• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Tourney in exactly one week, we'll see how I fare.

So far, I'm planning PT against everything, except Wolf for MK and Olimar, and Dedede for Snake and the chars he infinites. Though Snake is very much a maybe.

Also, Reflex, good luck. I also expect to see you at nationals of 2012, hopefully I can use my Mimic shenanigans next year (which is pretty much why I'm not going this year, aside from being completely broke.)

T-block

B2B TST
I always run pools at my tournaments just to seed. It gives players more matches.

Granted, we've only ever had 15-25 people, so time has never been a concern.

GL Luis ^_^

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol well I find pools a bit unnecesary because in a 15-20 man tourny most areas with a PR should know how to seed a tourny. Especially because in a 15-25 man tourny if you get knocked outta pools and dont get to play thats total crap.

If you ask me that makes anyone sound way more like a professional pot filler then just goin 0-2 at a tourny. We have a PR for NY/NJ and basically just comes to a consensus with the T.O.'s to seed our top players properly. No need for pools, LOL hell even KTAR 5 didnt use pools at that was a huge turnout/

Pools = thumbs down.......

T-block

B2B TST
Just because it's a waste of time?

I think it's pretty dumb to spend half a day in singles just to go 0-2. People tend to want to play the game when they go to tournaments, so if it means more sets, why not?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol a 15-25 person tournament should not take half a day in the first place.....adding pools is not making anything quicker or more worthwhile.

Plus whenev I get knocked out of tourny I always start the money match process......start with 1 dollar and see how far I get. So to use pools to seed players when in a 15-25 man tournament you know exxactly who should be seeded higher is a waste of time along with upsetting to newer player.

I mean whats worse....going 0-2 and at least being in a bracket or never getting out of a pool just to watch other people play. Pools give no sense of accomplishment to me personally so I always see them as unnecesary figuring all the tournies in NY/NJ dont have them and we never run into issues for small sized events.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
The only drawback is that I'm going to pay $20 to probably not even get into brackets. Nonetheless, since I'm going for fun, I'm going to try and get some friendlies in for practice.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea T-block I've been talkin about bomber's situation this whole time LOL. Thats why I'm against pools in his case.....getting cut from a small bracket because you did not make it out of pools is really really dumb

Aposl

Smash Ace
pools are good for nationals, and every once in a while smaller tournaments, but in general they are bad for small events. Speed, being the reasoning, it doesn't really matter though, because a good tournament organizer can run a tournament with pools fast anyways. soooooo.... whatever XP

Bomber7

Smash Hero
You know, a lot of people are predicting who will take first place. I think they are just in denial. The real champion will be me. :cool:

Rizen

Smash Legend
(I skimmed the last 2 pages) Good luck in tourneys/MMs PT players.;)

Ivy's good in FFAs. I played a friendly wifi FFA and KOed people at around 60-80% with Usmash for a win. It made me smile:bee:.

I don't contribute enough to the PT boards, only meh posts like this appear.:c

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Pools are important.

Last tournament here, a Peach main who has never played in tournament for singles (Peachy) completely obliterated his pool, including a ranked Marth main. He choked in bracket, but he took first seed in pools at his FIRST TOURNAMENT. If it had gone straight to bracket and I had played him (I had an idea of how good he is, I play with him every now and then) I would have johned about getting stacked brackets and poor seeding.

Instead I just got a stacked pool. Was one game away from making brackets.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
When tournies have 40+ players, doing pools is a pretty good idea imo.

When they have 70+ players its VERY hard to keep things under time constraints. I'd love to do pools but there's too many people to do so in one day. SIIS3 and SIIS4 are prime examples where the tourney finished after 3am each time.

I don't like the idea of pools for 25 or less players. Feels like a waste of time, especially if everyone makes it into bracket, but thats just my opinion.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I got screwed in VGC. Lost in the first round. I was about to 3-0 a guy until my Gyro Ball missed due to Brightpowder and I got flinch hax'd.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea I agree keit man I can understand where you may need to do them. But at 25 and under entrant tournies I really dont see the point......fact of the matter is even if you go 0-2 you'll be able to MM and friendly a lot faster just due to the size of the tourny. So even there the couple extra matches pools MAY provide are replaceable overall.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
New Smash Bros. Confirmed for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U

Just confirmed at E3 by Nintendo exec that a NEW Smash Bros. is coming for the Nintendo 3DS (:p) and the new console (revealed as) "Wii U". There will be some sort of gameplay interaction between both gaming machines. So I guess you can play Smash as a mobile player as well as in your home/apartment/whatever on Wii U.

I hope to see more details soon! Let's hope PT as a character returns.

Good news for Wii U players, the system is designed so that if someone wants to watch television, they can and you can still play Smash (or even Smash Brawl) on the embedded screen of the Wii U controller. That controller is awesome in what you can do! :)

T-block

B2B TST
Merged to social thread.

New controller looks really neat... I'm quite impressed. A little apprehensive about what this means for Smash though... seems like it will be geared towards the casual side.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Merged to social thread.

New controller looks really neat... I'm quite impressed. A little apprehensive about what this means for Smash though... seems like it will be geared towards the casual side.
I have a question about the thread merger you did with my thread to this thread...
Would it not be more beneficial to have a separate thread for the Wii U games discussion? As you will be able to play Smash Brawl on it along with the new Smash game (which I think PT as a character has a strong chance of returning), I just thought it would be easier to discuss this topic in a separate thread. Please understand I am not attempting or desiring to not be respectful of your decision of doing the thread merger, but I felt in the short-long run it would be easier to keep relevant discussion in already established thread and not a random discussion thread. I would hate to have to weave through some other posts trying to figure out where the last discussions for this particular topic left off. :) Plus others would eventually be doing the same thread navigating trying to see the latest news or discussions on this particular topic of Wii U Smash Bros.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Just confirmed at E3 by Nintendo exec that a NEW Smash Bros. is coming for the Nintendo 3DS (:p) and the new console (revealed as) "Wii U". There will be some sort of gameplay interaction between both gaming machines. So I guess you can play Smash as a mobile player as well as in your home/apartment/whatever on Wii U.

I hope to see more details soon! Let's hope PT as a character returns.

Good news for Wii U players, the system is designed so that if someone wants to watch television, they can and you can still play Smash (or even Smash Brawl) on the embedded screen of the Wii U controller. That controller is awesome in what you can do! :)
That's perfect since the gamewill most likely come out later this year which is when I plan on buying a 3DS anyway. By then, the price should go down.

T-block

B2B TST
I don't think there's been a date set for Smash 4 yet, but you should get a 3DS anyways later this year because there are sooo many good games coming out for it x.x

I have a question about the thread merger you did with my thread to this thread...
Would it not be more beneficial to have a separate thread for the Wii U games discussion? As you will be able to play Smash Brawl on it along with the new Smash game (which I think PT as a character has a strong chance of returning), I just thought it would be easier to discuss this topic in a separate thread. Please understand I am not attempting or desiring to not be respectful of your decision of doing the thread merger, but I felt in the short-long run it would be easier to keep relevant discussion in already established thread and not a random discussion thread. I would hate to have to weave through some other posts trying to figure out where the last discussions for this particular topic left off. :) Plus others would eventually be doing the same thread navigating trying to see the latest news or discussions on this particular topic of Wii U Smash Bros.
The OP of that thread did not focus on PT's return (but even if it did, I might still have merged it), but rather on the WiiU and the new Smash in general, so it would have been better suited for a more general area of the boards. Bringing up the new console on the PT boards is fine, but I saw it as going in the direction of people just offering their opinions on the news, which is more suited for the social thread. I don't think PT speculation for the next Smash game warrants a separate thread at this point.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea guys brawl took quite some time to come out after the wii released so expecting this anytime this year is foolish.

Secondly look at this piece of "art" sakurai gave us and titled Super Smash Bros. Brawl. At this point if I hear one word of sakurai being a part of the next smash game then I have no intent what so ever to look forward to the game. Honestly I think the concept of having the ability to play on a 3ds against people on a console is showing exactly how casual nintendo is going with smash brothers.

So no hype from me at all and hopefully if the game even comes out half decent I can be surprised.
Because last I heard there had been a few statement from the creators and programmers of brawl including sakurai himself who all said "Smash is not going to be competitive anymore" so with that in mind I am enjoying brawl all that much more :)

T-block

B2B TST
I think it was confirmed that Sakurai would be working on the next Smash.

And are we sure that it will actually be playable on the 3DS and the WiiU? It's possible that 3DS would just be able to interact with the game (like GBA and Zelda Four Swords)... I think that's much more likely, because the hardware in the 3DS shouldn't be able to compare to the WiiU, and I can't imagine the next Smash game being scaled back just so it can be ported to the 3DS.

Sakurai already said he made Brawl without any intent of being competitive =P How can you say you enjoy Brawl, but have no hopes for Smash 4?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Simple T-block....I hate everything that sakurai instituted into the game to make it a less competitve game....tripping the overall lack of refinement of metaknight.

I only enjoy brawl because of the character we play and I say it all the time.....if PT wasn't in brawl I wouldn't play the game. I love most of the cast of brawl and all their AT's but the overall mechanics and way brawl plays out is why I hate what sakurai did to this game. Nintendo is all about equality for its gamers in games yet they totally bent over and had their way with every competitive gamer who waited to brawl. That's a pretty legit reason to hate the man.....if you don't agree please feel free to explain I just don't get how you can't hate him after he blantantly told all competitive gamers to basically **** off

:phone:

Rizen

Smash Legend
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=114587

Simple T-block....I hate everything that sakurai instituted into the game to make it a less competitve game....tripping the overall lack of refinement of metaknight.
MK was not thought to be a great character (according to the player's guide he gets 6 of 10, PT gets a 7) when they launched the game. The game manics just work really well with MK in competitive play.
I think they need to test the SSBs series in real, competitive play much better before the games are released.

Casual play is fun, Link is awesome in Subspace, but SSB4 needs to be build around competitive play then have casual elements incorporated. Not the other way around.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea arizen that sounds like the right way to go honestly test the game fully so that we have it properly tweaked for competitive gameplay then add casual elements.

And I'm pretty sure the guide listed marth as the best in the game guys.......lol and according to pierce and RJ they can really strongly debate on his behalf

:phone:

Top Bottom