• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Bomber7

Smash Hero
That's a bit ridiculous. It's their personal business how they spend their time. Meh, what do I care, I don't play PT anymore. Unsubscribing from this thread. This board is dead anyway.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Ok guys so it is sad to say but honestly after my huge hiatus from playing and commentating so much, I finally have managed to become immensely better and see exactly what I have done wrong for years.

It's really sad to see the simple mental blocks that made it nearly impossible for me to ever be considered a good player. I mean I am currently playing to an extent much higher than I used to play and all I can say is I wish I was able to do this earlier in my life.

It seems as if come APEX2014 that when I walk off from commentating Top 8 that this game will die......so I really do hope I get a chance to meet all of your guys before this game dies because honestly it's really weird being old enough to have seen a game bud, blossom, and die in front of me :/

peeup

Smash Lord
Brawl is a beautifully aging phoenix that will burn in the smoldering ashes of the Wii U, only to be brought back to the plane of existence in the searing inferno of life that is Smash 4. Better still, each and every loss and lesson learned in the hazy days of Brawl will be a scar on the soul of your Smash career, and the transition into the future will envelop you in a stream of rejuvenating excitement that will cleanse you of your wounds but not your memories. Like the phoenix, you will shine ever brighter than you ever thought you could. And you won't be alone. In your passionate glow you will look around and see the elated faces of the others rising up around you as redemption claims each and every one. The world may never look the same, but after the smoke has dispersed and the fire quelled, you'll see that the soil left behind will be the perfect bed for seeds of newer and better thoughts, friends, and experiences.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Ok guys so it is sad to say but honestly after my huge hiatus from playing and commentating so much, I finally have managed to become immensely better and see exactly what I have done wrong for years.

It's really sad to see the simple mental blocks that made it nearly impossible for me to ever be considered a good player. I mean I am currently playing to an extent much higher than I used to play and all I can say is I wish I was able to do this earlier in my life.

It seems as if come APEX2014 that when I walk off from commentating Top 8 that this game will die......so I really do hope I get a chance to meet all of your guys before this game dies because honestly it's really weird being old enough to have seen a game bud, blossom, and die in front of me :/

The real "understanding" of little nuances that take you to the next level can happen at any time, really. I'm glad that it's come to you. That understanding can make one's own past play seem silly, but, that's just how it works sometimes, heh.

Perhaps some of that understanding can be applied for, like, Smash 4 or another fighter. I hope you don't plan to just drop out of the community altogether anytime soon, but, life can get in the way of that. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
The real "understanding" of little nuances that take you to the next level can happen at any time, really. I'm glad that it's come to you. That understanding can make one's own past play seem silly, but, that's just how it works sometimes, heh.

Perhaps some of that understanding can be applied for, like, Smash 4 or another fighter. I hope you don't plan to just drop out of the community altogether anytime soon, but, life can get in the way of that. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Well I have no intention of leaving the community I was just expressing my fear is seeing it pass. The new found intelligence for the game is all thanks to commentary and being able to see how Top levels players constatntly break situations down and make hard reads. I appreciate the love Luis and I will deffinitly stick around now that I truely have seen that the community does care about what I am trying to bring to the table. Don't worry PT's you guys raised me and I just don't wanna say goodbye is all!

Also I have put a lot of time into Borderlands 2 and have become quite the forum celebrity over on the GBX forums due to my massive knowledge in that game LMAO, so if any of you guys are enjoying BL2 feel free to stop by the GBX forums and you will find me actively posting pretty consistently. It's sad to see how dead it got around here tho :(

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Welp I'm back guys, I've been practing bout an hour a day at least and will be entering Crossfire 3 along with commentating!

I also should be able to borrow a capture device so I start posting videos again too!

This will only be a run till APEX2014, but Imma make it a good one.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hey guys I come back from Crossfire 3 with nothing but smiles!!!

I ended up doing better than expected and my level of knowledge + practice came shining through.

I managed to beat Gunblade's MK round 1 of bracket with PT! It was a very impressive win for me and was a hard achievement because in all honesty the match started to look grim. I managed to get a reverse shift U-smash kill on him first stock also!

Sad to say there wasn't much more PT action due to MU's and getting stuck as PT game 2 on FD against his marth left me to get 3 stocked! It was my own fault tho as I wasn't thrilled with the idea of MK on Frigate which is what I banned. He chose FD as his CP and diddy vs MK or D3 vs MK was not what I wanted. I gave him the 3 stock since I wanted to play game 3 so bad, which in turn helped a lot because I was able to CP castel seige with D3 against his marth. Needless to say sandbagging game 2 in such an easy MU for him deffinitly affected his play because an error on his part caused him to up-b with his back to the stage on the 3rd transition of CS as it tilted up. Gave me more than enough room to edgehog him and secure game 3.

It was a big win for me to take down an NJ MK who has trained with nairo and has been a tournament threat for a while.

Overall I went 2-2 and got 17th out of 45-50 people only losing to NAKAT + Raptor. I was pretty damn happy with my return performance and majorly for my win with PT. The character rotation for me now is PT, D3, and diddy all of which I won with on saturday.

I'm hyped to be back guys! Hopefully it doesn't take a week for one of y'all to see this!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I wish tournaments existed around me so I could bring back such a happy and exciting report, well done CT!
Thanks and there was quite a dry spell of tournaments in the NY/NJ area for about 2 months after SKTAR, so I had to make it to this event. It was pretty damn exciting.

NAKAT

Smash Champion
Hey guys I come back from Crossfire 3 with nothing but smiles!!!

I ended up doing better than expected and my level of knowledge + practice came shining through.

I managed to beat Gunblade's MK round 1 of bracket with PT! It was a very impressive win for me and was a hard achievement because in all honesty the match started to look grim. I managed to get a reverse shift U-smash kill on him first stock also!

Sad to say there wasn't much more PT action due to MU's and getting stuck as PT game 2 on FD against his marth left me to get 3 stocked! It was my own fault tho as I wasn't thrilled with the idea of MK on Frigate which is what I banned. He chose FD as his CP and diddy vs MK or D3 vs MK was not what I wanted. I gave him the 3 stock since I wanted to play game 3 so bad, which in turn helped a lot because I was able to CP castel seige with D3 against his marth. Needless to say sandbagging game 2 in such an easy MU for him deffinitly affected his play because an error on his part caused him to up-b with his back to the stage on the 3rd transition of CS as it tilted up. Gave me more than enough room to edgehog him and secure game 3.

It was a big win for me to take down an NJ MK who has trained with nairo and has been a tournament threat for a while.

Overall I went 2-2 and got 17th out of 45-50 people only losing to NAKAT + Raptor. I was pretty damn happy with my return performance and majorly for my win with PT. The character rotation for me now is PT, D3, and diddy all of which I won with on saturday.

I'm hyped to be back guys! Hopefully it doesn't take a week for one of y'all to see this!
Does PT struggle vs Yoshi? Should have ***** it with Diddy lol.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Does PT struggle vs Yoshi? Should have ***** it with Diddy lol.
PT vs. Yoshi is a pretty damn bad MU for PT due to grab releases on them all. Diddy Vs. Yoshi would have been better but raptor has practiced against a Diddy for some time along with generally getting way better at the game, while I had 0 yoshi practice especially with my diddy.

I'm gonna hit the lab hard and come back way more ready for raptor next time!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Good stuff Coontail :)

*thread activity <3*
Lol and activity from other top NY/NJ players! Makes me seem like some kind of celebrity or something haahahah JK.

I'm glad to see some activity around here because I miss posting its just useless if no one is around!

peeup

Smash Lord
Hopefully I'll be attending a tourney in a few weeks. It'll only be my second tourney, and I never get to play human opponents, but I'll be reppin PT the whole way, hopefully I'll have some good results.

peeup

Smash Lord
This thread never ceases to be a hub of socialization.

So I made it to that tourney that I mentioned in my above post, and though I didn't take any tourney matches, I took some games off people, and I won a lot of friendlies. My biggest problem honestly was nerves and the like (I had a scary amount of SDs) so I'm sure that will get better as I play against real people more. I'm pretty sure nobody there has ever played a PT before cause I was getting off bullet seeds left and right.

Special note, I've heard that Yoshi is a horrible matchup for PT. One of my matches was against a Yoshi and idk if it was me not knowing the matchup well enough, but it was soooo hard to do anything. I couldn't reliably get close with any of my 'mons without getting grabbed or swallowed up, whats up with that?

Parting note, I'll be going to another tourney this saturday that'll probably have most of the same people, so hopefully I'll have some visible improvement to note.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
This thread never ceases to be a hub of socialization.

So I made it to that tourney that I mentioned in my above post, and though I didn't take any tourney matches, I took some games off people, and I won a lot of friendlies. My biggest problem honestly was nerves and the like (I had a scary amount of SDs) so I'm sure that will get better as I play against real people more. I'm pretty sure nobody there has ever played a PT before cause I was getting off bullet seeds left and right.

Special note, I've heard that Yoshi is a horrible matchup for PT. One of my matches was against a Yoshi and idk if it was me not knowing the matchup well enough, but it was soooo hard to do anything. I couldn't reliably get close with any of my 'mons without getting grabbed or swallowed up, whats up with that?

Parting note, I'll be going to another tourney this saturday that'll probably have most of the same people, so hopefully I'll have some visible improvement to note.
yea PT vs Yoshi can be really frustrating for PT. The grab release shuts down squirtle(free guaranteed spike), and makes charizard play a lot more careful. Though ivysaur isnt effected by GR, he isnt that much trouble for Yoshi imo. Egg zoning is another thing that Yoshi has that helps against both Zard and Ivy.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
We can't really do anything about pivot grab, which makes Squirtle tired really easily, Ivysaur bad at doing much of anything (except getting juggled), and Charizard has a seriously rough time with eggs.

It's just incredibly slow-going. Have to juggle him and avoid the grab at all costs. Make good use of Bullet Seed and Rock Smash opportunities.

peeup

Smash Lord
How abusable is bullet seed? I was getting it off with solid consistency but idk if thats because people didn't know the matchup.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, the initial hit is SDI-able, which can prevent the pop-up leading into much against some characters, but it's worth noting that a B-Reversed one (as in, being turned around) sends at a different angle, which throws people off and resists this issue.

It's fast and does a ton of damage. If you can manage to get them in it, it's a very, very useful counter option (as a general punish, as an out-of-shield option, as a way to harass high recoveries on characters with bad horizontal aerial speed/mobility)...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I hope you Rock Smash some fellows for me. It's the key to victory, even in the 2014 metagame. :x

peeup

Smash Lord
I'm in the process of figuring out a ride and housing etc. Things seem to be looking like I'll be able to make it, hope to see another PT there!

#represent :pt:

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
So I have a room reserved for the tourney. I'm looking for people to stay if you're going. its a 1 room 2 queen size beds. With 4 people the total will be 113 per person. With 6 it'll be 75. PM me if you're interested!

peeup

Smash Lord
I'll keep you posted, I may or may not be attending, and if I am I may or may not be attending with other people, and if I am I may or may not already have a housing situation already set up. But if not, I'll hit you up for sure.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@Coontail I was watching some Apex matches you commentate and you are a great commentator :)

ps
Bump!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Got a chance to finally play Shaky in some friendlies at Vinnies house and I did surprisingly well!

Managed to take him down to last stock last hit quite a few games and almost all of our sets went to game 3. I've always said I liked the ness v. PT matchup!

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Good work :)
Can you tell me how the CGs go on Ness? I kept messing squirtle's up the other day :/

Top Bottom