• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
pokemon taken ultra seriously is pretty lame anyway. Inconsistent is cheesy as hell, and putting something like that shock wave gardevoir on your team specifically for that hurts your team's ability to counter more 'standard' threats, what with all the massively powerful pokemon roaming around these days.

The stupid thing that it's so easy to fall down that slippery slope, because as reflex mentions, is it all that different from flinch hax? The main difference is that if you get lucky with togekiss, you'll be able to kill one, maybe two pokemon you shouldn't have killed. If you get lucky with inconsistent, you will kill an entire team...

Lol pokemon.

Anyway, a bit of luck is fine, but that is ridiculous. For the people that want to take the game seriously, i think it's best that it be banned. When playing for fun or whatever, if you want to run through teams with a bidoof or something, be my guest, but don't be upset when people call you out on being cheesy and using a dumb tactic.
biiiidooof biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidoooooof!

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm don't even understand Pokemon.
I feel like sigging this, so bad.

How does Charazard's glide work? I accidentally glided and died because upB didn't work afterward. It probably was wifi lag. Can Char jump or aerial attack like Fair after gliding if he has jumps remaining. Can I cancel glide without glide attacking?
What controller do you use? If you use a button for jumping, you can cancel the glide by pressing the jump button mid glide, without going into helpless, and landing with as much lag as a soft landing, depending on how fast your glide speed was. You have to have another jump remaining for this to work, watch carefully what you're doing. If you do have another jump, you can perform an aerial a few frames after canceling, but you cannot glide again until you touch solid ground.

If you accidentally use your second jump before doing this, upon canceling, you'll go into helpless. Likewise, if you glide attack with a jump remaining, you can do an aerial, jump, or any special you're not limited to performing on the ground (I.E Not Pokemon Switch).

lucas_irineu

Smash Cadet
Competitive pokémon sucks. I've got friends who'd kill me for saying that, but c'mon. It takes all the fun away.

But its too late for me now. I know about IVs, EVs, Catch Rates, Natures, and all that ****. My mind is tainted.

I wish I could be a six year old playing Pokémon Red for the first time again. God, amazing times. Man, the nostalgia...

T-block

B2B TST
hai toby

iron head jirachi was way stupider than inconsistent ever could be i agree

speaking of shuckle, i actually do have a log somewhere of sweeping with a power trick'd shuckle

Blissard

Smash Lord
GSC was full of Skarmory and Blissey. I liked competitive 3rd gen best:

-Gen 1 was the same pokemon over and over again.
-Gen 2 also had the same pokemon over and over again, but with walls.
-Gen 3 was pretty balanced.
-Gen 4 was sweeping galore.
-Gen 5 is weather with a side of Shanderaa and Nattorei.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
GSC was full of Skarmory and Blissey. I liked competitive 3rd gen best:

-Gen 1 was the same pokemon over and over again.
-Gen 2 also had the same pokemon over and over again, but with walls.
-Gen 3 was pretty balanced.
-Gen 4 was sweeping galore.
-Gen 5 is weather with a side of Shanderaa and Nattorei.
I agree. However, Gen. IV was much more than just sweeping. Especially near the decline of Salamence (as in, the banning of) FWG cores were everywhere.

Gen. I introduced the series.
Gen. II added some new toys regarding with typings and moves but was still undefined.
Gen. III added important competitive factors such as natures and abilities, etc.
Gen. IV refined Gen. I-Gen. III. Nothing else can be said.
Gen. V is one ugly *** mess.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Generation 3 is where they achieved true balance. They were too far-reaching with Generation 4. That\'s why I pretty much retired at the end of Full Advance.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Generation 3 is where they achieved true balance. They were too far-reaching with Generation 4. That\'s why I pretty much retired at the end of Full Advance.
Far-reaching? How so? I'm just curious. As someone who played almost exclusively UU during Gen. IV, I'm taking a completely neutral standpoint, since I never bothered with Infernape, Garchomp, and those shenanigans.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Far-reaching? How so? I\'m just curious. As someone who played almost exclusively UU during Gen. IV, I\'m taking a completely neutral standpoint, since I never bothered with Infernape, Garchomp, and those shenanigans.
They were like, \"We -need- to have new, useful items, and we -need- to buff specific stuff to make them as awesome as we feel they should be.\"

We got the Choice Scarf, which threw off the balance in Speed tiers significantly, thus turning counters on their head, thus making frail Pokémon really difficult to use at all.

We got the Life Orb, which creates a massive power boost for, in many cases, almost nothing at all (it could\'ve been balanced by activating the HP loss against Substitute, Protect and missed attacks, as well as being 1.2[5?])x instead of 1.3x, but, noooo). This made the strongest sweepers really troublesome to deal with; that Draco Meteor is going to disintegrate whatever you decide to send in.

Outrage became base 120 power...but not Thrash or Petal Dance? Rock Blast is base 25, but Bullet Seed and Icicle Spear are base 10? Feint is base 50 power? Draco Meteor exists? They made some weird choices with moves. I know a lot of the move stuff was fixed in 5th gen, but that doesn\'t excuse 4th gen.

The main troubles are the items and super-powerful moves; they created too many threats to be able to reasonably deal with. At this point, every team ends up being dreadfully weak to something specific and not very popular. For the longest time, teambuilding was bottlenecked (\"Okay, so I have my two Steels and a bulky Water to deal with a single Dragon-type\"), and the physical/special split was really bad for competitive play. Kingler has physical STAB? That\'s cool, until you realize that Salamence actually has good attacks.

It was quite the cluster****.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Rock Blast is base 25, but Bullet Seed and Icicle Spear are base 10?
Rock Blast has always been 25, but Icicle Spear and Bullet Seed are 25 now as well. I got lucky with a technician Chillachino that miraculously hit 5 times with Sweep Slap twice in a row, killing a Scizor.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Stealth Rock and the inflation of priority moves.

I had a 4th gen Hail team. The problem was that the metagame was full of sweepers that absolutely CRUSHED Hail teams, and Hail was focused on defense, so I only got up to like 1300 Ladder Points at most. I kept switching out more and more Pokemon so that my hail team could strive in the metagame, until I alas kicked out Abomasnow and ended up with a regular team.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Looking from Reflex's perspective, it's a miracle that they made 3th gen so good seeing as they had no clue what they were doing in 4th gen. I honestly don't know if I'm this excited for 5th gen, I find the designs very poor ( with exceptions ) and from what I've heard/read there's some messed stuff in there.

To throw the subject around a bit, I'm hunting the Final Fantasy Dissidia: 012 boards. Anyone as excited for this game as I am?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Rock Blast has always been 25, but Icicle Spear and Bullet Seed are 25 now as well. I got lucky with a technician Chillachino that miraculously hit 5 times with Sweep Slap twice in a row, killing a Scizor.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Stealth Rock and the inflation of priority moves.

I had a 4th gen Hail team. The problem was that the metagame was full of sweepers that absolutely CRUSHED Hail teams, and Hail was focused on defense, so I only got up to like 1300 Ladder Points at most. I kept switching out more and more Pokemon so that my hail team could strive in the metagame, until I alas kicked out Abomasnow and ended up with a regular team.
Oh, yeahhhh--Stealth Rock inevitably preventing otherwise-great Pokémon from seeing the light of day in OU is huge--Stealth Rock was the best move in 4th generation, no doubt.

I don't really mind the priority moves. Scizor was a tad bit overkill, but lots of stuff resists him.

I made up a few slight changes that would have greatly improved the game, I feel.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Oh, yeahhhh--Stealth Rock inevitably preventing otherwise-great Pokémon from seeing the light of day in OU is huge--Stealth Rock was the best move in 4th generation, no doubt.

I don't really mind the priority moves. Scizor was a tad bit overkill, but lots of stuff resists him.

I made up a few slight changes that would have greatly improved the game, I feel.
Stealth Rock was one of the best, along with Spore, and Substitute, and Earthquake, and other best moves of Gen. IV.

Scizor was so overused to the point where everyone ran Scior to check too much, which made Scizor really easy to bait.

Good thing Nintendo decided to remove Stealth Rock as a TM. And Sleep Talk! Then they changed the sleep mechanics.

T-block

B2B TST
Choice Scarf really is the worst item. It's one of the big reasons why I couldn't get into Gen IV to be honest. Having played Gen III a lot, it was really hard to get used to the idea that some pokemon may or may not be scarf'd.

Haven't played Gen V yet, but from what I hear, it's not going in a direction I like. I think I agree with Reflex in that nothing will top Gen III for me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
elaborate sir!
For example...

Defog is currently the worst move in competitive play. It lowers the opponent's evasion and gets rid of the entry hazards YOU put up.

Defog should've been "Haze for entry hazards." While we're at it, it should get rid of weather effects, too.

As a result of this, people aren't forced to use Rapid Spin, but Rapid Spin doesn't become obsolete, either. Rapid Spin would be useful for someone who needs their entry hazards out, while Defog would give other people new options to eliminate the opponent's. Also, Defog isn't resisted by anyone, meaning that "spinblocking" Defog would be limited to Taunt users.

Defog's distribution isn't fantastic, but there are a few Pokémon that would benefit--Bulky Staraptor could come into vogue, scaring out Tyranitar and Defogging Stealth Rock and Sand Stream away. Defog Zapdos could allow for Thunder to become more viable on defensive sets. Empoleon resists Stealth Rock and can defeat a lot of its users with little trouble. Gliscor, known for its ability as a defensive presence, could become a premier Defogger.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
For example...

Defog is currently the worst move in competitive play. It lowers the opponent's evasion and gets rid of the entry hazards YOU put up.

Defog should've been "Haze for entry hazards." While we're at it, it should get rid of weather effects, too.

As a result of this, people aren't forced to use Rapid Spin, but Rapid Spin doesn't become obsolete, either. Rapid Spin would be useful for someone who needs their entry hazards out, while Defog would give other people new options to eliminate the opponent's. Also, Defog isn't resisted by anyone, meaning that "spinblocking" Defog would be limited to Taunt users.

Defog's distribution isn't fantastic, but there are a few Pokémon that would benefit--Bulky Staraptor could come into vogue, scaring out Tyranitar and Defogging Stealth Rock and Sand Stream away. Defog Zapdos could allow for Thunder to become more viable on defensive sets. Empoleon resists Stealth Rock and can defeat a lot of its users with little trouble. Gliscor, known for its ability as a defensive presence, could become a premier Defogger.
You mean I can't use Attract / Confuse Ray Crobat anymore? Dammit.

A slight issue with your Defog buff, though, is that most of the Pokemon with Defog are Flying-types, which means as they switch in to remove hazards, they may be taking Stealth Rock damage on top of whatever they switch into.

At least Stealth Rock's distribution has been lowered severely with its removal as a TM. Spikes is a much more usable alternative if you're running that idea.

I, however, respect my opponents too much to use entry hazards~~

I'm 21 today!
Happy birthday, Zigsta!

Top Bottom