• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Suspect

Smash Hero
Lil b ruining that cam song.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with him? Is he remedial? Can't believe how hip-hop/rap has turned out.

:phone:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
There's plenty of good artists out now...Hip Hop is pretty healthy currently, imo. At least, it is underground.

Don't let Lil'B ruin it for you, lol.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I am not crazy about the new Mixtape.

gun reference, ***** lickin reference, coke reference, punchline/ liquor reference, blooded reference, gun refrence, punchline/

I have just summed up pretty much all of what Lil Wayne will do. Wayne is just not doing anything special with this mixtape.
U forgot him being the **** reference. Srsly, Wayne fans explain to me how he is good plz.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
ಠ_ಠ

10 ಠ_ಠs
Tyler tries too hard and it shows. Don't get me wrong, he's decently dope and a fresh breath of air compared to most modern popular hip hop. I love Tyler and I love Goblin (mostly). I said that to show that's how much I respect/love I'm Gay now. Based God doesn't try at all and is just naturally sick. It's not as lyrical (if you consider Goblin to be so) but its still dope

I don't understand people who are all about one side of hip-hop (not accusing anyone specifically except that guy who said J Cole is the only thing holding hip hop up).Hip Hop's not just lyrics. and it's not just beats/hooks. You aren't being a hypocrite if your favorite rapper is Talib Kweli and you love Lil Wayne or 3-6 Mafia. I'm sure there are many people out there who only like mainstream/stupid stuff and some who only like conscious/underground stuff but to me that is sad because there's so much catharsis to be found in all spectrums.

but then again, there are very few things in music that I don't like so, I am very uncritical and I judge music by my emotional reaction more than anything else so take my words lightly!

soap

Smash Hero
I agree with I'm gay > Goblin. Goblin felt gimmicky to me, I'm gay was some heartfelt ****. It bothers me cuz I think Tyler has mad crazy lyrical and creative potential. I'm sick of his angle, I just wanna hear him go in.

Speaking of going in, J. Cole is my favorite rapper right now. He goes in.

Lit

Smash Ace
Kendrick Lamar is cool but Dom Kennedy is that work. I honestly think he is the new voice for California

Jane

Smash Hero
****, i wish i wasnt on my phone. So many things i want to reply to but its so inconvenient on my phone.

Sus: well every modern genre of music worth its salt is going to have a big chunk of ****ty music. Some of the things you mentioned arent even that bad. Homo- whats wrong with gay music? ****ty dances- thats subjective and a lot of people such as myself embrace all the stupid dances because theyre fun to do. Uneducated music- well, hate to break it to you homie but a lot of people that make hip hop music aremt very educated. Besides, why does hip hop even have to have an educated message? There is hip hop with elevated lyrics and there is hip hop with simple lyrics. Just listen to what you prefer, but no need to fault hip hop as a whole or hate what its become.

Savon

Smash Ace
I have accepted certain songs simply for what they are and what they are intended for. I might not be crazy about Waka, but dammit his music is good for parties. Who wants to listen to Nas at a party? Nobody that's who

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Lil B sucks testicles. IMO. You like him, then that's cool. But when I hear about how he's so ground breaking and pushing boundaries it drives me insane.

To me he's a gimmick. The stuff he comes out with is just there for shock value. His verse on that Wayne track was so bad it pissed me off. I can't see how he's taken seriously. And when I say that I'm not screaming for him to start being the next Nas. I'm just saying to me he's not a credible artist.

Being off beat isn't dope. It's annoying. Talking nonsense isn't refreshing. It's infuriating.

As much as it may annoy you, to me, that is not good hip hop. That's BS.

But hey, the world keeps spinning!

-Goes and listens to Everyday Struggle-

*I don't want to live no more.......*

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Side note no.1 - dude comes out with an album called I'm Gay and Suspect getting hated on for calling it homo. You couldn't make this up.

Side note no.2 - at what point does dat ass stop making up for all the other BS?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Side note no.1 - dude comes out with an album called I'm Gay and Suspect getting hated on for calling it homo. You couldn't make this up.

Side note no.2 - at what point does dat ass stop making up for all the other BS?

I never thought I would see the day where I felt anything N9NE said was straight up ********...but here we are. this highlights hip hop's one true weakness.

Unfortunately, Lil B decided to expand on his "I'm Gay" album title to the point that it completely dilutes the message he was trying to spread. The actual album title is "I'm Gay(e) (I'm Happy)" to make sure *******es understood the point he was getting across, and apparently that STILL wasn't enough to get across to some people, even fairly intelligent people like N9NE.

At no point in its running time is "I'm Gay" literally about homosexuality. The title has nothing to do with sexual preferences. It has EVERYTHING to do with people's perception of words.

How is calling something "homo" a legitimate criticism? You are disappointing me son.

If you will, explain to me what "homo" means to you musically, and how it is something that should be avoided.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's obvious he named the album that just for the publicity, i don't care what he says it's supposed to mean "artistically" because he really just wanted to ruffle people's feathers and call attention to himself.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, other artists have been doing crazy **** to get people to listen to their music for years.
lolkanyewest

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It's obvious he named the album that just for the publicity, i don't care what he says it's supposed to mean "artistically" because he really just wanted to ruffle people's feathers and call attention to himself.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, other artists have been doing crazy **** to get people to listen to their music for years.
lolkanyewest
What does it matter what "it's supposed to mean"?

In 60 years when lil B or Kanye West is dead, all that matters is the interpretation of his artistic output. It is pointless to ponder on what the artist intended. All that matters is what is garnered from the PIECE, not the ARTIST. And furthermore, who are you to tell someone what their artistic intention was? What makes it obvious that he titled his album such "just for publicity"? and what difference does that make to your emotional reaction to it?

I swear, everyone who is ****ting on I'm Gay haven't even listened to it.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wait, what?
Music is all about the meaning...
I wasn't even insulting it/him, I even said "That's not necessarily a bad thing."
You act as if I just kicked you in the balls or something.

Also:

What does it matter what "it's supposed to mean"?

In 60 years when lil B or Kanye West is dead, all that matters is the interpretation of his artistic output.
Derp.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Music is all about the meaning, sure, but it is not all about the artist's meaning. It is all about the meaning the audience derives from it, regardless of what the artist intended. So, by this logic, it DOESN'T matter if Lil B named his album I'm Gay just for the reaction or not. DISREGARD the artist intention.

All that matters is the reaction YOU have to it. You were talking as if the artist's intention was the only thing that mattered. I was correcting you, is all. No kick in the balls or overemotionality going on at all. Why does the artist's viewpoint even matter at all? A piece of art can live on without the artist, but a piece of art is NOTHING without an audience. Good effort though, at trying to make me look like some uneducated *******. Art is NOTHING without interpretation. If you actually read and processed what I said, you might have had a case, but as it is- oh well.

Suspect

Smash Hero
I don't even like to party, kinda just chill fests/kickbacks. And yea id listen to nas at it.

Also, Luigitoilet is obv a lil b fanboy, don't lie craig

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
The 15 Most Disappointing Things in Hip Hop History

15. The first 2 singles off Detox

10 years of anticipation and all fans got were ‘Kush’ and I Need a Doctor? No,what fans need is a new single. The underwhelming tracks released so far have fans really forgetting about Detox, and left pondering whether Dre has really reached Larry Holmes status. .

14. 50 Cent after Get Rich or Die Tryin’

The raw aggression, impact, and overall sound of Get Rich Or Die Tryin’ has become stuff of legend. But unfortunately for fans, after 50 got rich, he stopped trying. He lost his hunger, his passion and his attention seeking antics have pretty much made him Hip Hop’s Ocho Cinco.

13. The Over-Saturation of Rappers

The easy accessibility of recording equipment, social-networking and other factors have created more and more rappers and has ultimately watered down the game. Just because you went in the studio to record a song doesn’t make you a rapper, it just makes you a guy that went in the studio.

12.Def Jam Records (The Current Era)

Once the New York Yankees of Hip Hop, the legendary record label, thanks to ex-boss L.A. Reid has turned into a place where hip hop artists go to be shelved and never to be heard from again. Can you remember the last time they released an actual hip hop album? Somewhere Russell Simmons and Rick Rubin are rolling over in their graves.

11. Biggie’s Posthumous “Duets” Album

The genius at Bad Boy Records who decided fans actually wanted to hear a song from Biggie that featured Nelly, Jagged Edge, Korn, T.I., Slim Thug and other random pop artists should’ve been fired ASAP; but something tells us that “genius” was Diddy, and unfortunately he can’t fire himself.

10. Joe Budden

Rapper turned internet personality Joe Budden hasn’t exactly materialized as an artist; he has the tools, but not the work ethic and decision-making. The Jersey MC now known more for his bizarre antics than his music is quickly becoming one of the biggest busts of this generation. We’re talking Jamarcus Russell, Greg Oden status.

9. Nastradamus

Nasty Nas to Esco to Nastradamus? This 1999 release was what sparked Jay Z to conclude that Nas went from Nasty Nas to Esco’s trash. But to Nas’ credit, he set the standards so high that anything below the level of an “Illmatic” or “It Was Written” would be labeled as a disappointment.

#8 Bad Boy Records (Post Biggie Era)
Bad Boy Records without Biggie Smalls has pretty much been the Cleveland Cavaliers without LeBron.

Some of the free-agent signings made by Coach Diddy

Da Band

B5

Cherri Dennis

G-Dep

Mark Curry (Hangin with Mr Cooper?)

Shyne

Elephant Man

Cassie

Day 26
Aasim
Danity Kane

# 7: Eminem “Relapse”

You know your album sucks when you have to apologize to your fans about it, as was the case with Eminem when he admitted that his ‘Relapse’ album was trash. But for the honest nature in which he took responsibility for creating less than stellar work, we’ll let him slide just a little.

# 6: Tupac’s “Loyal to the Game” (Produced by Eminem)

In 2004 Eminem wrote a letter to Afeni Shakur asking to produce an entire 2pac album, the result? ‘Loyal to the Game’, which was pretty much a G-Unit/Shady records compilation album that featured 2pac. While attempting to elevate Pac’s status, Eminem inadvertently damaged his own, as a producer nonetheless.

# 5: Jay Z “Super Ugly” (Response to Nas’ Ether)

After Nas famously dropped the napalm bomb “Ether”, someone in Hov’s administration should’ve advised him to lay low for a while, go on vacation until things simmered down, ala Camron’. But Hov’s ego wouldn’t allow it, he released “Super-Ugly” and with that, he simultaneously dug himself into a deeper hole and eliminated any argument as to who actually won the battle.

# 4: BET Cancelling “Uncut”
For all the inappropriate and embarrassing programming BET already showcases, did it really serve a purpose to cancel the most entertaining and outrageous show of all time? (Think Worldstarhiphop on Cable TV). Where else could fans watch the legendary “What That Thang Smell Like” and “Tip Drill” videos?

# 3: Jay Z “Kingdom Come”"

In 2006, Jay Z, to the surprise of no-one, abruptly came out of “retirement” and released his comeback album “Kingdom Come”. The album was critically panned and fans were left scratching their heads. Hov didn’t come back like Jordan wearing the “4-5”, he came back like he was Jordan still playing at the age of 45.

# 2: Shyne (Post-Prison)

Torturing fans with his god-awful music should’ve been a violation of Shyne’s probation, his high pitched voice (prison will do that to a guy) and ackward sound ended his career before it even got a chance to re-start. If shooting a woman in the face gets you a 9 year prison term, then releasing the music Shyne did warrants at-least 5 to 10.

# 1: Canibus

In 1997 Canibus was pound for pound the best MC in the game, even Nas once said he feared Canibus lyrically. However, the hype surrounding his amazing guest verses and now-legendary freestyles didn’t translate into any sort of mainstream success. His inability to create an actual “song” that had any replay value ultimately doomed his career. The Len Bias of Hip Hop, career ended before it even started.
http://hiphop365.com/2011/07/15-most-disappointing-things-in-hip-hop-history-3/

Can't say I agree with most of these.

Top Bottom