• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the SSB4 air dodge allow wavedashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
LOL someone seems butthurt because wavedash's removed. How nice of you to write a badly-written paragraph of lies about me :p I just don't like learning commands for fighting games, but give me complex commands for any other kind of game and I'm good, little idiot...platformers, FPSes, etc. Although I might be exaggerating how hard it is in Melee to actually grab the edges, it did feel very unfair at times and the fact that you could just grab the ledge while not facing it in Brawl made it so much more intuitive, which is what every damn fighting game besides Mortal Kombat 9 lacks (Being intuitive and not making the player fight with the controls before actually fighting). I could be good at Smash if I even cared about being good at Smash, I'm good at Pokemon, Mario, Rayman, Sonic, CoD, etc. because it is within my interests to practice those games' deeper mechanics, but for me Smash is too much of a marvelous celebration of everything Nintendo to overcomplicate it.

PD: Oh, and Smash IS all about the characters, it has always been and will always be about the characters, just take a look at the 64 Commercial, the 64 Intro, the Melee Intro, the Brawl E3 Trailer, the Villager and Megaman reveal...you're probably the one with the diabetes-choked brain, that must be why you write like that and like to insult others and call them names.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Wave-dashing has never seemed that big a deal to me. The very fact that it was an abuse, exploit, glitch, technique, what have you, does not mean that it was an important overall mechanic to the game. I've seen the argument that it helped certain characters in Melee, but that's the thing. It helped certain characters in Melee. Brawl was a different game altogether (Characters were rebalanced, certain physics were changed, and so on) , just as SSB4 will be different games altogether as well; Asking for something that may never comeback because that mechanic has long since been taken away, asking for everything to be like Melee or Brawl, and arguing amongst ourselves isn't doing much for the community as a whole nor the game itself.

Speculating is alright and good to build up anticipation, but when it spawns into that causes a rift between players, that's when it's time to step-back and realize that the game isn't even in a Beta phase, It's literally still in development, and that many things could change about the game in the time between now and it's future release.

Basically, chill out, everyone. :)

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
i really hope sakurai mixes features from both brawl and melee and bring them in smash 4. i kinda get tired of melee players and brawl players fighting over which game is better. i really want smash 4 to appeal to everyone but im worried that its not gonna happen.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I don't see how anyone can hate more free movement options :/ sucks to be person who enjoyed melee the experince keeps going downhill or becoming more watered down.

iHook

Smash Cadet
I think adding "movement options" is a good idea, whether that needs to be wave dashing or otherwise. That was part of the issue in brawl: there weren't many good movement/approach options so players who were reactive as opposed to proactive were rewarded.

I can see people's issues with making the game physically harder to play. I would rather have a deep game with more options built in than having to abuse one (and add "useless" inputs).

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
They could remove the wavedashing, I wouldn't care.

But what I really hope is for Smash 4's airdoging is it to be directional like Melee's so you can get on platforms faster and what not. If it's just a copypaste of brawl's then I might just have to give up on this game.

BSP

Smash Legend
Brawl's air dodge encourages campy play styles and is semi-spammable. Nearly mindless in execution.
Unless you play Wario (and even then, he's taking a risk and sacrificing some options), airdodging in Brawl against a competent opponent isn't mindless. It gets you ****ed up most of the time since a smart player will select an option that will cover your airdodge anyway, or just read your airdodge outright because that's what 80% of players do when they feel pressured.

It's totally spammable, get that semi out of here. You're not going to make it very far in bracket if you don't think about your ADs though.

That being said, I'd be fine if all of them had a little bit more lag on them to make them even bigger commitments, but "get better".

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Why? I would love an explanation.
Aside it looking so awkward, just seems out of place in fighting games. More movements options are good, but playing with the characters normal run and walk speed is good too in my opinion. Whats wrong with say foxs normal walk and run speed?

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Well Smash isn't exactly like most fighting games. The analog controls and freedom to switch directions adds extra challege to the basic movement. That's why the roll is so fundimental to the game design, it allows players to anchor their facing direction and rely on some form of steady movement. It's just too bad the attached lengthy dodge state makes it a situational tool. I consider that to be a design oversight that wavedashing does address. Smash 4 would ultimately control tighter if there was at least something like wavedashing to bring that pure facing and spacing control back to the player.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
i really hope sakurai mixes features from both brawl and melee and bring them in smash 4. i kinda get tired of melee players and brawl players fighting over which game is better. i really want smash 4 to appeal to everyone but im worried that its not gonna happen.

Brawl players will love Smash 4 because they're not stuck in the past, and Melee players will complain when they open the box and there's no Mini-DVD with "Super Smash Bros. Melee" written on top.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Brawl players will love Smash 4 because they're not stuck in the past, and Melee players will complain when they open the box and there's no Mini-DVD with "Super Smash Bros. Melee" written on top.
Do people like you ever just pause for moment and actually question WHY so many players prefer Melee over Brawl these days?

