• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
Actually Matador. Friend of the People and Lasers were totally different!!!!

Lasers is a pop album. Radio friendly songs with some out of whack Lupe. Out of My Head ring a bell?Totally not Lupe.

Friend of The People on the other hand is LUPE THE KILLA going in over some dubstep beats. And he ran a train on all those tracks. Pass the nachos. If you didn't like that then or thought that was selling out then you must also think that Fahrenheit 1/15: A Rhyming Ape was also a sellout move or bad because he rapped over Gorrilaz the entire time.

Anyways, the real thing I came here for was to know what y'all think of Mobb Deep's breakup?

And who is gonna cop B.o.B's album? I must say I'm kinda pissed that it won't have Play The Guitar on there...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Mobb Deep break up? I thought that whole Twitter beef was confirmed to be somebody else on Havoc's Twitter???

soap

Smash Hero

Lasers is a pop album. Radio friendly songs with some out of whack Lupe. Out of My Head ring a bell?Totally not Lupe.

Friend of The People on the other hand is LUPE THE KILLA going in over some dubstep beats. And he ran a train on all those tracks. Pass the nachos. If you didn't like that then or thought that was selling out then you must also think that Fahrenheit 1/15: A Rhyming Ape was also a sellout move or bad because he rapped over Gorrilaz the entire time.

Anyways, the real thing I came here for was to know what y'all think of Mobb Deep's breakup?

And who is gonna cop B.o.B's album? I must say I'm kinda pissed that it won't have Play The Guitar on there...
that double hamburger with cheese joint was the shiit

wasn't crazy bout the rest of the production tho

not copping B.o.B.s album

Nas x Kendrick collabo tho. Wonder who's album it will be on.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Havoc still drops some of the best beats on the East Coast.....dunno where u guys been at.

Jane

Smash Hero
^lmao good ****. i liked the spit at the end there too
going hard for the world like a sex tape <--fresh

also, interesting how you said zooted to refer to being drunk. the way i learned it (from some friends from the bay) its used to mean being high. but you know how all those words like throwed/faded/geeked up/etc eventually end up meaning "im ****ed up in some way shape or form"

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
This ***** Chief Keef is already collabing with Kanye. He's been my main trap rapper for like a month now but yooo, this *****'s only 16 and he has not been out for long enough to be getting this amount of buzz. ****.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?

I hesitate to categorize Lasers as a pop album, though it's definitely much more in that direction than the rest of his catalog. Outside of that Trey Songs track, it's still rap, just over more poppy, mainstream beats. That's the same thing he did with Friend of the People (which I liked as well as Lasers). If you compare either of those two projects to his earlier work, there's a distinct, noticeable difference. The beats on both deliberately have more mainstream appeal than his other projects.

And your comparison to Fahrenheit 1/15: A Rhyming Ape is flawed. If you go back, you'll see that I never suggested that Lupe was selling out or that the change that he's taking is bad...I actually said the opposite. I thought Lasers was good and that his strides to change his sound shows longevity as an artist.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
wait, so that guy is an imitation tupac? i wasnt exactly sure what was going on in that gif, lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajVGIRsKXdo

honestly it's kind of too weird and creepy for me, it distracts from teh coolness factor.

I just don't feel like Pac would ever have been the type of person to play Coachella.

it's kinda like having a Kurt Cobain hologram play at the Super Bowl...just doesn't seem right, and a little disrespectful.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
^ I felt the same about a lot of similar scenarios, mainly when artists sample another artists song post-mortem. Like, BIG/Pac prolly wouldn't have given half these rappers the time of day. Not just rap either, a lot of rage when MJ died and there were covers/samples out left and right (or even more recently, Whitney.)

I'm kinda ehh about it, the line between a tasteful tribute/homage/cover and cashing in on anothers success is too subjective imo

Jane

Smash Hero
doing a COVER is one thing. sampling someone is also something i feel is acceptable to do.

but a ****ing hologram? what the **** hahaha.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Pac/Big samples are one thing, but it takes it to another level when you have a lifelike avatar of an iconic rapper opening up your sets. My guess is that Dre/Snoop needed a bigger draw for such a big show like Coachella headlining. Not to say that Snoop and Dre aren't draws in themselves...but Dre in particular doesn't seem all too relevant to today's scene. I was honestly surprised when I heard it was Dre headlining Coachella. I'm not sure who would have made more sense to me (besides Kanye again) but Dre hasn't released anything special in a long time and Snoop has been doing nothing but rubbish features for like a decade lol. I think they felt like they needed a gimmick like ghost Tupac to have a memorable show. I haven't heard anyone talk about the rest of the set, it's all been ghost Tupac exploding into stars or whatever.

rhan

Smash Hero
That's the first time I watched the performance.

At first I thought the idea of the hologram was pretty cool. Then I started to think.. If Pac was alive or seeing this right now. Would he approve?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I doubt Pac cares right now.

I think it's good that artists try to keep previous greats in music and keep them relevant for newer generations.....*shrugs*

soap

Smash Hero
Pac is relevant thru the clear influence you hear in new artists such as Kendrick and J. Cole

The hologram was just kinda corny, albeit visually impressive.

I loved what Chappelle did with his Pac skit, but this just came off as bad taste

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I don't really have a problem with the pac hologram, albeit confuses nuccas that still believe pac is still alive. Dre and Snoop damn sure aren't draws nowadays. I was amped for Detox for like 15 seconds. The hologram was a nice visual effect, though i'm not a pac fan, but it was simply a way to entertain the crowd.

rhan

Smash Hero
*You're.

Stupid hoe.

Edit: SO WHAT THE ****?? I can't say **** or **** or *** or ***** but I can say hoe?

**** this site.

LLDL

Smash Hero
The tupac projection was sick. Very life like. Every time I watch it, I forget that it isn't him halfway, because I'm paying attention to the whole performance. The only thing that really makes it an obvious projection is the glow and lighting. If they could have perfected the lighting on the model, would have been even more sick.

Top Bottom