• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the Tier List affect your main?

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
When the Tier List is released, will you change your main based on his/her Tier placement. Will you get new mains, drop old ones, based on the list? Or will you stick with your main?

As for me, I'm not sure. I main some (probable) high tiers, but some (looking to be) mid and low tiers, as well, so I'm not sure.

Discuss.

bobson

Smash Lord
If the tier list was going to affect someone's main, it would've already affected it before the "official" one comes out.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
It won't. It took me a long time to get my mains set, and I think I've got my list prettymuch set in reinforced steel.

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
I pick my main b/c I actually like the character and their playstyle. Therefore, the tiers have no bearing on my main so I wouldn't change. The tiers constantly shift anyway, to keep changing your main isn't always the best idea. Chances are many people by this time have enough training w/ a certain character that it isn't worth changing. But of course some individuals will, though IMO selecting a character just for the tier is kinda lame =/.

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
People who would pick a character to main simply because of its tier position have no spine.
Hooray for individuality!

Roihu

Smash Ace
I've been Captain Falcon, but it's not the actual tier list that affects me, but the low priority of his attacks. I'm maining Marth along side Falcon now because I always loved swords and Marth is the perfect Brawl character for that.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I don't base my main's on any tier list that comes out.

However, I do try all of the characters, and the one's I pick usually end up being top tier anyway, coincidentally.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I don't base my main's on any tier list that comes out.

However, I do try all of the characters, and the one's I pick usually end up being top tier anyway, coincidentally.
Yeah, that's understandable. I was gonna say it's a sort of psychology. We pick up a char, he looks really good, we use him.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Anybody who would switch because of the tier list is an idiot. Not because they are switching to a better character, but because by now you should already know who the top tier characters are.. It isnt going to be a huge revelation when they put snake and meta on top of the list if this is the first thing to tell you they are good characters and captain falcon is bad then you have a lot of catching up to do.

peeup

Smash Lord
Yeah, but not how you would expect...

Its always fun to beat a high tier character with a low/bottom tier character which is why I play as Yoshi and Ganon. Not only is it extremely satisfying to beat Snake or ROB with Yoshi or Ganon, but they also have really fun playstyles.

Other than beating high tiers with low tiers, I love spacing games, so I play as DK and Olimar.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Absolutely not. I mained Zelda in Melee and she was crap tier. I main Zelda, Wolf, Pit, Toon Link, Meta Knight, and R.O.B. in Brawl and not a one of them is below mid tier. But that has nothing to do with it. Zelda's my favorite fictional gal ever, Wolf is my favorite animal, Toon Link is adorable, Metaknight has a sexy voice, and R.O.B. is also adorable...WITH LAZERS.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
No. I'm not a tierwhore. Besides, a lot of the "official" tier list is easy to predict, so I know, where my main will be anyways.

Meadow

Smash Apprentice
Nope. I play characters based on what I like about them and if they have a unique playstyle or not. But then again, all characters have a unique playstyle. It took a while for me to get used to Peach, and I've never regretted playing as her.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Ah, Peach. I remember trying to win 10 matches with her. I was all "GRAAAAH" but I knew she had potential because CPU Peach just seems to destroy me D:

Zevox

Smash Lord
Unlikely, to say the least. I've always picked my mains based simply off how much I enjoy playing them and how well I seem to synch with their respective move sets. The only time mine change is when I start trying out a new character in more detail and find I actually like him/her more than I expected (this happened to me with Falco, for instance). Where they land on the tier list makes no difference to me.

Of course, I'm also not a tournament player, so that likely makes my ambivalence a lot easier.

Zevox

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Zelda/sheik is my main and I don't plan to change. I am good with zelda and I am good with sheik. But I am aware of how my main stacks up and that's what'll make my battles harder, which means better.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The Tier list wouldnt affect me even If I chose to let it. I main MK.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Well, no. I've stuck with my mains for a good 5 months now. MK is one of my mains, so his tier placement doesn't even really bug me, but I'll continue to play Lucas even if he's a little low (I'd say he's mid anyway, but there's alot of competition).

HOWEVER, the Tier list will definitely provoke me to go try out certain characters I thought were crap or just didn't play right and take another crack at them.

Just my 2 cents

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
*notices only one MK user mainer posted* >_>

No. Idk where my charecter is on the tier list.

Leon945

Smash Apprentice
Wow I need to learn some of the words you guys use here for certain things but I'll keep using Link, Zelda, Pit, and Sonic although I'll use Link the most.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Tiers don't affect me negatively. If anything it just makes me strive to beat whatever opponent comes my way.

And I don't even use a character that's considered High tier (Mario, Link, Ike).

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Everyones systematic at high levels.
But High tier?
Meh fine.

cj please don't post when you know nothing about what your talking about.
|
|
V

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
Toon Link is at least high tier. He's very systematic at professional levels, I hear.
wrong he wont win tournaments because of his weaknesses to metaknight(the most tourney friendly character). same could be said with half of the roster to MK. and i dont know about you But since when were "professionals" Not effected by tiers?

Top Bottom