reaching the goal, but it was hopeless, the only way past that exit was under it... and Mario doesn't jump that high.
By this time, the timer in the corner of the screen had only 2 digits... I knew what I had to do and I knew I had to act quickly. And so, my noble steed and I made one last leap towards infinity, together for the last time. As we reached the hieght of our jump, my finger was ready over the A button... with a tear in my eye, we parted.
As I rocketed towards the platform above, watching my friend plummet to his impending doom I felt a great sorrow in my soul, **** those level designers... **** them all. With mere seconds to spare, I crossed the goal posts, the bittersweet points started rolling into my score, the screen went dark and Mario strolled off into the distance.

Yoshi made the ultimate sacrifice for me that day, and forever I will repay that debt.
RIP my brave green friend.
XD

I also use G&W from time to time, but I'm not very good with him and I will only ever use Yoshi in tourneys. G&W is good for when I play doubles though...

.Marik

is a social misfit
Main: :yoshi:

I fell in love with his little scratchy voice when I watched the Super Mario World cartoons on YouTube. Played him in Melee, it stuck. When I played Brawl, he was my guy from day one.

When I tried to play Melee Yoshi again however, the physics and feel were just too different. I ended up going Falcon.

Samus: My secondary. I watched Xyro's videos "The Green Lesbian" on YouTube, and after I experimented with Samus, I found her to be too freaking fun. =D

Luigi: Old habits die hard. I mained him in Melee from 2001-2007, before picking up Yoshi. I disliked him at first, and didn't touch him for a while. After, nostalgia took hold and I picked Luigi as a secondary again. He's really boring to use at times, though.

Falcon: Looooool just a jokes character. He's so bad. ><

Falco: I needed some Top-Tier **** and stuff. I played Fox for a while, and I found Fox really fun to use, but it just wasn't adding up. I picked up Falco, and he ***** loool.

And there you have it.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Main: Peach/ Yoshi. I honestly use both equally right now.

This is because they are the two most fun characters in the game, it's quite simple. I used Yoshi in 64 and Peach in Melee, and I didn't expect to really use either this time around. Peach was just super fun despite being nerfed. I got into Yoshi trying out secondaries preparing for a low tier tournament. I use Ness but I wanted an answer for Pokemon trainer so I was testing about. When I used Yoshi some I instantly fell in love with the fun factor and playstyle of the character. I ended up going all Yoshi that low tier tourney.

Depending on the matchup either Yoshi or Peach is more fun lol. I prefer Yoshi against characters Peach has a tough time killing besides Snake. I prefer Peach against characters that make recovery annoying for Yoshi like ROB.

Secondaries:

Toon Link: He's way Toon fun. Also fun against campy players like Lucarios, where my Peach and Yoshi go through a tough battle defeating campy opponents I have no patience for, I just go Toon Link and outcamp them, requiring no patience necessary.

Bowser: He's way too freakin fun, and his power and survival skills are just awesome. Also kind of underrated, and much like Yoshi nobody knows the matchup.

Ness: SO fun and I'm a huge fan of Earthbound. For awhile he was my 2nd best character but Yoshi overtook that very recently. I use him 2nd most frequently in teams, after Peach.

I wish some of the better characters were fun but unfortunately they are all pretty boring, especially Snake. DDD is fun at first but it gets old using the same 2 moves for 5 hours in a row (back air and chain grab) I also tried Diddy for a couple of weeks but it was really boring too, I don't like how he feels or recovers.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord

I've been a fan of him since Super Mario World, probably one of if not the first video game I ever played, and I enjoyed using him in games like Mario Kart 64 (oh how much time I spent on that game alone). Brawl is the first time I actually felt comfortable using Yoshi in a Smash game, however, since that was the first time his playstyle really fit me.

Secondary: Diddy Kong

He was one of my favorite characters back in the day, and I was really happy to see him make it into Brawl. I enjoy his fast movement, quick attacks, the bananas (of course), and also, the faithfulness to the DKC games in terms of how he moves and whatnot. He's just really, really fun to play.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I main too many characters to and don't call them secondaries. I enjoy all the characters I pick because I like their games and the character it self. I main Kirby, Ice Climbers, Wario, Samus, Marth, Mario, and Yoshi because I love them all. ♥

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Main: YOSHI!
Reason: I posted this over on AiB a while ago 'for the lulz'...
It many a second before I slowly came to the realisation of the task set before us by the cruel, sick level designers...
for the location of the ever so secret exit was devilishly placed... BEHIND THE REGULAR EXIT! (Dun Dun DUUUUUUN!!)
I frantically searched my brain for an alternate method of reaching the goal, but it was hopeless, the only way past that exit was under it... and Mario doesn't jump that high.
By this time, the timer in the corner of the screen had only 2 digits... I knew what I had to do and I knew I had to act quickly. And so, my noble steed and I made one last leap towards infinity, together for the last time. As we reached the hieght of our jump, my finger was ready over the A button... with a tear in my eye, we parted.
As I rocketed towards the platform above, watching my friend plummet to his impending doom I felt a great sorrow in my soul, **** those level designers... **** them all. With mere seconds to spare, I crossed the goal posts, the bittersweet points started rolling into my score, the screen went dark and Mario strolled off into the distance.
XD

I also use G&W from time to time, but I'm not very good with him and I will only ever use Yoshi in tourneys. G&W is good for when I play doubles though...
Curses. That's how you're supposed to beat it? I always took a cape and flew over the saws then dive bombed under the goal and soared back up to the ground. I have never lost a Yoshi to that stage...

auroreon

Smash Ace
Curses. That's how you're supposed to beat it? I always took a cape and flew over the saws then dive bombed under the goal and soared back up to the ground. I have never lost a Yoshi to that stage...
I tried to fly over it with a cape on Yoshi a few times but because he can't fly with it we never made it over, lol. Tried flying under it too but you end up going straight into the normal goal... *sigh*

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Originally
XD

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'd forgotten that I had that bookmarked until you posted it. I should have done it first. >_<

And I actually do fly under that goal every time. One time I messed up on the flight after the dive bomb and I didn't gain the huge upwards boost so I was flying slowly. I didn't make it to the ground on time and passed under the secret goal, which activated, causing me to fall to my death. =[

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Main-Yoshi.

Here's why:

Yoshi has been my favorite Mario character ever since I first played Super Mario World when I was younger. Though I kept killing him on accident. Lol.

Secondaries.
Kirby(Cheez):

I once beat my brother (who has a pro Fox in Melee) with Kirby once day and did amazingly good with him. No matter how terrible he is. XD Plus, I like playing with "low-tiers" anyway.

Ness:
I didn't main Ness in Melee or N64. Pretty much the same thing applies with Ness as it did with Kirby. Except it wasn't Melee.

Fox:
One of my best characters in Melee. He's fun to use. One of the fastest in the game.
Always was just unstoppable in Melee. Lol. :p

Top Bottom