• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

stingers

Smash Obsessed
awwwwwwww yee

i've been using pokemon trainer in my allisbrawl wifi matches for the hell of it

squirtle on wifi = ._.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
boo wifi

does anyone else read the thread title in tracy's voice from pokemon puzzle league when he says "let's get going!"

bull**** twiddlericks, you live in zimbabwe

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I live 30 mins away from Columbus, so I really can't not go. OH would kidnap me and bring me there.

I still haven't decided if I'm gonna house anyone yet.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Pokemon Puzzle League is available for $10 at a nearby gamestore.

Should I hit that?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Espy, you should always hit that.

Also I am officially working at Hollywood Gang Productions...the people who developed 300.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Its my birthday and to celebrate my friends all had to play chars that could be hydrogimped while I was wasted.....man what an opening to my 22nd birthday

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
NO PROBLEM

yyYEEAAAAHHH

i main squirtle...
DUUUUUUDE

When you get a long combo with Zubat, he howls like I would imagine a Vulpix to sound. :p

When I'm sandbagging, I like to do a bunch of 4-block combos with Team Rocket, so that James does his maniacal laugh repeatedly.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Brock is a pretty solid mid tier in PPL, there's a really good Brock main who goes even with me here in my region (and he too goes mono-Zubat for that exact reason)

Personally, I main Lorelei though, with a little bit of Lt. Surge. Call me a tier ***** all you want, but when I play Pokemon Puzzle League, I play to win.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
lorelei is banned when my friend and i play because her pokemon sound so ****ing funny we both start laughing uncontrollably and can't play

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
thats exactly why shes top tier (lt surge for the same reason)

ritchie is a solid 3rd best but not because his pokemon are hilarious, but more because him and his pokemon are so annoying aaggahghh

DONT GIVE UP

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
POLIWHIRIRIRL

reflex how do you get really good at PPL, i mean, i understand some of the high level setups but it just doesn't click for me

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
i just played for hours on end when i was younger because i found it so much fun even if i wasnt good at it

then eventually things just started to click and i could see possible chains!!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm horrible at these type of games.

But I loved Tetris Attack. This looks more or less the same, so I wanna get it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I'm horrible at these type of games.

But I loved Tetris Attack. This looks more or less the same, so I wanna get it.
More or less? It's EXACTLY the same outside of a few extra modes. Panel Del Pon has been remixed and rereleased more times than Friday the 13th.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
POLIWHIRIRIRL

reflex how do you get really good at PPL, i mean, i understand some of the high level setups but it just doesn't click for me
Lots and lots of experience makes it so that you can see so many combinations at once.

There's proper block management, knowing how to properly attack (because properly defending is really easy) as well as advanced techniques that separate the men from the boys.

Whenever you have one or two vertical rows holding up a large amount of garbage blocks, you have plenty of time to defend yourself. Whenever you take away a horizontal level, so that the garbage blocks fall the screen shakes, the time you have to clear blocks, make chains, and basically defend yourself is frozen until the screen stops shaking, so you can time them so that you have plenty of time to think about what to do. Also, this time stops as long as blocks are being cleared. Time only gets added to the "not-lose" clock when you do chains and combos, but sometimes it's easier to do regular three-block clears just to freeze that clock and think for a second.

As for going on offense, combos are generally more useful than chains, and they go even better between each other. The reason being, it's almost always mind-numbingly easy to do garbage chains after the opponent just throws a large garbage block at you as a result of his/her large chain. With combos, while they give the opponent something to use almost immediately, at least they have to work for their chains, which is much harder than putting a garbage chain in place. When combos and short chains are used in tandem, the amount of blocks the opponent can easily manipulate to their advantage is much smaller, and they have less time to create garbage chains. It's all-around harder to play around.

Pokémon Puzzle League has an AT that isn't in any other game of its kind, and you have to be frame-perfect (or, at least, really close to). When a block is falling, you can switch it with another block as soon as it hits the ground, and both blocks will have the momentum (read: they will continue a chain), allowing for a means of continuing a chain that didn't exist before.

(I've never looked any information on this game up, so I figured everything out on my own.)

Also, until fairly recently, I didn't know that the horrendous lag was actually just an OPTION, XD.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
And now I'm not interested in it.
Thanks a lot, Reflex.
LAME

All the important stuff comes from experience and knowing a handful of good positions (which also, technically, mostly comes from experience). You should make all your friends play it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Any important stuff from any game with potential competitive merit comes from experience and knowledge, Reflex.

And no, we wouldn't. We're too busy enjoying too many games to get great at any single one.

I'll still buy it. But it'll only be played when we decide to dust off the N64.
I mean, we DID just play Mario Party 2 the other day.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Any important stuff from any game with potential competitive merit comes from experience and knowledge, Reflex.

And no, we wouldn't. We're too busy enjoying too many games to get great at any single one.

I'll still buy it. But it'll only be played when we decide to dust off the N64.
I mean, we DID just play Mario Party 2 the other day.
Hexagon Heat is the best minigame in the entire series.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hexagon Heat is the best minigame in the entire series.
I got ***** at it because I never played Mario Party 2.
Didn't know jumping on people flung you forward.

It was still fun though.

My favorite was the one with the hammer and the light bulbs.

Stadium 2 had overall better mini-games, but nothing tops the Clefairy mini game in Stadium 1.

T-block

B2B TST
i'm pretty sure egg emergency tops the clefairy minigame

don't shy away from PPL, espy... it doesn't take much time to get to a level where you can really enjoy the game. you definitely don't have to get to reflex's level =P

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
...how?

Egg Emergency was fun, but the Clefairy game is more fun when some friends are drunk or high on life/sugar.

Top Bottom