• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winter Game Fest VI - Feat. DrPP, M2K, Mango - $4000 Smash Pot - $7K Tot. Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
lovage - there are prizes for all the side events that have tournaments. what those prizes are depends on which sponsorships come back. usually it'll be something like a fight stick, gaming keyboard/mouse, or other gaming related accessory. still pretty sweet for a free tournament though

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I would like to come but only if Melee and Brawl are on different days. Please (at least don't have all of the important matches within the same hour timespan). Please try to find a way to separate the big matches from each game and my attendance will be guaranteed.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i wish tos would stop combining brawl w/ melee just for short-sighted greed becuz if u do that there become less brawlers and more meleers and over the long term u prob get more attendance anyway

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
M2K - there's not really much anyone can do about the format of the tournament simply due to time constraints. however brawl typically takes several hours longer than melee to finish. so while i can't guarantee that you won't have to switch between games a few times, it's very unlikely that you'll have big matches in both games during a small time frame.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Azn_lep - what about doing things such as Melee bracket and brawl pools at the same time? In this way, I can get by the freebie brawl stuff (pools) while doing the hard Melee stuff. I would GREATLY appreciate something like this, and shouldn't be too hard to do. Thanks

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
it's a little trickier than just that. i'm actually really interested in working out a system for this though because i know there are several brawl/melee players that would benefit a lot from dispersing hard matches in both events. The easiest solution is to run the events on different schedules. for example

Day 1
Melee Singles Pools
Melee Singles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Pools
Brawl Singles Pools

Day 2
Melee Doubles Pools
Melee Doubles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Bracket
Brawl Singles Bracket

the only problem is that the solution doesn't sit well with everyone else.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
i'm under the impression that most melee players don't like to jump right into singles, and putting doubles there would really solve the scheduling problem. i also surveyed around 15 smashers and they almost unanimously agreed that they wanted pools the first day, there were 1 or 2 that said all of doubles, and no one said just singles. i don't know whether or not changing the schedule would be a big deal, but it seems that personal preference favors the original schedule, well for the few people i asked at least.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
people whine about change no matter what you do. do what is the best for the most people. people will respect it regardless if they agree with it. *** anyone else's *****ing unless they have valid alternatives.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
If people pass up a large tournament that has been ran well for years just because they want doubles first, that's a personal problem.

Atlus8

Smash Master
It kinda kills hype to have singles first then doubles! Pat's House didn't have that big finish in the end! Also, I think Melee community should get what they want cause we're the ones that bring most of the setups! If you were at the last Winter Game Fest, you would know . . .

Adam M!

Smash Lord
miguel there's more hype for videos than there is at the actual tournament nowadays..

also the thing is melee always has more setups. so if we don't give brawl our setups, which we **** sure shouldn't be, melee's gonna finish faster. so as long as ur not gay and dont leave early, that's a ton of free time for friendlies / mms / teams. and thats what really matters!

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
Day 1
Melee Singles Pools
Melee Singles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Pools
Brawl Singles Pools

Day 2
Melee Doubles Pools
Melee Doubles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Bracket
Brawl Singles Bracket
i really like this schedule

people whine about change no matter what you do. do what is the best for the most people. people will respect it regardless if they agree with it. *** anyone else's *****ing unless they have valid alternatives.
agreed.if you try to please one group, then the other half of the world will still complain

If people pass up a large tournament that has been ran well for years just because they want doubles first, that's a personal problem.
word

Set up count from the last one
Melee: 8-10

Brawl: 4

LOL
lol.i was gonna make some kind of "brawl sucks anyway" comment but this does all the work for me

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
alright i'll let people voice opinions about the tournament schedule for the next week and tally up the votes. which ever one has more by the end of the week will be the format.

this way the only people that can legitimately complain are the people who voted and lost. everyone else has no johns cuz they coulda changed it if they took the time.

OPTION A Classic
Day 1
Melee Singles Pools
Melee Doubles Pools

Brawl Doubles Pools
Brawl Singles Pools

Day 2
Melee Doubles Bracket
Melee Singles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Bracket
Brawl Singles Bracket

OPTION B New
Day 1
Melee Singles Pools
Melee Singles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Pools
Brawl Singles Pools

Day 2
Melee Doubles Pools
Melee Doubles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Bracket
Brawl Singles Bracket

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
advantages of option A
everyone knows and loves it
tons of good matches on day 2
provides hype for grand finals

advantages of option B
brawl/melee players get to focus on one game at a time
hype for day 1 goes to melee, hype for day 2 goes to brawl

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I choose option A

i think m2k should still go but only enter brawl. i don't remember where, but i saw m2k mention that the only reason he entered melee at apex was because people bugged him to.

it looks like option A is gonna win so my advice to m2k (or any player with a similar struggle) is to stick to just one event. you either play brawl or melee and if you feel confident enough, play both?

you can still play melee friendlies with people. anyways, i hope you still decide to come m2k!

Atlus8

Smash Master
You can switch the hype days for the game!

OPTION C

Day 1
Brawl Singles Pools
Brawl Singles Bracket

Melee Doubles Pools
Melee Singles Pools

Day 2
Brawl Doubles Pools
Brawl Doubles Bracket

Melee Doubles Bracket
Melee Singles Bracket

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
oh snap atlus, good point

at first i wanted to avoid that because i was thinking that none of the UCSD students would come back for the second day since they're all there for brawl, whereas the melee folk are actually part of the community. but then i realized that the UCSD students only enter brawl singles anyways, so maybe it'd be a good thing if they didn't have to wait around for 7 hours to play. alright so lets reset the poll with option C in mind.

OPTION C advantages
Doesn't affect the melee tournament
Let's brawl/melee players focus on one game at a time
Puts the hype on 2 separate days (Day 1 Brawl, Day 2 Melee)

disadvantages
it's very likely that brawl doubles is going to get an abysmal number of entrants

MacD

Banned via Administration
since meleers decided they want pools the first day and bracket the second, let the brawlers decided what they wanna do with their schedule

that way the brawlers are mad us melee kids picked their schedule for them

DJMirror

Smash Master
I hope that The Melee community doesn't carry the Brawl community on the term of set ups. Like really? Brawl only got like 4 set ups?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
SC2 tournament is going to be interesting with no lan play :p

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Hey Pat, I can help out with TO stuff for either game. I can bring an extra laptop if you need one also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom