• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yeah the wavedashing stuff gets old but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I'm 18, 10 days till' I'm 19 :) (Prime Corruption for my birthday....yummie....)

- I rarely use wavedashing and agree with some others, it wasn't meant to be in the game...
- Anyways, I can master it if I took the time, but I'd rather stick with all other advanced techniques, like L-cancelling, shffling and DI.
- I only use it when I feel it's the right thing to do, I play Captain Falcon much so I don't need that much wavedashing, dashdancing and aerial game are good enough for me, but sometimes I wavedash in a F-smash, but you won't see it coming by every game.
- I think wavedashing isn't neccessary in your game, it helps with mindgames a bit, but dashdancing and shorthopping will do the trick too.
- Items are fun, but when you're seriously playing the game for training/competition, they're a bunch of bullsh*t. Ever had a Bomb-omb randomly appear RIGHT in front of you when you're charging a smash..?

Eaode

Smash Champion
I'm 15, use ALL advanced techniques, and am pretty much at the point where tech isn't an issue anymore. Of Course, I want all the advanced techniques from Melee to return to Brawl, and then some. There are a FEW things I may want changed for balanced, such as toning down chain throwing etc., but I want the competitive side of Smash intact completely.

I never use items, adds to much luck to the game, I just don't like playing with them, they take focus off of the other more important aspect of fighting IMO. Of course I will use items in Brawl when it first comes out because they're new and awesome, but after that wears off, they'll probably go off most of the time, maybe back on occasionally because they look to be that cool.

So yeah. 15, advanced tech user, no items player.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919

I play mainly with Roy and Pikachu, tiers be ****ed.

I can only wavedash with Luigi and such, I can't use it effectively with Roy and Pika so I don't bother.

I don't give a **** whether or not Wavedashing is in Brawl, because it's not the lone technique that decides a victory. And I LAWL at those who do. I can't play tourney level but I'm fortunate to be surrounded by friends roughly equal to me in my skill level.

I like items, but I don't play with them on frequently unless I like maximizing chaos (e.g. YOU WANNA GO? 99 STOCK! POKEBALLS ONLY! MUTE CITY!)

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
I'm 19, I use them because they are the next logical step in making me a better player. Regardless, I won't get better just because of them. I know that I have to work on mindgames and exacuting combos before I will truly improve (I play CF). On top of that Wavedashing looks silly so it's fun to do!

I don't play with items, except for the seldom black hole glitch party. The exploding barrels and capsules remove all skill from the game. If those were gone from Brawl I personally wouldn't mind if some items were turned on for competitive Brawl (not the unfair ones e.g. hammer).

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
22, no items, adv techs.

if its in the game use it. "cheap" or "unnatural" are excuses to avoid skillful play.

"Cheap"

if its in the game use it. if not, learn to beat it. if you cant, dont complain about losing to it.

because your chosing to lose.

"Unnatural"
dosent matter how it looks, or if the developers "meant" for you to play a certian way. would you hate on someone for doing an "ugly"or "glitchy" combo if it was their most damaging? if so then your a casual player, and not about getting better/having more fun as a gamer.

required playing to win link: read and learn

http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
So... so far, I'm not detecting any discernable pattern in these data. What was the TC hoping to find, I wonder?

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I'm 20. Don't use items. I play with Marth, Sheik, Samus, and Dr. Mario. I wavedash because I find it fun and because it's pretty **** helpful. I also use all of the other advanced techs. I SHFFL, JC grabs, MC with Samus, and all that other good stuff. I like to play flashy no matter who I play with because it's more fun than just playing to win (although I can win by being flashy too).

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
I just turned 17
Use adv techs/no items unless im fooling aound
Im a Marth/Fox player so of course i use wavedash

Tyr_God_of_war

Smash Cadet
I am 14.

I can beat a lot of my friends with Pichu. I use link for some of it. It depends on who I'm playing.

I can wavedash but find it distracts me from fighting. Also I can beat most people I play against without it. I am learning to L-cancel.

I use I tems on low they are fun

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I'm 16 I'll be turning 17 in two months (was going to have Brawl at my party, WAH!)

I can wavedash though I only use it with Pika for edgehogging. I also play as Luig & G&W, and use it profusely with them. I've recently (like, last night) started training myself to waveland. I can't shffl, I just can't go fast enough. I love ledgehopping, dash-smashes, shield-smashes, & jc grabs. I sweetspot, l-cancel, & tech most of the time. I think DI and edge guarding is just common sense. I have no idea how to mindgames.

I play casual and competitive. I've never been to a tourney (I would fail miserably), but am often best of my friends, which is all that matters. I have played at church or school, and been apalled by the n00bs. With friends, I usaually play one of three ways:
Competitive: Only tourney-legal stages, no items, four stock, 8 minutes, friendly fire on (if applicable), 2 players/teams. We use this to find out who's best, and how. Or when there's just two of us. Or when we want to.
Casual: Any stage ('cept Icicle Mountain) chosen by loser of last match, items on medium, five stock, four players. We use this when we have more people. Or when we want to. Usually end up with a casual/competitive ratio of 50/50.
Super-casual: I'm the only one who likes this type. Random characters, random stage, items on medium, Bonus mode, 5 minutes, four players. We play this when we have a new person who doesn't know how to play (he gets to choose his character). Or when we want to (which they never do...).

I am for wavedashing in Brawl, just so Nintendo can show they're cool, too. I don't like the way Nintendo likes to deny "mistakes" ever happened. I was really upset when Missingno wasn't in Fire Red/Leaf Green. If Bungie made Smash, they would have found wavedashing before Melee came out, realized its uses, and made easter eggs only accessible by using it. Why can't Nintendo do that?
Really though, if wavedashing is out (or even in), we're still going to find other neat tricks.
Plus, it's freaking hilarious with Luigi.

This thread is full of johns
True.

My age is of no relevance, I play advanced format smash.

In my opinion, those who use it an not try to perfect it usually don't support the technique. When I first learned to Wavedash and L-cancel, my game was bad. But after constant practice with actual opponents, my game became very well maintained. In theory, a majority of players who 'choose not' to wavedash simply can't figure out ways of implementing it. Playing against experianced players and learning priority is just as important as an advanced technique is.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm willing to bet you're one of those 11 year old kids on Xbox Live that plays every multiplayer match using a cheap glitch and says "well, it's in the game, so it's allowed" or "you can do it too"
Learn to read, I said I'm 16. Look at my location, I don't have a Xbox. And we aren't talking about ch33p glitches here buddy. Nice failed attempt at a comeback.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
In my opinion, those who use it an not try to perfect it usually don't support the technique. When I first learned to Wavedash and L-cancel, my game was bad. But after constant practice with actual opponents, my game became very well maintained. In theory, a majority of players who 'choose not' to wavedash simply can't figure out ways of implementing it. Playing against experianced players and learning priority is just as important as an advanced technique is.
This is exactly right. I got my *** handed to me hard when I first started playing with advanced techs. It took a while to get used to them, but now that I can use them without even thinking about it, my friends rarely beat me.

You have to give up short term wins for long term *** kicking.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Anyone who plays a game and abuses glitches using the "it's in the game, it's allowed" excuse should play World of Warcraft for a week and watch how Blizzard handles exploits and exploiters.
I kind of agree. I sorta hope it's out of Brawl so it can level the playing field XD

Salaad

Smash Ace
I'm 15, turning 16 in 4 days.

I love to Wavedash, and to me it doesn't look like any "unnatural" movement because it's just sliding. I use other Adv. Techs as well..I like to play with a couple of my friends with no items because it puts too much luck into the game. Plus, if I win, my friend can't say "YOU GOT LUCKY!!!1" :)

WD in brawl FTW.

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
I'm 19, and I don't wavedash. To me, it takes away from how the game is SUPPOSED to be played. I am a hardcore Smash player, but I don't like competitions. I play purely for fun, with all the items on every stage! I play as every character as well, even the low tier ones. Sure, I can wavedash if I wanted too, but for me it's just not fun. Like I said, I doubt wavedashing was what the designers had in mind when they made the game.

I don't care if they take it out of Brawl or not (although selfishly, I wish they did). If it still remains, then I just won't use it, plain and simple. However, for the people that like it, sure, do whatever you want.

:034:

Smash Hero
16 years old. Trying to incorporate Wavedashing and SHFFL'ing in my playing style. Slowly, I'm getting better at it, making wavedashing and SHFFL come naturally. I don't play with items because I prefer the head-to-head battle.

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm 16 and I've been playing Smash since it first came out. For about four to maybe five years I hadn't known about advanced techs honing my skills based on what was the best set in the game itself. At about late 2005 early 2006 I heard about them however, didn't really practice them much and continued on my normal route of no l-canceling and the like for awhile.

At about Spring of 2006 though, I began to L-Cancel and my friend(s) didn't know what that was or why I was kicking *** with it. About some months later they found that out and started to use it (more like learned about it during the summer) then comes late 2006 where I'm pretty **** good. However, my friend continues to wonder how I tech off the walls in Hyrule (basic advanced tech in the first one smarts! The only advanced tech I actually knew about when I got the game).

Eventually, I began to meet more people that liked Smash (due to my entrance into High School) people better than me who I didn't even know of. They seemed pro so I played them and quickly began to get even better. I started to L-Cancel more, shffl more, as well as Short Hop. Comes early 2007 and I own. I've beaten a lot of people numerous times until... I came across four people that are my skill level and are a bit higher than me. They wavedash (effectively), L-Cancel, Shffl, Shield Grab, Short Hop, you name it. I've yet to beat two of them to this day (but I'm better than the other two).

I'm pretty **** even in speed with one of them (and it's the guy who I said was one of the two people I can't beat). Despite that though, we have matches of epicness in our fights due to how serious I am. I'm a Falco main who uses these characters as well: Shiek, Fox, C. Falcon, Mario, Link, Y. Link, Pikachu, Samus, Peach, Ganondorf (although not too good with him), DK, Luigi, ICs (not often), and... Jigglypuff (I own with her for some odd reason).

And here I am now, using as many advance techs as I can. I know how to WD but can't use it effectively with some characters. The only two I can use it effectively with are Marth and Luigi. I don't get to practice it much in battle because my brother hates adv. techs.

I'll put items on if my opponent wants them on, I usually put it on Low and keep healing items off. If they're on, I will just throw them at you so you can't use them. Also, I usually opt to have them off in matches and I try to go onto stages that are different and fun (not just FD and HT). The only stages I hate are: Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle Past Stage, Flat Zone, Infinite Glacier, Planet Zebes, and Poke Floats (although it's not that bad). I'll play on every other stage otherwise.

I'm a challenge so look out for me on SSBB, I will be perfecting my mains. Also... beware of my evil strategies! >=D

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
I'm 13 (I turn 14 on February 10th! That's the day Brawl comes out!!!!!!) anyway, i can ShFF and waveland but wavedashing doesn't seem to help me that much. It's not that i can't do it, its just the fact that it doesn't help as much

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
I know Wavedashing, Wavelanding, L-Cancelling, Shffling, the works, but I rarely use them, and I wouldnt need them to be good in brawl.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
_____ Man, I get grouped with the scrubs for age :(

I use wavedash when it benefits me, with no regard to how my opponent feels about how I play. I use no items; for fairness reasons.

Im 13, but Ive been wavedashing since 12.

Edit: forgot to add, I use all the advanced techiniques, although they need a little work, the waveshine to usmash should be perfected soon.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
5/f/cali

I never give my real age, haha!

I stand by my "If they're happy with it, let them be." position.

I neither hate nor like wavedashing. I tried it a bunch with Ness once, but it just didn't feel like the thing to do... though I still find myself twitching on occasion.

I'm pretty sure everyone L-Cancels... even us Casuals.

Shffling? I never really stick the l on, but... I've only really ever used it as Ness.

I play with items.

Why?

I enjoy items. (And explosions)

Pokeball? I toss, Ho-Oh comes out. Awesome! Later, I get another Pokeball, throw it... Goldeen. I get hit in the face and scream "CURSE YOU GOLDEEN" while making my way back to the platform. Mines, Bob-Ombs, Super Scope, Green Shell, Starman... all of them add to the hectic craziness of a match. Items at Very high, Pokeballs only on Flat Zone? SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN!

(I also refuse to make a brief statement here.)
Ok, please don't double post, sometimes it WILL merge my posts when I quote -.-

Anyways, not stating your age kinda defeats the purpose of this thread.. to molest childr....... to umm, learn.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Im 15...I am able to do every advanced technique...but Im learning how to wavedash...well...I know how to but I dont have it down enough to use it in a fight...

since Im probably the only frikin Smash player in South America(Southern Florida...w/e) I rarely come across people who are good at Smash...so I dont know how Ill do against a human opponent...and I train with Lv.9's (which Ive heard is bad...but what else can I do? Its either Lv.9's or not play at all...)

I dont play with items usually...but occasionally I put some of them on for the craziness factor...but everytime I play with a friend its a no-item match....

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
wow, im highly highly surprised at how many people dont wavedash, its crazy, i thought at this point it was so easy to do that all the nubs should have caught on by now. "wavedashing isnt fun" WHAT?!?! hell yeah it is, being able to move around the screen twice as fast and using that movement to force your opponent into your mindgames is the best feeling smash. anyways, i'm 19 years old, and i use everything. but i have been playing with advanced techs for 2 and a half years now, so if i DIDNT use everything, i would be a bit scared...peace

-hiroshi

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm twenty-one. I use advanced techniques. I went to tournaments when I had the time and the money.

Wow.

This forum does not need another "OMG, advanced tactic X should be excluded from Brawl" topic.

Smooth Criminal

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Lol phloat you tell him not to double post and then you do.

you read my post wrong...

I was saying that I wanted to quote someone, and last time I did that it merged my post. I wasn't correcting silly, I was talking to smashboards -_-

Sprigginz_Caldo

Smash Apprentice
I am 16. I wavedash along with other advanced techniques. I do not play with items, and I play on only tournament legal stages.

My sister is 19, but she does not wavedash, she does not play with items, and she only plays on tournament legal stages.

I go to minor tournaments

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
I be 17, i do WD, but not perfected it, still pretty good imo, i know some other advanced tactics, but for example SHFFLs no lol, never botheres on working on L-cancelling, thus when i play as bowser somehow i use it almost always, by instinct, i dont really play with items, but ocasionally i do, for fun. humm, i main Falcon and Marth, i guess thats it.

Salaad

Smash Ace
wow, im highly highly surprised at how many people dont wavedash, its crazy, i thought at this point it was so easy to do that all the nubs should have caught on by now. "wavedashing isnt fun" WHAT?!?! hell yeah it is, being able to move around the screen twice as fast and using that movement to force your opponent into your mindgames is the best feeling smash. anyways, i'm 19 years old, and i use everything. but i have been playing with advanced techs for 2 and a half years now, so if i DIDNT use everything, i would be a bit scared...peace

-hiroshi
Lol, it's Brawl boards so most people I suspect don't WD.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Hello, I am NES n00b and I am an alcholoic a wavedasher.

I wavedash to school, to parties, to smash fests and tournies, and I even wavedash in the game. :o

I hated items ever since the second week of Melee just because they were either annoying or boring (depended on what appeared for the matches).

My age is 19. . . . . .woooh I am the roxxorz at this game because I canz wavedashez my opponent to death.

Edit: Other advance techs are for *******. . . . . .<_<

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
This sounds like a good idea, but there are a few things you may or may not have forgotten about (I'm going to point them out anyways):

There are always outliers, as in people who are outside the general curve.

The mental/physical age of a person might not match their actual age.

A person might like/dislike wavedashing (and other stuff) for a logical reason, and this could occur in any age young or old.

Age might not be the determining factor here. The problem might be misinformation/misinterpretation of one or both parties involved.

There are always exceptions.

There might be people who love ad-techs, but are too lazy to practice them.

There might be people who hate ad-techs, but use them because they believe it's the only way to compete.

People might lie or give incomplete information.

I'll just stop the list here.

I'm 18, and I use advanced techs. I think they aren't cheap. In fact, I believe they are necessary for Super Smash Bros. SHFFLing, WDing, wall/floor/ceiling techs, DIing, and all the others are no different than all the other advanced techs and shortcuts in other fighting games. Those other games have advanced techniques as a way to improve your character past normal limits. If it weren't for things like this, everyone would know how to defeat any character and know their every strength and weakness, their limits, and what to guard against. Advanced techs like SHFFL'ing and wavedashing solve this by giving players a way to improve their characters, playing styles, and overall skill level. They're not required, and in fact there are several people who play at top pro levels without them, but they are a good way to break up the monotony, even out the flaws in each character, nullify the overpowered-ness of others, and allow people to get insanely good at a game when they otherwise wouldn't be able to. AT's take incredible precision, and only someone with absurd reflexes and mind-bendingly steady hands can pull them off 99.99% of the time (and yes, even the best still make mistakes).

As a final note, WD isn't an end-all, I win every time I do this technique. The only thing WD allows you to do is move forward or back without dodging. That means you don't get the benefit of the invincibility frames that dodging gives you, contrary to popular belief. It can only move in two directions (forward and back), you're still vulnerable to attacks, you can't wavedash up in the air, you can only attack about halfway through a wavedash (something to do with the landing animation frames... characters with longer WD's have a longer sliding distance, but the lag time at the start is about the same as everyone else's), and a slow attack out of a WD is still a slow attack, but in a different position. All in all, the only two benefits gained from wavedashing are a higher mobility and a rather sizable intimidation factor. People think that you have to respond to someone when they WD, which psyches them out and causes them to make mistakes which lead to defeat (the primary one being 'moving'). The truth is, you don't have to respond. In fact, it's probably better if you just sit there and let them get in range of your longest attack, because they aren't invincible while WD'ing. I can't begin to count how many times I've faced someone who thought wavedashing made them unbeatable, only to watch them slide in range of Marth's F-smash and get KO'd at 39%. Also, since WDing can only move laterally and doesn't offer invincibility frames, I've seen people deal a lot of damage with high-speed projectiles like Fox's laserrs, Falco's blaster, Samus's missles and charge beam, and even Pikachu's thunder jolt (the bounciness and terrain following properties make it rather hard to WD away from).

However, this doesn't apply to truely skilled players. At the most, it'll make them change tactics (flexibility being a fundamental part of skill). Then again, if the player was that good in the first place they'd probably beat you even if WD'ing didn't exist. But that's why they're the best, huh? =P

All in all, wavedashing is certainly not all powerful or an instant win condition, but a good player can put it to use. That's why it's still around.

The above rant is my personal opinion. Feel free to disagree if you want.

hit0

Smash Journeyman
I'm 18, I play competitively, I exploit every possible aspect of the game that I can.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
I'm almost 17 and I don't really wavedash (just for edge). I'm okay with any style of play even if it's repeated attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom