• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Interview Thread! Round 15 Voting is Here... Still!

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to ignore the fact that your interview is officially over and ask you if your name on Skype is actually your real name.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Did you ever find anything on that Japanese smash site?

What color Yoshi do you use?

Been to any tournaments lately?

How's Life?

Why so silent?

Favorite Yoshi to watch?

Thoughts on Down B teching?

Going to Apex 2012?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
What is your avatar?

How's Scott doing?

When do you think you'll be attending another event?

Have you ever played an instrument?

Are you sad that we're forcing you to post?

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
If I were a Silent Beast, I would wait until the last day of the interview and answer all the questions in just one post.

That way, I don't waste more than a single post. Any questions made after such post could be edited into that post.

But I'm not the Silent Beast.

Anyway enough about me.

What do you think about that strategy, Silent Beast?

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Did you ever find anything on that Japanese smash site?
Well, no. Thing is, I never looked through their thread as extensively as I originally intended to, because, despite using Japanese in my house my whole life, my Japanese is still not remotely as good as my English is, so it can still take a decent amount of time to figure out what someone's post is saying if I don't really understand a sentence. Sorry :urg: Most of what I did in that thread was relaying full frame data and the hitbox pictures to them. With work and whatnot, I haven't had so much time to spend there, and most of the time I did spend there was to help out with SRT stuff.

What color Yoshi do you use?

Been to any tournaments lately?
Not really. Last tourney I went to was Prototype 2 back in December, which included such personal highlights as beating a no-name Samus and getting 3-stocked by Delta's Olimar in draft crews. I think the last tourney I'd been to before that was the KOTC that took place the week after APEX, when 3 of the Japanese players were still around, which was all the way back in August.

How's Life?
Pretty good. I work M-F in an analytical chem lab that tests consumer products like toys, jewelry, and clothing to make sure they don't have fun stuff in them, like heavy metals. I've been doing both sample prep, which is the actual cutting up of the samples we receive, and digestion, which involves dissolving the prepped samples in acid and filtering them so they can be analyzed in the instruments. We've been pretty busy lately, so it's been pretty normal for me to work from 8am to 8, 9, even 10:00 pm. I don't think I've actually gotten out on-time in the past month. Getting paid for overtime's nice, though. Otherwise just hanging out with people on the weekends.

Why so silent?
Eh, just always been pretty quiet. Generally don't have much to say. This is the case both online and in real life. Actually, of the two accounts that I have on internet forums, here and on another site, I post way more on this one, though I lurk both daily.

Favorite Yoshi to watch?
I really haven't watched very many videos recently, so I can't really comment on current Yoshis. Back in the day, I liked watching Bwett a lot.

Thoughts on Down B teching?
Ah, perfect. So I've been wondering, what exactly is Down B teching?

Going to Apex 2012?
Uh, probably. It's really too big and too easy for me to get to, so unless I'm really really busy that weekend, I should be there. I'll probably decide last minute to commute down to it like I did for the last one, assuming that the next one will be in the same venue, or in one in the same general area as the last one. Yoshis should go though, if they have the money available. If the proposed Yoshi room actually happens, whether in a hotel or at Delta's house, I'd have to stop by. The last APEX was amazing, but Delta, Sharky, and I were the only Yoshis. Also, I regret not getting a chance to take Sharky to the Grease Trucks. I remember after not eating the entire last day of the tournament, I went to the Grease Trucks after the tourney and got a Fat B*tch. AHADFXVSDSDFOA IT WAS DELICIOUS. Best fat sandwich I ever had.

What is your avatar?
The avatar is the logo for the Lake Elsinore Storm, a Single-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres (formerly of the Angels). I first got one of their caps for my birthday in 2000, and after wearing it on and off for a few years, I began wearing it every day starting part of the way through sophomore year of HS, and continued wearing it daily all the way through college. I've been wearing it less often since I've graduated though, since you can't really wear hats to most jobs. I'm currently on my fourth such cap, with one or two others waiting in reserve; the others were retired due to excessive sun/sweat exposure (i.e. they were discolored and smelled) and, in the case of the first two, the adjustable band in the back breaking.

How's Scott doing?
I last saw him 3(?) weekends ago. He's alive and well. He lives up in Sussex County, and he doesn't seem interested in driving an hour-plus he'd need to to get to most tourneys around here, so I'm not sure when he'll be at another one.

When do you think you'll be attending another event?
I don't know. Generally, for me to get to a tourney, I have to be free that Saturday, and it has to be pretty close. When I was still in college, I was always free on Saturdays, but since neither I nor Scott had cars on campus, we didn't really go to many tourneys, save for some of the VCs, which we could take trains to, and KTAR, which was right by Rutgers so we could just hitch a quick ride. After graduating and getting a job, weekends are considerably more important for social life, since M-F is filled up with work. So it's harder to find a Saturday that I'll be free, or to make time for a tourney on a Saturday. I'll pretty much only try to make time if the tourney's close. Of the 5 tournies that I've driven to, it took me under 20 minutes to get to 4 of them. The last one was APEX, which was a special case, and still took me only an hour, which is really short for an (inter)national tourney.

I guess if you're looking for a specific event, there's a good chance that the next tourney I'll attend will be in Bergen County.

Have you ever played an instrument?
Yes. There was the compulsory recorder-playing in 3rd grade, which doesn't really count, since it was compulsory, and I played trumpet from 4th grade through senior year of HS. I don't believe I've opened the case since the spring concert of senior year, which is now approaching 5 years ago.

Are you sad that we're forcing you to post?
Not really. I lost around 1/4 of my posts when the Yoshi boards were cleaned out, so I feel like my post count is too low because it's artificially deflated. I'm also kind of curious to see what questions will be asked.

If I were a Silent Beast, I would wait until the last day of the interview and answer all the questions in just one post.

That way, I don't waste more than a single post. Any questions made after such post could be edited into that post.

But I'm not the Silent Beast.

Anyway enough about me.

What do you think about that strategy, Silent Beast?
Going beyond my response to Delta's last question, leaving all the questions until the very last day wouldn't really let people ask any follow-up questions that they might have, which would also probably discourage people from asking questions.

I could, conceivably, just update this one post to keep my post count as low as possible, but that would be annoying for other people to keep having to check back to this one post to see if I added any answers. It would, though, make it easier for Airborne to archive my interview.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
What was your rooming like in college? Are freshman dorms as terrible as I think they are?

I know you already sorta answered this, but what kind of stuff do you do at work? Do you enjoy it?

What was your major?

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
What was your rooming like in college? Are freshman dorms as terrible as I think they are?
Dorms were fun. My freshman dorm was fine; I stayed in the same dorm freshman/sophomore year (admittedly, this was the honors dorm, so it wasn't exactly a freshman dorm, though it almost exclusively housed freshmen/sophomores). Most of my group of friends I made in college stemmed from people who lived on my floor that year.

I actually had progressively better rooms throughout college. Freshman year, I had one of the small rooms in my dorm at the end of the hallway; sophomore year, I had a normal room; junior year, I was in a different dorm that had much larger rooms (probably about about 50% bigger); senior year, I was in an apartment.

I know you already sorta answered this, but what kind of stuff do you do at work? Do you enjoy it?
At work, sample prep would involve cutting up individual components of whatever our sample is into small pieces and weighing them so they can be dissolved in acid. Some samples also have coatings, which would need to be scraped off with a razor and tested. For instance, if we were testing a GC controller, we'd end up testing 15 different components:

1. the main body/main plastic piece on plug (they're made of the same material, so they go together)
2. control stick
3. D-pad
4. C-stick
5. Start button
6. A button
7. B button
8. X/Y button (these are clearly made of the same material, so they go together)
9. Z button
10. L/R triggers (go together like X/Y)
11. cord
12. metal part of plug
13. black plastic end of plug
14. screws
15. silver coating that reads "NINTENDO GAMECUBE"

Sample prep can get pretty tedious, and a lot of the people that do it can't stand it, but, eh, I don't usually find it so bad.

Digestion involves the aformentioned dissolving samples in acid using either a hot plate or a microwave, and then filtering the final solution and diluting it to a certain volume so it can be analyzed with the instruments. Different types of materials (plastics, metals, coatings) get different acids and reagents added to them. I've mostly just been doing filtration (which is also pretty repetitive, like sample prep, but it's fine), and acting as an alternate for running the hot plate or the microwave. Digestion's generally more interesting than sample prep, since it involves actual chemistry, though it can get pretty hectic running multiple tests at once.

What was your major?
Chem.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Im pretty upset about the lack of Silent Beast Questions. WE CAN FORCE HIM TO SAY STUFF GUYS WTF.

Favorite Movie?
Favorite T.V Show?
Is there a Ms. Silent Beast?
Did you change your major at all or was it always Chem?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Have you ever played a sport?

Are you at all athletically inclined?

Favorite food?

Favorite Subway sub?

Best fastfood place? Explain in GREAT DETAIL (so I may debate this later :awesome:).

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Peanut butter and Jile?
The best. Of course.

Why so beastly?
Being quiet seems to make people think you're beastly. Back in high school, my friends used to like to complain about our US History teacher who would make us do these presidential outlines. Basically, every weekend, we'd have to do an outline on a president, covering his domestic/foreign accomplishments, election campaigns, legacy, and whatnot, and then rate him. It was extremely time-consuming and we hated him for it (though it, admittedly, prepared us very well for the AP test). In any case, they used to like to come up with scenarios where they'd tell him off, because they never actually would. In one such scenario, I was asked to come along and convey my "silent beastliness," as my support would apparently signal the legitimacy of their complaints or something. And such is the origin of my name, which isn't really the question that was asked.

Do you still practice this game?
Not really. I don't really have much time to play, and don't see people very often that do play. I would like to go back to just practicing DR for like 5-10 min a day, which I did the week before Prototype 2, which let me get it down reasonably well for use in friendlies at the tourney. I could see myself doing that after I finish Galaxy.

Do you play other games much at all?
Until I bought a Wii around September of last year, I didn't have a single current gen system, including handhelds, so I had gotten one new game in like the previous three years, which was the 7-year-old Metroid Prime I bought last summer. In college, most of my pre-Brawl video gaming consisted of Soul Calibur II, with Melee and Age of Empires II thrown in there. After Brawl, it was mostly Brawl, plus some Soul Calibur (II and IV), AoE, and Freelancer. I did get the aforementioned Mario Galaxy 2 a month or so ago. I beat Bowser and I'm at ~110 stars or so. In terms of games I expect to play in the future, I guess I'll play Metroid Prime 3 at some point, and there's Skyward Sword.

Im pretty upset about the lack of Silent Beast Questions. WE CAN FORCE HIM TO SAY STUFF GUYS WTF.

Favorite Movie?
Probably LOTR (with the obligatory "but the books are better"). Most of the Ghibli movies are also very good, with Grave of the Fireflies and Totoro (the latter largely for nostalgic reasons) being my favorites. Off the top of my head, Howl's Moving Castle was the only one I didn't really like. I guess the Cat Returns was also rather meh.

Favorite T.V Show?
The Simpsons, though I haven't really watched it in a number of years. I don't really watch much TV anymore, except to watch baseball and football.

Is there a Ms. Silent Beast?
Yes. She's short and unsilent.

Did you change your major at all or was it always Chem?
Always chem.

Have you ever played a sport?
Not past middle school. I played Little League, rec basketball, and rec soccer. Never was any good in any of them, except two fluke years I had playing Little League; the first was in 3rd grade, when, as a pitcher, I actually could throw strikes, which the hitters couldn't hit, so I ended up giving 0 runs over 10 innings pitched, with 28 Ks, doing nothing but lobbing the ball; the second was a couple years later, when I had a really good batting eye, and could hit the ball if it came over the plate, so I slid up to the 2nd spot in the order.

Are you at all athletically inclined?
As previously mentioned, no, not really. The limits of my athletic ability are maybe playing pickup basketball poorly or throwing a baseball around.
Favorite food?
Probably ikura, which is salmon roe. Other contenders include bacon, raw tuna, fries, Japanese curry, and natto.

Favorite Subway sub?
Come on. CBR.

Best fastfood place? Explain in GREAT DETAIL (so I may debate this later :awesome:).
Five Guys. I've been going there once a week for lunch as of late with a few co-workers. I usually get a bacon burger (sometimes with cheese) with lettuce, tomato, ketchup and jalapenos, and we usually split Cajun fries, though I end up eating a majority of them.

Are you a silent beast?
Seems so.

Does Airborne ending your hotseat make you wanna do bad stuff to him?
Eh, Mr. Reborne is pretty alright.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Exactly, now go post 22 more times so we can baw at your epic

Top Bottom