• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

soap

Smash Hero
Runaway is my favorite

Ye's verse contrasted vs. Pusha's is kinda deep for me

And the ending is kinda beautiful too

Also, this just dropped in my subscriptions. One of my favorite youtube "blenders". He kinda took a long break for school.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiwuMvpPW3c&feature=feedu

that reminds me I still need to check out Phonte's solo debut that just dropped. Halfway thru the Evidence joint, pretty dope.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Fave MBDTF track: Lost in the World or Dark Fantasy

Best: iunno who cares.

But yeah I like songs that aren't the 'best' a lot, there's definitely a difference. Like some **** I can just vibe with even if its not on the same level technically as another track.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I love All of the Lights, but it's not perfect because of the Cudi section. I hate that part. the vibes clash really weird with the rest of the song musically and lyrically.

Runaway is definitely my other favorite. Post-rock-hip-hop, lol.

rhan

Smash Hero
I can agree with that.

He either shouldn't have been in it or got a better part in the song.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Has anyone listened to Eminem and Royce 5'9 Bad meets Evil, Hell: The Sequel?

Thoughts?

:phone:

MBlaze

Smash Champion
It's official...

Someone needs to come and beat that ***. Especially for it being on the WRONG SIDE... AGAIN. Takin after Wayne lol.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Royce completely ***** Em's **** on Above the Law it wasn't even funny.. lol Take from Me and Loud Noises is cool.
Oh yeah that's another good one, and he definitely does hahaha. I don't like the chorus on Above the Law very much though. It's okay though. Those other two are good too.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I also find it ironic how he's wearing a red jacket with 5 stars incorporated into the design.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Oh yeah that's another good one, and he definitely does hahaha. I don't like the chorus on Above the Law very much though. It's okay though. Those other two are good too.
Yeah lmao the chorus from that wasn't too appealing, same with Take From Me because it was the same broad. I'm actually starting to think that she was the same chick that was on Furiously Dangerous, if so then that ***** needs to stop getting on and ruining the chorus's of hip hop records that would be just fine without her ***.
I also find it ironic how he's wearing a red jacket with 5 stars incorporated into the design.
I think someone dressed him and switch the colors between the jacket and flag. :troll:

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yeah lmao the chorus from that wasn't too appealing, same with Take From Me because it was the same broad. I'm actually starting to think that she was the same chick that was on Furiously Dangerous, if so then that ***** needs to stop getting on and ruining the chorus's of hip hop records that would be just fine without her ***.
Looool who even is that chick seriously. I hate when you hear a song and the verse is sick and then the chorus comes out and you're like 'why the **** did this man put this out' honestly. Like cheesy BS doesn't sound good on a heavy track. I like the Above the Law chorus more than Take From Me though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Looool who even is that chick seriously. I hate when you hear a song and the verse is sick and then the chorus comes out and you're like 'why the **** did this man put this out' honestly. Like cheesy BS doesn't sound good on a heavy track. I like the Above the Law chorus more than Take From Me though.
This is pretty much the biggest reason why Recovery is overall a big failure. I've never heard so many cheesy-*** hooks crammed into one album before. It's a shame because I think there are a lot of really amazing verses in there.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
post better.

Going Through Changes is a brutal onslaught of realness. Those verses really hit me hard, coming from a position where I can relate to Em's problems, the

"Now I'm poppin Vic's, perks and Methadone pills.
Yeah Em, tight verse, you killed it,
****in' drug dealers hang around me like "yes man",
And they gon' do whatever I says when, I says it,
It's in their best interest to protect their investment."

that takes balls to open yourself up to the world like that, knowing how real and pathetic it is. mad respect for that song. Em still has my admiration because he is one of the only rappers to really expose his weaknesses, without any self-delusion to such a degree.

Same way with that one song where he talks about how he was thinking about dissing Wayne or Kanye. The honesty and sincerity to put a line out like that, and then to straight up admit that he "would've had his @ss handed to me" is....good.

No Love isn't that impressive lyrically, it's just the same ol typical "I'm awesome" rapping but on a technical side it's really impressive to me. The speed and the subtle changeups in the flow are awesome and a huge contrast to Wayne's lazy-*** drawling.

I also like the second verse of "You're Never Over", which is a song I can't listen to because the chorus is so wack.

25 to Life is super clever, the way it sets itself up as a relationship/romance song and then flips it over when he reveals what it's really about.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Haha thanks for the discussion guys. I just started listening to the album and thought it was better then recovery, but wasn't great. Royce is pretty good, Eminem on the other hand is decent...

EDIT: The main reasons I did like Recovery to some extent.^

Second Verse of "You're never over" gets me so pumped. Agreed on the chorus...Eminem singing, hit or miss

"Spacebound", the first verse just worked really well in my mind. Plus it's very relatable, dam relationships.
Overall not great, I ****ing hate that Bruno Mars song.
This so hard, talk about overplayed.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
All MBDTF songs are ****ing epic. Can't pick a favorite, although if I had to I would say Runaway. Most underrated: Lost in the World and Devil in a New Dress. Most overrated: Power. But like I said I love every track. MBDTF and Late Registration are two albums that I honestly think are solid in almost every song, which can rarely be said about any modern albums.

soap

Smash Hero
lool keep that inbox beef out the thread

also, an Em vs. Wayne beef would be hilarious

they both have a long list of wack **** they could go in on each other with

Em would murder him tho imo... cuz he actually has dormant skill.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You just seriously gave me an inboxed warning for that bull****? lmao
yes. post better.

anyways. I'm trying to get into Hopsin, but for some reason I can't really vibe with him too much. I like his flow and some of his lyrics, but something is just "off" about something. I hate when that happens, when I dislike a song or artist and can't think of why.

soap

Smash Hero
Ya, hopsin seems dope. But that weird horrorcore factor just kinda puts me off a lil.

It doesn't help that the first vid I watched he had those gay contacts in.

that **** just seems gimmicky to me.

I dl'ed RAW, still gotta give that a listen.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
anyways. I'm trying to get into Hopsin, but for some reason I can't really vibe with him too much. I like his flow and some of his lyrics, but something is just "off" about something. I hate when that happens, when I dislike a song or artist and can't think of why.
EXACTLY the same problem I have with Lupe. Great lyrics, good flow, and I like him as a person. I recognize him as a good artist but just don't enjoy his stuff that much for whatever reason.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
yes. post better.

You check out Raw yet? It's pretty hot...first album I've purchased in awhile.

Btw, why are so many of our posters banned?? Wtf happened?

Edit: The eyes ARE a gimmick. They're in so that people would remember his face back when he was just another no-name artist amongst droves of dudes that look just like each other.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
post better.

Going Through Changes is a brutal onslaught of realness. Those verses really hit me hard, coming from a position where I can relate to Em's problems, the

"Now I'm poppin Vic's, perks and Methadone pills.
Yeah Em, tight verse, you killed it,
****in' drug dealers hang around me like "yes man",
And they gon' do whatever I says when, I says it,
It's in their best interest to protect their investment."

that takes balls to open yourself up to the world like that, knowing how real and pathetic it is. mad respect for that song. Em still has my admiration because he is one of the only rappers to really expose his weaknesses, without any self-delusion to such a degree.
It's like the dude just cuts himself open and bleeds all over the track. I love it when Eminem just goes balls to the wall and starts speaking straight off of his brain and out of his heart.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Still haven't heard it, lol.

One more reason to give it a listen now tho
Yeah I like it I still have to give it a few more spins though. His discography game hasn't had much of a caliber in my opinon.

Rock City - Was okay but didn't keep my attention a lot

Death is Certain - Talks too much about killing and at the time he was beefing with D12... Were they really stressing him out THAT bad? lol But yeah 2nd best imo

Independence Day - Didn't even bother

Street Hop - Was good but my complaint that it had fillers like double album and felt like one too, **** was long as hell for no reason lol.

Bar Exam 1 and 2 I've listened to was classic mixtape stuff. Just seems like he has the lyrical ability and once again in my opinion one of the best flows in the game. But his subject matter is either one of the following:

- I'm better than you
- These rappers suck
- Look how good I am

It's cool when he talks about his life and aspects of it and stuff but we rarely see that... lol His direction sometimes just seems aimless but it shows that he has rhymes for days; just needs a direction to put it in. Should talk about his experiences and life more.

Top Bottom