• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

World Cup Discussion

Atlus8

Smash Master

Jun.

Smash Lord
who are we to say that our news is any more legitimate than North Korean news?

food for thought

Jun.

Smash Lord
Because our citizens are allowed to travel to other countries and travel back, so we can verify a lot of it. North Koreans can't do the same.
News channels are being paid millions and possibly billions in total by political parties to spoon feed us (the mass public) news and a small percentage of our free world traveling to foreign countries and writing blogs and editorials doesn't really effect the grand scale.

Sure we can confirm trivial things such as soccer scores and olympic results but when it comes to issues where our opinion matters and large sums of money are involved, we are swayed just as easily by a greater force.

pockyD

Smash Legend
sounds like someone just started college at a liberal school and has "had their eyes opened"

spare us your hippie bull****! USA *****

Jun.

Smash Lord
I'm sending this food back to the kitchen.

We can independently verify most news that we are "spoonfed."

we can also verify that a lot of the news that N. K. gets is propaganda.
What you think and independently think about does not represent the presumptions of the public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilG7PCV448

Of course its also skewed in itself but do you really think the people in that video are "independently verifying" their news?

DanteFox

Smash Champion
What you think and independently think about does not represent the presumptions of the public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilG7PCV448

Of course its also skewed in itself but do you really think the people in that video are "independently verifying" their news?
looks like pocky was right.

you're talking about two different things. The accuracy of our available news and our ability to verify it vs. people that are not educated on a public policy.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
I'm sending this food back to the kitchen.

We can independently verify most news that we are "spoonfed."

we can also verify that a lot of the news that N. K. gets is propaganda.
dunno i really dont like jun but "spoonfed" is a great word for it

we get a ton of propaganda dude, it's just covert. don't believe me? ask anyone what they think about meth/cocaine/lsd/ecstasy/marijuana. all propaganda our parents still believe.

usa = bull**** country. not sure what's better but i know bull**** when i see it.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
News channels are being paid millions and possibly billions in total by political parties to spoon feed us (the mass public) news and a small percentage of our free world traveling to foreign countries and writing blogs and editorials doesn't really effect the grand scale.

Sure we can confirm trivial things such as soccer scores and olympic results but when it comes to issues where our opinion matters and large sums of money are involved, we are swayed just as easily by a greater force.
So maybe your opinion was swayed by the news and media to think this way and it's not actually the truth? Dun dun dun. Your own argument is invalidated by your own argument.

Let me explain to why you I said what I said. As an example. if I see on the news that the people in France are not allowed to own guns, I can take a flight to France and ask everyone their if they are allowed to buy guns. I can then take a video of a French citizen buying a gun, making copies of it and go back home and distribute it all over youtube and show everyone that the media lied about it. Thus I can verify whether what the media is telling me is accurate or not. People in North Korea can't do this.

You are taking this to a really extreme level. It's true that we are fed a lot of propoganda and are influenced what to think, but to make the claim that nothing we know is true and everything we know can be a lie, or that we on the same level of a totalitarian dictatorship like North Korea that doesn't even allow anything close to immigration or free travel in and out of its borders is stretching it way too much.

Back to the world cup. NOOOOOOO japan!! I hate penalty kicks. I hated them when they decided the final match between Italy and France in 06 and I hate them now. I feel so cheated when teams lose by 'em.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
well nothing is actually the "truth" if you wanna be pedantic...

D

Deleted member

it sucks that england and mexico lost sunday

the refs making the calls are blind

wish I was mexican

Atlus8

Smash Master
Brazil played Chile and is playing Netherlands next . . . it ain't that easy! Semi-finals for them will be very easy for them because they play either Uruguay or Ghana!

Edit - I'd rather go for the Wimbledon thing!

pockyD

Smash Legend
penalty kicks are all they've got to finish the game. Otherwise they might play for days, Wimbledon style.
they could adopt something similar to the nhl regular season overtime, which IIRC involves removing players from the field (so overtime is played 4v4)... in soccer, it could be 10v10 for the first OT period, then 9v9 after 30 mins, 8v8 after 30 more, etc. to increase scoring chances... and of course you can vary the rate you remove players if this goes too quickly // slowly

PKs are simply too different from the regular game; I think it would be just as logical to have the captains of each team run a 100-meter dash to determine the winner

Adam M!

Smash Lord
they could adopt something similar to the nhl regular season overtime, which IIRC involves removing players from the field (so overtime is played 4v4)...

PKs are simply too different from the regular game
4x4 is v different from 5x5 though... so you're merely changing it to another mediocre OT format. not as familiar w/ soccer but 4x4 makes a huuuge difference in hockey, enough that you're arguing v yourself.

pockyD

Smash Legend
but it deviates less than a shootout

sure it's not 'perfect' (playing forever is the closest you get to 'perfect'), but it's noticeably closer to the real game

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
well nothing is actually the "truth" if you wanna be pedantic...
I wanna be pedantic, so I'm going to further pedant this by saying that actually some things may be the "truth" but we can't know it's the truth to 100% certitude.

Also, in the NHL, the 4v4 overtime period is only 5 min, then they go to a shootout (regular season only, in the playoffs they just keep playing 20 min periods 5v5 sudden death). I don't know the stats for how many NHL games get resolved in the 5 min OT and how many go to shootout, but it is definitely easier to score 4v4 than 5v5. In soccer, goals are significantly rarer than in hockey, so you have to do something more drastic in order to end the game in an economical amount of time. Maybe removing offsides or something.

Adam M!

Smash Lord

sure it's not 'perfect' (playing forever is the closest you get to 'perfect'), but it's noticeably closer to the real game
so why not just suggest you play regular season rules forever until the first team scores

if it goes on forever then it goes on forever.

pockyD

Smash Legend
as a game purist that would be the approach i'd advocate

but when there are other logistical concerns, we can't just leave it at that

pockyD

Smash Legend
actually aren't world cup games scheduled one per day per stadium? (unlike the olympics or whatever)

they should play forever!

DanteFox

Smash Champion

Penalties are part of the "real game." They're in the rules. Players devote a considerable amount of time to practicing them, so idk what the big deal is.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
that has nothing to do with pocky's point

go back to not posting *****

pockyD

Smash Legend
Penalties are part of the "real game." They're in the rules. Players devote a considerable amount of time to practicing them, so idk what the big deal is.
swing and a miss

running is part of the game too. like i said, they should just settle it with a 100m dash

DanteFox

Smash Champion
running is a means to an end. in theory, you could win a game of soccer simply by walking. You couldn't win without scoring a goal. :p

besides, FIFA has bigger problems at the moment than penalty kicks.

dumb refs who refuse to use video playback

Top Bottom