• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Wry Mustache Man: Dominating Strategies Discussion

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Random but just some observations I've made that aren't completely intuitive. You can short hop chomp anyone on the secondary/mid-leveled platforms on all competitive stages, even dreamland. Secondly, if you full hop air-dodge and max waft, it will hit any character in the game in their standing neutral animation, even greninja. It looks absolutely ridiculous, and really abuses the downward disjoint of waft to its fullest.

Last edited:

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Does A-landing effect air dodge landing lag? If so it might be worth getting into. I was labbing it and i think it makes a difference but with warios weird air dodge I'm not sure. I'm willing to lab it forward obviously, I just wanna know what information already exists.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Random but just some observations I've made that aren't completely intuitive. You can short hop chomp anyone on the secondary/mid-leveled platforms on all competitive stages, even dreamland. Secondly, if you full hop air-dodge and max waft, it will hit any character in the game in their standing neutral animation, even greninja. It looks absolutely ridiculous, and really abuses the downward disjoint of waft to its fullest.
Fullhop immediate Full Waft, or at the peak of his jump?

Does A-landing effect air dodge landing lag? If so it might be worth getting into. I was labbing it and i think it makes a difference but with warios weird air dodge I'm not sure. I'm willing to lab it forward obviously, I just wanna know what information already exists.
I think it depends on if an airdodge is interruptible at the end; I'm not sure all of them are. Shorthop immediate airdodge gives you something like three frames after the airdodge landing lag ends, but then there's no autocancel necessary.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Fullhop immediate Full Waft, or at the peak of his jump?
Full hop-->Buffer air dodge during jumpsquat-->Buffer Max Waft during the air-dodge cool down. You'll still be really high in the air, but max waft still reaches low enough to hit any opponent.

Wario is in the air for a total of 53 frames. Airdodge is 32 frames in length with 5 frames of ending vulnerability (inv. from 3-27, iasa 33). Waft hitbox comes out on frame 9 with armor starting on frame 5 (4 frames of startup). So basically, full hop and airdodge, the opponent then has 9 frames to punish you before you reach your 37th frame of being in the air. Not saying it's the best approach to landing the waft, but if you're stuck with max waft and need to use waft, this is just a really weird way to use it that will surely leave your opponent salty. Wario might also be able to short hop-->air-dodge-->max waft from platforms and still be able to abuse the max waft's disjoint, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Fair ends only 5 frames later than air-dodge, so combining this with the fact that max waft can hit any character in the game, no matter how short, one might be able to full-hop fair someone's shield and then buffer a max waft for a potential shield break. If you full hop fair and remain over their shield, they might try to punish you, but that's where superarmor could help. Just an idea, haven't tried it out.

Last edited:

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Today I somehow managed to drop through the platoform and bike at the same time. I did a weird bike drive throught the platform somehow drove diagonal downward thought it.

Can anyone explain what happened? I drove at an angle that seemed impossible.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Did you record it? Did you drop through before you stopped pulling out the Bike?
It was a tournament match and wasn't my wii u so I did not as I would not have been able to do anything with it. It was really strange I somehow drove at a diagonal downward angle like 225 degrees or something. It was strange, I'm gonna try to replicated it

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
It happens to me too sometimes, but I don't pay much attention to it. Next time it happens I'll see what I've done

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
It happens to me too sometimes, but I don't pay much attention to it. Next time it happens I'll see what I've done
It was like driving off at regular speed but going through the platform? but it was almost like I drove straight down, I can't replicate it. It's really cool though and I'd like to know how to do it again.

Snorley

Smash Cadet
It was a tournament match and wasn't my wii u so I did not as I would not have been able to do anything with it. It was really strange I somehow drove at a diagonal downward angle like 225 degrees or something. It was strange, I'm gonna try to replicated it
i have seen this before, i will keep you updated if i find the clip again

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
They just removed the ground-state glitch and leaving us without any buffs...

"I wanted to make Wario stronger of course!" - Sakurai 2016

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
well it was a glitch after all, still it's a shame

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
What do you guys think of fighting Corrin so far? Here are my thoughts:

• Wario is good at camping her out, since her movement speed is kinda slow and her projectile is easy as hell to avoid. Speaking of her projectile. Chomping it is completely safe unless she is right next to you, it's a very laggy move.
  • Corrin is all bark and no bite. Well there is definitely a bite. But a lot of Corrin's "terrifyingly good options" are snuffed by shield pretty frigging hard. Wait for Corrin to do something unsafe and punish accordingly. Her grab isn't very threatening since none of them have followups, but watch out since she does have decent kill throws in uthrow and dthrow.
  • Jab is annoying as hell
  • When Corrin is pinned from her Side-B, she can charge forwards, charge backwards, and jump upwards. So if Corrin misses you with side B, DON'T DROP SHIELD.
  • A disjoint is always annoying for Wario
  • Corrin doesn't have a lot of good OOS options, so Chomp them to hell.

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
Can tethers still grab you on bike while you wheelie?

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman

• Wario is good at camping her out, since her movement speed is kinda slow and her projectile is easy as hell to avoid. Speaking of her projectile. Chomping it is completely safe unless she is right next to you, it's a very laggy move.
  • Corrin is all bark and no bite. Well there is definitely a bite. But a lot of Corrin's "terrifyingly good options" are snuffed by shield pretty frigging hard. Wait for Corrin to do something unsafe and punish accordingly. Her grab isn't very threatening since none of them have followups, but watch out since she does have decent kill throws in uthrow and dthrow.
  • When Corrin is pinned from her Side-B, she can charge forwards, charge backwards, and jump upwards. So if Corrin misses you with side B, DON'T DROP SHIELD.
You can eat every form of corrins neutral B pretty darn easy, there's almost no reason to get hit by it.

ElDood

Smash Cadet

So far, I detest fighting Corrin with a passion. Her range is so good and her normals easily keep us at bay. Getting close enough to do damage is difficult enough, and the added threat of one of the best (if not THE best) counters in the game only makes pressing your advantage all the riskier against her.

But my biggest gripe against her is that her F-Smash knocks us clean off the bike every time. The only good time to use the bike is to drive though her projectiles (while making sure the hit from her actual arm doesn't connect with you.) Otherwise, using the bike against her is pretty much a death sentence.

I would LOVE to hear what other Warios are doing or have discovered to take down this menace, because all I can do right now is camp and hope that I score a few good hits.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
So far, I detest fighting Corrin with a passion. Her range is so good and her normals easily keep us at bay. Getting close enough to do damage is difficult enough, and the added threat of one of the best (if not THE best) counters in the game only makes pressing your advantage all the riskier against her.

But my biggest gripe against her is that her F-Smash knocks us clean off the bike every time. The only good time to use the bike is to drive though her projectiles (while making sure the hit from her actual arm doesn't connect with you.) Otherwise, using the bike against her is pretty much a death sentence.

I would LOVE to hear what other Warios are doing or have discovered to take down this menace, because all I can do right now is camp and hope that I score a few good hits.
No reason the approach? then don't, you'll win for sure.

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
So I noticed that when Pikachu up-B's, his hurtbox shifts upwards, as seen here.

Does anybody know how much it actually shifts? It could give a better waft opportunity. itwouldalsobeprettyhype

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Question here, the other day someone told me that 3 stock rule set invalidates wario as a character? How true is that? Is he really worse in 3 stock?

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
Wario with 3 stocks is just as valid as 2 stock Wario.
With 3 stocks (and more time) you can use the full waft for "balancing" stocks and probably get another one before the end of the match. You can always save it for last stock, it really depends on what happens

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Wario with 3 stocks is just as valid as 2 stock Wario.
With 3 stocks (and more time) you can use the full waft for "balancing" stocks and probably get another one before the end of the match. You can always save it for last stock, it really depends on what happens
I mean landing wafts means less but at the same time you have more wafts to work with. Hard camping every single stock giving more you chances to kill your opponent at 40. Makes it hard to tell.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I honestly prefer 2 stock, kinda sucks because all my locals have 3 stock lol.

Wario has the potential to end games super fast in 2 stock, get the first stock and then kill the opponent super early with a rage-induced waft.

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
Am I the only Wah here who kinda prefers 3 stocks, instead of 2? With 3 I kinda have more chances than 2.

TheMarsh

Smash Rookie
NNID
tedsterkid
In case you guys haven't already found out, Wario can bite Bayonetta out of her heel slide kick if you bite her early enough in the move

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Yeah, Wario's waft is kinda busted in 2 stock. Take off the first stock and then kill them at 50% with a rage-induced fart.

Tayman

Smash Apprentice
since sour spot nair combos into waft and when you stale a move the knock back get reduced, shouldn't we try to stale netural air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom