• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the SSB4 air dodge allow wavedashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
keep the brawl air dodge, make physics speed between brawl and melee, keep grabbing ledges facing other direction, increase amount of hitstun and there u go, perfect physics. do it sakurai please do it! i really dont give a crap about wave dashing and l-canceling.

Alzi

Smash Master
keep the brawl air dodge, make physics speed between brawl and melee, keep grabbing ledges facing other direction, increase amount of hitstun and there u go, perfect physics. do it sakurai please do it! i really dont give a crap about wave dashing and l-canceling.
This right here is the correct answer.

wavedashing isn't even that big of a deal that people make it out to be.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
the death of wave dashing and l-cancelling I can handle...but you guys want magnet ledges and dumb air dodges? Come on D:

These people either don't read or never played Melee and/or never got moderately good at it. For that matter lets get rid of DACUS, laser/jab locks, grab releases and other dumb ****...nah scratch that; let's eliminate a mechanic that helped everyone.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
These people either don't read or never played Melee and/or never got moderately good at it. For that matter lets get rid of DACUS, laser/jab locks, grab releases and other dumb ****...nah scratch that; let's eliminate a mechanic that helped everyone.
i hope they get rid of all that dumb stuff in smash 4 too. i would miss DACUS but i can live without it.
the death of wave dashing and l-cancelling I can handle...but you guys want magnet ledges and dumb air dodges? Come on D:
whats wrong with the ledges and air dodges?

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I would love for ALL the mechanics to come into play. From wavedashing and L canceling to Dacus's and grab releases, but it will never cross Sakurai's mind.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
And the air-dodges make the game so care free, just pop one out whenever you want. In melee you actually had to think about it and place it well or DEATH.
i never realised the edge range was that big. i guess they should make it smaller in smash 4 but i still like grabbing ledges from the opposite direction. i disagree with the air dodging though. the air dodging in melee was just bad...

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Melee's air dodge emphasizes careful execution and greater mobility, both offensively and defensively.

Brawl's air dodge encourages campy play styles and is semi-spammable. Nearly mindless in execution.

I guess if you plan on playing the game for only 10 hours or so the latter would be for you, otherwise I can't see how people like Brawl's ******** air dodge.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
Melee's air dodge emphasizes careful execution and greater mobility, both offensively and defensively.

Brawl's air dodge encourages campy play styles and is semi-spammable. Nearly mindless in execution.

I guess if you plan on playing the game for only 10 hours or so the latter would be for you, otherwise I can't see how people like Brawl's ******** air dodge.
well i guess the developers should make the airdodge a mix of melee and brawl. u can use it once in the air like melee but doesnt make u go into the helpless state like brawl. hopefully that can appeal to both melee and brawl players.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
Sakurai's not gonna do nothing, look at that face

He's laughing at my pain

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nope.

It will hopefully allow momentum changing like in Melee though, because that was awesome. I also hope it is only a one time thing, or a move you can only use say every 2 seconds.

Hopefully the running speed, momentum start up, and turning around speed is faster, and momentum from land to air and air to land transfers back and forth (it looks like it definitely does).

If all that happens, wavedashing isn't really needed as we have enough speed for offensive-friendly spacing.

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
I love glitches in games it really lets the players and the community make the game there own technical sandbox. For instance halo 2's BXR , Halo 4's super nade glitch, halo 1's double melee glitch, halo 2's super jump glitch. sorry those were all from halo but the way I see it glitches open doors to more possibilities especially if everyone can use them if not then I consider it cheating. As far as wavedashing L-cancelling dashdancing and all of others melees tech skill is concerned I love them and I really wish he would bring these back!

I love glitches in games it really lets the players and the community make the game there own technical sandbox. For instance halo 2's BXR , Halo 4's super nade glitch, halo 1's double melee glitch, halo 2's super jump glitch. sorry those were all from halo but the way I see it glitches open doors to more possibilities especially if everyone can use them if not then I consider it cheating. As far as wavedashing L-cancelling dashdancing and all of others melees tech skill is concerned I love them and I really wish he would bring these back!

Ahh, BXR.

Battle rifles were so good back then.

I miss dual wielding.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Brawl air dodge > Melee air dodge
And grabbing the ledges on Melee was a chore.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm guessing you sd quite a bit :p

So...? Yes I haven't practiced much at Smash and that's why I'm not that good...and what does stupid Melee ledges have to do with SDing? If you Up+B and you were in the wrong direction, you're screwed, what kind of dumb design choice is that?

So...? Yes I haven't practiced much at Smash and that's why I'm not that good...and what does stupid Melee ledges have to do with SDing? If you Up+B and you were in the wrong direction, you're screwed, what kind of dumb design choice is that?

How is it dumb to imply that a player should put forth a bit more effort into coming back on stage considering that the game is giving you a chance to come back from certain death, it's only fair. And not to mention being able to sweet spot the ledge was hard...when I was like, 9 dude. I've been doing it since smash 64, and if you have played with a character enough and if you understand basic spatial reasoning there should be no difficulty in understanding the approximate vertical and horizontal distance gained from a move, especially if it is pre-determined. They aren't stupid Melee ledges, they have been in 2 games and everyone seems to do just fine with them.

Want to know whats stupid? Being forced to hold on the ledge for a predetermined amount of time before you can even get back on stage, can you say dumb frame traps?

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Quick little thing ....
Does wavedashing make players good? No. Players make players good.

With each new Smash there are going to come new things to adapt to, with techniques/exploits that will be removed and techniques/exploits that will be found/added. It's the nature of the beast.

Melee has its famous exploits/techniques, but Brawl does too. I play Lucas and it is not easy pulling off the tricks I do in fights, they did take learning and time. (See Zapjumping, Magnet Pullng, Duster Sliding, there are more but I forget their actual names)

Case in point is Melee and Brawl are two games, very similar but drastically different. Both can be played competitively, just Melee has more pushing for it there while Brawl diminished those features.

I don't think Wavedashing will return, and if it did i would learn it. If it doesn't we'll learn some new extraneous technique/exploit we don't even know yet. Nothing is set in stone people.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I was just messin' with ya buddy. I used to sd a lot too, just takes getting used to, but it's a better system imo. The problem with brawl ledges is it's just way too easy to recover, even in the pro scene you seldom see people lose a stock due to edgeguarding, which in my mind removes an entire dynamic that made Smash Bros so special.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I was just messin' with ya buddy. I used to sd a lot too, just takes getting used to, but it's a better system imo. The problem with brawl ledges is it's just way too easy to recover, even in the pro scene you seldom see people lose a stock due to edgeguarding, which in my mind removes an entire dynamic that made Smash Bros so special.

Edguarding is a dirty mechanic :c Seriously, it shouldn't be a common way to get KO's, it's dirty as hell! I'd be OK with them reducing the magnet pull of the ledges as long as you don't have to be facing the ledge, Mario users would abuse that too much.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
This thread is full of ****ing babies, that's all I'm really gonna say.

Nobody should look at that video of Sakurai playing as Mega Man and judge from it. it is guaranteed that the physics will look different from what we saw then. The demo is clearly a modified port of Brawl (not a bad thing); Sakurai can change the air dodge anytime he wants to.

Edguarding is a dirty mechanic :c Seriously, it shouldn't be a common way to get KO's, it's dirty as hell! I'd be OK with them reducing the magnet pull of the ledges as long as you don't have to be facing the ledge, Mario users would abuse that too much.

How is it dirty? No one's just going to stand there and wait for you to come back. It's like...me pressuring my opponent into a corner in a traditional fighting game like Street Fighter. Instead of continuing to put pressure on the opponent, I just back away and let him join me mid-screen to fight again. No man, that's not gonna fly.

Instead of relying on what the opponent can't do, learn certain things so that you won't be put into such bad positions. Learn howto DI properly, mix up your recovery patterns, space yourself in recovery so that if they attempt to strike you off stage you can either strike them first or put them into a risky position, sweet spot the ledge! Recovering is just as important as maintaining your position on stage.

As for the Mario thing, I'm a Mario user, and I rarely cape players unless I get a very hard read on where the opponent will come back. For example, I was playing a Meta Knight with my Mario and I noticed his tendency to shuttle loop me near the edge of the stage when do a Short hop Aerial or empty short hop for pressure, so when he grab the edge, he decided to short hop and air dodge to get back on safely, I knew he would shuttle loop to get out of a bad position, so I power-shielded it, jumped, caped him, and immediately grabbed the edge giving me a kill at 40%. The lengths players go through to get gimps are edge guard become much more difficult when you start reading players. COnversly, you can also punish edge guarders with your recovery. Just think outside the box.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Lol everything di dara says makes him sound like a nerdy obese man who plays video games as his main form of fun with his nerd friends. However this man is so obese and losery that he cant even play a video game well, forever doomed to be the biggest nerd in a pool of nerdy losers(smashboards) ive found that the better your social life is and the better your irl coordination is increases your playing time:skill ratio, to the point where very little experience is needed to be good at a simpla video game. Of course, being the loser he is di dara probably gets the wrong idea and probably thinks that only a complete loser would be good at a game(ironic since this man has limbs meaty enough to satisfy all of the hindu gods if sacrificed) this is probably due to di dara having too much nerdites and fat in his blood stream so he cant move a controller fast enough, and most likely in his brain causing ******** means of communication. His diabetes choked brain is likely the reason why he feels that smash is only about the characters, firstly proving hislameness and secondly shedding light on his habits of beating off to anime crossovers and touhou. However, with fat such as his it is no doubt it contaminates other areas. His testicles most likely have had so much flubber injected into them that all the sperms have been cut off from the rest of the body making him ineffective as a man and a child molestor, removing his niche in our society. Another area that rapidly collects his fattyness is his ***, which has been exposed long enough to be softer and finer than any pillow, which would inevitably make him the most popular man in jail and cause his *** to be pounded constantly by many puerto ricans. Thus concludes my soliliquy of how big of a nerd di dara is.
Dude. Have a little more respect for others, hmm?
Half of that was insults and not very informative, so why should one side with you?
You must have severe anger issues or something, but don't take it out on someone and their opinion, that's incredibly ignorant . You're getting mad at him for preferring Brawl and saying that Melee is harder? That's what I take from it. If he thinks that, let him be. Melee is harder. Brawl is easier, I would think a Melee player would establish that by now. I totally agree that Melee requires more skill and whatnot, I can give credit where credits due, and he may be saying it's more hard than it is which is his fault I'll admit, but a simple "I disagree with you and here is why" is more civilized than what you posted. But anyways, that post was unnecessary.

Lol everything di dara says makes him sound like a nerdy obese man who plays video games as his main form of fun with his nerd friends. However this man is so obese and losery that he cant even play a video game well, forever doomed to be the biggest nerd in a pool of nerdy losers(smashboards) ive found that the better your social life is and the better your irl coordination is increases your playing time:skill ratio, to the point where very little experience is needed to be good at a simpla video game. Of course, being the loser he is di dara probably gets the wrong idea and probably thinks that only a complete loser would be good at a game(ironic since this man has limbs meaty enough to satisfy all of the hindu gods if sacrificed) this is probably due to di dara having too much nerdites and fat in his blood stream so he cant move a controller fast enough, and most likely in his brain causing ******** means of communication. His diabetes choked brain is likely the reason why he feels that smash is only about the characters, firstly proving his lameness and secondly shedding light on his habits of beating off to anime crossovers and touhou. However, with fat such as his it is no doubt it contaminates other areas. His testicles most likely have had so much flubber injected into them that all the sperms have been cut off from the rest of the body making him ineffective as a man and a child molestor, removing his niche in our society. Another area that rapidly collects his fattyness is his ***, which has been exposed long enough to be softer and finer than any pillow, which would inevitably make him the most popular man in jail and cause his *** to be pounded constantly by many puerto ricans. Thus concludes my soliliquy of how big of a nerd di dara is.

Takes one to know one.

Morbi

Scavenger
Dude. Have a little more respect for others, hmm?
Half of that was insults and not very informative, so why should one side with you?
You must have severe anger issues or something, but don't take it out on someone and their opinion, that's incredibly ignorant . You're getting mad at him for preferring Brawl and saying that Melee is harder? That's what I take from it. If he thinks that, let him be. Melee is harder. Brawl is easier, I would think a Melee player would establish that by now. I totally agree that Melee requires more skill and whatnot, I can give credit where credits due, and he may be saying it's more hard than it is which is his fault I'll admit, but a simple "I disagree with you and here is why" is more civilized than what you posted. But anyways, that post was unnecessary.
Papa has become somewhat of the forum troll from what I can infer. There is no reason to take his pretentious post seriously, if it bothers you that much, there is a report button.

On topic: I think I will need to wait and see the another version of the game. I think this is a pre-beta build, so there isn't much to discern from the gameplay that will remain relevant once the game launches.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Papa has become somewhat of the forum troll from what I can infer. There is no reason to take his pretentious post seriously, if it bothers you that much, there is a report button.

On topic: I think I will need to wait and see the another version of the game. I think this is a pre-beta build, so there isn't much to discern from the gameplay that will remain relevant once the game launches.

Ah, sorry, it's the first time I've seen him, so I'll take your word for it. I felt trollish nature in there though.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Edge guarding isn't really a dirty thing, think of it this way why would you want to let your opponent get back on stage safely when you could possibly take off a stock right then and there? especially when it isn't guaranteed you'll get a chance to take a stock later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom