• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WUMBO (April 16, Madison, WI)

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Date: Saturday, April 16, 2011

Location: Carson’s Carryout second floor, 1515 Tripp Circle Madison, Wisconsin
Type "1515 Tripp Circle, Madison, WI" into Google Maps and it will be location “A.”

This is on the UW-Madison campus. Go in the front door and up the stairs to your left.

If you switch to satellite view, you can see just to the East a huge, free parking lot literally 20 yards from the venue! It’s labeled “Lot 34.”

Prices: $5 venue fee (waived with setup)
$10.00 Melee singles
$20.00 Melee doubles ($10 per person)

Payout: 60/30/10 doubles
55/25/15/5 singles

Schedule:

You will be able to register for an event up right up until it starts. Doubles and singles will both have pools. Singles pools will start a half hour after doubles ends, so tentatively 4:00.

11:00 AM - Venue opens
12:00 PM - Melee doubles
4:00 PM - Melee singles
11:00 PM - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on., life stealing allowed.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are also banned.
- Wobbling is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals 1v1:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks 1v1:
Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64

Neutrals 2v2:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64

Set format:

1. Both players select characters. Double blind can be called if necessary.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
And don't forget to bring setups (a setup includes a TV and a Gamcube/Wii with Melee and all characters/stages unlocked) to waive your venue fee!

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I like the fact that the tournament is only a 2 minute walk from my place :D

By set-up, does that include TV as too?
Setup includes TV.

Sam, you didn't mention a venue fee in the OP which you stated would be waived with a setup.

I'll bring setup.

Also, the map you posted does not have carsons as location "A".

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
Oh cool, I didn't even think there'd be tournaments for Smash on campus, let alone for Melee. Is everyone that plays balls-to-the-sagna good at this game, wavedashing and what have you? I'd be interested in playing for kicks, but not if I'm going to be disgustingly outclassed by everyone there. I haven't played melee in years and only recently started playing Brawl again.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Digital Limit, you should come just to play casually at least. We have a club here in Madison actually, come to Memorial Union Thursdays between 6 PM and midnight and you can find us.

ORLY

Smash Master
Deku, if Dart doesn't come to this for whatever reason, let's team.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Deku, if Dart doesn't come to this for whatever reason, let's team.
wtf, why wouldn't he come, we have gone to your tourneys, and no offense but I hated the venue/area. madison likes to keep it classy, :)

ORLY

Smash Master
why is this thread so dead? geez, people! get at the WI melee scene

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I predict ORLY will take 1st at this.
you are sadly mistaken. you don't how much wisconsin has gotten better cough cough me and fruitloop cough.

Orly: When I face you in winners or grand finals, I'm using falco- prepare yourself!

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanchaz or Frootloop take this. Are you guys teaming?

Sanchaz, don't play falco.

ORLY

Smash Master
That may be the majority of us, yeah. Maybe I'll be able to find more.

ORLY

Smash Master
scythe we could all take one car. my town isn't far outta the way from you and sago

Tink

Smash Hero
i wanna go, but im sick of driving to everyyyy tournament :/.....so ill prolly miss this.

Tink

Smash Hero
lolll...as tournament winnings=weed money, idk how that makes any sense to miss this -_-....if you drove to 2 tournaments every month, youd understand -_-.

Top Bottom