• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wind Waker Link Confirmed? Animal Crosser deconfirmed?

Barstool

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arispect
From Iwata asks, Part 5.
Sakurai said:
The development for Smash Bros. Melee began soon after the GameCube was released and we had to design each character from scratch. This time, however, we were able to borrow characters from various development teams, which was a big help. Take The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda series for example. We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles.
Hmm...
Sakurai said:
I mean, there are lots of popular games with characters that just aren’t meant for fighting and were too hard to incorporate into the Smash Bros. title. Heading the list of these characters are the ones from the games we just mentioned, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. Because these are games played by lots of people, I knew players would be happy to see them make an appearance. This is why I wanted to find a way to put them in the game and why they became Assist Trophies.
Seems pretty final to me...

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
Aw fvck, awww Hel no. There's GOT to be at least one playable Animal Crossing character, right? Although it does seem hard to give an Animal Crosser a good moveset, AC seems so over-represented to not have any character to go with it.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman

I knew it. Animal Crossing is peaceful, it would be bad if there were a playable rep because that's not what the series is about.

Coselm

Smash Ace
I was just about to start this topic...

Yeah the Wind Waker Link confirmation is debatable. Sakurai could be referring to a regular trophy or assist trophy.

The Animal Crosser deconfirmation seems pretty solid, however.

Sakurai even gave us a little picture.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
"How do YOU know, Kaiser? You don't!"

Come on, these two were the easiest to predict. The Animal Crossing villager is WAY too out there, even by Mr. Game and Watch standards.

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
Aw fvck, awww Hel no. There's GOT to be at least one playable Animal Crossing character, right? Although it does seem hard to give an Animal Crosser a good moveset, AC seems so over-represented to not have any character to go with it.
The point that people have been missing is that this is exactly why there's a lot of AC representation. They wanted to include the franchise but couldn't create a fighter.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
I'm taking this as a definite AC Villager deconfirmation.

I'm really curious about potential Wind Waker representation now. Perhaps Young Link will get a Wind Waker makeover after all ... or perhaps ...

Windwaker Ganondorf?!?!? That would throw everyone for a loop. :D

S2

Smash Lord
I'm filled with sadness at the loss of an AC rep.

Oh well, maybe WW Link will be cool. I'm not taking this as full confirmation though. Sakurai may have just been talking about the trophy.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Oh well, maybe WW Link will be cool. I'm not taking this as full confirmation though. Sakurai may have just been talking about the trophy.
Then why would he have mentioned it on the same topic as designing certain characters from scratch?

Why would he mention Zelda/Gamecube Zelda in particular rather than the various NES sprites he randomly throws in as trophies?

This is strong evidence some kind of cel-shaded Zelda playable character.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Yeah I saw that too. Very interesting. Of course there is a TWW link trophy too. But still things look good for him. But bad for AC characters.

Beauregard

Smash Cadet
If you would read the article, he is talking about trophies when mentioning the models for WW link

"Iwata
So that’s why you try so hard. Although it’s simply a case of modeling the trophies, you have to design them in a way that fans will be happy with. This must take lots of effort.

Sakurai
Right. The development for Smash Bros. Melee began soon after the GameCube was released and we had to design each character from scratch. This time, however, we were able to borrow characters from various development teams, which was a big help. Take The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda series for example. We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles. "

its best not to take things out of context

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
If you would read the article, he is talking about trophies when mentioning the models for WW link

"Iwata
So that’s why you try so hard. Although it’s simply a case of modeling the trophies, you have to design them in a way that fans will be happy with. This must take lots of effort.

Sakurai
Right. The development for Smash Bros. Melee began soon after the GameCube was released and we had to design each character from scratch. This time, however, we were able to borrow characters from various development teams, which was a big help. Take The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess from the Zelda series for example. We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles. "

My apologies. That said, I still find it interesting he chose to mention that in particular over all the little blocky NES/SNES sprites he throws in as trophies that are even easier to adapt.

Coselm

Smash Ace

"Iwata

Sakurai

We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles.

He is saying they used models from previous games to help design Brawl characters. And he uses Wind Waker as an example of this. What has been taken out of context? This is quite obviously implying that there will be a Wind Waker playable character, assist trophy, boss, or something of the sort.

Anywho let's wait until Thursday and see.

Urser

Smash Apprentice
Yes but Sakurai clearly states "We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles."

Now, personally, I think when he says characters, he means playable characters. I could be wrong though.

But don't you find it strange that he's mentioning a game which has playable characters (Twilight Princess) along with Wind Waker?

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I'd say this can go both ways. One one side he does say "characters" but at the same time they were just talking about trophies, so he may mean the design for the trophies. Time will tell

Coselm

Smash Ace
I'd say this can go both ways. One one side he does say "characters" but at the same time they were just talking about trophies, so he may mean the design for the trophies. Time will tell
Yeah I guess you never know what gets lost in translation.

Anyways.game comes out Thursday.cant wait.loads of info. see ya then.

Beauregard

Smash Cadet
Yes but Sakurai clearly states "We were able to design the Smash Bros. characters by adapting them just as they were modeled for the original titles."

Now, personally, I think when he says characters, he means playable characters. I could be wrong though.

But don't you find it strange that he's mentioning a game which has playable characters (Twilight Princess) along with Wind Waker?

Again if tyou would read the article. both of them refer to every character in a trophy or a sticker as characters. Want some examples? In the section of the article titled "Trophies and stickers"

Sakurai
Right. And you can look as much as you like. Of course, that doesn’t mean you can simply take characters from recent games and turn them into Smash Bros. Trophies.

Sakurai
We also incorporated many characters from older games, as well as some more nostalgic items.

Iwata
In Smash Bros., there are a plethora of regular characters in addition to the numerous Assist Trophies. If you add the number of characters that appear as regular Trophies, you’ve got quite an impressive lineup.

we have already seen a windwaker trophy, so its not so hard to believe, Also, sakurai knows better than to reveal a windwakers involvement in a playable character sense.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Man, already today has been full of disconfirmations and crushed dreams. Can't wait to see what else happens. :ohwell:

sv3

Smash Apprentice
It's in the trophy and sticker section. This doesn't confirm anything at all. He could just as well be talking about stuff like this:

Igneous42

Smash Ace
though ACer is out, if the statement wasn't enough look at the picture. It's a picture of the animal crossing character and it says "characters like the above do not seem plausible to fight will not appear"

anyone else find it AWESOME that for months people have said "fighting ability doesn't matter they can make a moveset for anybody" And people who argued the opposite were always made to look like idiots?

Looks like "not appropriate to fight" was a good enough reason for Sakurai after all.

kaboom0190

Smash Rookie
He could be just talking about the trophies. As in he was able to use the character modles straight from the games and us them as trophies. And were so close to the japanese launch, just be patient.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
yeah, tom nook's chances have dropped a lot
wwlink confirmed tho

as long as the 35 char roster isnt true

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Greeeeeeeeeeat. Just what this board needs.
Discussion...on a DISCUSSION FORUM?

Blasphemy.

I know you're just looking for peace. We all like that. But there's nothing wrong with some debating or discussion if it's conducted maturely.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
I already argued this many times, an Animal crosser wont be represented.
I also said Geno won't. Maybe people should listen to the facts.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.

Sparkchu

Smash Apprentice
But... if there's no playable AC character since they're so peaceful, then why bring the fight to the peaceful village?

Shuma

Smash Hero
Maybe the village is what's representing the game, i mean...

Isn't it obvious?....

Top Bottom