• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yasumicon 2009 @ FIU - Miami, FL - July 11- Brawl - See Results Thread!

DFEAR

Smash Hero
o.o hmmm. i couldnt find the post but how many pools will there be and how will it be organized? random i assume?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
If k = 1, then what' the point of having k in there? *smart-aleck* :p

Also, is it possible for you to have a small smashfest at FIU on Friday?

:069:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Okay, 8 bit, let me ask you something:

If k is a known variable, then why say k when you can say 1? And if the variable is 1 in a multiplication sentence, then why is it even there?? Is it to make it seem cooler? It's the same as going (5kn(b-1)) - q/TV where q equals zero. Pointless.

Second, what does /TV have to do with anything? Is it per tv? Is it depending how many tv's you have?

Third, what are we even solving for? And if we're solving for any variable, please tell me what it is and how to do it. Because telling me how many players per pool won't help me find out how many players there are, and vice versa.

Forth, why not just answer the question? I mean if I were to run a tournament where many people showed up, I'd keep the constant of 8 people per pool, and of course have that extra left over dumped into another pool.

Fifth, I tried solving this, and got nowhere.
First thing I did was see this and assume that there were 50 people coming, so I can solve for b, and it got me to start with this:
5n(b-1)=I have no idea.

And it ultimately led me to that state of not having an idea what or how to solve this.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but that formula makes no sense to me whatsoever. I mean yeah, you can't have a number of people coming until tournament day, which is why I tried to be lenient and assume. I guess that the ball is in your park on figuring all of this out, but I can tell that you're a smart guy. I do have an interest in what the formula actually means, so please elaborate for me. Thank you.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
So... doing a smashfest on Friday? (Since I'll probably be registering at the time you specified that day, I might as well play :p)

:069:

_WindeX_

Smash Apprentice
So uh, pretty much goes without saying that there won't be pools for doubles? It's such a small bracket already that I couldn't really see it needing pools....

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
lol bro

i hate to break it to you

but 2 years is a mad long time

and i assume both you and your girl are around senior in highschool age

2 years from now you're both gonna be a lot different, whether you know it or not

the chances of your relationship ending or being VERY unhealthy is as high as i am a ****

long distance blows the ****

i'm just trying to save you some time/thought/emotional BS and you should prolly just go into VA single and see what happens

in 2 years who knows what's gonna be going down

don't have to listen to me

have fun in VA/MD (it is a more competitive region than us)

don't meatride tooooooo hard loolol
No Offence CHASHIC BUT Gmoney know what hes talking about i feel the same way but its your choice.

but forgetting this.......
wtf is that im hearing your not throwing the tourney man??? and that your not riding with us to yasumicon?? you told mix your meeting us up there?? that better not be like all those times your like ""i got you in going"" and at the end you dont LOL
ad last tourney is almost here!! cant wait xD

nevershootme

Smash Master
Okay, 8 bit, let me ask you something:

If k is a known variable, then why say k when you can say 1? And if the variable is 1 in a multiplication sentence, then why is it even there?? Is it to make it seem cooler? It's the same as going (5kn(b-1)) - q/TV where q equals zero. Pointless.

Second, what does /TV have to do with anything? Is it per tv? Is it depending how many tv's you have?

Third, what are we even solving for? And if we're solving for any variable, please tell me what it is and how to do it. Because telling me how many players per pool won't help me find out how many players there are, and vice versa.

Forth, why not just answer the question? I mean if I were to run a tournament where many people showed up, I'd keep the constant of 8 people per pool, and of course have that extra left over dumped into another pool.

Fifth, I tried solving this, and got nowhere.
First thing I did was see this and assume that there were 50 people coming, so I can solve for b, and it got me to start with this:
5n(b-1)=I have no idea.

And it ultimately led me to that state of not having an idea what or how to solve this.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but that formula makes no sense to me whatsoever. I mean yeah, you can't have a number of people coming until tournament day, which is why I tried to be lenient and assume. I guess that the ball is in your park on figuring all of this out, but I can tell that you're a smart guy. I do have an interest in what the formula actually means, so please elaborate for me. Thank you.
wow... there are no flaws in the formula, look at the thread above about tournament mechanics in tournament discussion

k = efficiency of the host... which means the higher the value, the more u suck at hosting

in the interest of time, I'm not gonna do 2 rounds of pools... it's only 1 round of pools to weed out half in a faster time

TV = how many tv's available at the venue...

b = number of players per pool

if you do the calculation for 8 players per pool. you get 4 hours to complete 8 pools of 8 players each.

if you do 16 pools of 4 players, you get 2 hours done by assigning 8 pools on 8 tv's while the other half get an hour long break.

and I've mentioned countless times that i do pools by separating all good players away from each other, i'm not gonna just hit create once and that's it.

also, it's so solve for how much time it takes to do pools -> double elim... you need to think about the venue size and the people going to the game room because it's an anime con

#HBC | Gorf

So the final bracket will be single elim, or double elim?

And thanks 8 bit for the link. It's quite interesting.

Okay okay I completely understand now.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Tournaments run by good hosts are ALWAYS double elimination. What a stupid question >_>.

So me and polt are teaming. Be ready to lose to wifi.

nevershootme

Smash Master
um... it's 8-Bit, not 8 bit. wow.... looks like u don't have enough experience with tournaments, i mean who does single elimation anyways.... inexperienced people would. I mean the NBA, NHL, college sports do single elim

you think people paid $10 just to lose once is fair. that itself is waiting 2 hours just to play 1 match out of so many people waiting at the same time. that $10 can go to food or something or go home. think about it, and you'll know how hosting works well.

everything is always double elim.

man i'm changing my name sheesh... don't calls me 8-Bit until u have seen me in person or even talked to me in person

#HBC | Gorf

I'm referencing off the link itself... it shows a single elim bracket, which is why I assume you would. Sorry for the assumption.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
ed knows what hes talking about. probably best tourney hoster next to will o.o

verycoolguy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CoolVCG
ooh looks like i can't preregister tomorrow night...
anyway i'll be bringing my Wii, component cables and AV cables just in case

edit

When will the preregs stop? i could be there at around... 10ish.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
No Offence CHASHIC BUT Gmoney know what hes talking about i feel the same way but its your choice.
lol i should just host a show

like dr phil

is he really a doctor?

w/e w/e... point of the matter is.... psychology is like the easiest class

everyone should take it and get a free Aceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

yep

-!-

Smash Lord
naples ppl. make sure u guys have my number so you can call me when you arrive
I got your Num. from cape coral.

we should be heading out like around 8 or so. a couple guys have to work morning shift till like 4-5 >_< and everything is so damm apart here :(

DFEAR

Smash Hero
shaky wont be known anymore as a BEAST NASTY EPIC NESS but just "another" falco :\ sighs

Master Raven

Smash Master
Ed, what time are you leaving for FIU tomorrow? Just so I can give my dad a rough estimation on what time we should leave since he's taking me (Seibrik can't drive me).

nevershootme

Smash Master
Ed, what time are you leaving for FIU tomorrow? Just so I can give my dad a rough estimation on what time we should leave since he's taking me (Seibrik can't drive me).
uh... I'm at FIU all day today and tomorrow (like trying to sleep over at a friend's dorm)

as a reminder, Registration starts at 10am. tournament starts at noon (doubles). don't be late

edit: I can't do any registrations tonight (last minute rule changes from the con)

Registration for tournaments starts at 8AM on SATURDAY sharp. SO SPACE IS LIMITED FOR BB AND SF4, BUT NOT BRAWL

GAME ROOM OPENS AT NOON

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
lol i should just host a show

like dr phil

is he really a doctor?

w/e w/e... point of the matter is.... psychology is like the easiest class

everyone should take it and get a free Aceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

yep
Lol that show would be too funny ha
and the pictures of the place look the samee "memoriess" ha cant waittt

Top Bottom