• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Song Ever?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
"My Pal Foot Foot" by the Shaggs is the best and worst song ever put to tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9UT2zF8c8
WHAT THE ****!!!! I just copied the url to a picture of their album to post. Biggest ninja EVER!

My mind is seriously blown away. Right now. Well, I guess I should hop on the Shaggs wagon anyways:

I own this on CD and "It's Halloween!" is infinitely fun to blare on the holiday. Annoys the hell out of everyone including yourself and your dog. The Shaggs are the worst group ever. The cringing sounds of their guitar work, galactically offbeat drums, and unmatched voices are burned into my mind.
"Blister in the Sun" by....well I don't know or care who it's by. It's an a guy with an annoying whiny and screechy voice saying something that doesn't make sense for 3 minutes with someone who has no clue how to play a guitar randomly strumming garbage in the background. This "song" serves no purpose other than to make me wish I was deaf.
What the ****? "Worst songs ever?" The Shaggs, Violent Femmes, ****ing Ween? Are you sure you guys didn't mean to click on the "Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested" thread?

This was one of the choices that came to my mind. I'm surprised no one has posted this gem yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G1uEPtumI0
But Batman makes up for it.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Syd Barrett's worst material is better than anything that Floyd did after he left and they hired David Gilmour.

*edit: blah, typos abound. sorry*
Bike is a good song, as are a lot of Barret songs. But you're just being contrarian to say everything they've done (i.e. the only material 90% of people have heard) since is worse than some of Barret's stupid acid crap. There came a point where he wasn't trying.

Great Gig in the Sky, Dogs, and Echoes all top Barret's work I have to say.

Spire

III
BRoomer
What the ****? "Worst songs ever?" The Shaggs, Violent Femmes, ****ing Ween? Are you sure you guys didn't mean to click on the "Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested" thread?

This was one of the choices that came to my mind. I'm surprised no one has posted this gem yet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G1uEPtumI0
But Batman makes up for it.
You can't deny that The Shaggs are truly terrible. Yes, they're amazing in a campy, esoteric way, but they are nevertheless really, really bad.

But yeah, Ween popping up in this thread is just ********. Glad to see Chacaron made its way into this thread, but it's too silly to be "worst song ever".

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Becuase that matters SO much when the band is only 40 years old.
Well, actually, it kind of does. Truth is, the Pink Floyd sound as everyone knows it was honestly formed after Barret left. He wrote some brilliant songs, but they are mostly far too alienating to resonate with most people. Dark Side is iconic, The Wall is iconic, Wish You Were Here is iconic, Animals is iconic, Echoes is iconic. Saucerful of Secrets? Not so much. I don't know what the age of the band has to do with anything.

Are you telling me you have a bigger emotional response to a song like "Bike" than say, "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"?

PS: and whoever lumped the Shaggs in with Violent Femmes and Ween is a complete ******. The Shaggs were teenaged girls whose father forced them to be in a band because of a palm-reading prophecy. It's a very interesting story but if you are saying their music is worthwhile out of that context you are either being ironic or are stupid.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Are you telling me you have a bigger emotional response to a song like "Bike" than say, "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"?
No, in fact, Great Gig in the Sky is the only song I like by them any more. What I'm saying is you can't judge a band's 'most notable' work so quickly. Mozart was most known in his life time for being a child hood prodigy, but was not very respected in his adult hood. His operas were very unpopular for the most part. His music was published because of his celebrity, but almost always they were closed down in 3 showings because of a lack of audience past the first night. Even now, some of Mozart's most unknown pieces are now catching incredibly popularity, spiking up the debate that had allegedly died about 50 to 100 years ago about weather Mozart or Beethoven was the greatest composer of their time.

If Pink Floyd survives when the generation that listened to them has passed on (there is a huge market for seniors wanting to recapture their youth, as that generation dies out, the market's effect on the popularity of the piece begins to decline, it takes time, lots of time to see what will last and what will fade, a lot longer than our life time) there is no guarantee that people will regard Roger Waters run Pink Floyd more important than Sydd Barret run Pink Floyd.

As for the Shaggs, if you guys think there form is off and wonky, some people actually aim to make sounds like that.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
If Pink Floyd survives when the generation that listened to them has passed on (there is a huge market for seniors wanting to recapture their youth, as that generation dies out, the market's effect on the popularity of the piece begins to decline, it takes time, lots of time to see what will last and what will fade, a lot longer than our life time) there is no guarantee that people will regard Roger Waters run Pink Floyd more important than Sydd Barret run Pink Floyd.

As for the Shaggs, if you guys think there form is off and wonky, some people actually aim to make sounds like that.
While you are correct, I think that line of thinking is completely irrelevant in this case. As you said, neither of us will be alive in the time frame you are talking about. So what does it matter? Are we not allowed to critique or laud a work of art until a certain amount of time has passed? That is ridiculous.

