• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wow I just played melee again, it is WAY better!

ADHD

Smash Hero
Dude, cant adapt. This what is happening a lot. And is very common when Melee vs Brawl arguments break out. I love melee but know Brawl is more balanced.
No I adapted too fast and too well (just shut the **** up if you are going to say something about this) that it just got boring

Triviajem, I think that some characters should overpower others... If everyone was the same popularity level, wouldn't it just suck? That ruins the point of competition, therefor brawl will die, very soon....

The only question I have now is why would sakurai downgrade the speed, after going up.

Melee for wifi!

deathborn00

Smash Apprentice
No I adapted too fast and too well (just shut the **** up if you are going to say something about this) that it just got boring

Triviajem, I think that some characters should overpower others... If everyone was the same popularity level, wouldn't it just suck? That ruins the point of competition, therefor brawl will die, very soon....

The only question I have now is why would sakurai downgrade the speed, after going up.

Melee for wifi!
just because the game is balanced doesn't mean characters won't be more popular than others. So everyone still doesn't have the same popularity level which doesn't ruin the point of competition, but since the characters are more balanced, competitions will have a more wide array of characters.

DanP828

Smash Rookie
I vs'ed cromepirate a lot and not just in Melee but also in Brawl! He's good at brawl but a lot better at melee. I get why he would go back to melee for the advanced moves they havent gotten a lot of in Brawl. But he really cant talk because he has the game and no Wii.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I vs cromepirate a lot and not just on wifi but in a regular battle with no crapy lag! He's good at brawl but a lot better at melee. I get why he would go back to melee for the advanced moves they havent gotten a lot of in Brawl. By the way J0K3R he uses shiek in melee, but he really cant talk because he has the game and no Wii.
Lol shut up dan, you didn't even spell chromepirate right

I've played the game too long enough on your system to know what I'm talking about and did you get that youtube video up? Ill post it on here too

NukeA6

Smash Master
I didn't mean that Brawl doesn't take ANY skill, it just pales in comparison to the amount that Melee requires... Brawl is a pretty simplistic game while Melee has near infinite depth.
It's too bad there's only a select few characters that are even considered competitive.

TriviaGem

Smash Rookie
"Popularity"? Did I say popularity? ^^" But anyways, I suppose that's true, but I'm not saying they should all be the same, they should all have their individual advantages and weaknesses. ...Though that would be pretty difficult to do, huh? XD But I thought competitions were meant to test the skill of the player, not the character... or am I stupid to assume that?

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Super Smash Bros. Melee : 50$

The price of the seven year sequel that disappoints you : 50 $

The money it will take for you to start your own f'ing company so YOU can make a game so fundamentally broken and fast that it can be played competitively by your ridiculously high standards : way too much

Spamming smashboards with these topics : priceless

for everything else there's GTFO card

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I didn't mean that Brawl doesn't take ANY skill, it just pales in comparison to the amount that Melee requires... Brawl is a pretty simplistic game while Melee has near infinite depth.
There no such thing as near infinite depth for two reason, first infinite can't be defined because it doesn't end which as far as programming goes you can't make a game with infinte possibitilies. And second the term depth has nothing to do with fact but perspective. It's a matter of opinion you can't 'factualize' depth.

To me, Brawl seems 'deeper' to me mostly due to my understand and awareness of things I didn't know during the majority of time I was playing Melee. Attempting to play Melee after Brawl... I just simply don't enjoy it anymore. But that's exactly the problem here, and other threads like it...

I seriously want to know what the original intent of this post is and why it seems so importent to go on about this. If you like Melee, I don't care it's all fine and good. But why is this continuing in the Brawl section consistently. To me, it looks like as if the Opener is either trying to brag and/or shove something in someone else face. But that's all simply from assumption. Tell me ChromePirate, if that isn't the case then WHY did you post this?

Maku

Smash Apprentice
LOL nontheless..
This is freaking funny too watch.
I just posted a reply not too long ago...
and it got *****, LOL!
let's see what happens to this reply.
oooH the Suspense!
o_O

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
This reminds me exactly of the Halo 1/Halo 2 vs Halo 3 discussions at Bungie.net lol.

The thing with Halo 3 and Brawl is this: They were aimed so everyone has a chance of winning. And therefore, they create elitists out of players who loved playing the previous installments competitively.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros. Melee : 50$

The price of the seven year sequel that disappoints you : 50 $

The money it will take for you to start your own f'ing company so YOU can make a game so fundamentally broken and fast that it can be played competitively by your ridiculously high standards : way too much

Spamming smashboards with these topics : priceless

for everything else there's GTFO card
win .

Fletch

Smash Master
To fletch71011: what do you mean by "depth"?
I mean that there are viable options in Melee outside of camping, and many more ways to interact with your opponents. Brawl simply removed tons of these options (i.e. l-canceling, wavedashing, dash-dancing, JC Grabs, and tons of others), and thus has become an easier, more basic game. Getting good at Brawl is a ton easier as a result than getting good at Melee, but hopefully we find some new advanced techniques to change that.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I don't get the whole more balanced thing people keep spouting out.

So far it looks like Brawl is going to be divided into tiers with a "select few" characters who are tournament viable and the rest of the cast will have a very difficult time against these characters. Just because Fox is not on the top and no one is as horrible as pichu does not mean the game is going to be more balanced at a competitive level.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
This reminds me exactly of the Halo 1/Halo 2 vs Halo 3 discussions at Bungie.net lol.

The thing with Halo 3 and Brawl is this: They were aimed so everyone has a chance of winning. And therefore, they create elitists out of players who loved playing the previous installments competitively.
Good post. I love the way people ignore the posts they can't argue against :laugh:.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I mean that there are viable options in Melee outside of camping, and many more ways to interact with your opponents. Brawl simply removed tons of these options (i.e. l-canceling, wavedashing, dash-dancing, JC Grabs, and tons of others), and thus has become an easier, more basic game. Getting good at Brawl is a ton easier as a result than getting good at Melee, but hopefully we find some new advanced techniques to change that.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f53aeimv8I0
Same old blanket statements...waah I want my Melee advanced techs waah

I don't get the whole more balanced thing people keep spouting out.

So far it looks like Brawl is going to be divided into tiers with a "select few" characters who are tournament viable and the rest of the cast will have a very difficult time against these characters. Just because Fox is not on the top and no one is as horrible as pichu does not mean the game is going to be more balanced at a competitive level.
You're kidding, right? Brawl is far more balanced than Melee. This is obvious to anyone not blinded by hatred.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Ahahahahahaha the first 20 seconds of that vid made me LOL, nice find 56K. ;)

Though it doesn't actually prove anything, seeing as fletch didn't say camping WAS NOT AN OPTION in melee, and merely stated there were other effective playstyles.

I do agree that the statement "camping = brawl" is rather wide ranging however, but unfortuantly camping, at this moment in time has few parallels when it comes to Brawling.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Can a mod please sticky a "nobody cares what you think" topic and start handing out warning to creators of topics like this please.
Well said my friend, we need one of those badly.
This is the third topic out right now about this kinda thing.
Please
1. use search function
2. SHUT THE **** UP PLEASE, WE KNOW MELEE IS FASTER, YOU DONT NEED TO TELL US, brawl just happens to be a different game.
For the 10000th time, its NOT melee 2.0

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Heh, since I guess you failed to read my other post on the thread you just posted on, i'll repost it here, just for you.

FOR THE 10000TH TIME,

No one is saying it is.

Brawl may not be Melee, but it's sure as heck the next instalment in the Smash series. Thus logically, comparisons are made between the two.

Capiché?

I agree with Mic.

Vash_15

Smash Journeyman
No Pit makes Melee Fail
No Mewtwo makes Brawl fail
Pit makes brawl win
mewtwo makes melee win

HOLY $#!+

Cenedar

Smash Ace
So you like Melee better? Good for you, whoop-de-f***ing-doo.

Did we need another one of these threads? Really? REALLY?

Search next time, kthxbai

Fletch

Smash Master
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f53aeimv8I0
Same old blanket statements...waah I want my Melee advanced techs waah
I assume you are posting that video to show that camping is an option in Melee, but what does that prove? This is just one matchup, and when Mango takes you to "Mangoland" against his Jiggles, of course he's going to camp, and it only really lasts for thirty seconds anyways. I could post a million more matches with display all the different options and playstyles that are viable in Melee, but right now it just seems as if camping/spamming in Brawl cannot be beat. Hopefully this changes as we adjust to the game, but it's an extremely dominant strategy with no current strong counter.

You're kidding, right? Brawl is far more balanced than Melee. This is obvious to anyone not blinded by hatred.
I usually like reading your posts 56k, but seriously come on. Right now with the loss of a lot of Melee's ATs and general camp dominance, it looks like there is going to be a humongous division on the tiers. AT's in Melee made so many lower tiers viable by speeding them up and giving them more options against the higher tiers (ICs, Ganondorf, Luigi, hell even Mewtwo). Without these, there would have been quite a big difference in their abilities, and the gap would have widened. The campiness of Brawl is also going to lead to a couple characters outclassing the others (namely Toon Link, Snake, and Pit to name a few).

For example, take a Toon Link versus a Ganon... The Toon Link has no incentive but to spam projectiles all day against the Ganon, force him to approach, then just easily powershield or even miss the powershield and just shieldgrab, rinse and repeat. Toon Link doesn't even have to bother with the shielding, he can easily just run away all day and camp Ganon to death.

Top Bottom