Because if you're explanation is simply because they're "stuck in the past" then you are incredibly misinformed.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice

There will be Melee players like that, but as long as the game is competitive, balanced, and offensively-focused, there will be many players who loved Melee, but still play this extensively. I know there's a lot of bad blood (over video games :glare:), but we have to stop assuming the worst in everyone, or this community will be an absolute mess, and will dissolve into chaos anytime some issue that CAN be turned into Melee vs. Brawl comes up.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Do people like you ever just pause for moment and actually question WHY so many players prefer Melee over Brawl these days?

Because if you're explanation is simply because they're "stuck in the past" then you are incredibly misinformed.

Because they got pissed that the game was ridden of ridiculous, unnecesary input barriers that ruin competitive play for people who don't like finger-twitching their way to victory, because it came back to what Smash was supposed to be, the "anti-fighting-game" fighting game it was supposed to be, because it had an amazing story mode with focus on fanservice (Which IS the focus of Smash Bros.) and they couldn't keep complaining about how there would've been more 'features' if there wasn't a story mode (Even though the story mode was a feature, a very good one at that). Because the game changed too much in a direction that wasn't Melee-ish, and they couldn't understand that Melee was nowhere near perfect, that all of their cute little 'techniques' were actually glitches and exploits that weren't supposed to be done because Smash ISN'T STREET FIGHTER! It has never been and I hope it never turns into a cluster**** of over-complicated commands that encourage players to spam and lock their enemies into inescapable combos.

Renji64

Smash Lord
i'm to lazy to input up b to recovery sakurai plz make gayme moar cauzal for me but having auto recoveries k thanks :).

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Because they got pissed that the game was ridden of ridiculous, unnecesary input barriers that ruin competitive play for people who don't like finger-twitching their way to victory
lol @ ridiculous input barriers in Melee. Are you 6 years old?

oboeotaku

Smash Rookie
@ The Real Gamer The Real Gamer : If you're not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole, I'll touch it with mine.

LOL someone seems butthurt because wavedash's removed. How nice of you to write a badly-written paragraph of lies about me :p I just don't like learning commands for fighting games, but give me complex commands for any other kind of game and I'm good, little idiot...platformers, FPSes, etc. Although I might be exaggerating how hard it is in Melee to actually grab the edges, it did feel very unfair at times and the fact that you could just grab the ledge while not facing it in Brawl made it so much more intuitive, which is what every damn fighting game besides Mortal Kombat 9 lacks (Being intuitive and not making the player fight with the controls before actually fighting). I could be good at Smash if I even cared about being good at Smash, I'm good at Pokemon, Mario, Rayman, Sonic, CoD, etc. because it is within my interests to practice those games' deeper mechanics, but for me Smash is too much of a marvelous celebration of everything Nintendo to overcomplicate it.

PD: Oh, and Smash IS all about the characters, it has always been and will always be about the characters, just take a look at the 64 Commercial, the 64 Intro, the Melee Intro, the Brawl E3 Trailer, the Villager and Megaman reveal...you're probably the one with the diabetes-choked brain, that must be why you write like that and like to insult others and call them names.

Because they got pissed that the game was ridden of ridiculous, unnecesary input barriers that ruin competitive play for people who don't like finger-twitching their way to victory, because it came back to what Smash was supposed to be, the "anti-fighting-game" fighting game it was supposed to be, because it had an amazing story mode with focus on fanservice (Which IS the focus of Smash Bros.) and they couldn't keep complaining about how there would've been more 'features' if there wasn't a story mode (Even though the story mode was a feature, a very good one at that). Because the game changed too much in a direction that wasn't Melee-ish, and they couldn't understand that Melee was nowhere near perfect, that all of their cute little 'techniques' were actually glitches and exploits that weren't supposed to be done because Smash ISN'T STREET FIGHTER! It has never been and I hope it never turns into a cluster**** of over-complicated commands that encourage players to spam and lock their enemies into inescapable combos.

I understand that some people here have been rude to you D-idara, and I can understand the acerbic tone of your response...but some some of your other posts are needlessly inflammatory and riddled with holes. I agree that in the end, Smash is about the franchise (heck, even a lot of traditional fighters are like that), but that doesn't mean it has to be ridiculously simple the way you make it out to be. Rather, if Smash is a "marvelous celebration of everything Nintendo," isn't it even better if it is given more depth and complexity? It makes it a more memorable game, befitting of all the memories it will evoke for followers of the various franchises.

