• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
what's "street customs" supposed to entail?

anyways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwRGPxCG_Y I LOVE THIS BEAT
Nujabes >>>
LOL that marijuana dude got banned

):
lol he was spamming some thread in the pool room, but ****. he got banned quick.
Just a question for everyone. Whats your favorite underground MC. Mines Funky DL.
Joe Budden...if you consider him underground. if not....hmmmmm gotta look through my underground stash.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I mean, what does that have to do with the rest of your point? Proper grammar when referring to dead people is strictly a gangster life concept? I guess I'm not hard enough to care about minutiae like that. :bee:

my favorite underground rapper? Now, it's probably Nov from Vegas
No, those are two completely different points.

You called the present and past terms "semantics" when they weren't.

Besides, it's kinda silly to argue semantics like that. I don't think it's much of a difference to say a dead person "is from" somewhere.
The video showcases several examples of street code and ethnics. It was a memorial, they are still remembered throughout the community.

The other part of my post was an unrelated point that had nothing to do with the first.

Niko45

Smash Master
Really tough to be negative about J Cole at all...

Budden is a man among boys in the underground if he were to be considered underground, which I wouldn't personally.

I'd say Slug is my favorite underground mc, but underground mc's are generally terrible so it's not an incredible distinction either way.

Jane

Smash Hero
Happened a little while ago, but this recently surpassed the Kpop discussion and is now the 2nd most replied to topic in MM.

Congrats, Jonny :)
Fawk yess! Cant stop wont stop! Even though the kpop thread could easily argue that their thread is cooler due to their sweet sig Dx hahah

@niko why wouldnt you consider budden underground? There is only mainstream and underground, would you REALLYY consider budden mainstream?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
^Budden > your favorite underground rapper.

@Jane: when you put it like that, there's no way he's mainstream lol. dude is a lil too depressing every now and then to have a steady mainstream career.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well, I have some trouble getting into Joe. He's got all the pieces: great lyrics, solid flow, good delivery, and amazing freestyling. But I just don't like the way some of his songs are organized. You know, he'll have like a 7 minute song where he just raps on and on with no chorus or break or something of that sort. I think it's a result of him having a freestyling background, so he's used to no stopping. But it can become a bit tedious when it's on a record. So that's probably why cheeseburger thinks he's monotonous. Me, I think he's great at rapping, but I just don't like the way many of his songs are organized, and I often don't like the production either.

So, I would call him a great rapper, but my favorite? No. And it's really just due to a difference in our stylistic preferences.

Niko45

Smash Master
Fawk yess! Cant stop wont stop! Even though the kpop thread could easily argue that their thread is cooler due to their sweet sig Dx hahah

@niko why wouldnt you consider budden underground? There is only mainstream and underground, would you REALLYY consider budden mainstream?
I guess it depends on your definition of underground/mainstream I mean I'll always remember Joe's debut on Def Jam so that might cloud my judgement. Focus and Pump it Up were everywhere, on heavy rotation in the clubs and on BET.

I also pretty much don't know anybody who doesn't like Joe Budden, for what that's worth, so that might influence me as well (if you haven't heard of Joe Budden by now...where have you been?)

His content has its depressing/thought provoking side but its also got its fair share of gunplay/hood ****. It's pretty similar to past mainstream formulas (Jay/Nas?)

So I guess maybe in 2010, he's not quite mainstream? He's certainly not Drake, but can you really go back to underground after you've already broken through? Would anyone actually consider somebody like Jadakiss or Camron as underground? If I had to put him on one side or another, I'd associate him with people like 50/Banks/Fab before I associated him with like Slug or Murs or something like that, and I don't consider that a bad thing at all.

I also might just DQ him from underground cause...he's simply too good for underground. Who competes with him skill-wise? The underground genre doesn't emphasize MC skills as much as it emphasizes stoner beats and **** like that. When I think of underground I think of laid-back/chill/nice "music," but when I think of somebody like Joe Budden I think of killed verses, hype beats, and great punchlines. That probably sounds ******** to define as mainstream in 2010 but that's still how I think of it.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
So I heard we're talking about Joe Budden?

I actually haven't listened to any Joe in like a week. Haven't checked his site in like a month.

I need to see a doctor.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Yes J. Cole is definitely gettin up there. Can't wait for that album to drop.
"Cole World" 2010 gonna be amazing!!!!

i thinkkkkk.....Oct 26. hope they push it back. he doesn't have a big enough buzz yet for his album to do really well.

Enter The Hedgehog is pretty **** dope. forgot about that.

but this is charle's best song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF4We3DOHJY
I agree, they need to push it back until November or something *It really hurt to type that lol*.
And this guy just put me onto Mr.Hamilton, because most of the stuff I heard from him was straight garbage. But I enjoyed that song =]
Recommend me stuff plsss ;D

If anyones overrated its Drake. He cant freestyle. he has to say uh or yea after a bar(thats how you know that drake writes lyrics on his blackberry). The only reason why his famous is because he has the female appeal. He's not a MC nor a rapper. Drake is fake. and heres a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKSeyYFGRo
Whoa, let's not be too hasty here sir.
Drake may be OVER-rated *pun ;3*, he may be a mediocre singer, and he may also be *** at freestyling *****s hard man* but he's not an all around terrible MC. The guy knows the elements of making a good mainstream song *See: Show Me A Good Time and Over". Not a ****ty mainstream song *See: How Low Can You Go and All White Bricks*. Some of his earlier songs are also very lyrically sound, and well thought out *See: Say You Will and Fear*. I'm not a girl so I can't speak on the female appeal part, but about the freestyling. I can say from a rappers point of view, that being put on the spot can kind of suck. Freestyling isn't easy, and even if you practice everyday it'll still take a good minute to get even decent at it *not to make excuses for drake, cuz I mean...atleast attempt and then whip out the blackberry*. That's my take anyway.

Just a question for everyone. Whats your favorite underground MC. Mines Funky DL.
I just got put on to Benefit from Atlanta, and I'm really diggin the dude.
Other than that, does blu count? If not then Joey if he counts...lol

lol

somebody's salty
Truth =/= salt

I actually haven't listened to any Joe in like a week. Haven't checked his site in like a month.

I need to see a doctor.
Lol this was quite funny.

Anyway I've been really on band MC's lately *I just joined a band, I need styles to mold mine*, and I've gained a newfound respect for Travis McCoy. Black Thought will likely always be on the top of that division, however you can't sleep on Travie. He's like a more fun contrast to Black Thought's usual serious nature. I never really cared for gym class, until I actually started listening to the actual instrumental elements of the band and how well they compliment Travis's strengths as an MC.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
BTW What are yall thoughts on the whole Food and Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album? I know we have only heard Go To Sleep. WHich I just recently heard and that **** is mad dope. But Lasers isn't even out and he is leaking **** from his next album? I'm just curious to know what yall are thinking.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I just talked about that a couple of pages ago.

Lupe's more than likely leaving Atlantic Records for the bull**** they put him through. Plus with Go to Sleep already being released and having named his 4th studio album already, his chances of doing so are incredibly high.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
G.O.O.D. Music wouldn't really suit him.

Well, I take that back. It wouldn't suit the old Lupe. Considering he's sorta playing the hypocritical game now, he's fit in well.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I guess it depends on your definition of underground/mainstream I mean I'll always remember Joe's debut on Def Jam so that might cloud my judgement. Focus and Pump it Up were everywhere, on heavy rotation in the clubs and on BET.

I also pretty much don't know anybody who doesn't like Joe Budden, for what that's worth, so that might influence me as well (if you haven't heard of Joe Budden by now...where have you been?)

His content has its depressing/thought provoking side but its also got its fair share of gunplay/hood ****. It's pretty similar to past mainstream formulas (Jay/Nas?)

So I guess maybe in 2010, he's not quite mainstream? He's certainly not Drake, but can you really go back to underground after you've already broken through? Would anyone actually consider somebody like Jadakiss or Camron as underground? If I had to put him on one side or another, I'd associate him with people like 50/Banks/Fab before I associated him with like Slug or Murs or something like that, and I don't consider that a bad thing at all.

I also might just DQ him from underground cause...he's simply too good for underground. Who competes with him skill-wise? The underground genre doesn't emphasize MC skills as much as it emphasizes stoner beats and **** like that. When I think of underground I think of laid-back/chill/nice "music," but when I think of somebody like Joe Budden I think of killed verses, hype beats, and great punchlines. That probably sounds ******** to define as mainstream in 2010 but that's still how I think of it.
agreed with the entire passage. though i'd like to add that a lot of underground music also consists of "anti-mainstream" lyrics aka "I can't make a hit so **** it. i'll just complain"

I need to see a doctor.
haven't listened in a week? you slackin, son.....then again. all i've been listening to lately is electro/trance **** so i can't talk. and his site sucks. same dudes making threads about the same **** all the time.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Where?

And what was the name of the song?

And why can't he just convert to Christianity like the other good Muslims.
(hurr durr)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Saw him at North Coast Music Festival in Chicago. Saw Nas and Damian Marley as well.

Uhh I don't remember the name but I took lots of video on my phone so I can look back through and figure it out. I was hella close too.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
He sang that and he was like air-skateboarding across the stage and stuff. His interactions with the crowd were great. And it didn't hurt that most of the people there knew all his songs (aside from the new tracks).

CheeseBurger

Banned via Administration
He sang that and he was like air-skateboarding across the stage and stuff. His interactions with the crowd were great. And it didn't hurt that most of the people there knew all his songs (aside from the new tracks).
that's pretty sick haha

Where?

And what was the name of the song?

And why can't he just convert to Christianity like the other good Muslims.
(hurr durr)
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

wow

WOW

Jane

Smash Hero
Nice vrael im mad jealous!

Also wtf, do i call you vrael or solid? xD

Im pretty sure he was joking guys, hence the hurr durr in spoiler tags? >____>

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Nice vrael im mad jealous!

Also wtf, do i call you vrael or solid? xD

Im pretty sure he was joking guys, hence the hurr dyrr in sp9iler tags? >____>
Lol man I don't care, call me whatever you want to lol.

But cheap *** Chicago cut off the sound when Nas and Damian were saying goodbye, it sucked.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
one good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain - Bob Marley (recorded in 1971)

one thing bout music when it hits you feel no pain - Dead Prez (released in 2000)

one thing bout music when it hits you feel no pain - Drake (released in 2010)

Dead Prez and Drake were just paying homage.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Calm down, it's not that big a deal.

Blu - I like the site. It does get repetitive at times, but so does this site.

Lol at cookie's randomness.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Okay, I apologize.

Plus the fact that 9/11 is right around the corner was prolly what made it go too far <_<

Top Bottom