• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the SSB4 air dodge allow wavedashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
NO.

As someone who has beaten Champion's Road on Super Mario 3D World, 100%'d Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, completed Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta (Both games that require a huge amount of technical skill) on Very Hard mode, and gotten to third and second places on three Pokemon tournaments (Actual tournaments on Venezuela), I can say that I'm NOT bad at videogames. I love to learn games to the core and become better and better at them, but here's the thing that made W101 and Bayonetta the hardest-to-get-good games I've ever played, the enemies have different strategies and they cycle between them depending on your actions, I have a hard time facing againist someone other than myself, because I don't know how to adapt to different playstyles, even when talking about AI. And that's not something that can be practiced, no matter how hard I practice, I'll never be able to read people and use the best of my abilities againist them, so then what's the point of learning and getting good if I'll never make it far into a tournament or even with my own friends?

Even againist myself, on Project M, while practicing Wavedash, I can now pull it off perfectly every time...once...when I try to chain a wavedash after another, I just airdodge unceremoniously on the spot, this is only made worse by characters with much less lenient Wavedash timings like Bowser, Dedede or DK. And there's nothing I can do that will make me able to chain wavedashes together because when I can't get it right at the 5th try, I'll just turn off the game, my fingers cramp up and I start getting everything wrong because I get frustrated, so I prefer avoiding that frustration, I've made it clear that I'd rather go around a wall or not clear it than having to climb it.

The question, how do you even get better?
Cheap? I fail to see why using these things are cheap. Remember, L-canceling was a fully intentional mechanic. Wavedashing notsomuch, but it's nothing you can't get around.

Edit: You seem to have edited out the cheap bit...

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Cheap? I fail to see why using these things are cheap. Remember, L-canceling was a fully intentional mechanic. Wavedashing notsomuch, but it's nothing you can't get around.

Edit: You seem to have edited out the cheap bit...
Reading it again, it was kinda stupid, I used to be very scrubby, but now I don't consider techniques as 'cheap' as much as before, except things like Sennin Naruto's special move on NUNS2, that IS pretty cheap.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
The developers have the competitive scene in mind for this one, more so than the last 3 games, so the "This game is Mario Party X" argument is kinda baseless.

I would like to see WDashing return, but I would prefer it had custom animation to go along with it, then again, the movement itself is unnatural, so no animation might be able to adopt it. It just looks so jerky when it is pulled off, and clashes with how smooth, for the most part, the characters' animation play out in a match. Then again, dash dancing also looks ridiculous, but I'm talking about how at least each move flow into each other, rather than cancels into one another like other fighters.

NO.

As someone who has beaten Champion's Road on Super Mario 3D World, 100%'d Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, completed Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta (Both games that require a huge amount of technical skill) on Very Hard mode, and gotten to third and second places on three Pokemon tournaments (Actual tournaments on Venezuela), I can say that I'm NOT bad at videogames. I love to learn games to the core and become better and better at them, but here's the thing that made W101 and Bayonetta the hardest-to-get-good games I've ever played, the enemies have different strategies and they cycle between them depending on your actions, I have a hard time facing againist someone other than myself, because I don't know how to adapt to different playstyles, even when talking about AI. And that's not something that can be practiced, no matter how hard I practice, I'll never be able to read people and use the best of my abilities againist them, so then what's the point of learning and getting good if I'll never make it far into a tournament or even with my own friends?

Even againist myself, on Project M, while practicing Wavedash, I can now pull it off perfectly every time...once...when I try to chain a wavedash after another, I just airdodge unceremoniously on the spot, this is only made worse by characters with much less lenient Wavedash timings like Bowser, Dedede or DK. And there's nothing I can do that will make me able to chain wavedashes together because when I can't get it right at the 5th try, I'll just turn off the game, my fingers cramp up and I start getting everything wrong because I get frustrated, so I prefer avoiding that frustration, I've made it clear that I'd rather go around a wall or not clear it than having to climb it.

Honestly, you get better by simply playing more people who are better than you, ask for their advice and trying to add something unique to your game play.

You 're gonna get bopped no doubt--but, you will get better.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Something interesting i found out that this thread is surprisingly topical for.
Right around this timestamp, when jungle japes is shown, there is a scene where mega man dash attacks pit and fox. Fox, instead of teching the wall like i thought he would, air dodges and reverses his momentum, enough to cross him the small gap between the side platform and the main platform in jungle japes (however, he is still affected by gravity it seems, and falls through the now non swimmable water to his death). Could this mean that we can throw momentum into brawl's air dodge, or is it just a glitch?

Last edited:

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
As EPF stated, playing against people that are better than you is a great way to accelerate your overall efficiency at the game. You'll lose a lot, but you'll also adapt very quickly. Just try not to get flustered, and remember that every loss will make you stronger.

The best advice for practicing I've ever gotten: What's important is not how much you train, but how you train. As an artist (I think I recall you stating that you were in school for art) this means not to draw/paint the same things over and over again, but to expand your vision and do things that you're initially unfamiliar and uncomfortable with. This applies to everything really.

A good teacher also helps, but that is a luxury most of us do not have access to.

Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Ive poured over video after video after video looking for details and movelists for characters, and I can say from what there is no wavedashing so far because there is no forward momentum transfer on air dodges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom