• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Wry Mustache Man: Dominating Strategies Discussion

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
So I'm not sure how practical this is since literally 0% of Wario mains integrate footstool, including myself, into their play and probably never will. Aside from this, here's some info.

Wario's Nair and Bair leave Wario actionable on frame 50/53, putting Wario in a position to where he's 4 (50,51,52,53) frames above landing on the ground. As you might recall, Short hop air-dodge puts Wario 3 frames above ground. It might be worth noting that Wario's nair, near the end of its animation, still looks like a hitbox is out and that Wario looks like he has to land, so who knows, someone might try to grab. Point is, you can buffer jump and footstool from full hop nair and bair, and for cancelling nair, it looks like Wario immediately goes from being inflated to normal; its pretty weird.

This also works with full hop D-air (which puts Wario in a position to footstool opponents 6 frames before landing (works on Rosalina). It, too, doesn't look quite right from an animation standpoint. This puts Wario a little higher than Full hop nair/dair and I'm too lazy to lab every character to see who it does and doesn't work on, but I'd assume most*, since sh airdodge's main issue is being too low against some characters.

Everything you've just read can be done out of short hop on Battlefield mid-level platforms to characters on the ground level of the stage. So you could sh-dair to cover the grounded opponent jumping, then footstool if they remain in shield and you think they're foolish enough to grab (although better players usually don't shield grab unless they know their opponent isn't good/doesn't play safe).

This next part is mostly just a gateway to conversation, not anything I actually think is very practical.
One idea I had was that one could short hop d-air from a platform, and then double jump+air-dodge (making sure not to align Wario in a way that might cause him to footstool), and because the time for Wario's air dodge is similar to standing grab, if they're late on the standing/shield grab or they just have a really laggy grab you could react to the grab and footstool waft them out from the air-dodge. This however is tricky because you can't buffer jump+air-dodge while mid-air. You'd actually have to practice this and then figure out if it's actually practical, but in theory it sounds nice. Now here's something funny/super impractical/next level: after dj+air dodge, if your opponent does a standing grab and you are unsure if you will complete the air-dodge animation in time to footstool, you could buffer jump and then if no cigar, nothing will happen because you have no 2nd jump, and you could just command grab as the opponent would likely shield out of fear. If you dj+air-dodge and avoid the opponents attack (likely a sh-hop u-air) or they remain in shield, I feel like 1. Wario could air-dodge through an opponents u-air/u-smash and then waft and kill an opponent vertically with max waft's 2nd hitbox, 2. you get a shield break because if the opponent remains in shield even after the airdodge, Wario has enough time for a U-air before landing which could be followed up with Max waft. The idea of u-air+max waft sounds good and might nearly always shield break (13+time in between[2.82 in shield damage if they hold shield in between]+27=42.8), but it would require Wario to still be near the opponent after the u-air which is dependent on a lot of things.

Forget the previous paragraph, I just think there is potential in Wario's ability to double jump right after full hop dair/nair/bair or after short hopping them from platform height. Getting the most out of every jump.

Another random set-up to footstool is if you are under a platform-level opponent on Battlefield, full hop air-dodge gives Wario enough time before landing to footstool a grounded opponent, fair doesn't. Full hop Fair-footstool works literally only on Lylat's left and right-most platforms and you have to be jumping from mid-stage where it's not curved. This seemingly works very well with chomp instead of jumping/attempting a footstool.

Lastly, if the Bike is lying on stage, full hop airdodge->max waft will not reach low enough to hit the bike, but Full hop fair (which ends 2 frames later), will hit low enough and make Wario a superarmor bomb in mid-air.

Nick Fury

Smash Rookie
NNID
InstanceOfFury
Not sure if this has been talked about yet, but what do you guys think of Wario's viability in doubles? Also, I want opinions on characters that you feel mesh well on a team with Wario.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Wario is solid in doubles. He can live pretty long, team combos into waft are nuts, his bthrow has a hitbox, and you can set up some nasty edgeguard situations if your opponent knows how to play with a Wario teammate. The problem is he's a bit slow and lacks range, which can be troublesome if your teammate needs help, and bike is risky to use due to hitting your teammates.

I recommend teaming Wario up with a faster character like Mario or Pikachu to help mitigate Wario's campy playstyle.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
While Bike can be risky, I just want to add that with my old teammate, we both had a mutual understanding that if I bike, for him to just immediately shield, because if he got grabbed (the only thing that could happen to him) I'd hit him and the opponent. Usually, it worked out in our favor when Wario swept the stage.

Command grab is an extremely good tool in doubles, possibly better than waft due to consistency. If it hasn't been mentioned already, Successfully only hitting Wario while he's chomping the opponent is very hard to do and most opponents freak out and don't wait for Wario's chomp cooldown to punish. If your teammate understands the angle of Wario's chomp and plays a character with a good aerial (my teammate was Yoshi), you can get free spikes and kill confirms near the edge of stage. Chomp is a long-lingering series of hitboxes and the duration allows your partner to react (especially when he knows it's all you're going to do; which is all I did as stock tank/chomper/wafter). Chomp is so spammable in doubles because people are nearly 3 times likelier to shield when they have to worry about not getting hit by everyone. That's my philosophy and we've taken a set off Ryo and Sol with it. Yes it's gimmicky :}, but welcome to doubles.

Last edited:

Snorley

Smash Cadet
I recently played in a 3 stocks tournament and ended up beating one of our PR players making a 3 stock to 1 comeback... I am Highly favored towards 3 stocks

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
So let me get this straight... since footstools are untechable, you will can get a garanteed jab lock > waft any time you footstool?

Tayman

Smash Apprentice
only sour spot fair can lock with wario but i guess you could waft them right away if they where at kill percent for waft. i have not found a way to hit somone with sour spot fair while they are on the ground however it is easy to do it if they are on a platform.

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
kind of a weird question and may take some time to answer but could anyone explain the pros and cons of approaching with a full hop airdodge vs short hop airdodge ? if not that then is one universally better than the other ?

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
C C4- , I feel like the question you are asking is incredibly complex to be answered completely. Full hop air dodge gives you more options offensively since you still have air time to react. What I can say is both approaches don't work at all if the opponent knows you like to do it a lot. I'd say for FHAD you can begin jumping farther away from the opponent without getting punished as easily. SHAD you'd probably need to be closer to the opponent to really get what you want out of it, like a SHAD-> cross-up reverse Chomp/waft/double jump+d-air/ etc.

To all Warios, I have my own question and topic that I find interesting. I was talking to M2k about ways to punish Cloud's d-air. We both thought that Cloud's d-air was easily punished if powershielded, and that Cloud's d-air is an easy move to powershield (which the latter of which is true), since he must commit to it early. We practiced two things to see what Wario could punish, the first was powershielding the d-air to immediate grab. If Cloud fast falls his d-air/buffers spotdodge and I grab it seems to barely not get cloud in time. He told me that Lucario also has some weird thing like this with his nair-->spotdodge. That being said powershield grabbing worked like 2/10 times we trialed it but that might have been due to execution errors on his part. The next was powershield dash attacking cloud as he fades away and autocancels, also doesn't work, even with Wario's frame 4 dash attack. Moral of the story, never try to punish the move. I then thought about Wario's nair and how it autocancels slightly later than its late hitbox (final hitbox on frame 38 and autocancels on 44). I tried pretty hard in the lab to find ways for Wario to autocancel his n-air and still be able to hit opponents with the sourspot. The only way I found achieving this was possible was by full hopping, waiting a little bit (like around the time Wario's jumping voice animation ends), and then using nair and not fast falling it. It will hit the opponent and if you cross up there's good opportunity to d-tilt. The other method that works is full hop+double jump at the apex, and nair-ing at the apex. The problems I see with this is that neither are a good approach, in my opinion. I wasn't able to find a buffering method to achieve the desired result.

I want to know if you guys think Wario ability to autocancel his sourspot nair on shield is good competitively or not. I believe frame data is usually programmed for certain reasons, and I have yet to understand how to appropriately use nair's autocancel window being 5 frames away from the final hitbox, which is suspiciously enough to hit someone and then autocancel it.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
For all it's worth, Wario's N-Air frame data seems to synergize well with his fullhop. Fullhop lasts 53 frames on flat ground. Fullhop immediate N-Air -> buffered N-Air works, and it makes the sweetspot of the second N-Air hit on the frame before you land. That second N-Air is -7 on shield, and hitting shield with the last frame of a sourspot N-Air is also -7 if you don't go into landing lag. I wonder what characters, if any, are tall enough to be hit by the fullhop N-Air at the end. Testing must be done.

The scenario presented by Jag, where you hit with sourspot N-Air and then autocancel 5 frames later, is -5 on shield. In a perfect world, that means we could do that and spotdodge a reflexive shieldgrab on characters with Frame 8 grabs or worse.

Last edited:

DoubleD

Smash Rookie
So I was wondering, should every Wario main learn/utilize ledge trumps? Because with a bike hard thrown in the air, if you trump an opponent, while I don't think Warios frames lend a guaranteed Back air, your opponent would have to go high and likely be hit by the bike or if not that hit by Wario after their airdodge, or re-grab ledge in which case we could waft them. Admittedly, I'm asking this more as a hypothesis, I don't have anyone to help me test effectively

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
So I recently found out that ledge drop dair onto stage can auto cancel if done correctly :o so it's got me thinking what is an overall better option off the ledge nair or Dair ? Dair auto cancels while nair does not so I'm pretty sure it comes down to which is safer on shield, does anyone know ?

Tayman

Smash Apprentice
Dair on sheild is safe if you do it rising or cross up the sheild and nair on sheild on certain characters you can spotdoge to avoid punshiment go to the combo thread to learn more about that.But it all depend if my oppents is at a percent where they can die to dair I would dair onto the stage, if their were at low percent I would nair to set up a combo

So I was wondering, should every Wario main learn/utilize ledge trumps? Because with a bike hard thrown in the air, if you trump an opponent, while I don't think Warios frames lend a guaranteed Back air, your opponent would have to go high and likely be hit by the bike or if not that hit by Wario after their airdodge, or re-grab ledge in which case we could waft them. Admittedly, I'm asking this more as a hypothesis, I don't have anyone to help me test effectively
that's a great idea they can roll and get hit by the bike or they can take the ledge trump into backair/waft

Last edited by a moderator:

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
So here's my 2 cents on D-throw. We still aren't really sure how it's used best, but here's what I think as of now and I'm sure it's subject to change. When the game first game out, I thought it was a combo throw, then I thought it was used by the ledge to get people to DI inwards, then I thought it could set up platform tech situations, and now I think it is best used as a pivot grab option and is unique in that on some characters, it forces them to use their double jump. U-throw, b-throw, f-throw don't really get people to use their double jump, but d-throw can. Given that wario can chase anyone in the air, it might give Wario great positional advantage against some characters. Whatever the case, there's probably a reason the move has 18 knockback growth. Yes, DI away almost invalidates the move, but I really doubt everyone is going to DI it away (especially when pivot grabbed) and throw out an autocancelled aerial to avoid having to tech. If they do, they deserve to be safe. :} Tbh, I hardly ever use this move.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
So what do you guys think of the :4corrinf: matchup so far? I know we have an official matchup thread but I feel it's too early for a definitive answer.

So far, I feel we have a slight advantage in this matchup, or at-least it's even.

Little Z

Smash Rookie
So what do you guys think of the :4corrinf: matchup so far? I know we have an official matchup thread but I feel it's too early for a definitive answer.

So far, I feel we have a slight advantage in this matchup, or at-least it's even.
What makes you think the matchup is even? Because I would say that Corrin has an advantage over us. Her disjointed hitboxes are a pain for us to deal with and her recovery can't be stopped with dair (and I don't think sour dash attack works either).
From my experience this is a tough matchup, not the worst but still in her favour.
Wondering if there was anything specific to make you think it's even or something I'm not implementing? Bite is great on dragon shot but other than that I'm not seeing it.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311

It's definitely in Corrin's favor. 60-40 atleast, may be a little worse. Mainly due to her disjoints while still having good frame data. And we really can't mess with her offstage much because of her Up B having priority over Wario's dair. And then there's her ridiculous counter...which probably makes waft a wash since she can kill us pretty early if she can make a read and land it on one of our kill moves like ftilt or bair.

Last edited:

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
This MU is actually even for me. Playing safe is probably the best key for us, Although like Cloud she has "Range", which kinda sucks for us and we can't really edge guard her off stage because of that Up-B (Except extended waft tho, which is great against her simple recovery), but covering his/her landing options is one of our greatest tools here thanks to the Chomp and Bike.

Overall it's a annoying MU, but it's better to play safe for this one.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
How do we edge-guard Marth and Lucina? Any weird things that Have ever worked? Neutral is annoying enough (and completely doable, just a lot easier for them). When I work to get them off stage, I'd really like to see them stay off. I'm particularly talking about intercepting the dolphin slash. In melee, most characters can crouch cancel it, light shield+grab ledge, and toss projectiles. Wario can do one of those, and the angle for Bike toss doesn't seem that great to catch dolphin slash. D-air will definitely work, but because Marth/Lucina can mix up the timing and spacing on their ascent so freely, I feel d-air cannot be consistently done/well spaced unless on a hard read. Bike to Waft works tho, but again it's risky since they can time their dolphin slash really well. It seems like to me, that getting them before the dolphin slash is the best we can do.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
How do we edge-guard Marth and Lucina? Any weird things that Have ever worked? Neutral is annoying enough (and completely doable, just a lot easier for them). When I work to get them off stage, I'd really like to see them stay off. I'm particularly talking about intercepting the dolphin slash. In melee, most characters can crouch cancel it, light shield+grab ledge, and toss projectiles. Wario can do one of those, and the angle for Bike toss doesn't seem that great to catch dolphin slash. D-air will definitely work, but because Marth/Lucina can mix up the timing and spacing on their ascent so freely, I feel d-air cannot be consistently done/well spaced unless on a hard read. Bike to Waft works tho, but again it's risky since they can time their dolphin slash really well. It seems like to me, that getting them before the dolphin slash is the best we can do.
According to this video, it is possible to dash attack gimp Marth (and supposedly Lucina), though the timing is very strict (I'm not sure if Marthcina's up-B properties have changed since this video was made). Whenever I knock them off stage, I go for d-smash bike throw so the bike falls shortly in front of me. If they use shield breaker to travel horizontally, the bike will usually tumble on them and you can follow up with an aerial. If they try to use dolphin slash when they are fairly low (so they snap to the ledge) and the bike hits them, it will usually bring them so low that they can't recover.

I think the best way to interrupt dolphin slash would be to park the bike at the end of the stage and fart near the ledge so they get caught in the extended hitbox (not sure if this actually works though).

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
According to this video, it is possible to dash attack gimp Marth (and supposedly Lucina), though the timing is very strict (I'm not sure if Marthcina's up-B properties have changed since this video was made). Whenever I knock them off stage, I go for d-smash bike throw so the bike falls shortly in front of me. If they use shield breaker to travel horizontally, the bike will usually tumble on them and you can follow up with an aerial. If they try to use dolphin slash when they are fairly low (so they snap to the ledge) and the bike hits them, it will usually bring them so low that they can't recover.

I think the best way to interrupt dolphin slash would be to park the bike at the end of the stage and fart near the ledge so they get caught in the extended hitbox (not sure if this actually works though).
You can Bike to waft: https://youtu.be/nPcDuEHjQO4?t=11m1s
Bike Toss sounds good, but sort of slow and takes time to set-up. But definitely going to be something I try to use.
I'm not sure how strict the timing is for dash attack. because in your video you looked like you were in sourspot for quite a while before catching him. Anyway, I wonder if that Marth were to Up-B again, if he'd go above stage, or just grab ledge. I think some characters actually get caught by Wario's dash attack while snapping to ledge while others don't. Mario, I'm almost 100% sure is the former which is why if you dash attack Mario's Super Jump Punch, he can do it again immediately and it never snaps ledge and hits you instead lol.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think we can stick out D-Air directly above them and we will hit their head before the sword is arced more upward (it goes forward before it goes above them, and invincibility only lasts until the first frame of hitbox). That is dependent on them not doing it later, but it's a low risk for pretty good reward.

Last edited:

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
From my testing about 3 weeks ago, d-air in almost every instance loses to dolphin slash, but maybe I didn't test the instance you mentioned. The bad thing is that if d-air doesn't work, Marth gets to edge-guard Wario. I think d-air lacks the consistency to actually be used in the MU unless you see the marth recovering the same way every time and you're perfect. If not, I feel it's just not safe enough to go for as it loses a lot. Believe it or not, sourspot n-air traded with dolphin slash in more instances than D-air during my testing. The trade didn't do much to Marth, so it's not a great edge-guarding tool, but I think it says a lot about the hitbox on sourspot n-air. I think I might personally go for d-air only if I know 100% the marth wants to recover high (or is high/close enough to not react to a crazy fast, fast-fall d-air), and i'll just try to hit him in some other animation than try to beat dolphin slash. If he's predictably going low, I'll hard d-throw the bike. After the two bike bounces on Marth, he can still recover, but I bet Wario can get a d-air/waft off the the Bike bounce hitstun.

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
We only have a few frames where we can hit Marth. Look at this for a second. Only the start-up frames is where we can hit his/her head. (Credits to: Furil)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Looks like the important thing is to fall somewhat close to them. Not sure if D-Air is reliable for that, though.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Only the start-up frames is where we can hit his/her head.
It's important to note that Dolphin Slash is intangible 1-5f in the air, and the sword's directly above Marcina's head frame 8.

For a frame of reference as to where you should be aiming to hit them, startup to 6f has them move up about as much as the distance from the lower Dream Land platforms to the upper one.

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
Can anyone give me any information on DTilt to ftilt ( or even f smash)? Which characters does it work most reliably on , floaties? Does it usually work at around a certain percent (does Wario need rage?) or is it extremely MU specific? Does it only connect if the opponent makes a mistake? Any info is appreciated , thanks!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It requires the opponent to buffer a Shield input (to try to shield, grab, or roll) as they're hit by D-Tilt. Anytime F-Tilt is guaranteed, F-Smash is, too.

I have a list in the D-Tilt info in the Mad Scienstein Thread.

Snorley

Smash Cadet
Can anyone give me any information on DTilt to ftilt ( or even f smash)? Which characters does it work most reliably on , floaties? Does it usually work at around a certain percent (does Wario need rage?) or is it extremely MU specific? Does it only connect if the opponent makes a mistake? Any info is appreciated , thanks!
i tend to go for dtilt to rising foward air at mid percent because it puts them in a tech chase situation where if they miss the tech you get a free waft. same as if they tech in place

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Snorley Snorley How does d-tilt to f-air work? I don't think it is a true combo. Tech chasing with waft is only good if you can afford to waste waft or you get the opponent near the edge of a stage/platform, because then it covers 3 options. Mid stage if you try to read a tech-in-place with waft and they end up tech rolling, you just wasted waft. If you're just trying to cover tech in place or missed tech F-smash is a better option.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If they accidentally airdodge after D-Tilt hits, they can be hit by most anything. Rising F-Air is probably the least risky non-guaranteed offensive follow-up.

Snorley

Smash Cadet
Snorley Snorley How does d-tilt to f-air work? I don't think it is a true combo. Tech chasing with waft is only good if you can afford to waste waft or you get the opponent near the edge of a stage/platform, because then it covers 3 options. Mid stage if you try to read a tech-in-place with waft and they end up tech rolling, you just wasted waft. If you're just trying to cover tech in place or missed tech F-smash is a better option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XiPYlbHUU SKIP TO 5:42 . Similiar to that
Fsmash is extremely slow and would be more of a bigger commitment. if you dtilt max distance and they buffer anything (should work because they are too close to the ground) or airdodge then the fair is guaranteed so their best option would be to hold down and shield...and if they do that you cross their shield with the foward air and you are still safe (you even b reverse Bite them from behind sometimes in some scenarios)

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
In training mode, I recently discovered something very peculiar... It seems that when you time a Fair right before he lands, with frame perfect accuracy, Dtilt becomes a guaranteed followup (I tested this against Marth.) The timing is extremely strict; I, for one had difficulty in replicating it. TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder , does Wario get shield advantage when he performs this technique? It is visually very different and almost seems as if the Fair is being autocancelled. I would also like to express how useful the Roll Cancel Dash Grab technique is, especially for tech-chase situations. I believe Roll Cancel Grab should be used much more often. It's worth noting that SH Fair can true combo into a RCDG at mid percents.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Frame syncing can only be done when hitting an opponent, not on a shield. As a result, the best frame advantage you can get on a shielding opponent with F-Air is -10 (in which you're better off doing N-Air instead).

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
Frame syncing can only be done when hitting an opponent, not on a shield. As a result, the best frame advantage you can get on a shielding opponent with F-Air is -10 (in which you're better off doing N-Air instead).
I didn't know Wario could frame cancel his Fair! Can Wario frame cancel his Uair? Thanks!

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Adrian Marin Adrian Marin All aerials can be frame cancelled. U-air is probably the easiest to do (since you can get it pretty often with Lylat platforms), but not easy enough to be able to practically time consistently out of short hop.

Tayman

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if landing the waft on a opponent has different knockback then ,hitting them with wario on the waft launch

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Very much so. The initial hit is noticeably stronger. 27%, a much more horizontal angle, and way higher base knockback. The rising hit deals 20%, sends people upward, and has lower kase knockback.

Top Bottom