I have been a casual Melee player for that past 10+ years of my life. I only found out about the competitive side of smash about a year ago (I didn't even know what l cancelling was...or that shines even did damage lol). But even before that, when I still played with items with friends on stages like pokefloats in melee or New Pork City in brawl, I always thought that melee was much more intuitive and enjoyable than brawl. This is just personal taste (in this example at least), but it goes to show that you don't need to be one of the tech skill fanatics to enjoy one game over another. Melee also had plenty of fanservice; do you think Fire Emblem would ever have gained the popularity overseas if it weren't for melee? I for one was converted almost immediately (my elementary school mind was blown so hard when I found out Roy was Eliwood's son...and then I was confused because he wasn't using Durandal, but that's a story for elsewhere).

Now for the more technical arguments...

Intuition. You bring it up in a lot of your posts, so I feel compelled to mention that how intuitive something feels will depend primarily on how well you familiarize yourself with the game. So you say that you haven't invested time in smash to learn techniques or become better? That's perfectly fine. Of course things will feel unintuitive. But you know, I've never taken the time to learn CoD properly, so it feels unintuitive to me (most fps games feel unintuitive to me for that matter...I have terrible coordination with aiming lol). Just like you don't like taking the time to learn commands in fighting games, I don't take the time to learn FPS's. And for that reason, executing corner pressure with F Aoko or doing troll superarmor counters with F Warc in MBAACC will feel much more intuitive to me than a headshot in CoD ever will. But that doesn't mean I bash the game like you're doing. I would also argue that not all fighters have insane finger twitching requirements. If you look at SSF4 AE, things are much more based on outhinking the opponent and having proper reactions, as opposed to a game like UMvC3, such that consistency with what inputs you do press are what matters (insane combos seem to be based more on reading the opponent and /or baiting them to leave them vulnerable after an initial short string of hits). And that consistency is something that parallels with competition in all fields, not just games. If you mess up DP's, you're not going to be a top player (shoutouts to Daigo's psychic DPs lol). If you mess up which blood vessel to reroute or tie off during a surgery, you have a dead patient, and you won't be a good surgeon. If you mess up which button does what in an airplane, you won't be a good pilot, but rather a dead pilot (and airplanes have a looooot of buttons).

I would also add that if you think about things, the mechanics you mention for Melee actually feel more intuitive than Brawl. Have you ever tried jumping and grabbing the ledge of a playground while facing the opposite direction? It's kinda hard. Having to face the ledge to grab it never seemed that hard to grasp to me. As a casual player, brawl actually frustrated me more because...people...just...wouldn't...die...because they would come back from all sort of crazy angles. Wavedashing might seem unintuitive at first, but it's actually logical in a way because it can serve as a swift dash/backdash. Moving backwards on the ground without changing the direction you're facing is not a strange concept in either games nor real life (boxing might look kind of stupid then). Brawl techniques are also just as exploit happy as Melee ones. Having Snake slide across FD while holding a bazooka feels a helluva lot more unnatural than a cute little backwards slide in my opinion (ok, luigi's wavedash is dumb, but he's a janky character in general, nothing too out of the ordinary...). Airdodging to slow momentum? That's also intuitive. It's cute how MetaKnight is surviving my Ike's forward smash cuz of that. Exploits are natural. It's just a question of how dumb they are. You evidently don't consider Brawl exploits to be as dumb. Others might (like me).

Also, the problem of excessive "finger twitching" should never stop people from entering tournaments and placing well in them. I mean...look at HungryBox. Do you see him spazzing out with his controller like Dr. PeePee? No. Does he wreck ****? Heck yea. He just plays hella smart (yes some technical skill is involved, but...he plays more with his head). In fact, I would argue that commands in melee don't tend to be complicated at all for many characters (spacies being a notable example...but I like Marth, so screw that). On that note...if you're invested enough in a game to bother playing it competitively, I don't see why you wouldn't think finger twitching is acceptable. Quickness, accuracy, and consistency with inputs is something that comes with practice and hard work. The same can be said for mindgames and strategy. Dr. PeePee is emblematic of the competitive scene in this regard. He has amazing tech skill, and he also takes physical notes on other players. I never root for him in tournament because his Falco is hella smart and annoying, no one can begrudge him the respect he deserves for his hard work. And what happened? He won Apex 2014. He won through hard work and dedication. Is that not the point of competition? To see who worked harder to become a better player? In the end, complaints of input barriers are nothing more than the complaints of those who are too lazy to learn them. And it's fine to be like that, if you don't want to be a competitive player (or in this case, don't want to play fox or falco). Does that mean you should **** on those who do? I personally don't think so; rather, such actions seem to be rude to those who have dedicated more time to a game. Even some of the plaformers you likely enjoy will have some crazy finger twitching at competitive levels (by that I mean speedrunning). I mean, look at Trihex lol. As for inescapable combos...well, on neutral stages you only really have that problem on pokemon stadium, if you get shine or rapid jab locked against a tree or some ****. That and the ice climber chain grab and chain throws. But Brawl has chain throws too, as well as a buffed ice climber grab game, so it kind of evens out. Especially when you consider that Melee has lots of combos whereas it seems that Brawl focuses on random potshots and stray hits.

Of course, the standard reply in response to all of this is that Smash Bros was not intended to be a competitive game (I'm sure Sakurai thinks that 20XX fox is an abomination). So why even bother with all these arguments? It's a party game, so what does it even matter? Well, I admit there is no hard counter to this argument. However, I will say that Melee, with all of its little quirks and gimmicks, allow for a wider range of styles, a greater fanbase to suite greater styles. Just because it can be played competitively to such an extent doesn't mean you can't play it like a party game. I mean, all you really need to do is turn on items, then go to Rainbow Cruise or Hyrule. Then, advanced techniques are a lot less useful, and the technical skill gap is much reduced. Meanwhile, Brawl is either a party game or a boring party game. Isn't it better to have a wide range of options for playstyle like in melee, such that you can have so many varied style of play in the compatetive scene while still being able to feel like a party game as opposed to maintaining an slow, campy style for everything like in Brawl? I see no reason why an audience of people should be alienated simply by removing so many options from a game, if the goal is to have as many people enjoy the game as possible.

You are right in that Melee wasn't perfect; Brawl had many new features that showed how the series could be improved and expanded upon. The character selection was wider, the SSE was very good (albeit limited to a one time run for most people, I don't think many would have the patience to run it more than that), the variety of stages was excellent for casual goofy play, the music was leagues better, and the stage builder option offered a level of creativity and personalization that I still think is amazing. But at the same time, it showed us what features of Melee made it so much more exciting to play and watch at competitive levels. And while Brawl seems to be stuck in terms of the progression of competitive play, Melee continues to evolve with every passing day.

Let's hope that Smash 4 will be something that's a proper amalgation of the past games, combining the best of all parties.

...Let's also hope that they pick a decent Fire Emblem character alongside Marth. My hopes are on Lucina or Avatar (now that would be interesting).

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
In the first Street fighter combos were an exploit in the game. The devs wisened up and decided to make the exploit a feature of the gameplay.

On topic: I don't think that it will allow wavedashing. It is the brawl air dodge. Unless they can make it so you can direct the dodge when you are close to the ground. I don't see wave dashing being a thing in this game. It would be cool to have a balance though. One directional airdodge that kills momentum. Then after you get the brawl air dodges. That would be cool. Appeasement!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
@ The Real Gamer The Real Gamer : If you're not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole, I'll touch it with mine.

I understand that some people here have been rude to you D-idara, and I can understand the acerbic tone of your response...but some some of your other posts are needlessly inflammatory and riddled with holes. I agree that in the end, Smash is about the franchise (heck, even a lot of traditional fighters are like that), but that doesn't mean it has to be ridiculously simple the way you make it out to be. Rather, if Smash is a "marvelous celebration of everything Nintendo," isn't it even better if it is given more depth and complexity? It makes it a more memorable game, befitting of all the memories it will evoke for followers of the various franchises.

I have been a casual Melee player for that past 10+ years of my life. I only found out about the competitive side of smash about a year ago (I didn't even know what l cancelling was...or that shines even did damage lol). But even before that, when I still played with items with friends on stages like pokefloats in melee or New Pork City in brawl, I always thought that melee was much more intuitive and enjoyable than brawl. This is just personal taste (in this example at least), but it goes to show that you don't need to be one of the tech skill fanatics to enjoy one game over another. Melee also had plenty of fanservice; do you think Fire Emblem would ever have gained the popularity overseas if it weren't for melee? I for one was converted almost immediately (my elementary school mind was blown so hard when I found out Roy was Eliwood's son...and then I was confused because he wasn't using Durandal, but that's a story for elsewhere).

Now for the more technical arguments...

Intuition. You bring it up in a lot of your posts, so I feel compelled to mention that how intuitive something feels will depend primarily on how well you familiarize yourself with the game. So you say that you haven't invested time in smash to learn techniques or become better? That's perfectly fine. Of course things will feel unintuitive. But you know, I've never taken the time to learn CoD properly, so it feels unintuitive to me (most fps games feel unintuitive to me for that matter...I have terrible coordination with aiming lol). Just like you don't like taking the time to learn commands in fighting games, I don't take the time to learn FPS's. And for that reason, executing corner pressure with F Aoko or doing troll superarmor counters with F Warc in MBAACC will feel much more intuitive to me than a headshot in CoD ever will. But that doesn't mean I bash the game like you're doing. I would also argue that not all fighters have insane finger twitching requirements. If you look at SSF4 AE, things are much more based on outhinking the opponent and having proper reactions, as opposed to a game like UMvC3, such that consistency with what inputs you do press are what matters (insane combos seem to be based more on reading the opponent and /or baiting them to leave them vulnerable after an initial short string of hits). And that consistency is something that parallels with competition in all fields, not just games. If you mess up DP's, you're not going to be a top player (shoutouts to Daigo's psychic DPs lol). If you mess up which blood vessel to reroute or tie off during a surgery, you have a dead patient, and you won't be a good surgeon. If you mess up which button does what in an airplane, you won't be a good pilot, but rather a dead pilot (and airplanes have a looooot of buttons).

I would also add that if you think about things, the mechanics you mention for Melee actually feel more intuitive than Brawl. Have you ever tried jumping and grabbing the ledge of a playground while facing the opposite direction? It's kinda hard. Having to face the ledge to grab it never seemed that hard to grasp to me. As a casual player, brawl actually frustrated me more because...people...just...wouldn't...die...because they would come back from all sort of crazy angles. Wavedashing might seem unintuitive at first, but it's actually logical in a way because it can serve as a swift dash/backdash. Moving backwards on the ground without changing the direction you're facing is not a strange concept in either games nor real life (boxing might look kind of stupid then). Brawl techniques are also just as exploit happy as Melee ones. Having Snake slide across FD while holding a bazooka feels a helluva lot more unnatural than a cute little backwards slide in my opinion (ok, luigi's wavedash is dumb, but he's a janky character in general, nothing too out of the ordinary...). Airdodging to slow momentum? That's also intuitive. It's cute how MetaKnight is surviving my Ike's forward smash cuz of that. Exploits are natural. It's just a question of how dumb they are. You evidently don't consider Brawl exploits to be as dumb. Others might (like me).

Also, the problem of excessive "finger twitching" should never stop people from entering tournaments and placing well in them. I mean...look at HungryBox. Do you see him spazzing out with his controller like Dr. PeePee? No. Does he wreck ****? Heck yea. He just plays hella smart (yes some technical skill is involved, but...he plays more with his head). In fact, I would argue that commands in melee don't tend to be complicated at all for many characters (spacies being a notable example...but I like Marth, so screw that). On that note...if you're invested enough in a game to bother playing it competitively, I don't see why you wouldn't think finger twitching is acceptable. Quickness, accuracy, and consistency with inputs is something that comes with practice and hard work. The same can be said for mindgames and strategy. Dr. PeePee is emblematic of the competitive scene in this regard. He has amazing tech skill, and he also takes physical notes on other players. I never root for him in tournament because his Falco is hella smart and annoying, no one can begrudge him the respect he deserves for his hard work. And what happened? He won Apex 2014. He won through hard work and dedication. Is that not the point of competition? To see who worked harder to become a better player? In the end, complaints of input barriers are nothing more than the complaints of those who are too lazy to learn them. And it's fine to be like that, if you don't want to be a competitive player (or in this case, don't want to play fox or falco). Does that mean you should **** on those who do? I personally don't think so; rather, such actions seem to be rude to those who have dedicated more time to a game. Even some of the plaformers you likely enjoy will have some crazy finger twitching at competitive levels (by that I mean speedrunning). I mean, look at Trihex lol. As for inescapable combos...well, on neutral stages you only really have that problem on pokemon stadium, if you get shine or rapid jab locked against a tree or some ****. That and the ice climber chain grab and chain throws. But Brawl has chain throws too, as well as a buffed ice climber grab game, so it kind of evens out. Especially when you consider that Melee has lots of combos whereas it seems that Brawl focuses on random potshots and stray hits.

Of course, the standard reply in response to all of this is that Smash Bros was not intended to be a competitive game (I'm sure Sakurai thinks that 20XX fox is an abomination). So why even bother with all these arguments? It's a party game, so what does it even matter? Well, I admit there is no hard counter to this argument. However, I will say that Melee, with all of its little quirks and gimmicks, allow for a wider range of styles, a greater fanbase to suite greater styles. Just because it can be played competitively to such an extent doesn't mean you can't play it like a party game. I mean, all you really need to do is turn on items, then go to Rainbow Cruise or Hyrule. Then, advanced techniques are a lot less useful, and the technical skill gap is much reduced. Meanwhile, Brawl is either a party game or a boring party game. Isn't it better to have a wide range of options for playstyle like in melee, such that you can have so many varied style of play in the compatetive scene while still being able to feel like a party game as opposed to maintaining an slow, campy style for everything like in Brawl? I see no reason why an audience of people should be alienated simply by removing so many options from a game, if the goal is to have as many people enjoy the game as possible.

You are right in that Melee wasn't perfect; Brawl had many new features that showed how the series could be improved and expanded upon. The character selection was wider, the SSE was very good (albeit limited to a one time run for most people, I don't think many would have the patience to run it more than that), the variety of stages was excellent for casual goofy play, the music was leagues better, and the stage builder option offered a level of creativity and personalization that I still think is amazing. But at the same time, it showed us what features of Melee made it so much more exciting to play and watch at competitive levels. And while Brawl seems to be stuck in terms of the progression of competitive play, Melee continues to evolve with every passing day.

Let's hope that Smash 4 will be something that's a proper amalgation of the past games, combining the best of all parties.

...Let's also hope that they pick a decent Fire Emblem character alongside Marth. My hopes are on Lucina or Avatar (now that would be interesting).
This is a great post but if there's one thing I've learned since posting on the Smash 4 boards it's that you can't use logic on an illogical poster. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well this a sort of senseless passion was predictable given the topic title, but I guess I was hoping for better somehow...

Anyway, it's pretty clear from what we've seen so far that air-dodging will continue to work like in Brawl, which means no direction and no wavedashing (I couldn't give a damn and I don't understand people who believe that this in itself will ruin the game.)

The one thing I DO hope is changed however, is the hit-stun negation that came with the air dodges. This is an easy thing to remove, and it's one change that I think would go a long way towards getting people who abandoned Brawl interested in playing this new game.

oboeotaku

Smash Rookie
Well this a sort of senseless passion was predictable given the topic title, but I guess I was hoping for better somehow...

Anyway, it's pretty clear from what we've seen so far that air-dodging will continue to work like in Brawl, which means no direction and no wavedashing (I couldn't give a damn and I don't understand people who believe that this in itself will ruin the game.)

The one thing I DO hope is changed however, is the hit-stun negation that came with the air dodges. This is an easy thing to remove, and it's one change that I think would go a long way towards getting people who abandoned Brawl interested in playing this new game.
Let's just say that some college classes are easier to goof off in than others xD

It also just annoys me to see people spouting things without a proper basis for their arguments. Yes I know people do this all the time, and yes I know it's a waste of my time to counter their arguments, but sometimes I can't help it.

I personally like wavedashing, but it know it isn't necessary to create a good smash game. Still...one can hope. About as likely as Cordelia being a playable character, but hey, a man can dream...

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
Wavedashing is basically a glitch so I don't think that they'll allow a glitch back into the game, unless the like it and add it as an advanced technique but that's unlikely.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
In the first Street fighter combos were an exploit in the game. The devs wisened up and decided to make the exploit a feature of the gameplay.

On topic: I don't think that it will allow wavedashing. It is the brawl air dodge. Unless they can make it so you can direct the dodge when you are close to the ground. I don't see wave dashing being a thing in this game. It would be cool to have a balance though. One directional airdodge that kills momentum. Then after you get the brawl air dodges. That would be cool. Appeasement!
It is an opinion the glitches made them better. I don't think Melee's glitches are benefitial.

Anyways, I think we saw a Brawl airdodge in the Mac trailer. It's safe to say that Sakurai wouldn't make any major changes at this point with how balance obsessed he is.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
It is an opinion the glitches made them better. I don't think Melee's glitches are benefitial.

Anyways, I think we saw a Brawl airdodge in the Mac trailer. It's safe to say that Sakurai wouldn't make any major changes at this point with how balance obsessed he is.
I guess that to me wave dashing and all the tech skill is fun. I love doing that stuff. Its really fun when you do a crazy l-cancel only combo with Falco. Or you can hit your opponent with a Charge shot after doing a super wavedash to get behind them! To me the tech stuff make the game more fun!! :bee:

But yea we've seen the brawl airdodges ever since E3. Sakurai even said that he is going to keep the multiple dodges in the game.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I guess that to me wave dashing and all the tech skill is fun. I love doing that stuff. Its really fun when you do a crazy l-cancel only combo with Falco. Or you can hit your opponent with a Charge shot after doing a super wavedash to get behind them! To me the tech stuff make the game more fun!! :bee:

But yea we've seen the brawl airdodges ever since E3. Sakurai even said that he is going to keep the multiple dodges in the game.
Sakurai never said that. He said that "at this point" the game will have multiple air dodges, this is possibly subject to change up until the game goes golden, so the possibility exists that it will change to a more melee esque air dodge or a completely new type of air dodge.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Pulling off techs doesn't do a thing for me. I mean, I'll be glad the first time, but after that it's just another move to me.

