• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Incredible? kinda. Entertaining? Definitely. He's pretty much the Busta Rhymes of smash. Definitely entertaining, but he ain't winning ****.

@Sus: Yeah but when's the last time you heard anything about soulja boi? Son hasn't had a hit since like 07. These rhymers have short careers and fade into oblivion in 0 seconds flat. Never seen so many people eager to speed through their 15 minutes of fame.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I'm talking musically. I read that he made 7 mil last year or some odd ball number like that. Must be 50 in his ear, whispering some good advice or some ****. I don't care about his business ventures. I just know that I haven't heard a single track from him in years.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
So I was talking some girls at school today and I introduced them to Kendrick Lamar ADHD song. They started to bounce all up on me as soon as the song started.

I swear, ADHD is the best sex song ever.

soap

Smash Hero
I've been a shiz fan since this interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34PhWvuaHzU

this is actually a terrible interviewer (name some smashers for me smh) but those facial expressions still kill me

also, that shades of falco back in the day, one of the few combo videos to have hip hop (relevance loophole)

make that *** roll like a 24

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I take that back. Cole World is mediocre as frruccck.
Agreed. Definitely didn't live up to my expectations.

Sideline Story, Nobody's Perfect and Never Told are my fave tracks but God's Gift, Cole World and Rise and Shine, the tracks everyone's hyping about are mediocre. Work Out, Can't Get Enough, Lights Please, the interlude, In The Morning, Mr Nice Watch all either played out or just average. Breakdown is dope.

It's a shame.

My friend just hit the nail on the head - Cole played it too safe.
I don't see your points or what exactly makes it "mediocre" but I guess everyone's got an opinion.

Also this next track is a real surprise on a hell of a lot of levels:

Tyga - Apollyoyon's Theme (Produced by.... Jessie Jackson..? wtf?) And this song is unfinished, set to feature... Nas soon? The hell is this? lmao

http://www.diversehiphop.com/blog/2011/09/dhh-exclusive-tyga-apollyons-theme/

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I agree that Cole World is mediocre, and it doesn't help that it's basically the first Cole stuff I've heard and I expected it to be great considering everyone is calling him the next Jay-Z and ****. I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't see what's so special. That said, I will go through it for another listen to give it a fair shot.

In what ways is J. Cole coming off Mainstream?
His singles (especially Mr. Nice Watch) all sound like such generic mainstream songs.

Also, what is it with cats and hating on main stream music?
Whoa, whoa there buddy. If you've ever read any of my posts, you'd know I have never done that. Favorite rappers: Kanye and Biggie. I'm just saying J Cole is not good at making mainstream music.

Boofy!

Smash Champion

Linguini

Smash Master
Incredible? kinda. Entertaining? Definitely. He's pretty much the Busta Rhymes of smash. Definitely entertaining, but he ain't winning ****.
ROFL, doesn't win *****? you obviously know nothing about him, shiz is a crazy smart player who has placed top/won tons of tournaments; most while not even practicing at all....

anyways i mighttt be at apex

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I've been a shiz fan since this interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34PhWvuaHzU

this is actually a terrible interviewer (name some smashers for me smh) but those facial expressions still kill me

also, that shades of falco back in the day, one of the few combo videos to have hip hop (relevance loophole)

make that *** roll like a 24
Yea I was just talking to him on facebook. He gave me a lot of advice about certain match ups.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
In what ways is J. Cole coming off Mainstream?

Also, what is it with cats and hating on main stream music? It's like, Artist have to make something that's radio friendly or there music won't get played on the airways. Making complete underground type songs all the time will not get you put on or heard.
That's how most cats fall off cause they tend to cater to the underground scene or the streets and they end up taking a hit. Most underground Artist don't wanna be underground. They wanna be heard. I don't understand the hate... It's not like they selling out or anything... They gotta eat like the next man has to eat. Someone please explain to me the hate behind this.
I don't think it's so much artists being mainstream as it's them deviating from what got them the fanbase they have now. Alot of rappers/singers/bands and whatever else people want to call themselves these days hit it big and they basically forget their roots.

I am and probably will forever be a Kanye West fan. However, I feel like that he too is starting to completely deviate from the days of College Dropout and Late Registration. In those days, he talked about subjects that people (namely black folks) could relate to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WezusURMbY

That right there was something that people could relate to on a super personal level and it nabbed him a fanbase in an instant. Yeah, he became a mainstream artist, but he was a mainstream artist that kept true to his roots. Now, he's kinda drifting into Lil Wayne territory and just talking about what the next rapper is talking about.

Also, concerts > record sales. Concerts are pretty much guaranteed cash. Most artists don't see that much money despite record sales. Companies will drain them of their funds quick to cover the cost of producing them. So most underground artists that stay underground, are doing it solely because they are seeing the money up front. I'm sure you already knew that though as you're an up-and-coming artist yourself.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't think it's so much artists being mainstream as it's them deviating from what got them the fanbase they have now. Alot of rappers/singers/bands and whatever else people want to call themselves these days hit it big and they basically forget their roots.

I am and probably will forever be a Kanye West fan. However, I feel like that he too is starting to completely deviate from the days of College Dropout and Late Registration. In those days, he talked about subjects that people (namely black folks) could relate to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WezusURMbY

That right there was something that people could relate to on a super personal level and it nabbed him a fanbase in an instant. Yeah, he became a mainstream artist, but he was a mainstream artist that kept true to his roots. Now, he's kinda drifting into Lil Wayne territory and just talking about what the next rapper is talking about.

Also, concerts > record sales. Concerts are pretty much guaranteed cash. Most artists don't see that much money despite record sales. Companies will drain them of their funds quick to cover the cost of producing them. So most underground artists that stay underground, are doing it solely because they are seeing the money up front. I'm sure you already knew that though as you're an up-and-coming artist yourself.
With the exception of a bunch of verses on Watch the Throne, Kanye is definitely not rapping about the same things other mainstream rappers are. MBDTF is one of the most uncomfortably personal albums I've ever listened to. Yeah, it's hard to relate to for me, but that's because I'm not Kanye. It's almost like he made an album entirely for himself and thought of his listeners as an afterthought.

Also worth noting is that his lyrics have gotten way more abstract and "artsy" in the past few years. Early Kanye was brilliant and has so many insightful lines that you only need to hear once and you understand exactly what he's getting across. Now, it's all strange metaphors about his personal life. I love it myself.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Yeah how the hell is Cole World mediocre? If its because your comparing it to Friday night lights, saying its not as good, then imo thats not a valid reason. He has to do a certain format when creating an album, just like any other artist. He cant just have 20 "j cole" tracks because he doesnt have the same freedom as when hes doing a mixtape.

In fact I think this album packed way more variety then FNL. J cole changed up his style a lot throughout the songs.

If its for some other reason, then i hold my tongue.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Jay-z taught Kanye how to spit lyrics secretly now. It's going to take a while to decode every song he drops fully.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Yeah how the hell is Cole World mediocre? If its because your comparing it to Friday night lights, saying its not as good, then imo thats not a valid reason. He has to do a certain format when creating an album, just like any other artist. He cant just have 20 "j cole" tracks because he doesnt have the same freedom as when hes doing a mixtape.

In fact I think this album packed way more variety then FNL. J cole changed up his style a lot throughout the songs.

I'm just saying no more on the topic because I've noticed in here of those who claimed it was mediocre that they pointed out about 3 tracks that weren't up to their expectations and never really gave legitimate reasons for disliking them or for claims that the album was mediocre. I don't really try to debate stuff anyway. xD

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
With the exception of a bunch of verses on Watch the Throne, Kanye is definitely not rapping about the same things other mainstream rappers are. MBDTF is one of the most uncomfortably personal albums I've ever listened to. Yeah, it's hard to relate to for me, but that's because I'm not Kanye. It's almost like he made an album entirely for himself and thought of his listeners as an afterthought.

Also worth noting is that his lyrics have gotten way more abstract and "artsy" in the past few years. Early Kanye was brilliant and has so many insightful lines that you only need to hear once and you understand exactly what he's getting across. Now, it's all strange metaphors about his personal life. I love it myself.
Agree with this. Love the old Kanye and the new Kanye.

Like I said, basically the first Cole I've ever heard so I'm unbiased in that sense. I just didn't think there was anything particularly special. Sure, there's a few tracks I enjoy, but I don't see why people are lauding him as the next Jay-Z or next great rapper of some sort.

soap

Smash Hero
When I saw FNL I thought Food and Liquor was being brought up. Cole World doesn't touch Food and Liquor lyrically and conceptually.

I have faith in Cole's follow-up tho. These types of two year anticipated projects are bound to disappoint (e.g. lasers).

His mixtapes really are better imo, and what got him his fanbase. I would check those out before writing him off.

He is new to the album game. Different rules.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero

MBDTF is a ridiculously good album. I wasn't really talking about that. I'm talking about the recent sounds I've heard from him with Jay-Z and Big Sean. I'm not saying it isn't good, because I know Kanye kills whatever track he's on. I just don't want to see him get in that "I don't have to try because I know people are going to buy my **** regardless" mode.

BTW Gorgeous is like the best song on there. Jus sayin.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
uh.

yeah, I'll never understand that- "I like this song more than all the others, but it's not the best track" makes no sense to me

my favorite track is probably Lost in the World. I can't really say some other track is the best at the same time, lol.

One thing that does suck about new Kanye is his features. E.T. is embarassing. It would be embarassing if it was Soulja Boy, it's even worse when it's Ye. So is that one song where he's like "this is bad, real bad, Michael Jackson. now i'm mad, real mad, Joe Jackson"

smh man. It's lines like that that make you wish he was still on the comeup, and so hungry and eager to impress that he would just go all out lyrically and delivery wise. Now he can take a dump on a track, put (feat. Kanye West) at the end and call it a day.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Favorite track off of MBDTF?

Devil In A New Dress <3

Close Second- Runaway

I understand what people mean when they say "This is my favorite track, but the best track is..."

Like for example on Ye's Late Registration, my favorite track is "Diamonds From Sierra Leone", but I feel as though the best track on the album is "Late" or "Heard Em Say".

Comes down to what you like to hear vs What artistically is the best put together song on the album..

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I need to give MBDTF a serious re-listen.

Favorite track - Track that you personally like most. Maybe because you relate to it (Dear Mama or Roses if you've lost someone) or it had some insane punchlines that reference something you like...that kind of thing.

Best track - Most accurate showcase of an artist's talent.

That's how I percieve it. Makes sense to me because there's a lot of tracks that are meh to me unless heard in a specific setting (live in concert, alone, at a party, when I'm feeling s****y, etc).

MBlaze

Smash Champion
My Favorite - Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous or Devil in a New Dress

Best - Probably All of the Lights I'm not sure lmao.

When I get my Beats HD solos in red I'll re-listen to that album because right now the **** I have is broke in one headphone. ;[

Top Bottom