And the Shaggs are not some avant-garde garage rock band. They had literally no musical talent. The main appeal of the Shaggs is a 'punk rock', DIY kind of ethic, but they seem to be misrepresented. I see a lot of people praising their album as if it's just too deep and "out there" to get. In actuality, all of that is coincidental. This is coming from someone who gets "My Pal Foot Foot" stuck in his head. Read up on the band's story and upbringing.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
As you said, neither of us will be alive in the time frame you are talking about. So what does it matter? Are we not allowed to critique or laud a work of art until a certain amount of time has passed? That is ridiculous.
We are allowed to critque, but you can't make the case that "oh, most people know that album more, its the more important." James Joyce's most important book few will ever complete, or get past the first 3 pages (even my English professor) because of the vast amount of experimentation, from coming up with his own language, traveling back and forth in time without alert to the reader, sometimes mid sentence, using sentence fragments, among hundreds of other largely unconventional things that make it so no one has yet even figured out how to pull the plot out of it. However, many of these experiments would come to identify modern literature.

Popularity is never an argument in the arts. Popularity proves nothing about its importance or lack of importance, value or lack of value, skill or lack of skill.

They had literally no musical talent.
Define talent. From where I stand, Weezer doesn't either. The guy can barely carry a tune, the lyrics are annoying and lack any regard to musical substance in terms of syllable usage, and all of the other instruments play very, very basic things that any armature musician can play. I fail to see where there talent comes in.

The main appeal of the Shaggs is a 'punk rock', DIY kind of ethic, but they seem to be misrepresented. I see a lot of people praising their album as if it's just too deep and "out there" to get. In actuality, all of that is coincidental. This is coming from someone who gets "My Pal Foot Foot" stuck in his head. Read up on the band's story and upbringing.
It is too out there for most to get, because for most listeners, anyone stepping outside the realms of traditionally harmony, tuning, and rhythm is not something there ears can understand. In the regard it is too deep. Here are a few examples from an opera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjc-rMpmCpY

Also, the bands history and intention isn't an argument either. Some of the most important electronical music ever made was done by a man who made children albums, Bruce Haack. His intention was not to make electronical music something great, but to make fun sounds for children to enjoy. Yet the synths and sound engenering he did was incredibly important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj1cn9e5hDA

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Would you call giddy joy a "bigger emotional response" than bored senseless? If so, then yes, I do have a bigger emotional response to Bike.

PS: and whoever lumped the Shaggs in with Violent Femmes and Ween is a complete ******.
Hello again.

The Shaggs were teenaged girls whose father forced them to be in a band because of a palm-reading prophecy. It's a very interesting story but if you are saying their music is worthwhile out of that context you are either being ironic or are stupid.
So?

I never called you ******** or stupid for liking Pink Floyd.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
We are allowed to critque, but you can't make the case that "oh, most people know that album more, its the more important." James Joyce's most important book few will ever complete, or get past the first 3 pages (even my English professor) because of the vast amount of experimentation, from coming up with his own language, traveling back and forth in time without alert to the reader, sometimes mid sentence, using sentence fragments, among hundreds of other largely unconventional things that make it so no one has yet even figured out how to pull the plot out of it. However, many of these experiments would come to identify modern literature.

Popularity is never an argument in the arts. Popularity proves nothing about its importance or lack of importance, value or lack of value, skill or lack of skill.
Good point. I wasn't really arguing that the more popular albums were more "important" though. I'm kind of sick of arguing, because it is futile and based on taste, and I just believe the later Floyd albums had much more thought, feeling and time put into them. Hence, why they caught on more than Syd Barret tripping balls, ringing bells and singing about bikes and mice.

I'm not sure why Ulysses is so loved either.

Define talent. From where I stand, Weezer doesn't either. The guy can barely carry a tune, the lyrics are annoying and lack any regard to musical substance in terms of syllable usage, and all of the other instruments play very, very basic things that any armature musician can play. I fail to see where there talent comes in.

It is too out there for most to get, because for most listeners, anyone stepping outside the realms of traditionally harmony, tuning, and rhythm is not something there ears can understand. In the regard it is too deep. Here are a few examples from an opera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjc-rMpmCpY

Also, the bands history and intention isn't an argument either. Some of the most important electronical music ever made was done by a man who made children albums, Bruce Haack. His intention was not to make electronical music something great, but to make fun sounds for children to enjoy. Yet the synths and sound engenering he did was incredibly important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj1cn9e5hDA
Annoying lyrics is a subjective thing and has nothing to do with talent. Weezer, however, can keep in time (as simple as that time may be) and play their instruments (as simple as their parts may be). The Shaggs can barely do either. They wouldn't be able to cover a Weezer song. Well, they could but I imagine it would sound like the anal dumpings that is their original catalogue. Again this is subjective, but any brilliance you seem to be getting from The Shaggs is purely accidental.

But, it is true what you say regarding intentions/context of the artist and the total worth of the art itself. And if The Shaggs' music makes you feel something or makes you think, then lucky you. To me, it would only be slightly less rubbish if the band were all musical geniuses delving into the depths of experimentation. I think the band's backstory was warranted in this case because you cannot compare a band like that to Ween or something like that.

aquanesia

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised it took the thread this long to degenerate into arguing, I was ready to after someone said Blister in the Sun is the worst song ever.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I'm surprised it took the thread this long to degenerate into arguing, I was ready to after someone said Blister in the Sun is the worst song ever.
They have much better songs on their debut, like my personal favorites "Kiss Off" and "Please Do Not Go" and even from the rest of their catalog, but I agree and am surprised too.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I wish I had a Luigitoilet in my house :)

I see no real point arguing over the Shaggs. A rich father wanted his three musically inept daughters to make an album, so he rented out a studio and had them record a dozen amateurly written songs in a day's length. That's it. They weren't some genius group who tried to push the limits as far as possible and make purposely terrible sounding music. They were simply bad. The end.

Ween is my all-time favorite band. Seen the guys live, own all of their albums, and can't find a reason to dislike them
even for La Cucaracha...
. They're creative geniuses. They're able to create dirty, gritty, comedic music (in Ween lingo, 'brown') and get you to like it. The Pod is an absolute spectacle of an album and I've listened to it probably more than any other Ween record. It's low-fi, trashy, yet all the while interesting and beautiful at parts. If you've ever had the chance of diving into the hundred+ outtakes from their different recording eras, you can read so much further into the body of work that they were going for around the time of each album.

Pre-record label/GWS era = GodWeenSatan
Pod Era = The Pod, Bilboa (unofficial Pod outtakes), and Pure Guava
C&C era = Chocolate & Cheese, early 12GCG and Mollusk works
12GCG era = 12 Golden Country Greats
Mollusk era = The Mollusk, Craters of the Sac, early White Pepper
"pop" era = White Pepper, early Quebec
Quebec era = Quebec
the roach era = Friends EP & La Cucaracha

Then of course the beautiful Shinola crept its way into the time between Quebec and Friends/Cucaracha with remastered/rerecorded outtakes dating back to the GWS era. And now I await Shinola Vol. 2.

Anyways, I just found myself going on about Ween for whatever reason. Perhaps it's to prove that comparing them to The Shaggs or anything in this thread is bull**** and should warrant an arrest. Ween is almighty; fear the Boognish.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The Pod is an absolute spectacle of an album and I've listened to it probably more than any other Ween record. It's low-fi, trashy, yet all the while interesting and beautiful at parts.
That's lo-fi, poseur! Go back to the Pitchfork forums :p

But I agree on Ween. The Pod is my second favorite album by them, but my absolute favorite has got to be The Mollusk. One of the greatest rock albums ever released, without a doubt (the Pod is also one of those).

Spire

III
BRoomer
That's lo-fi, poseur! Go back to the Pitchfork forums :p

But I agree on Ween. The Pod is my second favorite album by them, but my absolute favorite has got to be The Mollusk. One of the greatest rock albums ever released, without a doubt (the Pod is also one of those).
I can't believe I added a 'w'. I guess I was so excited to play the Queen download pack on Rock Band that I rushed through and added it.

The Pod and The Mollusk are the staple Ween albums in my opinion. Both are their overall strongest and most unified and oh man... they're so awesome. Pure Guava is also delicious.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
This is the most amazingly awesome song in history. When you first hear it, you will be like "Oh sweet merciful heaven! How could I have lived my entire life without this song?" But the song gets extremely old after the first time hearing it. When you hear it once, you probably wont want to hear it again.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Guitarzan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq1snyaPle0&NR=1

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
This is the most amazingly awesome song in history. When you first hear it, you will be like "Oh sweet merciful heaven! How could I have lived my entire life without this song?" But the song gets extremely old after the first time hearing it. When you hear it once, you probably wont want to hear it again.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Guitarzan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq1snyaPle0&NR=1
I love this song.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I came across this craziness while searching on iTunes for some Army Of the Pharaohs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Z3Y1FMBlM

If not worst song then worst stage performance. Just a bunch of dudes with long hair leaping at the crowd. Forgive me if this is your kind of music, but to me this just sounds like a bunch of angry and drunk gorillas.

Plus, what the hell does "Inbreeding the Anthropophagi" mean?

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
Any song by the Jonas Brothers. Why, in the name of Angemon, did Disney executives think those bozos would even make it on the charts?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Its the same as The Monkeys man. Taking an identifiable image, making a show and music to go along with it. All Disney did was rip of The Monkeys with a modern lemon twist.

Snail

Smash Lord
I can't believe there's a ****ing Pink Floyd song in this thread. Syd Barett and Roger Waters would both make better music with a freaking broom up their ***** than Lady Gaga or someone equally pathetic. Barett an Waters have issues and not everything they do is made of gold, but they're both brilliant and do not belong in this thread :c Sorry if I'm too adamant about this but I cannot get anyone get away with calling Bike worse than all the manure in this thread....

OT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6qpgLvH30

It's called "crunkcore" apparently. My god this is the worst crap I've ever heard xD

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Already posted Brokencyde.
Crunkcore is nothing compared to Happycore, which is basically Brittany spears songs with genric rave beats on top of them.

Top Bottom