Sakurai never said that. He said that "at this point" the game will have multiple air dodges, this is possibly subject to change up until the game goes golden, so the possibility exists that it will change to a more melee esque air dodge or a completely new type of air dodge.
A possibility. An extremely slim possibility, made even slimmer by Sakurai's thoughts on game design. To say it's likely in any way would be ignorant.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
A possibility. An extremely slim possibility, made even slimmer by Sakurai's thoughts on game design. To say it's likely in any way would be ignorant.
I never said it was likely, i explicitly said the word possibility, not likely. This was completely unnecessary to post.

Adond

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adond
3DS FC
4055-4803-1437
We would see in the mean time..

Doctor X

Smash Lord
So I want to semi-thank, semi-spurn whoever necro'd this thread so I could see more facepalm-inducing nonsense/entertainment like this guy. Are we sure this is not a troll? I'll go ahead with the assumption that it isn't, since I've never heard of him and he has more posts in less than two years than a lot of people have in almost ten (myself included). Doubtless most of those posts are in the cesspool general boards, as with those of all the other people who spend more time arguing about smash than actually playing it.

@ D-idara D-idara : This is going to come off as very mean and direct, but I want to remind you that you've already resorted to insults and ignored well-argued counterpoints, reducing them instead to some imaginary ulterior motive. "You're just living in the past!" is about on the same intellectual level as people who dismiss feminist arguments with, "She's just looking for attention!" or "She just hates men!" There's a very compelling body of reason levied against you, and rather than address it with your own reason, you retreat into ignorance. Directness is no less than you deserve, and it may very well be the only thing that could possibly get through to you.

That being said...

Based on your posts I doubt very much that you're actually good at any video game at all. If you do well in one, more than likely it is because you don't have any true competition. This could be because of inactive competitive scenes-- as with most games you listed-- or due to isolation from the true competitive scenes. Just playing with your buddies, for example, is not true competition. Just playing public games online with all the other randoms is also not true competition.

True competition is when people apply themselves to the goal of winning. They do work, and reasearch, and practice to learn everything they can that will help them win. It's not just a matter of a couple people picking up a controller and winging it, and it certainly doesn't involve deliberate avoidance of powerful strategies because they seem "dirty." By playing this way, you discover things about the game, and about yourself, that you would quite literally never know otherwise. You come to understand your own strengths and weaknesses, and you learn things that beat the "dirty" strategies. You learn things that beat the strategies that beat the "dirty" strategies. Then you learn things that beat the things that beat those things, and so on.

Competitive players develop an understanding of the game that is so far beyond your own that reading your posts feels a bit like seeing an average American who hasn't done algebra in 20 years try to argue about mathematics with an engineer.

"Oh yeah, I could have been an engineer, too, if I didn't have to learn complicated stuff like exponents. Gosh, why do they have to make that stuff so complicated?"

If the game has a competitive community at all, this applies. Even Brawl-- which you praise for being simpler-- has a community of players who approach the game this way, and you will never, ever, ever beat them without a lot of work. This isn't because of "complicated" exploits or "dirty" play-- they think about the game on a level that is simply beyond you, because they put the time and effort into developing that understanding. The same is true of the CoD pro teams that you don't play with-- the ones that would dispel all notions you have of being good at that game, if you did.

If you don't like the idea of having to apply yourself to win at smash, the answer is simple-- don't play competitive smash. Play casually, like the millions of other casual players out there. Turn on the items and have a blast. Hopefully you'll find that to be a better way to pass the time than antagonizing people in forums. If not, consider redirecting even a fraction of the energy you spend here to learning something about competitive play. Who knows, maybe you'll actually enjoy it.

I'll finish with an obligatory link that posts like this one should always include and I"m done here:

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Lets not make this Melee vs. Brawl... It kind of already started though....

It'd be cool if they gave directional air-dodges at a certain line above the ground so that wave-dashing could still be a thing but it probably won't. Rolling seems to be a decent option now though.

Morbi

Scavenger
Lets not make this Melee vs. Brawl... It kind of already started though....

It'd be cool if they gave directional air-dodges at a certain line above the ground so that wave-dashing could still be a thing but it probably won't. Rolling seems to be a decent option now though.
Rolling has always been my "option" of choice! I will double roll into the enemy if necessary, I might even back roll into their Smash attack. IDGAF, "they see me rollin, they hatin."

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I completely agree with D-idara. Most Melee players bashed Brawl because it wasn't as competitive. I agree that smash was supposed to be the anti fighting game fighting game.

Even though wavedashing was intended, I don't think it was meant to be used in the manner it was. I could see this frustrating the developer so he took it out, as he wanted it to be just a simple casual game.

I personally don't hope to see it return.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I completely agree with D-idara. Most Melee players bashed Brawl because it wasn't as competitive. I agree that smash was supposed to be the anti fighting game fighting game.

Even though wavedashing was intended, I don't think it was meant to be used in the manner it was. I could see this frustrating the developer so he took it out, as he wanted it to be just a simple casual game.

I personally don't hope to see it return.
A little correction, Wavedashing was intentionally left in. So you're right in saying it wasn't designed to be used the way it is.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So I want to semi-thank, semi-spurn whoever necro'd this thread so I could see more facepalm-inducing nonsense/entertainment like this guy. Are we sure this is not a troll? I'll go ahead with the assumption that it isn't, since I've never heard of him and he has more posts in less than two years than a lot of people have in almost ten (myself included). Doubtless most of those posts are in the cesspool general boards, as with those of all the other people who spend more time arguing about smash than actually playing it.

@ D-idara D-idara : This is going to come off as very mean and direct, but I want to remind you that you've already resorted to insults and ignored well-argued counterpoints, reducing them instead to some imaginary ulterior motive. "You're just living in the past!" is about on the same intellectual level as people who dismiss feminist arguments with, "She's just looking for attention!" or "She just hates men!" There's a very compelling body of reason levied against you, and rather than address it with your own reason, you retreat into ignorance. Directness is no less than you deserve, and it may very well be the only thing that could possibly get through to you.

That being said...

Based on your posts I doubt very much that you're actually good at any video game at all. If you do well in one, more than likely it is because you don't have any true competition. This could be because of inactive competitive scenes-- as with most games you listed-- or due to isolation from the true competitive scenes. Just playing with your buddies, for example, is not true competition. Just playing public games online with all the other randoms is also not true competition.

True competition is when people apply themselves to the goal of winning. They do work, and reasearch, and practice to learn everything they can that will help them win. It's not just a matter of a couple people picking up a controller and winging it, and it certainly doesn't involve deliberate avoidance of powerful strategies because they seem "dirty." By playing this way, you discover things about the game, and about yourself, that you would quite literally never know otherwise. You come to understand your own strengths and weaknesses, and you learn things that beat the "dirty" strategies. You learn things that beat the strategies that beat the "dirty" strategies. Then you learn things that beat the things that beat those things, and so on.

Competitive players develop an understanding of the game that is so far beyond your own that reading your posts feels a bit like seeing an average American who hasn't done algebra in 20 years try to argue about mathematics with an engineer.

"Oh yeah, I could have been an engineer, too, if I didn't have to learn complicated stuff like exponents. Gosh, why do they have to make that stuff so complicated?"

If the game has a competitive community at all, this applies. Even Brawl-- which you praise for being simpler-- has a community of players who approach the game this way, and you will never, ever, ever beat them without a lot of work. This isn't because of "complicated" exploits or "dirty" play-- they think about the game on a level that is simply beyond you, because they put the time and effort into developing that understanding. The same is true of the CoD pro teams that you don't play with-- the ones that would dispel all notions you have of being good at that game, if you did.

If you don't like the idea of having to apply yourself to win at smash, the answer is simple-- don't play competitive smash. Play casually, like the millions of other casual players out there. Turn on the items and have a blast. Hopefully you'll find that to be a better way to pass the time than antagonizing people in forums. If not, consider redirecting even a fraction of the energy you spend here to learning something about competitive play. Who knows, maybe you'll actually enjoy it.

I'll finish with an obligatory link that posts like this one should always include and I"m done here:

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html
NO.

As someone who has beaten Champion's Road on Super Mario 3D World, 100%'d Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, completed Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta (Both games that require a huge amount of technical skill) on Very Hard mode, and gotten to third and second places on three Pokemon tournaments (Actual tournaments on Venezuela), I can say that I'm NOT bad at videogames. I love to learn games to the core and become better and better at them, but here's the thing that made W101 and Bayonetta the hardest-to-get-good games I've ever played, the enemies have different strategies and they cycle between them depending on your actions, I have a hard time facing againist someone other than myself, because I don't know how to adapt to different playstyles, even when talking about AI. And that's not something that can be practiced, no matter how hard I practice, I'll never be able to read people and use the best of my abilities againist them, so then what's the point of learning and getting good if I'll never make it far into a tournament or even with my own friends?

Even againist myself, on Project M, while practicing Wavedash, I can now pull it off perfectly every time...once...when I try to chain a wavedash after another, I just airdodge unceremoniously on the spot, this is only made worse by characters with much less lenient Wavedash timings like Bowser, Dedede or DK. And there's nothing I can do that will make me able to chain wavedashes together because when I can't get it right at the 5th try, I'll just turn off the game, my fingers cramp up and I start getting everything wrong because I get frustrated, so I prefer avoiding that frustration, I've made it clear that I'd rather go around a wall or not clear it than having to climb it.

The question, how do you even get better?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom