• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the Melee Continue?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I'll get straight to the point: I've only been playing this game competitively since january of this year and have gotten very good. I find it frustrating that the enthusiasm for melee is dying out because of the anxious anticipation of brawl. It's almost pointless for me to play anymore because I'd like to get insanely good, but how can I with everyone quitting smash left and right once brawl hits US shelves?

I believe that brawl will be a disappointment; not because it will suck, but because it will cower in the shadows of the towering achievement that is melee. Brawl looks to be targeted more towards idiot kids messing around with items and not playing the game seriously That's my greatest fear, anway.

The real question here is will anyone continue to play melee once brawl invades the US? If brawl is a disappointment, will you continue with melee or drop it forever?

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
If Brawl's a dissapointment, I'll stick with Melee. Heck, I don't really even want Brawl. I'm actually hoping I get a new gamecube and melee for Christmas, since mine are broken. >.<

Vro

Smash Lord
You can't make judgments this early. Melee didn't get as competitive or as deep as it did for many years. Online play and the depth of the game are still to be explored. Don't forget, Brawl IS a fun game.

Also, Smash 64 is still played, not as largely as Melee, but still played. So you can look at it in that respect with Melee to Brawl. It may be different, but there is a reference.

I feel your pain man, I picked up competitive Melee this year.. but be optimistic. Brawl WILL be a good game, regardless of wavedash in or out. There's always more to be found.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You can't make judgments this early. Melee didn't get as competitive or as deep as it did for many years. Online play and the depth of the game are still to be explored. Don't forget, Brawl IS a fun game.

Also, Smash 64 is still played, not as largely as Melee, but still played. So you can look at it in that respect with Melee to Brawl. It may be different, but there is a reference.

I feel your pain man, I picked up competitive Melee this year.. but be optimistic. Brawl WILL be a good game, regardless of wavedash in or out. There's always more to be found.
i hope so. im rooting for brawl, i want it to be good so badly. but if i get my hopes up and it sucks ill be extremely mad. plus, i will always love playing melee.

GOTM

Smash Champion
most people will switch to brawl no matter how many say they wont. melee will still be alive and competitive though, as will 64, i mean, look at 64 now, theres still tournaments and stuff, just not that many.

brawl will be competitive just wait and see. dont judge a game that you've never played.

when gimpy and hugs played it they said it was great, so that should be a good outlook if anything right now

Zelda Master

Smash Journeyman
I still play 64, since I still have it. I have never heard of any tournaments for it though... maybe I'll have to catch it out for where I live.

But Melee forever!

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Lol at you all.

You are comparing Brawl to Melee too much. like you expect it to be a better version of Melee.. its not going to be. Its going to be Its own Game.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
I expect people to still play Melee especially with the shortage of Nintendo Wiis.

Hopefully though come end of January/February anyone who wants a Wii should be able to get one.

I think a fair question to ask would be when did the transistion from Smash 64 goto Melee, and how many years did that take?

AAP

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope so,

i know i was pretty disappointed by one Wii remake already: Super Mario Strikers the GC version was mad fast and so arcade styled, then when i played the Wii version i liked the character choices and they're different abilities but the mad fast button pushing frenzy of the original was lost. the wii version seemed slow and strategic as chess compared to the speed of the GC version.

I sure hope HAL labs sees brawl as a chance to improve on melee not reinvent the game. But i am optimistic, the following associated with Smash Bros. is very dedicated and surely HAL knows they must satisfy the existing fan base. Given that they've integrated the ability to use GC controllers is a real good sign that they're on top of it.

Sliq

Smash Master
The only way I see not playing Brawl if it is worse than Bubsy 3-D, which I doubt.

Zero_P

Smash Ace
Don't worry, melee will still be played by a number of people. Though brawl doesn't look as competitive as melee at the moment you can't say that for sure right now.

L1F3

Smash Cadet
Even when Brawl hits American shelves I will still play Melee. I just hope to comp other games [curently Halo 3, SSBM, and Melty Blood] and I would LIKE Brawl to be on the list.

I will play Melee until I can no longer find spare copies or that the nindento next gen can't support gamecube games.

~L1F3

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
I will play Brawl no matter how good it is. If It sucks, I will play it. If it's good, I'll play it. Simple as that. I play bad games. I can't help it. However, I don't see myself dropping melee, mostly because I can probably get away with taking the Gamecube to college, but if we end up getting a Wii this christmas, that junk is staying home.

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, Melee will remain as the tournament play game while Brawl is the casual play game. This will be due to the fact that getting good in brawl will be alot easier whereas Melee requires more practice and effort. This is just my opinion and I hope Melee lives on!

Deathanchor

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, Melee will remain as the tournament play game while Brawl is the casual play game. This will be due to the fact that getting good in brawl will be alot easier whereas Melee requires more practice and effort. This is just my opinion and I hope Melee lives on!
This is pretty much how I view it too. It has already been confirmed that Brawl will be a lot slower paced than melee. They did this so Brawl would appeal to a "wider" audience, and it wont take as much skill to be good at it as melee was. As most Wii games, Brawl was also an attempt to have everyone be able to play the game. There probably won't be huge tournaments for Brawl like there are for Melee, but I'm sure that there will be a few. Melee forever!!!

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
I still think melee will still be alive after Brawl. And Brawl won't be a disappointment. The creators know that this is a major anticipated game. They won't let us down.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Brawl will not be a disapointment. The creators know that this is a major anticipated game, and they are trying there best to make it perfect. Just cause a lot has changed, doesn't mean that the true style of playing- the game's spirit itself- hasn't died.

And plus, there will still be a ton of melee tournys to go to as well.

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty much how I view it too. It has already been confirmed that Brawl will be a lot slower paced than melee. They did this so Brawl would appeal to a "wider" audience, and it wont take as much skill to be good at it as melee was. As most Wii games, Brawl was also an attempt to have everyone be able to play the game. There probably won't be huge tournaments for Brawl like there are for Melee, but I'm sure that there will be a few. Melee forever!!!
w00tz!!!! I totally agree!!

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
OK, keep playing the same game you've been playing since the Gamecube came out. I'm tired of Melee. I want something new.

smash superstar

Smash Ace
idk i still just have this uhhh. feeling about brawl i just dont know

i know ill still be playing melee from time to time though even with brawl i still play n64 one every now and then

besides though it may seem there is no expert technical stuff yet in brawl we didnt really see any of that in melee right away either

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
Oh please... do you really think there won't be Brawl tournaments, that there won't be Brawl Advanced Techniques?
Brawl will have tournaments the same way Melee did, and a lot of ATs will be found too. Some of them have already been confirmed... (whereas others like wavedashing have been deconfirmed). The point is, noobs and scrubs won't win tournaments, that just cant happen.
I just hope people still go to Melee tournaments, Melee is such a GREAT game and it can't possibly be forgotten because a sequel is released...

Sl1th

Smash Apprentice
Melee will still be huge for tournaments, more-so than brawl I beleive because people will want their Advanced Techs like WD, which apparently are not in Brawl. With Wi-Fi, I think Brawl will be played online more than in tournaments.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
I believe that brawl will be a disappointment; not because it will suck, but because it will cower in the shadows of the towering achievement that is melee. Brawl looks to be targeted more towards idiot kids messing around with items and not playing the game seriously That's my greatest fear, anway.
Melee will still be huge for tournaments, more-so than brawl I beleive because people will want their Advanced Techs like WD, which apparently are not in Brawl. With Wi-Fi, I think Brawl will be played online more than in tournaments.
It sounds like you people haven't seen this thread:

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions

Read the gamer magazine articles that are linked to in that post as well. To sum up what all this means: several pros have already had extensive play-time on a demo version of Brawl and they are already sufficiently impressed. I doubt there is much chance of Brawl being a disappointment.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
im with everyone eles, If brawl sucks then melee it is.
I think we are all too scared, but it happens.
I mean think about this. When halo came out did you think halo 2 COULD be better?(multiplayer of course). Same with the melee, how COULD anyone possibly make a better game than what we have here the great smash 64?
Its happened to me several times yet I never escape that fear that "It just can't be better."

TheLongestShizzle

Smash Rookie
Lol at you all.

You are comparing Brawl to Melee too much. like you expect it to be a better version of Melee.. its not going to be. Its going to be Its own Game.
I'm getting sick of people saying this crap

Sorry, but it is painfully obvious it is a diffrent game. Let's be realistic though. The reason brawl is going to sell so well and why there is so much hype is because of the fan base melee has built for it. Sure Super Smash 64 was a good game, but nothing comparable to melee, and not nearly as successful or competitive. People want to play brawl becaue they want to continue the amazing experiences they had on melee with better graphics, updated characters, new characters, and online play. Plus the endless new features and game modes.

If they stray to far from what they created with Melee, Brawl will be dissapointing. It is a different game but Nintendo didn't just pull it out of thin air, it has roots. True SSB fans just dont want it to be downgraded and that's the bottom line.

So seriously, cut the bullcrap. Saying it's a new game solves nothing and accomplishes even less.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Melee will continue. Maybe it'll continue ONLINE as is using an emulator such as SSB64 did with PG64k.

Despite the fact, I will continue play melee, but I'm not gonna come back until I've had enough with Brawl, then I'll just split between.

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
New advanced techniques will be found in Brawl.

Melee + Brawl tournaments are a possibility since most players will be playing with a GameCube controller, and also, the Wii can play the Melee disc. The only things that people would have to bring would be the copies of Melee and Brawl plus a memory card. This is just an idea... Probably too optimistic of an idea, too.

I personally would love to play both games competitively but, considering how Melee overshadowed the original Super Smash Bros., the competitive scene might shift towards Brawl moreso in the end.

D

Deleted member

I sure hope so,

i know i was pretty disappointed by one Wii remake already: Super Mario Strikers the GC version was mad fast and so arcade styled, then when i played the Wii version i liked the character choices and they're different abilities but the mad fast button pushing frenzy of the original was lost. the wii version seemed slow and strategic as chess compared to the speed of the GC version.

u must suck at charged then because that game can get really fast, turn the difficulty up

brawl1994

Smash Journeyman
Brawl all the way! The second I get brawl, melee goes on a shelf and doesn't come back out (unless my church buys a GC, then i'll bring it there). Brawl will be competitive no matter what, because it was competitive at the demo (they even had a tourny there). Don't worry, Brawl will be amazing!

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
look at halo 3. all the pros are going back to halo 2. just hope that we dont have to do that for brawl =/

AAP

Smash Journeyman
u must suck at charged then because that game can get really fast, turn the difficulty up
Its still not the same, and i was talking about playing other people not the computer. Yea i do suck at charged cause i don't own a Wii. My buddy has charged but anytime i head to his place he's wondering whether i brought the GC version. Its not as clogged up with animations and special moves. just straight up play.

So in relevance to this post... i just hope brawl doesn't get clogged up with gimmicks and is as clean playing and simple as melee with the upgrades of a new platform.

Top Bottom