• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the Melee Continue?

Eggm

Smash Hero
Well, I don't expect brawl to be a tournament level game until at least a year into it, I'll play both competitively until the community decides if brawl is tournament worthy or not, at that point i'll play melee with brawl as a for fun game or switch to brawl completely if it is a tournament worthy game, everyone should do this. :)

thumbswayup

Smash Master
i agree. if brawl qualifies for competitive tournament play then i have no worries. i still love melee and really don't know how brawl could possibly be better. whatever the case i hope to play both intensely for a long time to come.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Melee activity will most certainly dwindle when Brawl arrives. Naturally, there will be Melee loyalists who keep it going long into Brawl's lifespan, but Brawl will ultimately win out. N64 fans called Melee stupid, but most of them were just too stubborn to embrace a new system. Personally, I am tired of Melee, and I welcome the changes introduced in Brawl.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I can't wait for Brawl, Melee is godly but I am willing and ready to accept change. it's not so much that I am tired of Melee as much as I want to throw myself into the future of Smash. If Brawl is bad(yea, cause that will happen, psh) then I will still continue to play Melee but I want to know what is in store.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Brawl is receiving far more attention than Melee ever did, so we can expect big things from it.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Brawl is receiving far more attention than Melee ever did, so we can expect big things from it.
that doesn't mean anything. everyone ****s up now and then. i'd say it looks like they will now. by making the game for a broader audience they have killed potential tourny play. they figure they'll sell more if it's fun for kids rather than competitive for us. compared to melee, brawl will probably amount to nothing but an entertaining hour or two a week with items on and no one caring who wins.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
that doesn't mean anything. everyone ****s up now and then. i'd say it looks like they will now. by making the game for a broader audience they have killed potential tourny play. they figure they'll sell more if it's fun for kids rather than competitive for us. compared to melee, brawl will probably amount to nothing but an entertaining hour or two a week with items on and no one caring who wins.
Many people said the same thing about Melee. NOW look at it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
that's because the 64 version wasn't as good to begin with. it had a lot of problems and i knew melee would be better than it.
So, now you're a prophet, and you foresee Brawl being a horrible game? Well, that could be debated for weeks until the game comes out. I have met people who genuinely believed that the 64 version was leaps and bounds ahead of Melee. They hated Melee physics and whatnot, but it really came down to them not wanting to learn a new game. Brawl is going to overshadow Melee. There is no question of that.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
no. i am not a prophet, nor do i claim to be one. im simply saying i disliked the 64 version as a competitive game. that and i got sick looking at those bad graphics after a few hours of playing straight. that being said, my opinion is based only upon the footage i have been presented with thus far. brawl could be the best game of the year or the biggest disappointment since devil may cry 2. i am merely saying from the look and play of what we've seen, brawl seems to be targeted to a lower (and frankly less intelligent) age group. so, on that level, it looks as though it will not succeed melee as one of the great competitive games of our time.

Blue_Brawler

Smash Cadet
I think Brawl will be a great game.

And besides that I will continue playing melee.
But from the day I buyed brawl i will play it till it's broken
(What i mean by broken is till I know how it feels like, unlocked much and completed it for a bit)
And if I am like playing another game but still want something like a fighting game or i feel like playing melee and see the differences I will play Melee.
But i DO think that I will play Brawl more..
But that doesn't mean i won't play Melee anymore.
Melee will still be a legendary, nostalgic game in my eyes.

blur

Smash Cadet
lol i feel for you dude i didnt start going hardcore on melee till about a year ago
try not to stress homey. melee was too good i know, thats why people are still going to play and people who have never play will still start. brawl is highly anticipated as either a great game or the crappiest **** ever made, but in my opinion itll still be fun. melee will still be alive no doubt, so please at least give brawl a hint of a good expectation and try to not maul the people who are all giddy about the "new greatest game that will replace the old greatest game". try at least xD

-blur (aka noob marth still trying to somehow get to the big league)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
just to throw this out there.

I love how 90% of the people say Brawl will be competitive, period.

They're not even considering the option that it will cant be competitive, like ALOT of the fighting games in fighting game community.

It's gunna be hysterical if the Smash community completely falls apart and dies bececause of that assumption.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
just to throw this out there.

I love how 90% of the people say Brawl will be competitive, period.

They're not even considering the option that it will cant be competitive, like ALOT of the fighting games in fighting game community.

It's gunna be hysterical if the Smash community completely falls apart and dies bececause of that assumption.
Except... people have played Brawl in its worst form (demo), and they said it will be an awesome game with tons of depth. We're really not worried since the game is built off a tried-and-true formula.

S2

Smash Lord
When Brawl comes out I'm moving on from Melee.

Melee was a great game and it'll always hold a special place as a personal favorite game...

but I'm ready for something new. New strats, new characters, etc.

I'm not going to enjoy re-learning all my technical skill, but you know what, it'll be worth it. Unless Brawl ends up being completely broken, I'm going to spend my time getting good at it.

Melee is great because its familiar. Brawl playing a little different will be both its greatest strength and weakness. When you first start playing, don't expect to be technical or immediately apply your mindgames.

We are all going to suck a bit relearning the game, but as people start getting better at Brawl... its going to simply look archaic to still play only Melee.

__César__

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure, I don't like how Brawl has turned out. Though I really can't say thatsince I haven't played it yet, but watching vids of it make me like Melee even more. . . . .

But the new characters and graphics make it so hard to think its going to dissapoint.
Though no Falcon yet makes me scared lol

Krazy Kanadian

Smash Rookie
I'll definitely be playing Brawl. Since I managed to get a Wii (9 hours in the freezing cold of a wait), I have no worries. Although I've been playing Melee since it's came out, I still love the game, and it's expected I'll be playing even after Brawl is released. But I likethe idea of wifi Smash, alot.

Let's just wait and see, eh? Only got until Feb. 10th, now. ^-^

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
LMFAO, Cesar your sig is ****ing hilarious
QFT. Lolololol.

Melee? It only seems right to move on from Brawl. But sometimes, you do get the old systems out to play your favourite games. Though now, you have a Wii instead of a Gamecube.

Plus, Brawl will last forever, in the words of Sakurai.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I highly doubt Brawl will suck compared to Melee. Stage Builder, Online, better sounds, better tracks(also to the competive side), new characters, new techniques to make up for the loss of wavedash, a way better single player and team player support, and of course a whole new engine.

Perhaps there's a slight possibility Brawl will be less competive compared to Melee, even though you now have all kinds of new techniques and mindgames are more important, but in overall Brawl will be better. There's no doubt in my mind about that. From everything I've seen and played, it rules in comparison to both Melee and 64.

REDFIELD246

Smash Apprentice
Look at it this way: you buy Brawl on launch day and get REALLY good at it. Remember many of the advanced techs in Melee weren't discovered until months/years after its release. The people who get Brawl first and really practice could be the first to uncover many new advanced techs in Brawl.

I picked up Melee competitively this year too (even though I've had it since 2001), but I'm actually really looking forward to making Brawl my main game, and getting very good at that.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I believe that brawl will be a disappointment; not because it will suck, but because it will cower in the shadows of the towering achievement that is melee. Brawl looks to be targeted more towards idiot kids messing around with items and not playing the game seriously That's my greatest fear, anway.
The game is meant to be fun for the most part, you're an idiot for thinking otherwise.

OMG MELEE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS LETS BAN ALL TEH ITAMS!

Tool. :ohwell:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'll probably be all over Brawl once I get it, but as was the case with the 64 version, I will probably start to miss it sometimes and still put that game in my system rather than Brawl. Just for nostalgia reasons then, but I'll mainly be playing Brawl.

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
The simple fact of the matter is that Brawl is going to be another Smash Bros. game. If it moves slower, so be it, but trying to make it appeal to wider audiences doesn't mean that it still isn't a Smash game.
I think that Melee appealed to a wide enough audience as it is. Sure, a casual player would look at you as if you were mad if you talked about wavedashing, SHFFLing, or any kind of Canceling, but the 8-year olds could still turn on all their items and have a fun time.
Brawl will be the same, but I think that if Sakurai truly has 'thought of everything' the core of the gameplay will still be capable of highly competitive actions. Melee isn't as competitive as it is by it's design, it's because the hardcore players have torn it apart and developed these advanced techniques and strategies.
In truth, the real reason that so many advanced things can be done in Smash Bros. games is just because of the percent system. In theory, you can always recover as long as you are crafty enough (obviously this isn't true because of spikes and meteor smashes and other such shenanigans) Since Brawl (obviously) still adopts the percent-based battle system, it will always have the ability to build and use the advanced strategies of recovery and edgeguarding that we use now.
Therefore, they would have to screw up royally to not make Brawl the same party game that it always was, and we would be irresponsible people if we didn't build the competitive game out of it that we did with Melee.
It takes a village to raise a fighting game.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
My friends and I have talked about playing Melee in the future just as we play SSB64 right now. It's a fun novelty to be able to play the older incarnations of a game, but Brawl will definitely be the top priority. And if there was any doubt that the competitive scene will shift to Brawl, I have two words for you: Online mode. With human players always available, Brawl will surely have more of a following.

I don't know if gnuf is right about Halo players going back to Halo 2, but the same WON'T be true of Brawl/Melee. Online mode is available for both Halo 2 and 3, but only Brawl has that option.

The biggest factor I can see playing into Melee's survival is the potential removal of characters. If Ness, Pichu, Dr. Mario and other characters don't make it back for Brawl, I'll be more tempted to dust off the old Melee disc, just to see them again. =P

Luigi_Lova62

Smash Journeyman
I will still continue playin' melee even when brawl comes out.

SSBM has been my favourite game ever since I got it for christmas the last 3 years,
and I'm one of the top players in my school.:)

I don't want 2 let it go.:(

thumbswayup

Smash Master
The game is meant to be fun for the most part, you're an idiot for thinking otherwise.

OMG MELEE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS LETS BAN ALL TEH ITAMS!

Tool. :ohwell:
case in point, one of the idiot kids brawl is targeted at posted. i guess MLG and every person that still plays this game is a tool for banning all items right? honestly, why are you even on smashboards if you play the game in your kiddie version. you must seriously be terrible, now gtfo.

Adict

Smash Cadet
i think melee will still definately be played since some of the more recent updates for brawl have said WD and some more complicated techs will be left out, people will still want to play smash and plus not everyone will have a wii.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
case in point, one of the idiot kids brawl is targeted at posted. i guess MLG and every person that still plays this game is a tool for banning all items right? honestly, why are you even on smashboards if you play the game in your kiddie version. you must seriously be terrible, now gtfo.
Cry moar.

It's a game, not a profession kid, learn it.

I understand you guys who play competitive, banning items and certain stages, and that's fine.

You however, are pretty stupid for flaming people who play it for fun. It's a game, play it however you want.

Top Bottom