• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
word

u gotta have charisma to be a legit emcee, i guess?
I wouldn't even say charisma, you need to have a presence on the mic. For example, the GZA. Not charismatic at all, monotonous. But when he's on a track, you feel as if you're getting the first lecture of senior thesis.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
sad smh. it's always fun to watch people kill their own hype by opening their mouth. charles hamilton, where you at?

edit: wow he said pharoah monch is 20 times better than eminem and eminem is a pawn of satan.....he actually has a conspiracy theory of em being the reason hip-hop has declined in quality.....

however, i still think the rza situation was blown outta proportion...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
*facepalm*

Was a good run though, I liked Jay E's music.

Edit: I just realized this vid is old as hell.

Worldstar is sooooo grimey.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Right now, I feel like every hip hop head should be forced to sit down and listen to Ahmad Jamal - Jamal Plays Jamal. A stellar jazz album.

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
Wow a lot of good discussion happening here. As for me, I care about the musical aspect of hip-hop way more than poetry, but recently have started trying to pay more attention to lyrics. When I first evaluate an emcee it's always about his flow, phrasing, sound of his voice, rhyming styles (i.e. alliterations, internal rhyming, multi-syllabic etc), and uniqueness more than the content of his lyrics, though definitely somebody who says something meaningful to me puts him over the top. But bad lyrics, unless they're really bad, don't stop me from listening to stuff I don't identify with, like a lot of west coast rap, some of the wu-tang clan etc., as long as the other things are there.

The original reason I came to this board (which I used to lurk back in the day, before brawl came out and I stopped smashing) and thread was to share my mashup album(s), Raptendo 64, which is exactly what it sounds like. Seeing some of the hip-hop taste here I think a lot of you will enjoy it, you can read more/download here:

http://pkmao.bandcamp.com/album/raptendo-64-vol-1

(hopefully this is the right place for this, didn't want to create a new topic if that might be viewed as creating an account to "advertise")

Jane

Smash Hero
sweeet! :D

you came to the right place, mao. downloading right now, ill tell you what i think after i listen to it

wow dude, you really put a lot of thought into this, i can tell just from reading the abstract on your page. im excited to listen! i played all of those games except the first three. (animal forest, EB64, and pilotwings)

ALSO, someone that has their pages set to view 15 posts, what page are we on? i have it set to 20 posts per page and we're on page 107 O: hahaha im so happy

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Below the Heavens.

Constant rotation at the moment... I'm fiending for new Blu..what were those other tapes you told me to check Blu3?

Also I know there was a new tape lurking by him but it was a group rip with low quality I think. You check it out?

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
Hah to be fair no one has played EarthBound 64. It was cancelled and then became Mother 3, but I had to find a way to use one of the few pieces of soundtrack they released from the N64 version since I'm such an Earthbound stan. :p But thanks for checkin it out, and feel free to spread to anyone/where you think would be interested.

And I just got into Below The Heavens recently too, and when I did couldn't stop listening. Haven't checked out any other Blu yet (besides his appearance on Jay Stay Paid) but I've checked out some of Exile's other work and it's just about as dope (his work on Fashawn's Boy Meet's World is great).

I'm on 15 per page and it just went to 143.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yeah Boy Meets World is crack.

lol did you sign up just because of this thread?

soap

Smash Hero
Below the Heavens.

Constant rotation at the moment... I'm fiending for new Blu..what were those other tapes you told me to check Blu3?

Also I know there was a new tape lurking by him but it was a group rip with low quality I think. You check it out?
soul amazing 1 is the ****.

i like herfavouritecolour as well. altho its a bit different

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
yeah, definitely check out Soul Amazin Pt. 1. DO NOT DOWNLOAD HIS OTHER ALBUMS!!! I can't really remember if part 2 is any good. currently downloading pt 3. I know he's coming out with another album and i'm praying this guy actually does something with it. to me, he hasn't put out anything good since early 2008. i also gotta check out his other 2 mixtapes that dropped this year. dude's been trying to produce lately.....ew.

seen this quote on JBtv and it pretty much sums blu up
"ive learned that if its not below the heavens part 2, its not worth a download"

so be weary...

also, i heard something about him wanting to work with budden....

just some random tracks from him
Just Another Day (kinda low quality, though it's a video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia0VxX1y-1M

Fly(SongOfLiberation) - From Exile's album...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAEgzs4Iwoo&feature=related

also, 2 more days til DR drops :)

edit: nvm. don't download soul amazing pt 2 either. i'm listenin to it now and don't really know why it's still on my computer.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Wow a lot of good discussion happening here. As for me, I care about the musical aspect of hip-hop way more than poetry, but recently have started trying to pay more attention to lyrics. When I first evaluate an emcee it's always about his flow, phrasing, sound of his voice, rhyming styles (i.e. alliterations, internal rhyming, multi-syllabic etc), and uniqueness more than the content of his lyrics, though definitely somebody who says something meaningful to me puts him over the top. But bad lyrics, unless they're really bad, don't stop me from listening to stuff I don't identify with, like a lot of west coast rap, some of the wu-tang clan etc., as long as the other things are there.

The original reason I came to this board (which I used to lurk back in the day, before brawl came out and I stopped smashing) and thread was to share my mashup album(s), Raptendo 64, which is exactly what it sounds like. Seeing some of the hip-hop taste here I think a lot of you will enjoy it, you can read more/download here:

http://pkmao.bandcamp.com/album/raptendo-64-vol-1

(hopefully this is the right place for this, didn't want to create a new topic if that might be viewed as creating an account to "advertise")

MM, I fell you. As lyrics go, I also mean the rapper's flow, rhyming styles, etc. I mean all of that. That's what I'm talking about.

soap

Smash Hero
yeah, definitely check out Soul Amazin Pt. 1. DO NOT DOWNLOAD HIS OTHER ALBUMS!!! I can't really remember if part 2 is any good. currently downloading pt 3. I know he's coming out with another album and i'm praying this guy actually does something with it. to me, he hasn't put out anything good since early 2008. i also gotta check out his other 2 mixtapes that dropped this year. dude's been trying to produce lately.....ew.

seen this quote on JBtv and it pretty much sums blu up
"ive learned that if its not below the heavens part 2, its not worth a download"

so be weary...

also, i heard something about him wanting to work with budden....

just some random tracks from him
Just Another Day (kinda low quality, though it's a video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia0VxX1y-1M

Fly(SongOfLiberation) - From Exile's album...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAEgzs4Iwoo&feature=related

also, 2 more days til DR drops :)

edit: nvm. don't download soul amazing pt 2 either. i'm listenin to it now and don't really know why it's still on my computer.
below the heavens was a really personal album. you can't do like pt. 2 to those kinds of albums that is corny.

stop hatin and give the man some time to try out different things.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
below the heavens was a really personal album. you can't do like pt. 2 to those kinds of albums that is corny.

stop hatin and give the man some time to try out different things.
:laugh:
shut up. i'm not sayin the guy can't do different things but he killed his own buzz by continuously putting out boring music. he was on the cover of xxl, yet he had the weakest year out of all the people on there, which is sad because he was definitely the most talented lyrically. simply put, most of his music isn't worth a download right now. he can spend time searching for his niche, more power to him, but it's impossible to suggest any of his recent body of work to people. so far, everyone i've talked to about him pretty much stopped paying attention to him after BTH.

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
In the case of Blu, which I haven't heard anything besides Below The Heavens so I'm just speculating, I wonder if Exile made him really elevate his game, cause Exile's beats are some of the best I've heard in the last few years. Maybe Blu wasn't lying when he said Exile and Blu were the new Pete Rock & CL.

lol did you sign up just because of this thread?
Well I signed up cause I was tryin to figure out what other video game forums I knew of to post my project, then remembered I used to come here all the time back when I cared about being good at smash bros, but now that I suck and haven't played in a while yea it's likely this'll be the only topic I post in.

and sorry Mao, I don't know if you're actually white
It's cool, I am pretty white.

MM, I fell you. As lyrics go, I also mean the rapper's flow, rhyming styles, etc. I mean all of that. That's what I'm talking about.
Yea I feel like those elements of a rapper's style are still more musical elements to me (rhythmic phrasing being no different of an element to me than how jazz soloists phrase), even the sound of words matter to me more as musical elements than content. Cause I can be listening closely to a rapper but still not process a word of what he's saying means, the sound of the words means more to me than the words themselves, coming from my biased, music over lyrics standpoint though.

Jane

Smash Hero
i was feelin froggy today,

so as you may have noticed i changed the thread name to something more... official :3

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
In the case of Blu, which I haven't heard anything besides Below The Heavens so I'm just speculating, I wonder if Exile made him really elevate his game, cause Exile's beats are some of the best I've heard in the last few years. Maybe Blu wasn't lying when he said Exile and Blu were the new Pete Rock & CL.
lyrically, i don't think so. the man can still spit dope verses but his beat selection is lacking. not saying he has to stay over those soulful-type beats but i still haven't heard many, if any, songs that can top any track on BTH

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
Yea I don't doubt his lyrical prowess moving forward, best example I think is Nas (granted I still haven't heard some of his more maligned albums like Nastradamus) who I feel still has a lot of great things to say but his beat selection is always gonna be hard to beat Premo, Pete Rock etc. As someone said earlier you need more than just good lyrics, if you don't pay attention to the beats and flow of the album it's gonna sound boring. Having said that, right now I'm just talking, need to check out additional Blu.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Yea I feel like those elements of a rapper's style are still more musical elements to me (rhythmic phrasing being no different of an element to me than how jazz soloists phrase), even the sound of words matter to me more as musical elements than content. Cause I can be listening closely to a rapper but still not process a word of what he's saying means, the sound of the words means more to me than the words themselves, coming from my biased, music over lyrics standpoint though.
Yeah, I got you. My parents feel just like that, they can't stand people rapping at all XD

Jane

Smash Hero
Haha ok ok ill change it :p

More appropriate, plus a play on worldstarhiphop. Not that that site is amazing or anything, i just like the ring of it

Jane

Smash Hero
french rap is tight. any rap in one of the romance languages flows sooo well, just cuz of the nature of the languages

Top Bottom