• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xanadu: Pearl Edition (Featuring, MD vs VA crew battle)... - June 22nd, 2013 - Baltimore, MD

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
PRESENTING:

(I promise the logo will look better next month, graphics folks are away this week!)
Hey Everybody! Tantalus here- we've got our next EXCITING event coming up! It will be an event primarily focused on MELEE so make sure you come on out and get warmups for the EVO tournament in July!

Each Xanadu for the upcoming months will have an absolutely FREE controller giveaway! The event will match the color, so this month's giveaway is pearl.

Here is how it works: By paying the Xanadu venue fee, you will get 1 raffle ticket towards winning this controller. Keep in mind- this pearl controller is worth over 50 US dollars, so this deal is incredibly good. The Pearl controller is not available in the states, it is primarily exclusive to europe and very few released in Japan. This is your chance to get a very rare item! Let's add in also that by paying an extra $1 you can purchase additional tickets towards the raffle. So if you pay venue and by 20 raffle tickets, you'll have 21 entries in the pot. Also, the raffle was so successful last time, I will have multiple prizes beyond the controller this month! There will be a cool Mario Hat, as well as potentially some old school games. There will also be a special deal on raffle tickets.

If you buy a $20 roll of tickets, i'll give you 25 tickets! That's 5 for free! If you buy a $10 roll of tickets, i'll give you 12 tickets! No discounts lower than 10, but hey there will be more prizes this time so it'll be worth your while. If you win a non-grand prize, you are still eligible for other prizes (the ticket that wins will be pulled from the bucket, so you'd have to have multiple entries to win.) It should be a lot of fun!

Location: Xanadu Games (thread has the address info! If Baltimore doesn't work as the city address, try using Halethorpe or Arbutus. This really isn't within "Baltimore" per se.)

Games: Super Smash Bros. Melee

Schedule:

10:30am Venue Opens
11:30am Melee Doubles Signups begin
12:00-12:30pm Melee Doubles begins (yes, we're getting started early, please be on-time!)
2:30pm Crew Captains report for MD vs VA
3:00pm MD VS VA Crew Battle
4:00pm Raffle Drawings, Melee Singles Signups
4:30pm Melee Singles Begins

This gives everybody plenty of time to break for lunch/dinner in-between events or as they get knocked out. The schedule is pretty aggressive so please be on-time as I'd like to not have to DQ anyone. There will be a strict 10 minute rule for DQ'ing (don't act as if EVO won't DQ you right away!)

Prices:

$10 Venue fee (Providing a cube + melee will earn you a $5 refund)
$10 Melee Singles
$10 Melee Doubles
$5 Melee Crew Battle

Rules: If you have any questions about the rules, please ask up front rather than waiting till after a match to ask. It could be too late!

General Gameplay:

- 4 stock
- 8 minute timer
- Items are set to "off" and "none"
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If there is a tie, see the tiebreaker section to follow.
- All sets in bracket with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals will be best of 3 matches. The finals matches will be a best of 5.
- Controller ports will be decided by players. If there is a conflict, we prefer using the G&W Hammer method to determine who gets to choose.
- You may switch ports on your counterpick. If you do not do this on your counter pick, you may not do it on game 3.
- BYOC (Bring your own controller). I recommend having a spare, just in case. If you don't have one, I might have a few for sale.
- Any controller malfunction mid match is on you. If you need to reset, your opponent will have to agree to a reset as doing so will require you to pause the match. (if pause is on).
- Stalling is banned. You know what this is, ask if you're unsure.
- If you freeze the game on an action initiated by your character, you lose. You are expected to know the boundaries of your character. (This rarely, if ever, happens.)
- Pause is recommended to be turned on for quick resets, but players can request it be turned off for the duration of their match.
- If a player pauses the match mid game (accidentally or intentionally), it is a stock loss to the player who pressed it.
- A match ending in simultaneous death does not go to the initiator. If the result is sudden death from this, use the normal tiebreaking rules (to follow) to determine the winner. Otherwise use who the game declared the winner.
- Coaching mid-match is banned. Don't do it.
- You cannot re-select a stage you have won on as a Counterpick in a set.
- Any and all infinites (basically, where someone can control the opponent without them being able to do anything about it) must end at 300%, otherwise it becomes stalling. All infinites are entirely legal.

- Starter Stages:

Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land

- Counterpick stages

Pokemon Stadium

- Doubles stage changes

Pokemon Stadium is a Starter
Kongo Jungle 64 is a CP
Fountain of Dreams is banned

Doubles ONLY rules:

- Team attack is set to ON
- Stock sharing is permitted

Set Procedure:

1. Character selection
2. Stage strike 1-2-1 (higher seed starts)
3. Play Game 1
4. Winning player announces ban stage for the set
5. Loser of previous match announces next match's stage
6. Winner of previous match chooses characters
7. Loser of previous match chooses characters
8. Play next game
9. Rinse and repeat 4-8 if set goes to a third game.

Tie Breaking:

Note: Tiebreaking is only initiated if the game started a sudden death round upon completion. Otherwise, the game declared winner is the winner of the match.

1. Winner is determined by highest stock count then lowest percent.
2. 1 stock, 3 minute match is played as a tiebreaker match. The winner of this match wins the game. If there is a tie in this match, proceed to step 4.
3. A second 1 stock, no time limit match is played. If a simultaneous death is initiated (such as swallocide) in this match, the initiator loses the match. There is no tie for this match, it is play until you win.

Crew Rules:

- MD and VA are separate teams. SoVA and NoVA fuse together for form VA's team, and MD/DC will form MD's team.
- Each team is allowed to have 7 total members.
- Each team will have 24 stocks that can be deployed in 4 stock increments per player. (Meaning, one person from each team will not participate.)
- Each team must pre-determine that character choices before the crews are deployed and it must be submitted to the judge (me).
- Timer is set to OFF.
- All 6 singles stages are on and stage select is random.

Crew Procedure:

- Each team will select their first player for the crew battle.
- From this point on, only the winner of the match will continue.
- The losing team chooses their next player to play.
- That team also has the option of counter picking a stage, if they opt to do that, the opponent will have an opportunity to switch characters. Otherwise, they must continue to use the same character.
- The winner of the match must begin the next match with the same number of stocks they had left at the end of the previous game by self-destructing.
- Rinse and repeat these steps as games continue.
- Last team standing wins.

Conduct Rules:

- BYOC (already mentioned this)
- No intrusive Cosmetic hacks permitted (no altering characters to look like master chief, no reversing the ice climbers colors, etc.)
- Drugs/Alcohol is banned from Xanadu. Don't let me see any, smell any, etc. We'll send you home packing.
- Intentionally disrupting someone mid-match intentionally or accidentally is not acceptable. Please do your best to make sure you are not disrupting a match. This can result to you being DQ'd or removed.
- Don't lose anything you're bringing to the event please, we are not liable for lost/stolen etc.

Prize Payouts:

1st: 55%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%
5th/5th: 2.5%

Much bigger prize pool since singles is the main focus.

Food Nearby:

All within close proximity is Chick-fil-A, McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's. There is also a pizza place that delivers that everyone is extremely fond off, as well as Chinese take out. Xanadu should have the chinese and pizza place order list right there at the counter if you want something.

Livestream:

VGBootcamp is providing the stream in HD!

You can view the stream at www.twitch.tv/VGBootcamp

Hope EVERYONE can make it out! This event will be one to remember. I'm already gathering OoS support for this so be ready! I look forward to seeing YOU there. Remember to check out the following pages:

www.twitch.tv.com/vgbootcamp- your Xanadu stream source and will be streaming KTAR 7!
www.facebook.com/tantscontrollerstore- providing the emerald controller for this event! Check it out!
www.twitter.com/xanadugames- follow them as they are our gracious hosts!
www.twitter.com/thetantalus- ask me if you have any questions

Oh yeah, and everyone make sure to use the new RSVP system within the new smashboards/smash4u forum system, it's really helpful. If you reply at AiB, please do the same. It makes it easier for the bracket.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
imo put MD vs. VA before the end of singles so that people stick around and so that the stream fills up with more viewers.

KoC is run similarly in that they don't make crews the last event.

Wife

Smash Lord
The Newlyeds will be at this. Hopefully I'll be allowed to play for MD, even though I have a VA address these days. Not trying to pull some Chu ****, but I grew up in MD and anyway I heard MD could use the help . . .

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Wow, the hype was REAL at Zenith yesterday. If that is even a glimpse of a preview of the hype to expect at EVO, then we have a lot to look forward to. Even as a Brawl player, it is great to have a Super Smash Bros. game back on the main stage along with the top competitive games of this century. So better take this opportunity to warm up and be prepared for the main stage. Can anyone make the leap?

Also, to answer the marvel question, we could have one marvel setup for friendlies, but beyond that no there won't be any marvel.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Too far ahead to predict. Especially with Smash 4 around the corner. I know we are going to do a Brawl focused one in July, and then another one in august.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Is smash 4 REALLY around the corner though? The brawl trailer came out almost two years prior to brawl's release.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Doesn't really matter what the trailer says; with Nintendo and Sakurai, go ahead and assume it'll be pushed back at least twice.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
There will not be a project:M event. You're welcome to bring a setup and have friendlies.

This event is strictly focused on Melee for getting sharp for EVO. We've got a lot of folks that are heading out to EVO, so I hope everyone is practicing and getting ready. I've been practicing at home! I'm actually able to wavedash out of shine like 50% of the time now.

Also, don't forget about the Pearl controller giveaway, hype!

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Alright, Xanadu this Saturday! Get ready for the big show, EVO! MD/VA has promise as shown at Zenith, lets see some upsets pulled! I can't wait to watch everyone out there. Be ready by coming out this saturday! I am finally announcing the additional raffle prizes:

A gangsta mario hat
Nintendo Gamecube Pearl White Controller (only featured in Europe/Japan!)
Free Venue fee for next xanadu

Remember that you get 1 ticket just for paying venue fee. Also keep in mind any gamecubes/wiis brought discount your venue fee to $5 (but keep in mind they don't stack, so you only can claim this one time.) And additional raffle tickets are $1, so you can increase your chance of winning!

Can't wait to see you all there!

Frozen

Smash Lord
Oh ****, a reasonably priced melee tournament less than 5 minutes from my house?! I haven't played this game in a good 2-3 years but I'm down for this. It's time for the best falcon in America to take this tournament.

**** yeah, USA USA USA USA

Nintendude

Smash Hero
This same venue has a smashfest every Tuesday evening. If you really live 5 minutes away you should come by more often!

Frozen

Smash Lord
Yeah I've been once or twice, but to be honest I thought Brawl and just a general lack of interest had killed the melee scene around here a while ago, it's nice to see that events are still happening. I haven't played in forever, I mostly just play Starcraft these days. Should be fun though.

Top Bottom