• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

CoonTail

Smash Lord
^Good work :)
Can you tell me how the CGs go on Ness? I kept messing squirtle's up the other day :/
If by CG's you mean grab releases then all I can say is that it is all a matter of noting the distance ness slides based on when he breaks out of the grab. Now I could be wrong and we may have to do an input similar to a small step CG, BUT I am almost 100% squirtle can standing re-grab ness out of grab release. I abused the living **** out of that and it ended up netting my squirtle 2 stocks every game I won.

Also Zard has a standing re-grab on ness that leads to D-Tilt at the edge which we need to abuse more. I grabbed him at like 70 or 75% one stock with a fresh Zard and converted the kill with ease,

Now Ivy on the other hand needs to GTFO against ness and swap immediately because PK fire + Ivy's HORRIFIC aerial mobility make that MU a complete nightmare to get anything.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Sup wit it Pokemon Trainer boards!

Just stopping in for my annual visit. Anyone remember my name?

Edit: Happy Birthday T-Block?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have a question: how should I play the Falco MU? It seems like Falco just shuts down PT super hard. I know Squirtle can crawl under lasers and Char can Rocksmash them but it still is difficult to get in and falco's close combat game is stupid good too :sadeyes: Ivy just gets destroyed. So where should I take Falco, what to do and what's the MU ratio?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
sup PT boards, I actually got something on my mind for a while since Smash 4's hype. Do you guys believe Ivysaur will have a chance to be a returning veteran? I've been digging the idea of any grass-type especially Sceptile so what do you guys think? Also got a couple of cool clips for the video thread for those who didn't watch my last videos because of bad quality.

T-block

B2B TST
I doubt it... I guess there's a slim chance we'll see a Pokemon Trainer character return, but with Charizard being his own character it almost certainly wouldn't be the Kanto starter trio.

ON THAT NOTE, HOW SAD WAS EVERYONE HERE WHEN CHARIZARD AND GRENINJA WERE ANNOUNCED? I miss Squirtle already =(

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Although being bummed about it too, Greninja's Water shuriken....... Fully charged is no joke it kinda puts Squirtle as a whole character to shame but still just a demo. Playing Brawl and P:M and not hearing about squirtle in smash does give me the sad feels =(.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Someone on another site pointed out that a fire and water starter pokemon's last evolutions are playable. By this pattern a grass starter's evolution, from a different generation then the others, should be a character.
At least with no trainer there's no fatigue.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Someone on another site pointed out that a fire and water starter pokemon's last evolutions are playable. By this pattern a grass starter's evolution, from a different generation then the others, should be a character.
At least with no trainer there's no fatigue.
And this is why we need sceptile! btw I'm sending some PT stuff to the video thread for some watching that may be memories and finally showing my Ivy whiplash example for ya Rizen

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I doubt it... I guess there's a slim chance we'll see a Pokemon Trainer character return, but with Charizard being his own character it almost certainly wouldn't be the Kanto starter trio.

ON THAT NOTE, HOW SAD WAS EVERYONE HERE WHEN CHARIZARD AND GRENINJA WERE ANNOUNCED? I miss Squirtle already =(
Flipping devastated. :/

I honestly could have stopped the trailer there, because I was so mad at seeing Charizard solo, I didn't even care about Greninja (instead of Mewtwo).

I don't know what the chances for Squirtle and Ivysaur fare now. Probably not very good. But even if they DO return, not being able to switch between them loses all the charm of Pokemon Trainer, IMHO.
Unless P.T. returns as his own character, incorporating the kanto starters (ideally, in their first evo stages, or Charmander, Wartortle, Venasaur) into his regular movesets, I don't think I'd particularly care about any pokemon character.

Heck.. I consider myself pretty good with Charizard, yet I'm dropping him in SSB4 because I don't like him without the other two. :p
I've decided to become a full-time P.T. main in Brawl, no matter what. Seconding ROB just because he can be very a reliable option to me.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I respect the commitment with P.T. maining shin~ Good Luck cus I kinda did the same. From maining P.T. since October 2013 I've entered a local ssbb tourney (no videos sorry :/ ) and got 1st place out of 17 entrants. GF was me P.T.(started Ivysaur all-time) vs. Marth and won my sets.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I respect the commitment with P.T. maining shin~ Good Luck cus I kinda did the same. From maining P.T. since October 2013 I've entered a local ssbb tourney (no videos sorry :/ ) and got 1st place out of 17 entrants. GF was me P.T.(started Ivysaur all-time) vs. Marth and won my sets.
Thanks. Truth is, I've used him but I never really had awesome results at tourneys.
Last time however, I did pretty decently against the best local Diddy (or now 2nd best). Managed to get him to a point where the next sure hit would win. But I accidentally SD by straying too far from the stage, and Waterfall didn't get me back. :( Really noobish mistake, but I was kinda nervous, heheh.

Some of my outdated matches are lying around here and there, I'll probably fetch one up and since I don't have a capture card, perhaps I can run it through Dolphin and export it in the best quality.

P.S. I'm surprised my Ivy held up her ground pretty well against Diddy. But Squirtle was the star, managed to beat Diddy to almost every single one of his nanners and used them against him. :D Of course in the end I lost...

What are your guys' thoughts against the Olimar match-up? Who's the better starter? I always considered razor leaf to be a Pikmin killer, but I don't know..

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Squirtle and them hydro sliding AT's with bananas is gdlk~

hmmmm.....I have mixed feelings about Lolimar because I stay away from Squirtle. my go-to starter is usually Ivysaur cus Ivysaur can handle the MU but not make it exactly even let alone in my favor...Red pikmin are pretty op against Ivy's type effectiveness so that hurts being hit by U-air or even Usmash. Charizard seems like the better choice vs Olimar imo.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
While I still have a massive love for our character I cannot lie about the fact that when I saw Zard by himself without fatigue I was jumping for joy.

Yes we lost squirtle and it's a sad day, but to be serious here I didn't believe PT had a shot in the dark at making it into smash 4. Now that I got greninja who at this stage of development seems rather OP(I played as him MULTIPLE times at the bestbuy demo due to knowing the Nintendo rep & the Smash crew who ran it) and Zard who I am waiting to see I just can't even really be upset about losing PT. This character has been my favorite thing for 5+ years now and I am tired of the low tier life.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
This character has been my favorite thing for 5+ years now and I am tired of the low tier life.
But CT yoooo, low-tier life is all about dedication! That and Brawl isn't a patched update kind of game so we can't expect any buffs. I'll probably main the Grass-type (if there is one hopefully) and go back to Lucario. Charizard is on my waiting list cus I can't wait to play the new Zard~

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I dig the videos ecchi, ggs Thanks for Playing PT. How come you posted 'em here and not in the Video Thread? (Probably because this thread's a little more active..)

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Also guys, despite me having a question I'd rather ask it here. Asking for advice for two Match-ups because of my recent struggle with them but what do you guys think of the Lucario & Olimar MU? Things like what recommended PKMN to start with etc. etc..

For a Lucario example, being Ivysaur and recovering the ledge but lost stage presence as Lucario ledge-guards with ASC, F-smash, Drop-off Dair etc. what way can I find to regain that stage presence with any mix-up?

For a Olimar example, the character itself because approaching is a challenge.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^TBH, I'm not the most experienced Pokemon Trainer so a better player could answer better.
What I have found is Oli is a huge pain. Squirtle's frame 1 jab and Char's flame thrower are useful as well as their grabs. Get Oli in the air and juggle a lot, fighting Oli 101, lol. But Oli is very hard. I think Ivy's leaves pass through his pikmin camping but Oli still wins with damage.
Squirt/Char grabs are good vs Lucario. Char's Usmash is also good vs him in the air.
I don't have a great answer to either MU.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hmm... Thanks for the input @ Rizen Rizen I do like flame-thrower and the jab, Ivy vs Oli is my plateau atm if I can't switch out with a stage gimmick or Zero Switch. I can't really find a way to out-trade Oli pikmin damage with a single Razor leaf despite the transcendent priority it has. I know options of getting Oli in the air and punishing his whistle but ground-game / neutral game it is some lame-fest. Frankly I let the Fatigue rule get to me if I have to use a move (N-air or B-air...no other move is worth the Fatigue rule) to deflect or destroy pikmin off me (without shielding / air-dodge). I guess just shield, spot-dodge or air-dodge, but other than that I struggle with versing Lucario...They're almost exactly the opposite with Fatigue & Stamina value vs AuraBoost%, it's ironic that I have trouble with Lucario when I play Lucario too. :ohwell:

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I
I always found Lucario's aura mechanic a tad unfair comparing it to the gimmick PT ended Up having.

I think going aggro on Oli is the only way to stand a chance. Not too familiar with this matchup But I'd throw two razor leaves before going gung-ho on him, nairing my way through pikmin. Then up close either poke with jabs Or nair combo into a bullet seed. But I need to experience this matchup first hand a bit more before I could say this works.

Btw, it just sucks that PT has 3 gimmicks, not one of them good :(
Now we'll never know if not having them wouldve made him a lot better.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Bullet Seed on Oli is very scary if the have they slightest SDI, Olimar being a very lightweight kind of makes bullet seed un-safe vs. unless you read a falling AirDodge to the ground in which the Bullet Seed trail hitting is worth. I've been trying to find ways SH+Bair into sliding pivot grab upon landing but it's not that easy if not possible at all. Starting out with Ivysaur first stock you have to treat Fair as a reliable move & cannot really save it for a kill move because of 3 dumb gimmecks.

Speaking of gimmecks I still dislike the favor Squirtle's type effectiveness got as an advantage vs fire damage, but I still find it a godsend vs ROB Snake Mario etc..

Last edited:

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Sorry to kinda plow over the over convo at hand, but Im just stopping by to say that I entered at Uprise 13 this weekend and managed to pull 4th in mid tiers. I played almost all PT with some Rob to get around raptor's Yoshi(2-0'd him with RoB)

Vinnie and I won doubles
Singles wasn't as great cause I started to run out of energy, but I still played really well.

LI is starting weeklies every Thursday night that I will be entering, so Ill keep y'all posted. I hope I did PT proud lol.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I took 3rd place at the LI weeklies only losing to Minty in winners before having to forfeit in losers. I had to leave early and I couldn't play out losers, but I got another chance again this week and I'll be going hard to play Vinnie in GFs!

Keep an eye out in case I can stream it and I will also see if we can get results posted from now on!!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Managed to take 4th place last night at the crossfire weekly. We had all of the LI power players come out barring Anti and I only ended up losing to will *SIGH* one day I will beat him.

Either way placing at the top again and making some serious moves to get there has me happy. Hopefully in the next week or so I can stream the weeklies.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
OK GUYS!!!

Last Thursday I never got a chance to report how I placed at the LI weekly! I managed to make it all the way to grand finals to play against Vinnie, but in not too much of a shock he bested me. Either way taking a 2nd place was a great feel and I am going to keep pressing hard at these locals.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Took 2nd out of 7 at the crossfire weekly yesterday.

I only dropped games to Anti after he finally entered for the first time in a while!!! Just my weekly check in so as always I hope Im holding up for our character!!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Alright guys this has been a long time coming, but now with Smash 4 here and present I must finally announce my retirement from Brawl as a whole.

It has been an absolutely glorious trip down the path of low tier life that I thank all of you for. In the time that I spent here I had the ability to grow and learn as a player, I managed to be considered the best PT in the atlantic north and eventually the US as our numbers dwindled(with results that never ever came close to matching reflex or T-block), became a TO to two separate tournament series that both achieved over 50+ entrants at their peak, and finally became the first sponsored commentator for brawl and only commentator to cast back to back Apex Top 8's for brawl.

You were my original home, my favorite group of people, and overall just simply a group that I don't think I could find in any other game.

Guys its been a pleasure being here with you and I am truly sorry to have to say goodbye.

A huge thanks to Typh, Steeler, Reflex, T-block, and Mata who all helped me evolve into the player I became. You guys really showed me the level of knowledge this character takes.

You should all have my twitter but just in case its CT_CoonTail, so feel free to shoot me a message there or on FB if you have me added!

And lastly shoutouts to Bomber for always supporting me and even making my sig. Dom you always had my back and I appreciate the hell out of that.

I'll see y'all on the smash 4 Charizard boards Im sure :)!

Top Bottom