• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would learning a high tier character make me a better player?

Darkest Rival

Smash Rookie
i think higher tier characters are just more fun to play anyways... lower tiers dont seem to offer much. they will always dominate major tourneys so you might as well pick one up, its that simple.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
You'll be a much better player if you learn from your mistakes. I say if you're going to learn to use a high-tiered character, you'll be better, so long as you learn one. It'll also be better choosing a HT character with a similar playstyle to Peach, because you won't need such drastic changes when playing. Maining, not so sure.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
ok i don't believe in tiers myself because i think they are stupid. u can play well with any character u take time to use and get to know their move set. of course there are certain characters people are naturally good with. (i'm good with marth and wolf) so ur best bet is to just experiment with other characters.

p.s. as to ur problem try not o think so hard when playing save ur mental strength for a good finishing combo that can win u the match. (just my thought on how ta help)
We need more players like you on these boards. Fresh and unbiased. Thank you.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
You're maining Peach. You have to realize that you are purposely handicapping yourself in regards to achieving victory.

Pick a Top Tier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

Imagine a tournament like a war and the characters are your weapon.
Metaknight is a rocket launcher.
Snake is a automatic rifle.
Peach is a baseball bat.

There you go.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I disagree.

See Daigo and every other Japanese player who only uses one character.

Grimmspada

Smash Rookie
ok i don't believe in tiers myself because i think they are stupid. u can play well with any character u take time to use and get to know their move set. of course there are certain characters people are naturally good with. (i'm good with marth and wolf) so ur best bet is to just experiment with other characters.

p.s. as to ur problem try not o think so hard when playing save ur mental strength for a good finishing combo that can win u the match. (just my thought on how ta help)
QFT, just play who you like and try to get smart and get better that way, but if you use super crappy characters, I guess theres no choice lol

ch33s3

Smash Lord
If you want to calm yourself down and teach yourself to "stick to the plan" so to speak, pick up the ICs for a while.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
drk pch your peach is much better than so much other ppls peachs i think it would be much harder to fight an unknown matchup then fighting a character ppl play all the time

zeldspazz

Smash Master
You're maining Peach. You have to realize that you are purposely handicapping yourself in regards to achieving victory.

Pick a Top Tier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

Imagine a tournament like a war and the characters are your weapon.
Metaknight is a rocket launcher.
Snake is a automatic rifle.
Peach is a baseball bat.

There you go.
Listen to this man.

I mean, after all, Ness has a baseball bat too. And we all know how bad he is doing on the tier list, amiright?

No but seriously I think he's right.

The Waddle Dee

Smash Rookie
I would say no. I usually use Toon Link , Kirby, and Pikachu just like you. I'm good with all of them, but I think you should choose who like and master their moves :)

sman5093

Smash Apprentice
yes no doubt about it! u can improve ur skills by learning other characters too. this way new can find out which character suits u best.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
better character = you do better (by a little bit) = you play more against better people = you learn more, quicker

with a snowball effect afterwards till you peak

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
better character = you do better (by a little bit) = you play more against better people = you learn more, quicker

with a snowball effect afterwards till you peak
And here is the version that most of the community believes:

"better character = you win every time automatically no character below you can ever beat you = you win more against all better people = you instantly become a perfectly flawless player

with an 'immediately' effect."

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
lol at all the people that didn't get the OP.

You probably aren't reading this thread anymore Drk.Peach but i'll still post this advice for people who might need it.

Keeping constant absolute focus during a match is very hard not to mention a set. To make it last longer you have pre-match technics like meditation or thing that put you in a good mood. The most reliable long lasting solution is to train your focusing strength and endurance during frendlies by straining it to it's max.

Now what you should do DURING a match is to play mostly instinctivly (meaning using mainly muscle memory) and leave the intense focusing for the important moments (like when he's in the lead or in a disadvantageous position where you can get the kill or lots of damage). It should give you an optimal focus reward.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Playing top tier doesn't make YOU better, your just using a better "weapon" so to speak. It won't improve your skill, because you don't have to use as much effort, skill etc. into using those characters. Take for ex. mk and link, which is harder to play with? link of course, mk is given practically everything he needs in every situation. Learning to play with low tier characters helps you do with less, this way when you are given more (ussing a top tier character) you learn how to use things more wisely.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily will it make you a better player. If you want to main characters that require many AT's (like Falco, Diddy, etc.) then yes, you will get better at some things while other things are more character specific (Marth doesn't have bananas, you know). However, playing characters like MK does little to improve your skills that could be improved with any other character IMO. So from an AT standpoint, yes, playing higher tier characters will improve, but not all. It depends on who you normally main too.

Forgive my uneducated analysis.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Legit read. I had this happen to me @ Phase 6. I entered a match-up against a Luigi (and I know the match-up fairly well) so I kinda had high hopes. First stock 0-death and I only took 16% with my Kirby; I was practically stylin' on him. And then I lost it? >_> I was focused and after that first stock I guess I felt kinda drained? I was doing ok but I guess I strained my mental-ness?

I figure I'll drop down the tier list some more and work on someone who needs huge amts of mental focus to win to 'exercise' and condition my mental capacity.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
In case someone hasn't said it, just pick MK. He's basically your brain in character form, and you're really only punished by dumb mistakes rather than character flaws.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
In case someone hasn't said it, just pick MK. He's basically your brain in character form, and you're really only punished by dumb mistakes rather than character flaws.
Not all brains work like Metaknight players'. I'd imagine DEHF or someone of that sort to actually be worse at MK than their main in all eventuality simply because of the defensive/offensive/whatnot playstyle they have for approaching the game.

But I do agree, use what technique you feel is strongest in approaching the game and find the character that best applies to that perspective. I'd imagine Overswarm uses MK because he thinks of a controlling physical style with planking as a defense as the best way he plays the game.

Overswarm, shut up. You lost to a Sonic
Flaming on a guy because he loses while an entire community is watching not only in person but LIVE and mentally going "LOSE LOSE LOSE" is not very fair. I doubt you'd beat him with Sonic in an environment without an audience pressure on either of you. That's just my honest opinion.

Dark Peach, ignore what character you're best with currently. Think what character's playstyle appeals to you most. What's your favorite aerial, what's your favorite position relative to an opponent, what's your playstyle exactly (ask a friend about that one imo). Now determine the character that's right for you and take it a notch up for the hell of seeing what comes of it. Then go back to peach and decide whether you still want to use Peach or to stick with the newcomer to see what happens with it.

Edit: I remember meeting Bigfoot (California DK main that's ranked) not so long ago and he was using Snake in tournament. ONLY Snake. I was like "Why aren't you DK? You're ranked with him!". Well think about it, it's just like Ally trying to pick up MK. He wants to find the character that he's strongest with in the end. The strongest potential. When you exhaust your character's worth, you either are doing something wrong that'll be hard to find (and probably will most easily be found by taking a break and evaluating the character).
Or you need to switch mains.

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
BESIDES the fact that Drk. Peach has had trouble with higher tier chatacters and all that...exactly how often does he use Peach again? Maybe...almost all the time? And he's been having more trouble that before lately?

I'd say that it could be that everyone is not only getting plenty of experience with Peach matchups, but people Drk. Peach tends to Brawl is getting much too used to his playstyle.

Huh. Another reason to try new characters from time to time. It could..."refresh" Drk. Peach's Peach. Also, Drk. Peach mentioned getting tired of his usual playstyle. When THIS is in effect and he's trying an entirely new aggressive playstyle, he's pretty much doomed himself for trying something he doesn't normally do, and the fact that it's aggressive makes it all the more punishable (after all, Brawl doesn't exactly encourage aggressive approaches, right?). Trying new characters might work better than learning an entirely different playstyle, but you could practice both.

Then again, what would I know about competitive Brawl? I'm just a Taunt Partyist, lol

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
One thing you should know about Brawl is that Sonic can't do anything about downtilt.
he will never win

ever

at any point

forever

Top Bottom