• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Shhhh CoonTail. He don't need to know that, because then it just makes me look bias. Lol jk. I'm allowed to be bias towards my own work.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
****... strange, shame it'd censor that of all things... That totally would've been my nickname for you otherwise :ohwell:

:009:

@Rizen: Ivy's moveset is good. Her projectile could be better, but aside from that she has excellent range, solid pokes, decent K.O. power, good options OOS.

Her problems are in her recovery, and pitiful ground/air speed. Her range is good, but she doesn't have the speed to abuse it to it's fullest extent.

:006:

Rizen

Smash Legend
@Rizen: Ivy's moveset is good. Her projectile could be better, but aside from that she has excellent range, solid pokes, decent K.O. power, good options OOS.

Her problems are in her recovery, and pitiful ground/air speed. Her range is good, but she doesn't have the speed to abuse it to it's fullest extent.

:006:
Good's relative in Brawl though. Ivy's not good for high tier; mid tier Ivy's meh.

I'm a Link main so most reach doesn't impress me. Ivy has decent reach imo.

Ivy's move set isn't bad but it's not great either. This is all IMO. Many of Ivy's moves have good aspects but big downsides, often relating to fatigue. Bair could be good but it's payoff is so low and Ivy gets tired from using it. Fsmash is good but Dsmash is weak and Usmash rarely lands because it's slow and obvious. Dtilt's good, dash attack's good and can KO. Jab and Ftilt lose uses because DIing out. Nair is very good but Ivy's movement paired with it's poor reach hurts it. Uair's good, BS can be very nice when used properly, Fair's good but not great for an aerial. Ivy doesn't have any mean aerial attacks. Grab is terrible :(. Razor leaf is bad.
It's an unbalanced move set that gets hurt by fatigue. If they made Usmash faster and weaker it would have more uses, etc.

*Shrug*

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ivysaur has the cutest animation in the game when you tether and edge and don't snap to it until it does so
automatically.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Razor Leaf has like way too many issues for it to be useful. I think.

Just an FYI you can control the pattern RL takes as it is thrown......I'm too tired to dig up my old post but I can explain further if you would like.

Also Luis I never get to talk to you anymore cause I'm too busy being a whack ass adult and your too busy being a god at Proj M! How you been sir.......been playing any PT recently?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I remember playing around with this a long time ago. You can control the pattern of RL to some extent. Whenever you throw it out, during the animation frames, you move the analog stick certain ways to dictate out it comes out. You can control the spin and the trajectory of the RL to some extent.

All I can remember is that I think doing half circle back during the animation frames gives the RL the most spin while half circle forward gives it the least spin. Like I said, it's been a long time since I've played with this and I think this is what Brian is talking about. It doesn't take long to figure all this stuff out if you actually sit down to play around with it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Also Luis I never get to talk to you anymore cause I'm too busy being a whack *** adult and your too busy being a god at Proj M! How you been sir.......been playing any PT recently?
I haven't been able to play a whole lot of anything lately. I get my undergrad degree in psychology in a couple weeks, and then I need to figure out what the hell to do after that. No leads for graduate school yet, so I'll probably take a semester off to work/find an internship leading up to more school within a year's time.

Project M is pretty sweet, though.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I haven't been able to play a whole lot of anything lately. I get my undergrad degree in psychology in a couple weeks, and then I need to figure out what the hell to do after that. No leads for graduate school yet, so I'll probably take a semester off to work/find an internship leading up to more school within a year's time.

Project M is pretty sweet, though.
Ahhhh ok well congrats on getting your degree man thats solid. Keep it up!!

I'd love to see some Proj M videos of you playing because with brawl getting quiet lately I am looking to expand my commentary into another game. Proj M is looking like a much easier transition than everything else.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
They're around. I've mostly been playing Ivysaur and Wario, with a brief stint as Squirtle. (The Ivysaur thread's list goes from oldest to newest.)

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-teachy-tv-ivysaur-video-and-critique-thread.331684/

http://smashboards.com/threads/wario-video-thread-show-off-or-critique.331933/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNGtL94bFnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbD43e07LQ
While I still play Brawl here and there, I have to say that I definitely enjoy Project M a good deal more. Trying to get more people to at least try it.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
They're around. I've mostly been playing Ivysaur and Wario, with a brief stint as Squirtle. (The Ivysaur thread's list goes from oldest to newest.)

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-teachy-tv-ivysaur-video-and-critique-thread.331684/

http://smashboards.com/threads/wario-video-thread-show-off-or-critique.331933/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNGtL94bFnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEbD43e07LQ
While I still play Brawl here and there, I have to say that I definitely enjoy Project M a good deal more. Trying to get more people to at least try it.
Awesome thanks for the vids Luis and yes Proj M is quite a bit more fun than brawl. That is the main reason I wanted to start commentating Proj M matches!

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Well, it's more fun because Brawl is getting old, but I personnally still prefer Brawl. Ivysaur is awesome in P:M though, I like her combos (U-air <3)

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I have been playing PT again.

How have you trainers been.

Also, Coontail is a super commentator <3
Aww you make me blush....too bad by the end of Top 8 at APEX I was so tired and dillusional that I had no idea what I was saying. Either way thanks my friend and keep an eye out I will be commentating at Petopia this weekend. I will also be dialing it back a bit to see if I can correct some of the issues I saw people had with my APEX commentary.

Also I believe I am having a $5 MM with NAKAT PT vs. Ness lol.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Coontail, just be sure to take notes on info about top players, matchups etc. I like your commentary when you are partnered with the right person. You are quite lively and keep me interested in the most boring matchups (which is what apex boils down to).

peeup

Smash Lord
yo so CT if bomber was off, how do you control razor leaf?

Slash I tried the stick rotaty thing, and I had moderate success, but it could have been random and I thought it worked. There's a word for that but I don't remember what it is #NotAPsychMajor

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Coontail, just be sure to take notes on info about top players, matchups etc. I like your commentary when you are partnered with the right person. You are quite lively and keep me interested in the most boring matchups (which is what apex boils down to).
I just saw this now Tesh and I did my best to keep notes on top players, but I was more just getting back into the loop of things. Thanks for the support and as always I would love critiques. So if you ever have time feel free to shoot me a message!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

Slash I tried the stick rotaty thing, and I had moderate success, but it could have been random and I thought it worked. There's a word for that but I don't remember what it is #NotAPsychMajor
I think that may be confirmation bias.

CoonTail

Smash Lord

To quote myself here is the whole breakdown on how to control RL.

Ok so after serious amounts of time testing out razor leaf and studying it I have found the actual patterns of the leaves and have found certain ways to control the actual leaves. To start I must first explain the first thing I found while studying razor leaf.......razor leaf will on the regular throw "stray leaves" or leaves that drift away from the opponent. These leaves I am sure many of us have seen and if you were researching razor leaf this concept would have infuriated you due to that fact that it makes findings mean nothing all the time and overall can create counter arguments to all the work I have done. "Stray leaves" can happen up to 1 out of every 2 leaves you throw. Overall the average stray occurs once every 3 leaves, 3 out of ten leaves in most cases were stray leaves.

Now that stray leaves have been explained now its down to all the info about the path the leaves take. To start the leaves can travel two ways, first the leaf has a spin to it which will determine lifespan and the more circular and faster that leaf spins will cause the leaf not only to cover more distance but it will take longer due to the more distance covered. Second the leaf can angle upwards and downwards and due to this angle the overall lifespan of a leaf can be questioned. If it gets an upward angle the leaf will most likely miss the opponent and drift off, where as when you get a leaf to travel at a downwards angle it is almost promised that you will get perfect spin and speed on it. Overall the best outcome I have seen from this is having the leaf spin in full circles at a downward angle with full speed, these I will define as perfect leaves. This bears the best results will almost always hit the opponent and will always make it through shields.

Next if you are grounded throwing razor leaves you cut you possibilities of stray leaves quite and bit. Throwing razor leaves while on the ground for me seemed to have 8 to 9 out of 10 leaves travel in a straight path with the leaf spinning in perfect circles. If you throw the leaves in the air this is where research became tricker. So to start being in the air causes a higher chance of stray leaves, while in the air there were times where I threw up to 6 out of 10 stray leaves, obviously not good. It is not only being in the air that raises chances of stray leaves but it is actually being in the air without drifting that raises the chances of stray leaves. Crazy Im sure it seems but when drifting back or forward with the leaves you will have way higher chances of throwing perfect leaves as earlier stated. The big find I had to truely throw perfect leaves is to time your landing so that all 4 of ivy's paws hit the ground right as you throw the leaf, the timing is a bit of a pain but once I had it down I threw 10 perfect leaves in a row on at least 5 different occasions. The leaf has to start to travel right as ivy's paws are on the floor and the perfect leaves just start to happen.

I tested out holding directions and c stick directions but no 100% way to throw or control the leaves came from it. In short it seems that you can throw perfect leaves or stray leaves and there are difference is the only one I found which was having all four of ivy's paws hit the floor as you throw it. If anyone else has found ways to control the leaves I hope I am not being redundant, but I have put alot of effort into finding this all out and the timing is not easy at all but once you get it I promise at least 9 out of 10 perfect leaves on average.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Pretty sure that was from page 5 or 6 of the Ivy tactical discussion, but it took forever to find. I'm not sure but the new search function seems faulty.

Rizen

Smash Legend
That's useful CoonTail :). With Link's arrows, you can tap B over and over and the arrows will not land in the exact same place so there is slight random factors to some range attacks.

With RLs, can't you tilt the control stick diagonally up/down like some Ftilts to angle the leaves' paths?

peeup

Smash Lord
Conversation starter:

If Pokemon Trainer is in Smash 4, will yall still main him? Does your answer change if he gets changed, either for the better or the worse? If he gets replaced by another generation trainer, most likely Gen VI, what would your thoughts be? If Gen I trainer and Gen VI trainer both find themselves in Smash 4, which one would you choose, if either?

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't main him lol. PT's a fun character and I like to use several characters so I'll probably play him (or her) in SSB4.

I'm a Link main at heart.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Red. I don't need the new stuff to prove their worth when these work just fine.

I really like the concept of PT; if his weaknesses are mitigated in the next iteration, I'd certainly give him a shot.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Personally I don't have much care for smash 4 since Sakurai is still in charge and has made it very clear how heavy his dislike is for competition. Not looking to start a war, but plain and simple the scales are tipped way more in the favor of smash 4 being worse than brawl. Due to this I don't have any real hype or care for the game especially since after working in gamestop for so long it's really easy to pick up the trend a series has taken as far as changes go.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm not judging SSB4 yet. They could make it better than Brawl if they don't throw in gimmicks and work on refining the game.

Is the PT named Red? He sounds like Ash. I don't know pokemon :/

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I don't main him lol. PT's a fun character and I like to use several characters so I'll probably play him (or her) in SSB4.

I'm a Link main at heart.
^ This.

I've played Link my whole life. PT was fun, but it's that situation where no matter how hard I tried to improve, I could never overcome that wall. I also am more naturally gifted with Link, not only from all the years of experience, but just his playstyle. So in retrospect, you'll probably never see me pick up PT again, not in Brawl, not in Smash 4, not ever. I totally forgot I was still subscribed to this thread. :x

peeup

Smash Lord
@CT, I share similar reservations but I'm hardcore banking on Namco to fix that.

And personally I main Red because Pokemon is my favorite franchise in Smash, and I like him and Jiggs best out of the playstyles. So I'll continue to play those two, and Mewtwo/three/X/Y if he's in the next one. Only other franchise that could potentially edge out Pokemon would be Kingdom Hearts, but Sora has about a 0% chance of getting in :(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The game is in its fifth year of existence, and a lot of people were thrown off by the server change for SmashBoards. A lot of people have jumped ship.

Top Bottom