• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst part of Super Smash Bros 4? Game is out everywhere, go ape ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
The worst part? Fan entitlement and expectations. It's hard for me to recognize "fans" when all they do is whine about what aspects of the game don't meet their specific desires. I don't blame anyone for wanting something from the game, but to demand it and trash the game/developers if you don't get it? That's silly, at best.

I really want Isaac to be playable. I really want(ed) another story driven adventure mode. I really want the game to be more casual than competitive. However, if I get none of those things, I'm more than willing to enjoy what I do get.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I hate Marth clone aka Lucina. I love her in Awakening but her whole Marth facade doesn't add up especially when Chrom was the one her taught her how to fight. Something Sakurai totally missed when he claimed her fighting style was "in her blood".
The whole "her fighting style is similar to ____" thing is a bit confusing, to be honest. :p The in-game cutscene states that she learned to fight from Chrom and they each use the same attacks, but in the actual battle animations, she and Chrom have different animations while she and Marth (DLC) have identical animations. Beyond her fighting style, though, there are a number of reasons as to why her being a Marth clone makes some logical sense - and remember that she was built to share Marth's animations as she was originally a costume, so she was stuck with his moveset either way. It would've been nicer to have something a bit more unique (of course), but I'm stoked about having my most anticipated character in the game regardless. :)

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Melee to Brawl also cut two instead of just inflating the roster. The only confirmed cut from Brawl to 4 so far is Snake, if I've heard correctly.

And like I think I've made fairly clear, the "big deal" is that it's one more Pokemon instead of one more F-Zero racer or one more giant space pterodactyl or one more swordsman or one more chimpanzee.
So you dont believe squirtle and Ivysaur are cut? We'll at least someone believes in them.

Silent Hell

Smash Cadet
The whole "her fighting style is similar to ____" thing is a bit confusing, to be honest. :p The in-game cutscene states that she learned to fight from Chrom and they each use the same attacks, but in the actual battle animations, she and Chrom have different animations while she and Marth (DLC) have identical animations. Beyond her fighting style, though, there are a number of reasons as to why her being a Marth clone makes some logical sense - and remember that she was built to share Marth's animations as she was originally a costume, so she was stuck with his moveset either way. It would've been nicer to have something a bit more unique (of course), but I'm stoked about having my most anticipated character in the game regardless. :)
I figured Marth was made after the fact in that game and they gave him her animations in order to achieve the same effect. Regardless of the circumstance, the in game cutscenes holds more merit than her actual animations because all classes share the same animations with a few minor exceptions.

TheSoraKid

Banned via Warnings
The worst part? Fan entitlement and expectations. It's hard for me to recognize "fans" when all they do is whine about what aspects of the game don't meet their specific desires. I don't blame anyone for wanting something from the game, but to demand it and trash the game/developers if you don't get it? That's silly, at best.

I really want Isaac to be playable. I really want(ed) another story driven adventure mode. I really want the game to be more casual than competitive. However, if I get none of those things, I'm more than willing to enjoy what I do get.
If only more people think like you. :bee:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Speculation. :(

Some players, such as myself, who main characters, like Peach and Ike, continue to dread how they would turn out in this iteration, compared to the previous, given their lack of gameplay footage.

Oh, well. I will admit, though, that it is, to some extent, exciting. ^-^

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

Well, If the game developers want OUR money, then they have to satisfy OUR desires!

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Well, If the game developers want OUR money, then they have to satisfy OUR desires!
"Our" implies a collective desire, one that's universal (and such wants are few and far between in Smash). Obviously, video games are meant to be enjoyed and should cater somewhat to what fans will like, but I take issue with individuals who complain about their specific expectations.

As far as your money, if you don't like what they make, then certainly don't buy it. I fault no one there. Just don't throw a fit and expect everyone to care that you're taking your money elsewhere.

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
"Our" implies a collective desire, one that's universal (and such wants are few and far between in Smash). Obviously, video games are meant to be enjoyed and should cater somewhat to what fans will like, but I take issue with individuals who complain about their specific expectations.

As far as your money, if you don't like what they make, then certainly don't buy it. I fault no one there. Just don't throw a fit and expect everyone to care that you're taking your money elsewhere.
You make a valid point, but one point doesn't make a forum. Many of the smashers that've posted something have also(most likely) had someone agree with them. Also, at least no one has said something stupid like wanting an anime character in smash. (No offense to someone who did) The only thing bothering me for smash 4 is that Ness hasn't been confirmed, but There is a -1,000,000% chance he won't be in the next game. Mother/Earthbound's popularity has grown too much, to the point of it being on the eshop. But who cares? Little Mac is in the next one!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ultimately I'd say the thing that bothers me the most is how the development was split into two games instead of focusing all the time and effort into one game that has it all.

Silent Hell

Smash Cadet
I gotta say probably another thing that I don't necessarily hate or care for are the unrealistic newcomer lists people create. I know we've had a couple whammies but some are just plain unrealistic.

Servine

Smash Cadet
The lack of cross platform play. I know, it would be very difficult to have it work, but it'd be great if it did.
A close second would be the inability to use Miis online, I mean, they could've just let you use the preset Guest Miis.

Servine

Smash Cadet
thatd eats the purpose of Mii, tho. Right?
Well, the purpose of the Miis was to allow you to play as anyone, but because of potentially offensive Miis, they couldn't allow Miis online. The option to use Guest Miis is really just an alternative as you can't change them, plus they're built into every Wii U system, so there's no real danger there.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Well, the purpose of the Miis was to allow you to play as anyone, but because of potentially offensive Miis, they couldn't allow Miis online. The option to use Guest Miis is really just an alternative as you can't change them, plus they're built into every Wii U system, so there's no real danger there.
another thing is custom movesets cant be used online, i dont think its confirmed that miis have no defult moveset

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I hate the existence of custom moves. More specifically, the amount of development time that goes into them. At least they aren't really being balanced and are specifically just to play around with. I just feel like everyone will look back and think, "oh, yeah. That existed..." like they do with Stage Builder, where the majority of players touched them for a day or two and left for more relevant things.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Worst part is probably Yellow Devil and Boss Hazards in general I think.

They should only appear once in battle but have them not disappear until defeated. Also make them rare.

Renji64

Smash Lord

you are getting the more casual part how dare people not be happy with things made them like the game/series are removed.

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
The lack of cross platform play. I know, it would be very difficult to have it work, but it'd be great if it did.
A close second would be the inability to use Miis online, I mean, they could've just let you use the preset Guest Miis.

I think Miis are only not allowed on "For Glory" mode. Glory mode is only final destination. I smell 4 way :4littlemac:matches

Edit: That guest Mii thing is a great idea.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582

The developers are artists in a way. Like many famous painters/artist they have been paid throughout history to create certain settings or murals since the beginning of time. If you requisitioned an artist to paint a picture of you and your family and he/she painted a a tree instead with none of your family members on the canvas would you not be demanding of what you asked for? The artist is free to paint/develop whatever they want. That doesn't mean people have to pay for it. You should get what you pay for.

Nintendo is well aware of what the casual and competetive scene want. You can still be a casual player and have melee like elements that are not used. No one is forcing anyone to wave dash or L cancel. You can play casually with your friends and pretend like they don't exist. You can never do over a 30% combo and turn every item on very high and play hyrule temple every match for all we care. The competetive community of smash could care less if you want to be a casual player for the rest of your smash play time. Yet, there are several threads and hundreds of posts of casual players bashing competetive players talking about the competetive aspects they feel the game is missing so far. That's the problem with all the die hard "I'll take whatever they spoon feed me" fanboys. If I'm going to pay 60 dollars for a game, 20 dollars for the gamecube controller adapter, and 30 dollars for the new smash controller- you can bet your f'in ass I'm going to be demanding of a product that I don't want to collect dust.

/rant

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
The developers are artists in a way. Like many famous painters/artist they have been paid throughout history to create certain settings or murals since the beginning of time. If you requisitioned an artist to paint a picture of you and your family and he/she painted a a tree instead with none of your family members on the canvas would you not be demanding of what you asked for? The artist is free to paint/develop whatever they want. That doesn't mean people have to pay for it. You should get what you pay for.

Nintendo is well aware of what the casual and competetive scene want. You can still be a casual player and have melee like elements that are not used. No one is forcing anyone to wave dash or L cancel. You can play casually with your friends and pretend like they don't exist. You can never do over a 30% combo and turn every item on very high and play hyrule temple every match for all we care. The competetive community of smash could care less if you want to be a casual player for the rest of your smash play time. Yet, there are several threads and hundreds of posts of casual players bashing competetive players talking about the competetive aspects they feel the game is missing so far. That's the problem with all the die hard "I'll take whatever they spoon feed me" fanboys. If I'm going to pay 60 dollars for a game, 20 dollars for the gamecube controller adapter, and 30 dollars for the new smash controller- you can bet your f'in *** I'm going to be demanding of a product that I don't want to collect dust.

/rant
Everyone shower this man in money and women.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy

Nintendo is well aware of what the casual and competetive scene want. You can still be a casual player and have melee like elements that are not used. No one is forcing anyone to wave dash or L cancel. You can play casually with your friends and pretend like they don't exist. You can never do over a 30% combo and turn every item on very high and play hyrule temple every match for all we care. The competetive community of smash could care less if you want to be a casual player for the rest of your smash play time. Yet, there are several threads and hundreds of posts of casual players bashing competetive players talking about the competetive aspects they feel the game is missing so far. That's the problem with all the die hard "I'll take whatever they spoon feed me" fanboys. If I'm going to pay 60 dollars for a game, 20 dollars for the gamecube controller adapter, and 30 dollars for the new smash controller- you can bet your f'in *** I'm going to be demanding of a product that I don't want to collect dust.

/rant
Your argument has one basic flaw: you haven't commissioned this game from Nintendo. The competitive scene hasn't requisitioned a new Smash Bros. The developers decided themselves to make this game. This is closer akin to an artist creating a painting and putting it on the open market only for a specific group of people to walk up and berate him for not painting what they wanted.

This, of course, is not a perfect metaphor; few metaphors are. The point is, this game wasn't commissioned by an individual or the competitive community, so no one person or group of gamers have a monopoly on what this game should be. I don't begrudge people's disappointment; I begrudge their entitlement mentality. This game is made with the goal of getting as many people involved as possible, not just casuals and not just competitives.

Once again, if you don't like, then certainly don't buy it. I just wish people could be a little more graceful about it instead of throwing a tantrum. No one is making you buy the new Smash, or the adapter or special controller.

Also, I am without a doubt a Nintendo fan. It is seldom that I don't enjoy a main-series Nintendo game, and as such I trust them and their decision making skills with upcoming games. My question is why does my optimism and happiness offend? That really just sounds like some sour grapes...

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
Your argument has one basic flaw: you haven't commissioned this game from Nintendo. The competitive scene hasn't requisitioned a new Smash Bros. The developers decided themselves to make this game. This is closer akin to an artist creating a painting and putting it on the open market only for a specific group of people to walk up and berate him for not painting what they wanted.

This, of course, is not a perfect metaphor; few metaphors are. The point is, this game wasn't commissioned by an individual or the competitive community, so no one person or group of gamers have a monopoly on what this game should be. I don't begrudge people's disappointment; I begrudge their entitlement mentality. This game is made with the goal of getting as many people involved as possible, not just casuals and not just competitives.

Once again, if you don't like, then certainly don't buy it. I just wish people could be a little more graceful about it instead of throwing a tantrum. No one is making you buy the new Smash, or the adapter or special controller.

Also, I am without a doubt a Nintendo fan. It is seldom that I don't enjoy a main-series Nintendo game, and as such I trust them and their decision making skills with upcoming games. My question is why does my optimism and happiness offend? That really just sounds like some sour grapes...
Tbh, it isn't what your saying, it's how you're saying it (or type of you're one of those trolls), and only negatively replying to other users. The forum is made for our complaints, so why do you have to stop that? We are entitled to our opinion as much as you are. Nintendo isn't going to look at our complaints, nor do they care. If they want to do something, they'll do it. I'm sure we all feel great telling our complaints to others, and agreeing and disagreeing with them. It keeps the forum alive ^^...One like this probably won't die until smash 4 is a year or 2 old anyways.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Tbh, it isn't what your saying, it's how you're saying it (or type of you're one of those trolls), and only negatively replying to other users. The forum is made for our complaints, so why do you have to stop that? We are entitled to our opinion as much as you are. Nintendo isn't going to look at our complaints, nor do they care. If they want to do something, they'll do it. I'm sure we all feel great telling our complaints to others, and agreeing and disagreeing with them. It keeps the forum alive ^^...One like this probably won't die until smash 4 is a year or 2 old anyways.
I agree with you on the point that this thread is for complaining, and I've come in here to complain about the complaining, which is counterintuitive and probably a little hypocritical. That's my bad. However, I'd have to fire back at you that I'm taking issue with "how" things are said (or typed :troll:) as to opposed to "what" is being said, just like you. It's fine to be disappointed and complain about it to your compatriots, just like I will be if/when Isaac is deconfirmed, but just don't go around bashing the game or the people who are happy. Have a eye for the bigger picture, and have a little class. Besides, does wallowing in your unhappiness with the game really make you feel better?

Side note, this is probably my last rebuttal here so as not to derail the thread. This is not a place for debate, but for statements. Peace out folks, and I sincerely hope you all enjoy the game.

Last edited:

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
I agree with you on the point that this thread is for complaining, and I've come in here to complain about the complaining, which is counterintuitive and probably a little hypocritical. That's my bad. However, I'd have to fire back at you that I'm taking issue with "how" things are said (or typed :troll:) as to opposed to "what" is being said, just like you. It's fine to be disappointed and complain about it to your compatriots, just like I will be if/when Isaac is deconfirmed, but just don't go around bashing the game or the people who are happy. Have a eye for the bigger picture, and have a little class. Besides, does wallowing in your unhappiness with the game really make you feel better?

Side note, this is probably my last rebuttal here so as not to derail the thread. This is not a place for debate, but for statements. Peace out folks, and I sincerely hope you all enjoy the game.
Well played, you earned a virtual handshake, my friend.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582

Money talks. The developers could make a game that does nothing but display a can of soup in HD on your screen and call it smash brothers 5. Would you buy it? No. You expect certain key mechanics in a smash brothers game. The developers can decide to make games all day, but the fact of the matter is the consumers money funds those projects. Nintendo can't go on forever making games without people buying them.

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Worst: Customizable Movesets not being usable online. It makes sense for them not to be usable in For Glory mode, but I can't see any possible justification from banning them from For Fun mode. It makes them seem pointless.

Runner-up: The way For Fun and For Glory mode are being handled in general. For Fun mode seems to be time only, when I strongly prefer stocks. As for For Glory, well, Final Destination is a stage I do not care for at all and I really would have preferred they added Battlefield as an option.

Second Runner-up: Gimmicky stages. Please, just give us more stages that are actually playable on like Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Frigate Orhpeon, etc. I DESPISE stages like 75m, Skyworld, Green Hill Zone, etc. and this new Smash seems to be littered with such unplayable atrocities.

Last edited:

Silent Hell

Smash Cadet
Second Runner-up: Gimmicky stages. Please, just give us more stages that are actually playable on like Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Frigate Orhpeon, etc. I DESPISE stages like 75m, Skyworld, Green Hill Zone, etc. and this new Smash seems to be littered with such unplayable atrocities.

Booster

Smash Lord
Ultimately I'd say the thing that bothers me the most is how the development was split into two games instead of focusing all the time and effort into one game that has it all.
Namco Bandai is helping to develop this, as in Dragon Ball Z games Namco Bandai, the fact they didn't try to buy Smash Bros and make it into a Naruto meets One Piece meets Dragon Ball Z meets Tekken meets Gon is good enough.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
we barley got any information about smash for 3ds or Wii u we did not see any new modes all they talked about was smash run for like 50 different times we get it smash run you are in this maze and you have to collect power ups and then you fight whats so hard to understand about that
This guy speaks the golden truth :D

Senario

Smash Ace

The game NOT any community or subset of. This is not a discussion on that it is the worst part of the game.

Also it is silly to say that those people arent fans of the game simply because they dont like everything you like or have different t priorities than you.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
The lack of a demo is the worst part until they put one on the Eshop hopefully sometime!

SuperSmasher64

Smash Cadet
The game NOT any community or subset of. This is not a discussion on that it is the worst part of the game.

Also it is silly to say that those people arent fans of the game simply because they dont like everything you like or have different t priorities than you.
Don't flare toady up again x-x Speaking of toad,, it'd be really cool if peach did a real counter, rather than using toad as a water gun xD

Senario

Smash Ace
Don't flare toady up again x-x Speaking of toad,, it'd be really cool if peach did a real counter, rather than using toad as a water gun xD
Flare up what? Im just saying, I thought this thread was for complaints about the game. Not another thread where so called "casuals" hate competitive players. And casuals meaning they arent really casual fans of the game(hence quotes), I have a bunch of friends who are and they dont care at all about what competitive players care about and here is the kicker. It doesnt matter to them, they just want a new smash game.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Worst: Customizable Movesets not being usable online. It makes sense for them not to be usable in For Glory mode, but I can't see any possible justification from banning them from For Fun mode. It makes them seem pointless.

Runner-up: The way For Fun and For Glory mode are being handled in general. For Fun mode seems to be time only, when I strongly prefer stocks. As for For Glory, well, Final Destination is a stage I do not care for at all and I really would have preferred they added Battlefield as an option.

Yeah, because Skyworld and Green Hill Zone have so much hazards...it's absolutely fair to compare them to something unplayable like 75m...I'm gonna guess you also dislike Spear Pillar, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar and anything that has even a hint of creativity and fun. Super Mario Galaxy, Colosseum, Pokemon League, New Smashville, Windy Hill Zone, Pyrosphere, Pilotwings, Garden of Hope, Mushroom Kingdom U and Wii Fit Studio look perfectly playable, and that's just the Wii U version. On the 3DS we've got Tortimer Island, Arena Ferox, Reset Bomb Forest, Rainbow Road (Oh! A few Shy Guys fly by once in a while, the unplayability's over the charts!), Living Room, Pac-Maze, Gerudo Valley, Spirit Train. Prism Tower and Tomodachi Collection all seem perfectly playable.

There's a much higher amount of 'competitive' stages on this game than stages that people like me love, like Spear Pillar or Rainbow Cruise, so shut up, for people like me who like those kinds of stages, there's only Wily's Castle, 3D Land, N's Castle, Halberd (This one's a strech since most of it doesn't have any hazards and when there are hazards, they're very tame), Balloon Fight, Find Mii, Palutena's Temple, Pac-Land...and that's pretty much it.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy

@ Senario Senario , you are quite right. I was off base from the thread's topic, but if you read further down I already admitted to that and bowed out of the conversation. As such, I'm gonna limit myself on my rebuttal and simply say that I don't want or need people to prioritize the same things I do. It'd be nice, though, for people to be considerate and think about the fact that the game isn't being made just for them.

@ SuperSmasher64 SuperSmasher64 , and here I thought we had ended our conversation like gentlemen. First off, it's Oz, not "toady." Secondly, I sincerely apologize if my commentary or presentation left a bad impression, but I'll stick by what I said til my dying day. (is that "flared up" enough for you?)

In conclusion, let me make a comment that does, indeed, keep up with this thread's purpose: The worst part of the Smash 4 game for me is that the 3DS version only has 2 soundtracks per stage. That, I am genuinely disappointed by.

Last edited:

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
...I'm gonna guess you also dislike Spear Pillar, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar and anything that has even a hint of creativity and fun.

, so shut up
Really, do we have to attack people and call them out for not liking 'fun' because they don't like stages you like? Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom