• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Jane

Smash Hero
i personally like kweli, but can easily see why people dont like him. he has a horrendous ear for beats, and sometimes he can get boring/preachy

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
lol i didn't say 'hate' for a reason. i just find them to be incredibly boring, preachy, and one-dimensional. i mean, don't get me wrong, i like when artists can make social tracks. it's just that the message can be so trite and gooey when it's repeatedly smashed into your head every track. i respect their skill....i just don't listen to their music.

soap

Smash Hero
lol i didn't say 'hate' for a reason. i just find them to be incredibly boring, preachy, and one-dimensional. i mean, don't get me wrong, i like when artists can make social tracks. it's just that the message can be so trite and gooey when it's repeatedly smashed into your head every track. i respect their skill....i just don't listen to their music.
he talks about way more stuff than "conscious" material, and his flow is my favorite aspect of him

I'm not offended that people don't like him, i just don't feel he fits that description. That sounds more like Common.

if u don't like this track then i guess u just don't like him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMvgN8eeegM

Eardrum as a whole was really good imo

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
and I can act conscious, but if we talk politics
you'll notice that I'm out of the loop, cuz I don't follow it

soap

Smash Hero
and I can act conscious, but if we talk politics
you'll notice that I'm out of the loop, cuz I don't follow it
is that blu?

kweli was like "they call me the political rapper even after I tell em I don't **** with politics I don't even follow it"

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
conscious rap is really dumb term though, if I were Kweli I would hate that term as well. I read the book on Illmatic "Born to Use Mics", and one of the authors at one point talks about the so called "conscious rappers" are really no different than "mainstream" rappers like Nas and Jay-Z, both talk about heartfelt issues at times and superficial things at others, but for some reason there's a stupid division there.

Also the new Roots album may be their best yet, at least top 3.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Jane......you might have to stop downloading albums
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=18815

"The bill would make P2P or BitTorrent client development a criminal offense if the distributed software was used for infringement. It also implements an interesting provision called "imminent infringement", which allows the government to charge people who they think might be about to infringe with a civil offense (for example if you searched "torrent daft punk"). This is among the first official "thought crime" provisions to be proposed by the U.S. government."

Jane

Smash Hero
hahahahahaha, im not worried at all. even if they did start to "crack down" on torrent sites, they would start with the popular ones like thepiratebay, isohunt, demonoid etc

the site i use is just a spec on the pirating radar. but good try anyways, obama admin. xD

anyways, wayne came out with a song he spit through the phone from the visiting room of the jail hes at lmao. its actually a really good verse imo, aside from the pac line. but weezy's still got it

heres the song

light up (rikers remix) - http://content.onsmash.com/archives/39819

its actually a drake song off his new album. drake and jay's parts stay the same, so if you want you can skip to the end when wayne starts rapping

also you need lyrics because obviously its hella ****ty quality lmao. so heres the lyrics, theyre necessary.

Hate is temporary, love is necessary
I went from eating ***** to eating commissary
****, I am addicted i need therapy
You can buy the answers but you can't afford to question me
1st off I don't need you 2nd guessing me
Jail is like 3rd base I'm coming home eventually
Still got shooters, like hot tubs
Man I'm anemic, still got Bloods
I'm in my cell, reading fan mail
Wish I was in Amsterdam sipping Amstel
Thinking about all of that ***** I can't smell
Man they did me wrong I feel like Nelson Mandel
ugh, I shine too hard, my lamp fell
But my name still ringin Alexander Graham Bell
I know you met **** cuz you know **** well
That I still got you open, open like a calm shell
Yeah, still fly on my Hawk ****
My conversation stinks, cuz I talk ****
Stay in ya lane, you on that double park ****
We eating at the top getting spooned in a forklift
I got rap, wrapped up like a gift
And I'd plea sober if it were a fifth
I feel like Elvis, jailhouse rock
I'm not Tupac, I'm the new Pac
Behind bars but the bars don't stop
Recording over the phone I hope the call don't drop
Drizzy got the ball I know the ball won't drop
And I pray none of my kids ever wanna be cops
Young Money get em, Young Money got em
The boss got his feet up, vacating on a island
Yeah and tell ya girl send a kite up
And even if you don't smoke mutha****er you gonna have to light up

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
hahahahahaha, im not worried at all. even if they did start to "crack down" on torrent sites, they would start with the popular ones like thepiratebay, isohunt, demonoid etc

the site i use is just a spec on the pirating radar. but good try anyways, obama admin. xD
Most likely nothing is going to change. If the Obama administration is that dumb to actually enact this kinda policy on movie/music piracy when they have two wars, a nearly collapsed economy, a massive oil flood in the gulf, health care issues etc going on...well, then we have a lot more to worry about than not being able to download albums.

I also generally like Joe Biden but what the **** is this crap

"It's smash and grab, no different than a guy walking down Fifth Avenue and smashing the window at Tiffany's and reaching in and grabbing what's in the window." -- U.S. VP Joe Biden

Sure, Joe. That makes a lot of sense.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
wayne goes to jail and it's more like house arrest smh. he got caught with an ipod, he still blogs and has video chat and now he's recording tracks....i can only think of one word

fortunately for me, i don't even get most of my music from bitorrents :)

it seems like a gamble to hope it'll strongly impact the economy. there are still more people that buy music than those that just download.

but anyway, don't really want to get into political/economic discussion. **** goes straight over my head.

S l o X

Smash Champion
immortal technique isn't something i'd put on my ipod but he's definitely the one i point out when i talk to my ignorant cousins.

he gets them *****s researchin (me too but still)

soap

Smash Hero
rofl at joe biden

what exactly are they gona do? They honestly need to spend their efforts on more important things than drake's record sales.

i even remember seeing a drake interview, he was like " I know alot of y'all don't pay for my music, but it's still good for establishing a fanbase."

they get alot more exposure and fans overall imo. and loyal fans will purchase hard-copies if they like it. I don't think politicians understand fans, comparing us to felons and rioters

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
rofl at joe biden

what exactly are they gona do? They honestly need to spend their efforts on more important things than drake's record sales.

i even remember seeing a drake interview, he was like " I know alot of y'all don't pay for my music, but it's still good for establishing a fanbase."

they get alot more exposure and fans overall imo. and loyal fans will purchase hard-copies if they like it. I don't think politicians understand fans, comparing us to felons and rioters
Plus, it's not comparable to physical theft of jewelry. If that was the case, thieves could steal a necklace and leave an exact copy behind.

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
seems like democratic vice presidents are good at restricting music rights... see Tipper Gore

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Most likely nothing is going to change. If the Obama administration is that dumb to actually enact this kinda policy on movie/music piracy when they have two wars, a nearly collapsed economy, a massive oil flood in the gulf, health care issues etc going on...well, then we have a lot more to worry about than not being able to download albums.

I also generally like Joe Biden but what the **** is this crap

"It's smash and grab, no different than a guy walking down Fifth Avenue and smashing the window at Tiffany's and reaching in and grabbing what's in the window." -- U.S. VP Joe Biden

Sure, Joe. That makes a lot of sense.
Actually, America's music is some of the best in the world. If the government utilized the music industry to its fullest extent, the economy would most certainly pick up.

First they would have to work with Microsoft and Apple to have them engineer their next popular computer with certain software that prevents them from downloading any file unless it is a certified file or something. Etc. etc. etc., ideas.

Point is, I support it to the fullest.

i think obama needs to focus on freeing weezy
I think he has to focus more on keeping that piece of **** locket up for as long as possible so that hip-hop can get its act together.

well....guess they gave immortal technique more material for conspiracy theories :p
XD

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

This image may or may not be humorous.
lol.

Ehh. Eminem's changed. He had a drug problem and doesn't want kids making the mistakes he did.

Insane Clown *******. LMAO he cracked me up when he said that.

Slim anus. YOURE **** RIGHT SLIM ANUS I DONT GET ****ED IN MINE

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I think he has to focus more on keeping that piece of **** locket up for as long as possible so that hip-hop can get its act together.
lol one man cannot destroy hip-hop, bruh. i think this large influx of snap music is way more irritating than any wayne song. though i don't really listen to him, at least he tries to rap(with an extreme emphasis on "tries"). every now and then, he'll drop a possible quotable in his verse, but most of his lyrics are the subject of ridicule on most hip-hop sites lolol.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Actually, America's music is some of the best in the world. If the government utilized the music industry to its fullest extent, the economy would most certainly pick up.

First they would have to work with Microsoft and Apple to have them engineer their next popular computer with certain software that prevents them from downloading any file unless it is a certified file or something. Etc. etc. etc., ideas.

Point is, I support it to the fullest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8a2rerCbbo&feature=related

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
lol one man cannot destroy hip-hop, bruh. i think this large influx of snap music is way more irritating than any wayne song. though i don't really listen to him, at least he tries to rap(with an extreme emphasis on "tries"). every now and then, he'll drop a possible quotable in his verse, but most of his lyrics are the subject of ridicule on most hip-hop sites lolol.
lol. yeah well lil wayne is a big problem. someone dope needs to beef with him...

lol.
Explaining how the music industry needs to change

xzibit talking about the music industry

Honestly, if there were a way or a bill passed to stop illegal downloading altogether, and the government limited money taken away from artists and more to the government, but keeping it at the same money earned to the artists, the economy would really pick up.

Illegal downloading is also how the movie industry is melting down (my uncle is a screenwriter, he explained all of the details to me).

Call me crazy.

lol. see above.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
lol. yeah well lil wayne is a big problem. someone dope needs to beef with him...

lol.
Explaining how the music industry needs to change

xzibit talking about the music industry

Honestly, if there were a way or a bill passed to stop illegal downloading altogether, and the government limited money taken away from artists and more to the government, but keeping it at the same money earned to the artists, the economy would really pick up.

Illegal downloading is also how the movie industry is melting down (my uncle is a screenwriter, he explained all of the details to me).

Call me crazy.

lol. see above.
Oh boo ****ing hoo. Musicians actually having to actively tour and play music a lot? The horror! That article simply said artists have to approach music if they want to seriously make a career out of it. The record store is dead. Move on and adapt.

soap

Smash Hero
not everybody should be making music

and people that really have a passion for it find a way to do it regardless of income

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Wow, I didn't know this thread existed till recently. I come in and I see Talib bashing though :( :(

I don't listen to him that much, but when I do, he's pretty good. Sometimes he goes off the beat, but I chalk that up to him being jazzy and off-the-grain...

Jane

Smash Hero
^ hey i said i like kweli :)

@cookie dude, when was the last time you watched cribs? artists (who become popular) are VERY well off. artists who stay underground still make music, and usually with more passiont/effort than mainstream artists, so whats the problem? like luigi said, if they want more money they better get off their ***** and go MAKE that money by touring.

as far as the movie industry, i dont know much about that, but last time i went to the movies it was still packed as all hell lol

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
@cookie dude, when was the last time you watched cribs? artists (who become popular) are VERY well off. artists who stay underground still make music, and usually with more passiont/effort than mainstream artists, so whats the problem? like luigi said, if they want more money they better get off their ***** and go MAKE that money by touring.
Did we lose our hunger? Something's got to give
Did we outgrow ourselves? Is hip-hop for kids?
If it is, they turn on MTV Cribs
And think, "That's where these mother****ers really live!" - Joey

...lol i doubt that's where most of these artists live....gotta live up to the image, i guess.

@cookie, personally, i don't think stopping illegal downloading would have a huge impact. i don't buy most albums because the quality of music most artists are putting out is bull shit. a lot of money does come in from touring. i know chamillionaire got paid 100 grand for ONE show lol. 50 got paid a mil just to make an appearance at a barmitzfa....or how ever you spell it. touring can bring in money. a lot of underground artists i listen NEVER drop by georgia so i definitely think they need to get off their lazy asses and drop by....>__<

soap

Smash Hero
i was listening to eardrum today and this verse reminded me of everyone's critiques from this thread

Kweli you should rap about this, you should rap about that
Any more suggestions? You in the back, yeah you
You should rap more on beat, you should rap more street
And never ever get your mack on please, how bout you?
I like the way you're melodic, it's cause you capture hypnotic
Portraits and seem to make the average exotic
Probably unite, I know you getting some love, but you can't spit like a thug
And you a blow, you make a hit for the club, word
I don't like your voice, I don't like your choice of beats
It sounds like it's forced, and what was up with "Back Up Offa Me"?
I ain't like that, man you should get with Hi-Tek
Now he got nice tracks, them other dudes is type wack
Yeah, people keeping it coming, I keep it bubbling
Like the heat from oven boiling the water and the hate
So they light my fire...
I got a mic empire, my own label
I had to emancipate me-me like Mariah...

rofl

but you can't do much about your voice. I personally don't find anything wrong with it.

the only voices i can't stand are like MF doom and jeezy, but i dislike them for other reasons too

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i hate doom :). i liked jeezy's 1st cd back when i paid no attention to lyrics....then i woke up one day and he said "And that ain't this...and this ain't that.. and Bitch i'm strapped".....i was done

as for talib.....meh. i wasn't critiquing him. i was just saying i don't like him ;)

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
&quot;So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Half of the selling point is the voice for major label artists. It's how Jeezy gets away with his ****. I read Poetry of Hip Hop and Adam Bradley specifically talks about how Jeezy's voice lets him keep simple *** rhymes. Same goes for DMX's barking dog style.

I never got into MF Doom.

But yoooo, I just came back from seeing NERD perform at Solidays Friday. It's probably the defining moment in my time in Paris. Pharrell brought out Lupe for a guest spot and his verse on Everybody Nose. Robin Thicke was there too but that's of less importance.

I have seen a major hip hop icon perform every year since I started college. Kanye was freshman year, Lupe was sophomore, and NERD is junior year. Excited to see what happens this year as a senior.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
NERD - "You ain't heard? We swallow guys."

take that line how you want...

speaking of hip-hop concerts, my goal for this year is to go to atleast 4. i've been to a lupe concert. dude was doing back flips and **** lol. i went to this underground hip-hop club which was just sad smh. i wanna see nas and kanye but no one ever seems to drop by atlanta...or i just missed them..*looks at nas*.

Top Bottom