• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wind Waker Link Confirmed? Animal Crosser deconfirmed?

Smash Apprentice
That or he thought it was TOO corny to own people with bees and fishing poles.

Albeit I think we can all agree it's better than sex.

See, that still doesn't make any dammed sense.

This is the guy who left in a moveset involving gaseous expulsions despite the fact that many people were put off by it.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
wouldn't people get an AC character confused with all the other villagers in the background of the AC stage? It just feels like a series that's better left with a stage than anything else.

EPX2

Smash Ace
See, that still doesn't make any dammed sense.

This is the guy who left in a moveset involving gaseous expulsions despite the fact that many people were put off by it.
*shrugs*

I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps he felt it just didn't feel too "natural." After all, the AC series is one of peaceful, relaxing games, right? Maybe he just found it out of character to have someone from AC knocking people to oblivion with a fishing rod. Whatever the reason, it's apparent that there won't be an AC character.

Smash Apprentice
This situation and the Ness situation are in no way comparable. The Ness situation arised because people were so idiotically adamant on insisting that Ness was not going to return because "Sakurai even said so." These morons refused to accept the fact that there were multiple ways to interpret the quote that supposedly confirmed Ness' exclusion - and it just so happened that "Ness has been a character in the SSB series thus far" was the correct interpretation. Short of fooling yourself into believing otherwise, there is no way to read Sakurai's statements in the interview as anything other than, "There is no AC character, period." I'm definitely against making hasty, unfounded conclusions, but this is far from being that. Sorry, but it's pretty clear this time.
Tell me, how is that any different from people dismissing all Animal Crossing characters just because he said Mr. Resetti isn't feasible?

This is the exact same case.

There are many ways to read it so that it doesn't exclude all Animal Crossing characters.
For one, he says "I mean, there are lots of popular games with characters that just aren’t meant for fighting and were too hard to incorporate into the Smash Bros. title."

Not once does he say "there are lots of popular games in which all the characters aren't meant for fighting".

<there exists> x != <for all> x

Take a logic class.

As for the quote, it's in direct reference to "Take Mr. Resetti from Animal Crossing or the dog from Nintendogs. How did you go about choosing these characters? "

I'm not saying it's likely. Just saying it's possible.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
If Sakurai would make a huge update saying GENO ISN'T IN on the site in bold flashing letters, people here would still argue it's sarcasm because of the caps.

schlepboogie

Smash Apprentice
Clearly not the silent villagers with axes.

/rimshot
well rimjob, im not saying the ac have much of a chance after this article, im just saying in my opinion, the generic villagers are alot more interesting than some ****ty nes hardware turned humanoid.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
This doesn't mean Wind Waker Link is in. They are just using examples on how they were able to borrow character models from other developers in Nintendo so they wouldn't have to go through the trouble creating character models for all objects and characters in the game.

I'm also guessing this is why Ike is in as a playable character because since he is the first 3D Lord out of all Fire Emblem games, he was the easiest character to put in Brawl. Also, Kirby as well.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
*shrugs*

I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps he felt it just didn't feel too "natural." After all, the AC series is one of peaceful, relaxing games, right? Maybe he just found it out of character to have someone from AC knocking people to oblivion with a fishing rod. Whatever the reason, it's apparent that there won't be an AC character.
EXACT reason why AC isn't there. This is NOT "I couldn't think of a moveset". The document (and Sakurai indirectly) said "they're too peaceful to fight."

Still dislike WW Link though. I know he's vastly different in attacks and moveset, but he's still LINK.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
This is all just to throw us off. I bet there really is an Animal Crossing character. He wields a machine gun in one hand and a chainsaw in the other, and he rides a fire breathing Nintendog.

And BTW, the Wind Waker comment was referring to trophy designs. If you go and read the actual interview instead of just reading the part that Barstool took out of context, Sakurai is clearly talking about trophy designs and not playable characters.

EPX2

Smash Ace
Tell me, how is that any different from people dismissing all Animal Crossing characters just because he said Mr. Resetti isn't feasible?

This is the exact same case.
Not really, because he quite clearly says that AC features characters that just aren't meant for fighting. The Ness quote was a vague one that had several different logical interpretations. This is about as clear-cut as you can get.

There are many ways to read it so that it doesn't exclude all Animal Crossing characters.
For one, he says "I mean, there are lots of popular games with characters that just aren’t meant for fighting and were too hard to incorporate into the Smash Bros. title."

Not once does he say "there are lots of popular games in which all the characters aren't meant for fighting".
Nor does he ever say, "There are lots of popular characters whom are just not meant for fighting." What am I getting at, exactly? Sakurai makes a point of referring to the aspects of AC and Nintendogs collectively; he doesn't focus solely on the characters in these games, but the games themselves. He doesn't make any distinction between characters that are plausible fighters and those that aren't, he just says that certain games have characters that can't be fighters. For what reason, I'm not sure, but I'd wager it has to do with the nature of these games.

<there exists> x != <for all> x

Take a logic class.

As for the quote, it's in direct reference to "Take Mr. Resetti from Animal Crossing or the dog from Nintendogs. How did you go about choosing these characters? "

I'm not saying it's likely. Just saying it's possible.
Right after the first quote you cited, Sakurai says this:

Sakurai said:
... Heading the list of these characters are the ones from the games we just mentioned, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. Because these are games played by lots of people, I knew players would be happy to see them make an appearance. This is why I wanted to find a way to put them in the game and why they became Assist Trophies.
Notice how the focus of that paragraph is on the games and not the characters. He's not saying, "Some popular characters just aren't feasible as fighters", he's saying, "Some popular games simply cannot contribute feasible fighters."

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
That'd be like saying a woman with turnips, a frying pan, an umbrella, a tennis racket, and a golf club could ever be in Brawl. RIDICULOUS!!!
Yeah, I mean, she'd have to be an important part of Nintendo history or something to make the cut with a moveset like that. She'd have to have been in the games for a very, very long time.

Well thank GOODNESS she isn't.

Trading passive aggressive rebuttals is FUN, kids!

how would ww links's and regular link's move set differ. they would be the same, and sakurai said there wouldn't be any clones.
He said less clones. And they won't necessarily have the same moves at all. There's alternate items/abilities/final smash possibilities from WW or PH. Or even FSA.

aznhomieboi1689

Smash Cadet
>_<

OMG.

Why would anyone think AC character have any chance of becominga fighter? It seems unrealistic to me....

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
i really dont think ww link should be in, i know his moveset could be very different from Link's, but i would still consider them pretty much the same character. i was against young link and dr mario in melee, more so than the other clones, because there are just basically the exact same character (as link and mario). why waste a character spot with a character we pretty mucb already have?

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
i really dont think ww link should be in, i know his moveset could be very different from Link's, but i would still consider them pretty much the same character. i was against young link and dr mario in melee, more so than the other clones, because there are just basically the exact same character (as link and mario). why waste a character spot with a character we pretty mucb already have?
I hate this logic.

It doesnt matter, if he has his own moveset its a different character.

Tekken has Devil Jin and Jin, both completley different.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Because apparently Wind Waker Link is different from Twilight Princess Link, and he has much more potential for a drastically diffrent moveset.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Idunno man.. that dog looks pretty ferocious.
Much more so, atleast, than Kirby.. now that I think of it..

though ACer is out, if the statement wasn't enough look at the picture. It's a picture of the animal crossing character and it says "characters like the above do not seem plausible to fight will not appear"

anyone else find it AWESOME that for months people have said "fighting ability doesn't matter they can make a moveset for anybody" And people who argued the opposite were always made to look like idiots?

Looks like "not appropriate to fight" was a good enough reason for Sakurai after all.

Cheers.

And cheers to anyone else who had diligently rejected the idea of an ANIMAL CROSSING (like are you ****ing kidding me.seriously.) character in the game, but suffered in silence the whole time as not to cause anger.
Praise the good lord.

Oh yeah, and about New Young Link- I strongly hope for his inclusion on the roster. People keep on argueing and argueing and argueing that "sakurai said NO CLONES!", and this has been COMPLETELY addressed and THOROUGHLY countered I-don't-know-how-many times.
People seriously need to read much, much more before posting. Really.
I hope this can be the last time this has to be clarified:
There are a vast amount of options for New Young Link's arsenal. These can include his
-Deku Leaf
-Wind Waker
-Bombchus
-Skull Hammer
-Hurricane Spin
-Mirror Shield
-Fire/Ice Arrows
-Magic Armor
-Spoils/Bait

XACE-K

Smash Master
WW Link is indeed Link but at a younger age. Also WW Link could replaxce Young Link for Brawl and won't be a clone because he has weapons like the Skull Hammer and the Grappling Hook meanwhile Link does not so he can have a unique moveset. Another thing that WW Link has is popularity which is a good thing to have.

Zek

Smash Ace
Honestly, WW Link is the "real" version of Link these days. Adult Link has only ever been in OoT and TP, WW Link stars in every other recent Zelda game(Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Minish Cap, Four Swords). On top of that, Link was always a young boy in all the previous Zelda games, his adult form was a gimmick for OoT which was brought back for TP by the western audience's popular demand. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo still leans towards the realistic forms for Zelda representation if there's another Smash next gen, since I'm guessing we've seen the last of TP-style Zelda games.

EPX2

Smash Ace
though ACer is out, if the statement wasn't enough look at the picture. It's a picture of the animal crossing character and it says "characters like the above do not seem plausible to fight will not appear"

anyone else find it AWESOME that for months people have said "fighting ability doesn't matter they can make a moveset for anybody" And people who argued the opposite were always made to look like idiots?

Looks like "not appropriate to fight" was a good enough reason for Sakurai after all.
No, because fighting potential was and still is a stupid reason for suggesting that a character cannot be in Brawl; it was just another one of those ridiculous little "rules" people applied to justify the exclusion of a character they couldn't care less for. Sakurai can obviously pull a moveset out of his ass; it's just a matter of whether or not he feels like bothering with that and if he finds it appropriate. "Not being appropriate for fighting" is not synonymous to "lacking a potential moveset" or "having no fighting ability", which are some of the most common claims people made for characters like Animal Crosser, Toad, and so on.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Despite the fact that the Animal Crossing series was peaceful in nature, I thought that Smash was supposed to take elements from other series and incorporate them. Smash Bros is all about having your favorite character duke it out! **Sigh**, I say this was a bad call on Sakurai's behalf, but kudos to him if he actually included Wind Waker Link!

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure Sakurai could have made an AC moveset, maybe he just thought something as kind and "cute looking" shouldn't fight in Brawl because his games are too innocent to do that?

Nintandy²

Smash Apprentice
I'm for Wind Waker Link for certain, I mean it's like Mario and Paper Mario. Paper Mario could use Bob-Ombs, Koopa Shells and zap people, not to mention have a hammer to pound people with. Similar characters, different styles. Wind Waker Link could of course have the Deku Leaf and other exclusivities that make him very different to his Twilight Princess counterpart. I hope this ends up true ^_^.

-- Andy

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
Lack of reading comprehension confirmed!

They were talking about modeling trophies, people. They're not that careless.

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
When I read the AC part in the interview I was so sad... but oh well.

And WW Link is no way confirmed. I wouldn't mind him in, but Sakurai said that in the trophy section of the interview, and we all know there are trophies from WW.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I'm for Wind Waker Link for certain, I mean it's like Mario and Paper Mario. Paper Mario could use Bob-Ombs, Koopa Shells and zap people, not to mention have a hammer to pound people with. Similar characters, different styles. Wind Waker Link could of course have the Deku Leaf and other exclusivities that make him very different to his Twilight Princess counterpart. I hope this ends up true ^_^.

-- Andy
IMO, characters who are highly popular (King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Krystal, Geno, Claus, etc.) should be in before multiple versions of the same character. I pray that before the NEXT Smash Bros. game comes out that series like Zelda are able to develop some freaking characters because I'm sick of seeing suggestions like: Link, Young Link, WWLink, 8 Bit Link, Dark Link, Midna/Wolf Link, Masks Link, etc.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
IMO, characters who are highly popular (King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Krystal, Geno, Claus, etc.) should be in before multiple versions of the same character. I pray that before the NEXT Smash Bros. game comes out that series like Zelda are able to develop some freaking characters because I'm sick of seeing suggestions like: Link, Young Link, WWLink, 8 Bit Link, Dark Link, Midna/Wolf Link, Masks Link, etc.
How do you know they're not already in there (Krystal and Ridley and friends)? No one said WW Link came first.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
Well, Animal Crosser is pretty much deconfirmed,unless Sakurai had a change of heart during development.

WW Link is not confirmed however. He was talking about trophies when he said that, Medli and Link in casual clothing as examples.

Top Bottom