• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yay for probably old, but worth mentioning thing.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
The only reason I'm bothering to post this, is because I've never seen it mentioned here: the fact you can move forward a tad during a standing Fsmash.

1) Have C-stick on Smash Attack

2) Tap forward on the Control stick, then quickly tap Forward on the C-stick

3) Tada. You've moved forward while pulling the sword back behind your head. I've gotten as far as bring Ike's back foot up to where his front foot was before you tapped the control stick. If you go any farther, you'll do a dash attack. If you accidently tilt upwards a bit, you'll do a Hyphen Smash. By the time you see smoke on the ground from running, you should have already hit the c-stick forward for max distance.

4) You an also do this in the backwards direction, but not nearly as far. Same idea, only moving the Ctick the opposite direction of your opponent, then hitting the C-stick in the direction of the opponent. I've only gotten about a foot's width back, but it's easier to do: you won't do a dash attack or a hyphen smash instead.

Yes, I know this has like, a 95% chance of being old. But like I said, I've never seen it around here, and I haven't seen it in vids. Probably for a good reason, like the fact most Ike users have the C-stick on Tilt. >_>

And, to make this topic not 100% worthless........what is the best way for me to train? Computers are lol, nobody good lives near me that I know of, and at my new house, online plays in constant 1/2 speed....good for a laugh, not for training. I want to be at least half-decent when I get to my first real tournament, but I don't see how I can practice much.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Meh, I never heard about it before... Sounds partly useful... xD

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
>_>

<_<

W00T! I've found a way to extent Ike's Fsmash range by about one character's width max that at least someone doesn't know about, but almost nobody will do because most smart Ike Mainers use C-Tilt instead of C-Smash!

Now that I think about it, it's kinda like what Sonic can do.......just done differently without hitting the c-stick backwards.....and we can move backwards as well....so it's not quite Stutter Stepping.....Light Stepping?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
This may make Cstick Smash a viable option now. With this, you can do this Light Step (Or whatever you choose to call it), Smash DI, and I tested that the Step Draw works with Cstick Smash but not tilts.

Edit: Seeing as how I beat a Lv 9 CPU Ike using only this and accidental dash attacks, I must admit that this is not an acceptable way to train. Watch videos, try techniques then go to a tourney and play friendlies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yes, Light Stepping, as Stutter Stepping is (as far as I have seen) only in one direction, but has more distance possible to it, along with a different input sequence.

And I know computers are worthless for anything other then the occasional dodging training. Even then, it's iffy at best. As for tournaments: I don't have a job. Being a Non-American, Non-Immigrant in Texas during an economic depression makes getting a job a lot harder....I am watching what videos I can, and practicing basic stuff in training mode, like crouch canceling, and finding odd things like Light Stepping. For example: Ike almost has a deathgrab on Charizard. He can regrab him, as he doesn't fly upwards, and doesn't move back far enough when he pummels him, but Charizard can duck just in time to avoid the next grab, and no longer sticks out far enough to be grabbed again.

EDIT: Crap. I was afraid of something like that....I played 64, but only a few times, and not competitively. And I used Samus AKA: B spamming the first few times, the last few times I played I actually did some basic combos.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I knew about the shutter step but Ike's fsmash is not really something to space, its to mind game. Only time you ever space a fsmash is when you walk up to someone charging a smash that you can outrange. So unless you mind gaming the shutter step eh w/e

I use smash stick to smash DI i might go back to tilt stick though.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Isn't this like stutter stepping?

As for practicing, look harder for somebody to play with. You can find good people where you live when you least expect it.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This is a variation of the stutter F-Smash. Marth does this as well.

The stutter F-Smash is when you move the C-stick forward while pushing the control stick back. For some characters, namely Mario and Captain Falcon, the range of their F-Smash gets a big boost because they're moving forward as well. This is completely dependent on their animation of the F-Smash, which is why it doesn't work well with Ike.

This variation is essentially just moving forward then canceling your dash. Another mindgame tactic. F-Smash is way too slow to ever be considered as a well-placed tactic.

As for your practicing, use online (no lag johns please) to get familiar with the large number of playstyles out there, then try to find people to play with IRL. If you have absolutely no one to play with, then CPUs will have to do. Set them to level 1-3 and practice your playstyle while taking as little damage as possible. You should not just be mauling the CPU because that actually weakens your skills.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Meh, the only reason I thought it wouldn't be Stutter Step was the moving backwards aspect. Still, I'd rather have at least a tiny bit of control over something with that much lag. >_> I'll probably use it a bit when I use my C-Smash set up.

And it is hard to get familiar with playing styles when you play at 1/2 speed. I'm not exaggerating. I am actually playing around that slow at a constant, steady rate, so most people won't play against me.

I'll think about the low level CPU thing as well.

As for people around me: Everyone in my area is a Xbox360 fanboy basically. I know of only a few people last year that owned a Wii, and most of them were sent to a different school when the boundary lines were shifted. Only know this much because there was a Brawl tournament in school. Items and any stage unfortuently. My first match was a FFA on 75m, as it was chosen randomly, and the last guy hit me just off of the edge. >_>

Top Bottom